Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I was able to play crystal chronicles with 4 people in college and to be honest I probably wouldn't buy a remaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yakuza guys new IP, Judge Eyes has a gameplay trailer now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEIlMFq40dQ

The frankensteiner sold me but im worried they are tarting up yakuza with tailing missions and unlocking minigames

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Relax Or DIE posted:

I was able to play crystal chronicles with 4 people in college and to be honest I probably wouldn't buy a remaster

:same:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yakuza guys new IP, Judge Eyes has a gameplay trailer now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEIlMFq40dQ

Some of that chase scene was shot for shot from Shenmue which has me excited tbh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Real hurthling! posted:

The frankensteiner sold me but im worried they are tarting up yakuza with tailing missions and unlocking minigames

The return of the awful chase sequences from Y3-5 is worrying me

E: if they are just Shenmue style it'll be fine but the Yakuza ones where you had to wear down their tiredness bar were awful.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Has judge eyes ever killed or hosed? This is very impotant

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

He has done neither, mainly because the game is not released yet.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd be up for a cross between Yakuza and a detective adventure game, yes.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hell fuckin yeah, Judge Eyes looks incredible. I can’t wait to lock people up dressed as Dracula.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Anybody play the mm11 demo yet?
It has a stage, 2 boss powers, and rush coil unlocked.

Music doesnt rate against the classics, idk ymmv.
Stage is pretty drat hard. Lots of places where you are encouraged to use bullet time to make it through tho they added super easy difficulty modes where you might not have to.
Boss is ok. Seems more about the spectacle of his giant form than anything else tho.
Art is kinda bland.

Not sure if I'll get it for 30 dollars. Having to manage a cooldown for you slowmo meter is a really weird gimmick for megaman but im interested to see what they do with it beyond the demo level.

I got through the demo without using the gear system at all, so it seems good to me. I don't think I ever was that excited about this game's music.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh god why are so many games I want coming out so close together

I already got Dragon Quest XI and I should probably not buy more games until I finish it, but Spider-Man looks extremely fun and Valkyria Chronicles 4 is coming out in a couple weeks. There are just so many good video games to play and so little time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

I got through the demo without using the gear system at all, so it seems good to me. I don't think I ever was that excited about this game's music.

Good job. i got caught in the instant death obstacle courses and crushed by the miniboss without slowmo. Been a while since my last blue bombering

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Spider man looks great and I could not be happier to skip it.

As the threads most well regarded and popular Dragon Quest criticizer, I did pick up DQXI. I'll post longer though when I've had more time with it, since I've only played about 5 hours so far, but for now I'm really enjoying my time with it. My only real complaints are that the music is already kind of grating, and it's a bit more menu-y than it needs to be (but what's new.)

For whatever reason being able to just walk around at will during battles is a delight.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

The joke is that the big evil corporation is using passive-aggressive workplace jargon to invite literal Hell on Earth, not that demons = immigrants or w/e. This is clear to anyone who is familiar with Doom 16's brand of satire.

“Earth is the melting pot of the universe,”
“let’s make our friends feel welcome in their new home,”
“Remember, ‘demon’ can be an offensive term, refer to them as ‘mortally challenged.’”

its 3 jokes that could have easily come from a guy with a pepe avatar if you change a single word. they are not even good jokes, and its clearly a parody of college liberals not corporations. i mean how often do you see corporations going off about melting pots

when i first heard about the doom thing i thought it was only the one about demons being mortally challenged which yeah you can kinda read as mocking corporate speak if you squint. but 3 of them in a small slice of gameplay? at the very least its extremely questionable in the current political climate. the melting pot one is just inexcusable imo

babypolis fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 10, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

Spider man looks great and I could not be happier to skip it.

As the threads most well regarded and popular Dragon Quest criticizer, I did pick up DQXI. I'll post longer though when I've had more time with it, since I've only played about 5 hours so far, but for now I'm really enjoying my time with it. My only real complaints are that the music is already kind of grating, and it's a bit more menu-y than it needs to be (but what's new.)

