Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I read the book after seeing the film and was surprised by how much of a slimy nothing Hammond was in the book.

It did make clear how much Spielberg was drawing parallels between filmmaking and the park itself, considering how much emotional investment was placed in nuHammond

Also the book had the fractal diagrams, as a kid I never understood why Malcolm was there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Jurassic Park the book taught me about sex, in a very Discovery Channel fashion except it's text so what exactly is happening is made clear. I still vividly remember reading that part on the playground (because I was and remain a total dork.)

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Can I get some recommendations for yakuza films. I’ve become obsessed with the Yakuza games

Ichi the Killer and Gozu :getin:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I liked Johnny Mnemonic personally

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Can I get some recommendations for yakuza films. I’ve become obsessed with the Yakuza games

Deadly Outlaw Rekka. Shinjuku Triad Society. Rainy Dog. Ley Lines.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Black Rain!

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I just watched Hardcore Henry and The Book of Henry. Back-to-back. Was rough. Now I'm going to have a difficult time making friends with anyone named Henry for the rest of my life because of these horrible past 3 hours.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Budgie Jumping posted:

I just watched Hardcore Henry and The Book of Henry. Back-to-back. Was rough. Now I'm going to have a difficult time making friends with anyone named Henry for the rest of my life because of these horrible past 3 hours.

Why would you omit the best chapter of the Henry trilogy, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Also, the titles of these three movies are basically interchangeable.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bushisms.txt posted:

The only thing Crichton is good for is digestible minutiae and big picture. But the books are little more than the first idea he thought of while doing a gently caress ton of research into something cool sounding. So he's like the Ridley Scott of books.

Yeah. I've mentioned this before, but he was convinced that mad cow disease was going to be an extinction-level event, so he has Malcolm and Levine babbling about prions for like 50 pages at the end of The Lost World.

In other news, two of my friends promised me today that if I cark it before they do, they're going to do the Mamushka at my memorial service.

Edit: Although one of them said he was worried that I'd pop out of my coffin to deliver the "WAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIT!" bit.

Timby fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 10, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Jurassic Park books are dope because they're reasonably entertaining (if messy) thrillers that play with some cool concepts and contain characters monologing about interesting scientific topics. The second book has a whole mystery subplot based on poorly wiped corporate harddrives and I love it.

Like, yeah, they're super flawed and there's a ton of wasted potential. But they're a collection of neat ideas executed entertainingly. It's airport fiction.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
How's the prose?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

A Colt is My Passport
(The final shootout is one of my favourite gunfights in any film ever)
Outlaw Gangster VIP
(Five films all of them released in the same year except the last all of them basically variations of the first film. Gritty films about a low level thug that keeps getting in over his head)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How's the prose?

It's written by a medical doctor, it sucks.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's written by a medical doctor, it sucks.

Now now, some of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's stuff is readable.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

feedmyleg posted:

The Jurassic Park books are dope because they're reasonably entertaining (if messy) thrillers that play with some cool concepts and contain characters monologing about interesting scientific topics. The second book has a whole mystery subplot based on poorly wiped corporate harddrives and I love it.

Like, yeah, they're super flawed and there's a ton of wasted potential. But they're a collection of neat ideas executed entertainingly. It's airport fiction.

I’ve read a few other Crichtons (mostly in high school but I did read The Terminal Man earlier this year) and this is basically his career in a nutshell. Goofy, simple, low-stakes reading with fun action and neat sci-fi concepts. “Good enough”

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Teenage Fansub posted:

BlacKkKlansman will 100% be in for Best Picture and probably Director. Probably Roma for the same. I think Black Panther will be nominated for Best Picture (and maybe just that except for technicals), First Reformed for Best Pic and Actor (maybe Director for nod to Schrader's career in his old age), The Favourite for it's Actresses (maybe dark horse for Picture and Director), Widows somewhere in Actresses, Director and Film depending on how it goes, I think Toni Collette will be in there for Hereditary (and that'll be it for the movie). Apparently Beautiful Boy's a sure thing for Chalamet. Backseat's probably going to be a boring nomination filler with no wins.

Maybes to Beale Street (probably good, but might get a snub for Pic and Dir so soon after Moonlight), Leave No Trace to get a female Director in there (and maybe the young girl for an 'aww' factor), Destroyer's a question mark. They might remember You Were Never Really Here but I think it'll be snubbed, First Man and A Star Is Born might be right in there or total turds. Maybe Chazelle's nom'd just to make good make for the envelope flub.

Backseat will probably be favoured over The Front Runner as a political movie, so TFR'll get completely snubbed.

Grade Eight and Sorry To Bother You haven't screened here, so :shrug:

Snoop Dogg for Best Supporting Actor in The Beach Bum.

I think First Reformed's presence will depend on how strong they campaign because it's a very alienating film that would usually turn the Academy off. If it gets in, it will likely be as an Acting nod for Hawke or a screenplay nod to Schrader, despite this it is the best film of the year.

First Man and A Star Is Born are currently guarantees. BlacKkKlansman is a strong possibility, but I wouldn't put it at 100%. I'd say Beale Street and Black Panther have stronger guarantees for nominations, Sorry to Bother You being a longshot for any nominations but not completely out of the running. Honestly, Blindspotting is one that ought to be in talks but it seems to be getting sidelined -- if the studio pushes it hard though it's absolutely the type of social issues movie the Academy loves that also manages to be legit good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. Star is gonna be there looking at TIFF reactions. It didn't have any reviews a couple days ago.
I was trying to think of the title to Blindspotting, which also didn't play here in New Zealand. Guess we're lucky we even got Klansman.
I bet we're only gonna see a couple of "urban, you know what I mean, and that includes Black Panther" movies get big multi-category pushes, so as not to alienate the voters or some such crap.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

So, my girlfriend made me watch Bee Movie last night. And her only explanation for why we were watching it was "I had to watch it so so do you." And, what an absolutely nightmarish terrifying movie.

