Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

My dad has worked a lot of double shifts across 30+ years of law enforcement, and hasn't shot anybody yet.

Sounds like a waste of tax dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

A serious pro-click for people that think "oh hurricanes aren't all that dangerous"

https://www.wunderground.com/resources/education/hugo1.asp

tl;dr P3 Orions are tough loving aircraft.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MA-Horus posted:

A serious pro-click for people that think "oh hurricanes aren't all that dangerous"

I love how the P3 Orion's turbines are just inverted versions of the C-130 turbines :)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's good fertilizer.

Yeah but after a certain point fertilizing turns into dumping the waste from your industrial pork enterprise on the fuckin ground.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Milo and POTUS posted:

At least have her get a bunch of water bottles and dried food prepared. Flashlights, pet food if you got them. If she keeps family photos, keep that poo poo prepared in air/watertight cases. poo poo like that.

My mother laughed at me for having a flash light. Since all phones are a flash light. Why would you want something not a phone as a flash light.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's good fertilizer.

Yeah, but unlike horse manure, generally isn't easily confined because they just have massive LAKES of hog poo poo/piss. And Hogs are notorious for being disease vectors.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Third World Reggin posted:

My mother laughed at me for having a flash light. Since all phones are a flash light. Why would you want something not a phone as a flash light.

That reminds me, D&D was circular fire squading itself a month or two ago about how only white people owned flashlights and it was a classist thing or some other bullshit.*

*I own three flashlights and two headlamps. :shrug:

That Works posted:

Feel free to tell your mom any of this if its useful.

Yeah, this is def. something people don't realize or factor when it comes to evacuating or preparing ahead of time. A day, hell, hours can make a massive difference in getting out of an evacuation zone and stressing the gently caress out over gas or gridlock. Casualties from people just stroking out in traffic or whatever are a thing that gets accounted for, that's how much of a problem it can be.

And people with pets, if you don't have food that's easy to transport along with leashes and whatnot, change that. The whole thing about shelters not letting pets in, after Katrina, even FEMA under Bush knew how much of a loving problem that was because a ton of people would opt to stay home with their pets and what not. So they started pushing regional and state EMA's to start planning for animal sheltering or letting people bring their pets in so long as they were crated, etc. I have no idea how much the program has moved forward since I stopped working with FEMA, but I can't imagine it's regressed much.

The beauty of FEMA's guidelines is that when they get pushed down to the state and local level agencies, even when someone as dumb as Trump gets elected, the state and local level stuff usually remains in place without change. You'll also find that even the most vocal "small government" types in areas commonly impacted by hurricanes and storms, tend to leave EMA agencies the gently caress alone.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Brother lives in Wilmington. Is it about to be hosed?

e: oh hey Hugo, the hurricane that hosed up our house when I was 5 and gave me a lifelong thunderstorm apprehension.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

MA-Horus posted:

That story is loving nuts.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
As a veteran of many ”almost mandatory evacuation” falls in Charleston at the heart of low country where light rain causes flooding, I’ve had two autumns where water was one inch from the very raised, mostly waterproof treshold. We’d had carried all stuff upstairs, and our rucksacks were packed with survival gear and thr cars were loaded, with 5 ferrets, three cats, and two dogs, and two bunnies, between two cars.

The water started going down on day three, so we never left. However, being so close to coast, and kayaking on our street, one thing that is cheap and handy is a simple Maritime handheld emergency VHF is a great buy for 30 bucks. In places like Charleston and other coastal areas, the coast guard will boat on streets, can be reached from radio ”I’m on the roof of a house at 27 Paddlecreek Avenue” is enough for them to figure out where to sail.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Bolton is threatening the ICC with sanctions:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/09/threatens-icc-judges-sanctions-180910113100340.html

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Vahakyla posted:

As a veteran of many ”almost mandatory evacuation” falls in Charleston at the heart of low country where light rain causes flooding, I’ve had two autumns where water was one inch from the very raised, mostly waterproof treshold. We’d had carried all stuff upstairs, and our rucksacks were packed with survival gear and thr cars were loaded, with 5 ferrets, three cats, and two dogs, and two bunnies, between two cars.