For whatever reason being able to just walk around at will during battles is a delight.

Yeah the music in DQXI is... it's just not good. There are a couple of decent tracks but ultimately everything sounds really generic and is just really meandering and purposeless. And the overworld theme is just really poorly matched to the game and the chill exploration you do when you're running around the overworld. Even if they'd used the orchestrated soundtrack it wouldn't help all that much but at least there'd be less bad MIDI trumpet sound going around.

I'm starting to wish I'd bought the PC version instead of PS4 so that I could like mod in Dragon Quest VIII's soundtrack or something.

babypolis posted:

when i first heard about the doom thing i thought it was only the one about demons being mortally challenged which yeah you can kinda read as mocking corporate speak if you squint. but 3 of them in a small slice of gameplay? at the very least its extremely questionable in the current political climate. the melting pot one is just inexcusable imo

They're not very good jokes, I think, because it's hard to nail down exactly what they're making fun of. It's equally possible that they're making fun of people who advocate for immigrants and refugees as it is that they're making fun of the UAC's attempt to co-opt that language to make the demon-summoning go down smoother. Basically the jokes are either politically uncomfortable or they're just poorly used, or both.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 10, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

babypolis posted:

“Earth is the melting pot of the universe,”
“let’s make our friends feel welcome in their new home,”
“Remember, ‘demon’ can be an offensive term, refer to them as ‘mortally challenged.’”

its 3 jokes that could have easily come from a guy with a pepe avatar if you change a single word. they are not even good jokes, and its clearly a parody of college liberals not corporations. i mean how often do you see corporations going off about melting pots

yeah uh it's parodying how corporations co-opt liberal speak to normalize actual demons murdering their workers while stripping them of all their rights and ask that they literally submit their souls to satan and you fell for it hook line and sinker

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 10, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
DQ11 is great and it has some heartfelt moments and good puns

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

yeah uh it's parodying how corporations co-opt liberal speak while stripping their workers of everything and ask that they literally submit their souls to satan and you fell for it hook line and sinker

lmao thats not how a corporation would co-opt liberal speak. a corporation would say some poo poo about diversity and breaking barriers and exploring new ideas some garbage like that. if its supposed to mock corporate speak its extremely badly done

again you can kinda squint and make the joke about demons be about corporation but even then it doesnt work, a corporation wouldnt acknowledge theres such a thing as demons, they would say some poo poo like "ignore any rumors about so called "demons" if you see anything unusual report it to hr and continue with your duites blah blah". taken by itself it could be just an akward joke but when in the hell would you see a corporation talking about melting pots? thats a phrase used exclusively to talk about society.

imo it seems like willfull ignorance to deny the clear resemblance to the way fascists talk about immigrants. its a really poor choice of word at best and really loving disgusting at worst

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

yeah uh it's parodying how corporations co-opt liberal speak to normalize actual demons murdering their workers while stripping them of all their rights and ask that they literally submit their souls to satan and you fell for it hook line and sinker

man, starship troopers got me super psyched to join the army and kill some evil bugs!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean the issue with the whole doom eternal thing is that we don't really have the full context for the whole scene yet and presented entirely out of the game's context it's really easy to read lines like that both ways because it's impossible to say whether doom eternal even holds onto the same general point that doom 16 does without, having the full video game to play and look at, and really i wouldn't blame someone for seeing it as a bit of a red flag for the game itself

odds are they're probably presenting it out of context like that specifically to stir this kind of poo poo but that's still worth criticizing if it's the case

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i mean the issue with the whole doom eternal thing is that we don't really have the full context for the whole scene yet and presented entirely out of the game's context it's really easy to read lines like that both ways because it's impossible to say whether doom eternal even holds onto the same general point that doom 16 does without, having the full video game to play and look at

what context do you need? they are clearly throwaway jokes and the resemblance to anti immigrant speech is undeniable. like i said at best its just really inappropriate and dumb and at worst its fascist propaganda