Some facts about Bee Movie:

- Bee Movie was released in 2007.
- Bee Movie is 11 years old.
- George W. Bush was still President when Bee Movie was released.
- Bee Movie was released closer to 9/11 than to the 2016 elections.
- Bee Movie was released closer to the series finale of Seinfeld than to the present day.
- All the bees in Bee Movie are coded as Jewish.
- Chris Rock plays a mosquito trying to get to Alaska so he can get high on moose blood. The mosquitos -- blood sucking parasites -- are all coded as black.
- The first act conflict of Bee Movie is that bee Barry B. Benson (Jerry Seinfeld) is horrified at the prospect of having a single, menial job for the rest of his life.
- The third act conflict of Bee Movie is that Barry has successfully sued the human race for honey theft and bee slavery, winning the bees back all their honey. With a surplus of honey, the bees decide to stop working, which leads to a lack of pollination and the death of all plant life on Earth.
- The moral of Bee Movie is that capitalism is a necessity to keep society thriving, there is happiness in work, and a redistribution of resources will make the workers lazy and cause the global order to collapse.
- Ray Liotta plays himself in Bee Movie ranting about honey.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's sort of funny how Jerry Seinfeld has done maybe four things since his sitcom ended and Bee Movie is one of them.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Yes, Bee Movie is extremely good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

1: Told David Letterman's audience not to laugh at Michael Richards
2: Bee Movie
3: Curb reunion
4: Whine about PC college students

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Teenage Fansub posted:

5. Done lovely stand-up while turning into a virtual lookalike for Matt Lauer

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Oddly Seinfeld has never really been a feature film actor. He's got that one documentary he did, and some cameo appearances, and Bee Movie.

Teenage Fansub posted:

He did some guest spots on beloved and revered comedian Louis C.K.'s show about feeling bad all the time.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Why would you omit the best chapter of the Henry trilogy, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

I thought about this, but the whole point of this double feature was that they're both terrible movies with Henry in their titles. I hear Serial Killer Henry is actually good!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
y’all are forgetting dating a high schooler and his sitcom ushering in a new wave of white nationalism and the Trump presidency via Steve Bannon.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's some mailer out advertising a standup appearance for him at NJPAC and he looks like a mob guy on it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Budgie Jumping posted:

I thought about this, but the whole point of this double feature was that they're both terrible movies with Henry in their titles. I hear Serial Killer Henry is actually good!

then you add henry fool as well to balance things

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Budgie Jumping posted:

Hardcore Henry rules and I don't understand why anyone would dislike it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

There's some mailer out advertising a standup appearance for him at NJPAC and he looks like a mob guy on it.

The idea of going to see Jerry Seinfeld standup is the funniest thing to me. Without a doubt the stand-up bits in the show are the weakest parts, I only laughed at one stand-up joke in the entire series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's got that Copley stank on it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Budgie Jumping posted:

How about Henry V (1989)?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The idea of going to see Jerry Seinfeld standup is the funniest thing to me. Without a doubt the stand-up bits in the show are the weakest parts, I only laughed at one stand-up joke in the entire series.

I thought that was the joke, though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

It was so damned boring! Like watching someone else play a video game.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

It was pretty hard to follow in the theater, and there was at least one joke that really didn't land and kinda soured me on the movie.

Then I rewatched it on Netflix and, not only did the smaller screen make it way easier to keep up with, but that joke somehow vanished from the movie!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's got that Copley stank on it.

A: Sharlto Copley rules

B: Blindspotting is an Oscar favorite but only for the newly created category Best Use Of A Post-Green Album Weezer Single

And yes, Jackass 3D will be grandfathered in.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I thought that was the joke, though.

I'm not necessarily sure about that. Seinfeld's apartment in the show was relatively huge, and he bought his parents a Cadillac with cash, so he was clearly well-to-do and successful.

He's a massive prick in real life, though. I dealt with a lot of celebrities during my hotel career, and he was by far the most intolerable.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Timby posted:

I'm not necessarily sure about that. Seinfeld's apartment in the show was relatively huge, and he bought his parents a Cadillac with cash, so he was clearly well-to-do and successful.

He's a massive prick in real life, though. I dealt with a lot of celebrities during my hotel career, and he was by far the most intolerable.

Even if you don't want to get into specifics, I'd love to hear a quick hits list of the other pricks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Power of Pecota posted:

Even if you don't want to get into specifics, I'd love to hear a quick hits list of the other pricks.

Off the top of my head:

- Bill Cosby (obviously)
- Elvis Costello
- Robert Irvine
- BB King
- Lyle Lovett
- Dusty Hill (although Billy Gibbons is just a complete gentleman)

Anthony Bourdain was also a dick to the front desk staff, but a total sweetheart in the restaurant.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Timby posted:

He did an AMA on reddit and was such a dick during the whole thing. It's weird when a comedian comes off as humourless but he totally did.

A bit bummed that Costello is an rear end, I like his music a lot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A bit bummed that Costello is an rear end, I like his music a lot.

Yeah, I had to personally deal with him and his entourage and it was a hoot and a half.

The aliases these people use to check in can get ridiculous, too. I won't name names, obviously, but we're talking "Ron Mexico" levels of absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I hope to god that means Elvis Costello actually uses the name Napoleon Dynamite to check into hotels.

• Locked thread