The water started going down on day three, so we never left. However, being so close to coast, and kayaking on our street, one thing that is cheap and handy is a simple Maritime handheld emergency VHF is a great buy for 30 bucks. In places like Charleston and other coastal areas, the coast guard will boat on streets, can be reached from radio ”I’m on the roof of a house at 27 Paddlecreek Avenue” is enough for them to figure out where to sail.

This. VHF channel 16 will be used by anyone with a good boating setup and for Harvey and other storms recently stuff like the "Cajun Navy" can use these reports as well to send a boat over to help out.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

This walrus looking motherfucker deserves to die making GBS threads himself in squalor and ignored by all

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

This walrus looking motherfucker deserves to die making GBS threads himself in squalor and ignored by all

Ah yes, the Caro "special", excellent choice sir.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

What a stupid motherfucker. Can't wait to see how that works out for them when they sanction some Dutch prosecutor because they hurt President Piss Baby's feelings.

Also love the whole "We're gonna kick out the PLO's station in DC because they have the audacity to go to the ICC with complaints about Israel!"

gently caress these people.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
After Katrina and Issac I have zero loving stomach for weathering a storm in place, even with ample supplies. Hatch down your poo poo and take a 4 day Airbnb vacation and let the insurance people sort it the gently caress out.

Also make sure you have wind / flood / storm / fire / whatever homeowners insurance

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pretty loving rich to accuse somebody who isn't Israel of holding up the peace process.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
from gbs

this should be normal, but navy heading out due to weather

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/us-fleet-forces-prepares-to-move-out-for-hurricane-florence/1427422328

quote:

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) -- U.S. Navy Ships with the U.S. Fleet Forces (USFF) Command in the Hampton Roads area are making final preparations this weekend in anticipation of Sortie Condition Charlie if needed, U.S. Fleet Forces Public Affairs states in press release.

sucks if you are still in

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Brother lives in Wilmington. Is it about to be hosed?

e: oh hey Hugo, the hurricane that hosed up our house when I was 5 and gave me a lifelong thunderstorm apprehension.

My aunt lives there too. Looks like it’s directly in the path.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thanks again guys. I shared your stories and advice with Mom and they've already got the shopping done. The point got across because this is one of the rare times where I sound scared to her. She won't leave but they've got gas cans filled to go.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DoktorLoken posted:

My aunt lives there too. Looks like it’s directly in the path.

Deus vult.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

redneck nazgul posted:

In other "Holy gently caress, Hurricane Florence is going to kill people" news, North Carolina has a bunch of giant hog farms. Specifically, the type that have giant lagoons of pig poo poo that just festers because it's cheaper to buy up a couple adjacent acres and build a basin than it is to responsibly dispose of it. They look like this.

And they're basically giant pools of cholera, E. coli, and whatever other horrible pestilence you'd get from literal pig poo poo festering in the sun. Hurricane/Biblical-style flooding like after Hurricane Floyd in 1999 leads to things like this happening.

Yes, that's a river next to the poo poo lagoon. The entire water system around the area becomes hosed and toxic.

This is a map of North Carolina. The pink dots are hog farms.

Oh boy a chance to post my favorite hosed up article. This was actually the first thing I thought of when I saw the storm tracks:

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/boss-hog-the-dark-side-of-americas-top-pork-producer-68087/

quote:

The drugs Smithfield administers to its pigs, of course, exit its hog houses in pig poo poo. Industrial pig waste also contains a host of other toxic substances: ammonia, methane, hydrogen sulfide, carbon monoxide, cyanide, phosphorous, nitrates and heavy metals. In addition, the waste nurses more than 100 microbial pathogens that can cause illness in humans, including salmonella, cryptosporidium, streptocolli and girardia. Each gram of hog poo poo can contain as much as 100 million fecal coliform bacteria.