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

man, starship troopers got me super psyched to join the army and kill some evil bugs!

if you want to be a complete moron about it thats cool too

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

babypolis posted:

if you want to be a complete moron about it thats cool too

oh for sure man

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/search?q=%20melting%20pot&src=typd

look at all these people talking about corporations! wow was i wrong

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Given two scenarios, one in which a PR sounding VO is parodying overly politically correct corpo-speak and one in which the ID writers for DOOM are finally getting a chance to insidiously sneak their fascist views into a game trailer, I choose to believe the one that gets me maddest.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Love to listen to big corporations joke about the things big corporations do

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

babypolis posted:

what context do you need? they are clearly throwaway jokes and the resemblance to anti immigrant speech is undeniable. like i said at best its just really inappropriate and dumb and at worst its fascist propaganda

The context is the whole prior Doom game that spent much of its narrative satirizing a big evil unethical corporation that literally opened a portal to Hell to mine cheap energy. That had stuff like employee manuals for what to do if you get possessed by a demon. Within this context it seems highly likely that this next game will continue to satirize corporate PR speak rather than serve as "fascist propaganda" which is a ridiculous conclusion to arrive at outside of our twitter-diseased world.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

lets hang out posted:

Love to listen to big corporations joke about the things big corporations do

I mean, I'm pretty sure my highschool class had more people in it than BethSoft has employees total.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 10, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

PantsBandit posted:

Given two scenarios, one in which a PR sounding VO is parodying overly politically correct corpo-speak and one in which the ID writers for DOOM are finally getting a chance to insidiously sneak their fascist views into a game trailer, I choose to believe the one that gets me maddest.

Welcome to the internet the past year. Everyone's a secret alt right fascist now, with some things VERBOTEN to parody

V holy poo poo lol America has been called a melting pot, fondly, for loving generations. It's a good thing.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

once again thats now how loving corporations speak. as a parody its horrible

meanwhile this is the kind of statements an alt righter would mock

"lets welcome syrian refugees into their new home"

"america is a melting pot"

which one is more similar to the jokes in DOOM

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

id like someone to show me a single loving example of a corporation talking about refugees and melting pots

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Welcome to the internet the past year. Everyone's a secret alt right fascist now, with some things VERBOTEN to parody

V holy poo poo lol America has been called a melting pot, fondly, for loving generations. It's a good thing.

yeah so why the gently caress parody it like that?? why juxtapose it with bad things happening?

i wonder who else likes to do stuff like that...

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

babypolis posted:

yeah so why the gently caress parody it like that?? why juxtapose it with bad things happening?

i wonder who else likes to do stuff like that...

What's your twitter handle

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

UAC doesn't operate on the same scale as the corporations we know. They're like Weyland-Yutani, closer to a government structure than a business-organization. In that sense (especially considering the whole "demons invading Earth" thing is 100% their fault) it makes total sense to me that they'd have some kind of "life with demons" presentation for their employees on Earth.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

UAC doesn't operate on the same scale as the corporations we know. They're like Weyland-Yutani, closer to a government structure than a business-organization. In that sense (especially considering the whole "demons invading Earth" thing is 100% their fault) it makes total sense to me that they'd have some kind of "life with demons" presentation for their employees on Earth.

yeah that just makes the fascist overtones more blatant. its not hard to find some pepe guy saying basically the same thing about germany letting refugees in or whatever the gently caress

like werent we just talking about how incredibly racist gamers are a few pages ago? and now everyone finds the idea of a fash game writer inserting some fash jokes into their game completely unbelievable?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

man you think that's bad, in the wolfenstein series the nazi's have taken over america and drink milkshakes

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

man you think that's bad, in the wolfenstein series the nazi's have taken over america

how can one person be this loving dense christ

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ID is sending really mixed messages. Am I supposed to be a Nazi, or shoot a Nazi? Gimme a break here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

lol goons like doom so i guess everyone will gloss over some pretty lovely jokes, cool cool cool

• Locked thread