Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think I might actually go prepare for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Even north of that. I live in South Central Pennsylvania and at this point we get a flood warning every time there's a shower. Ground has been saturated for two straight months.

I've been in Scotland for vacation and my phone has been getting nonstop flood warnings for where I live in MD since I left.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Yeah this storm gives me the heebie jeebies. More than Sandy did before it hit.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

my kinda ape posted:

I think the zoning board may have dropped the ball here...

I don't know what North Carolina has for laws, but there should be water quality monitoring going on. If the poo poo lagoons are properly built, there isn't any significant seepage into the water table and it's a mostly anaerobic environment which keeps the bacteria levels lower than you'd think. They're also supposed to be built to not overflow based on a certain interval flooding/rainfall probability. Which this hurricane is going to exceed of course, but still...

aphid_licker posted:

Hog farmers need to be hit with the hammer of the fuckin law. Every once in a while I'll get stuck behind a tractor with a tank full of pig poo poo while out running and it is just about the worst smell. They are allowed to just dump it on their fields here because the rules haven't been updated from back when we had mom and pop farms with a couple hogs instead of loving city-sized hog factories

It's good fertilizer.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's good fertilizer.

Until it gets into a lake, water supply, river or ocean. Then it's a problem.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

That Works posted:

i don't live in any of those places so it's a problem for who exactly???????

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

That Works posted:

There was a Jaws-style disaster/horror movie I can't remember the name of now where runoff from chicken farms in Maryland or Delaware or somewhere caused isopods to mutate, get into the water supply, and start eating people from the inside out

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
If the weather gets real bad, you guys ok with some streams in this thread to watch?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

There was a Jaws-style disaster/horror movie I can't remember the name of now where runoff from chicken farms in Maryland or Delaware or somewhere caused isopods to mutate, get into the water supply, and start eating people from the inside out

The Bay, it actually wasn't that bad.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Holy poo poo, I thought you guys were kidding about Martello.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

So when weather keeps up like this, what does that do over the long term to the terrain there? More coastal swamps?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Reading FB comments on the ''cop shoots man for being black while residing''.
People are literally loving insane. These are comments from regular news sites.

quote:

More details are emerging. Have read that this officer was returning home after a FIFTEEN HOUR shift. Dallas has had a tremendously difficult time hiring and retaining officers; democrats have been in charge for a couple of decades now and have run the city into the ground.

Attrition is horrible, officers leaving in droves due to pay issues, stupid management, pension fund problems, and a mayor and council more concerned with political expediency than public safety.

If double shifts are being required, it would not be beyond the realm of possibility that an exhausted person could enter an elevator, press the wrong button and exit to the wrong floor without noticing. I've done this wide awake in a hotel.

This is a tragedy for all involved. If the bureaucrats in Dallas (and elsewhere) would stop squandering money on stupidity (like removing Confederate statues from public parks, as Dallas did last summer, $500,000 wasted) and start paying attention to REAL priorities, we'd all be better off.

If these details are true, this needless death is another tragic affect of bureaucratic ineptitude and stupidity.

quote:

This is just a terrible mistake! Doing the job she does, 14hr crime scene😞 It’s not like she set out and premeditate to kill him! She’s being charged and will get her day in court! Just a terrible tragedy 😞

quote:

maybe a burglar that wanted to rape someone would answer the door in underwear? Maybe a crazy person? Maybe a whole lotta Things.

Blue Lives Matter, the usual vet flake FB sites and such, they have mostly criticized the chief for handling this issue and how she is a disgrace for railroading the cop. Why yes, she is a black woman, the true criminal in this story.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm supposed to fly Denver to NJ on a red eye Sunday evenning. ....wonder what will happen

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Vahakyla posted:

Reading FB comments on the ''cop shoots man for being black while residing''.
People are literally loving insane. These are comments from regular news sites.

Regular news sites have had weird comments for years. Probably since the foundation of news papers and letters to the editor. People are weird yo.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought you guys were kidding about Martello.

Is this actually Martello, or a guy who happens to look exactly like him?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Guy that looks identical to Martello that's a former active turned NG Major with a recent-ish tour to Afghanistan?

The original acrticle when it happened provided more background.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Waroduce posted:

I'm supposed to fly Denver to NJ on a red eye Sunday evenning. ....wonder what will happen

Newark is always hosed, so in that regard your travel plans shouldn't change dramatically.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My dad has worked a lot of double shifts across 30+ years of law enforcement, and hasn't shot anybody yet.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vasudus posted:

Guy that looks identical to Martello that's a former active turned NG Major with a recent-ish tour to Afghanistan?

The original acrticle when it happened provided more background.

TV Tropes. Not even once.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
They're going to have to add "I promise you don't live here" to this sign

https://twitter.com/_SJPeace_/status/1038156540518297601

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

psydude posted:

Is this actually Martello, or a guy who happens to look exactly like him?

Either way, the video of that shoot is hosed. That cop just shot for no real reason.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

They're going to have to add "I promise you don't live here" to this sign

https://twitter.com/_SJPeace_/status/1038156540518297601

Dunno if this will make more or less likely for buddy to get shot.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Some pro-Martello demonstrators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPauC7kP7hY

My favorite is the guy with the following sign:

code:
LAW 
ENFORCEMENT
PROTECT 

WEAPON
SELF
PUBLIC

THANKS
Cops: Here to protect weapon!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

That Works posted:

I hate it when the Simpsons kind of predicts the future. No dome big enough to put over North Carolina though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Either way, the video of that shoot is hosed. That cop just shot for no real reason.