Smithfield’s holding ponds – the company calls them lagoons – cover as much as 120,000 square feet. The area around a single slaughterhouse can contain hundreds of lagoons, some of which run thirty feet deep. The liquid in them is not brown. The interactions between the bacteria and blood and afterbirths and stillborn piglets and urine and excrement and chemicals and drugs turn the lagoons pink.

and another little tidbit

quote:

Spills aren’t the worst thing that can happen to toxic pig waste lying exposed in fields and lagoons. Hurricanes are worse. In 1999. Hurricane Floyd washed 120,000.000 gallons of unsheltered hog waste into the Tar, Neuse, Roanoke, Pamlico, New and Cape Fear rivers. Many of the pig-poo poo lagoons of eastern North Carolina were several feet underwater. Satellite photographs show a dark brown tide closing over the region’s waterways, converging on the Albemarle-Pamlico Sound and feeding itself out to sea in a long, well-defined channel. Very little freshwater marine life remained behind. Tens of thousands of drowned pigs were strewn across the land. Beaches located miles from Smithfield lagoons were slathered in feces. A picture taken at the time shows a shark eating a dead pig three miles off the North Carolina coast.

Read the whole thing if you want fun stories about people drowning in pig lagoons or dying of poisonous fumes downwind of them.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Oh boy a chance to post my favorite hosed up article. This was actually the first thing I thought of when I saw the storm tracks:

Has NC done anything to regulate this or lol it's legislator has been controlled by Republicans so of course not?

Also, Florence is a Cat 4 already

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.336774928507

Thats not good, they said it wouldn't intensify into a 4 until tomorrow..

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

At this point, calling it the "Peace Process" feels positively Orwellian

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah I'm going grocery shopping today. Not because I'm that worried, but because the place will be picked clean by Wednesday when I was planning on going.

I told my PM I'm not working on-site Thursday because if metro floods out I'm not taking any chances.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Fu-v490-c

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Silver lining, maybe this will cancel the team building exercise my office is holding on Friday that I have no interest going to.

Also gonna make a Costco and grocery run tonight, weeeeeee. Also replaced my grills propane tank a few weeks back so I'm good on that front if I lose power.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Holy gently caress this thing is gonna have a body count higher then Katerina.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Ron White was the only one from the Blue Collar Comedy Tour guys that I always enjoyed. Haven't checked on him lately so, hopefully he's not a chud (probably is)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BigDave posted:

Doubtful. Unless you really mean some Hurricane named Katerina rather than Katrina.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Can't wait for the plague beast nurgle fest that will be North Carolina after hundreds of Hog Lagoons are spread everywhere.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
I wonder if we’ll see our first cat 6 hurricane this year

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
So very much not regretting transferring from DC to LA and selling house last month.

Seven hurricanes in Miami in the early 2000s were enough for me.

Get out, goons.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

So very much not regretting transferring from DC to LA and selling house last month.

Seven hurricanes in Miami in the early 2000s were enough for me.

Get out, goons.

You ever coming back to discord you old gently caress

Are you the right SpongeBob because if not sorry

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 10, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BigDave posted:

This isn’t Puerto Rico. Help will come unless someone points out that there’s a lot of brown people there.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
All I want to do is retire near water before I’m half in the grave. But trying to forecast where the edge of the water and death zone will be is a real pain.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

All I want to do is retire near water before I’m half in the grave. But trying to forecast where the edge of the water and death zone will be is a real pain.

And a lot of banks/insurance groups are cutting back on coverage/loans to waterfront property near the ocean. Good luck.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Friend, have you heard the good news called the Great Lakes? Sure it is a cold hellscape for half the year but, the other half is pleasant.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nick Soapdish posted:

Friend, have you heard the good news called the Great Lakes? Sure it is a cold hellscape for half the year but, the other half is pleasant.

And thanks to global warming, can now more easily spawn their own hell funnels! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

BigDave posted:

LingcodKilla posted:

This isn’t Puerto Rico. Help will come unless someone points out that there’s a lot of brown people there.

Notice he said "Katerina" but he meant "Katrina" also he didn't say Maria, so he is technically correct.

• Locked thread