It’s not just a cop. It’s him, and he immediately felt loving remorse afterwards like “what the gently caress have I done?” according to the original article. It’s a lovely situation.

With that said it’s not break into someone else’s apartment and shoot them in their underwear bad but still.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Probably feeling more remorseful about losing his job than actually killing someone

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Welp, mom won't leave unless the evacuation is mandatory.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Third World Reggin posted:

If the weather gets real bad, you guys ok with some streams in this thread to watch?

I'd be okay with it (for whatever that's worth), but a new one-off thread for the storm wouldn't be terrible either.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

EBB posted:

At that point evacuation is a loving struggle due to the traffic. Especially if they don't have lots of evacuation routes set up.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Double post

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

EBB posted:

Tell your mom that a guy who used to work for FEMA said that the evacuation will become mandatory by Wednesday Morning or so.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thanks fellas. I try my best with her, she just really will not do things unless she wants to.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
On the other side of the equation, my mom is trying to convince me that I need to evacuate and stay with her because of flooding. I live in a big concrete complex up high in an area that has ample drainage and not normally a flood risk.

Moms: no sense of right and wrong

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vasudus posted:

On the other side of the equation, my mom is trying to convince me that I need to evacuate and stay with her because of flooding. I live in a big concrete complex up high in an area that has ample drainage and not normally a flood risk.

Moms: no sense of right and wrong

They love you bubbee.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

redneck nazgul posted:

In other "Holy gently caress, Hurricane Florence is going to kill people" news, North Carolina has a bunch of giant hog farms. Specifically, the type that have giant lagoons of pig poo poo that just festers because it's cheaper to buy up a couple adjacent acres and build a basin than it is to responsibly dispose of it. They look like this.

And they're basically giant pools of cholera, E. coli, and whatever other horrible pestilence you'd get from literal pig poo poo festering in the sun. Hurricane/Biblical-style flooding like after Hurricane Floyd in 1999 leads to things like this happening.

Yes, that's a river next to the poo poo lagoon. The entire water system around the area becomes hosed and toxic.

This is a map of North Carolina. The pink dots are hog farms.

They're going to flood and the dumb fuckers will shrug because regulation/gods will.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're going to flood and the dumb fuckers will shrug because regulation/gods will.

Was it North Carolina who made it illegal to measure the sea levels?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Defenestrategy posted:

Dunno if this will make more or less likely for buddy to get shot.

The anti-vaxxers will surely protect them.

BigDave posted:

Was it North Carolina who made it illegal to measure the sea levels?

God I can't recall. I'm pretty sure they can't mention it in my former home state of Florida but who knows what stupid poo poo they do all the time in the rest of the south. Florida's not unique lol

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Double check life and homeowners insurance

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EBB posted:

Thanks fellas. I try my best with her, she just really will not do things unless she wants to.

Feel free to tell your mom any of this if its useful.

I've evacuated for >20 hurricanes in my life. Only once did we get any real damage / flooding to the property, so I can see why someone would start to feel like it's not worth leaving over.

When Katrina came my dad waited until the last possible day to evacuate because he kept saying it was going to turn or going to weaken, just like everything else had in the past 20+ yrs. (Andrew turned at the last minute sparing our town and redistributing most of central LA instead). I was just starting my 1st week of grad school and was already out of town. So, my dad and mom at the age of 67 and 65 packed up the car in a hurry, left their cat and both dogs behind and got in a car. They had to beg for gasoline halfway through the trip because after waiting 3 hours in line the station closed due to being out of fuel. After 36 hours in the car taking what is typically a 6hr trip to Alexandria, LA well inland, my dad has been near delirious and drifting in and out of coherence for the past 12 hours. About 20 minutes before getting to extended families house my dad starts convulsing and going into shallow breathing. He holds on until they get to destination, manages to get out of the car and says "I don't feel well", walks inside the house and sits on the couch and dies from heart failure less than 5 minutes later.

If they had taken this trip a day or two before, they could have gone to an ER and gotten my dad stabilized and then sheltered there, or had him evacuated to an inland hospital. Given the perpetual gridlock and now absence of cell service (overloaded), they had fewer options and were making bad decisions on no sleep.

Even in Alexandria, a 6 hour drive inland not directly affected, they had to wait over an hour for 1st responders to arrive. The next day most of the stores nearby were out of water, perishable foods and gasoline with gasoline shortages / none at all occurring off and on for the next 14 days. Power was intermittent, going on and off for upwards of a day at a time for the next week. This was in an area not even directly affected by the storm apart from some rain and low level flooding.

Cell and text service was practically nonexistent for almost a month as well. We knew 3 days after the storm that the house had been completely underwater with it going over the roof, so all the pets had died. It was >10 days before the Nat. Guard would even let us in to see if we could salvage anything from the house. We were lucky to even get that. Of the ~20 houses on our street ours was one of about 6 that was still even there. The rest had washed off their foundations and been churned up or simply floated / blown out into the Mississippi or the gulf swamp on the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

EBB posted:

At least have her get a bunch of water bottles and dried food prepared. Flashlights, pet food if you got them. If she keeps family photos, keep that poo poo prepared in air/watertight cases. poo poo like that.

• Locked thread