Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Our builder is putting a Zephyr insert into our custom hood, they have under cabinet models as well. I would check with local appliance and kitchen appliance dealers in your area. They'll have better options than the big box stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Spending some money on a range hood can be a great quality of life improvement if you're cooking a lot. My inlaws have one that is quieter on high than mine on low and actually extracts smoke and the like on all speeds.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I'm cooking a lot and I hate the smoke, but my stupid range is on the island with high ceilings over it. What are my options?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm cooking a lot and I hate the smoke, but my stupid range is on the island with high ceilings over it. What are my options?

Throw money at the problem.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Just build a chimney above your island going up through the ceiling.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Remodel your kitchen to put your range up against the wall.

H110Hawk posted:

Throw money at the problem.

Also

https://www.google.com/search?q=kit...iw=1366&bih=641

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheWevel posted:

Our builder is putting a Zephyr insert into our custom hood, they have under cabinet models as well. I would check with local appliance and kitchen appliance dealers in your area. They'll have better options than the big box stores.

New house has a full depth Zephyr over one of the stoves and I can confirm it's a kick rear end hood. Not very loud and works great on all settings.

Cheesus has the benefit of it being externally exhausted, which means it has a chance at actually working properly, and zephyr does make some nice looking slim hoods.

CFM requirements are "as much as you can get, and preferably full depth so you won't need it on high whenever you are using the front burners." Realistically CFM rating are going to go along with the BTU ratings of the hood. Larger ones for prosumer type ranges are going to be in the 650+ range (mine is 1200) where normal 4 burner stove models will be more like 200-400.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Oh hey, I'm in the process of redesigning my utterly useless kitchen and the new design hinges on putting the stove in an island (there is literally no where else to put it that works). Ceiling is 9'8", and there is no existing stove ventilation other than propping open the door.

My plan is to have a cool hanging range hood with heavy duty pot racks around it. My dad wisely insists on consulting an engineer on the design to ensure it's rated for 400 pounds of hanging cast iron skillets. The range hood would vent into the gigantic immovable stove chimney via duct between the joists. We'll have to go into the ceiling to install ductwork and mount the thing to the joists, but then again we're going to have to gut everything anyway, so ripping open the ceiling and poking a new hole in the chimney is no biggie.

No sure where you'd put the exhaust if you don't have a chimney or exterior wall nearby.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Queen Victorian posted:

Oh hey, I'm in the process of redesigning my utterly useless kitchen and the new design hinges on putting the stove in an island (there is literally no where else to put it that works). Ceiling is 9'8", and there is no existing stove ventilation other than propping open the door.

My plan is to have a cool hanging range hood with heavy duty pot racks around it. My dad wisely insists on consulting an engineer on the design to ensure it's rated for 400 pounds of hanging cast iron skillets. The range hood would vent into the gigantic immovable stove chimney via duct between the joists. We'll have to go into the ceiling to install ductwork and mount the thing to the joists, but then again we're going to have to gut everything anyway, so ripping open the ceiling and poking a new hole in the chimney is no biggie.

No sure where you'd put the exhaust if you don't have a chimney or exterior wall nearby.

That's something I'd also thought about, but I would also consider carefully about the possibility of your pots being coated in a thin layer of oil from hanging up above your range. Even though it should be outside the hood, some oil vapor will still be there.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Is there just a flap that shuts on the outside wall / how well is the cold kept out during winter? Or fan just exhausts inside currently so we hardly ever use it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sadus posted:

Is there just a flap that shuts on the outside wall / how well is the cold kept out during winter? Or fan just exhausts inside currently so we hardly ever use it.

Cheap ones are "just a flap", which ends up being completely sufficient for the lower CFM models. This is another one of those "it entirely depends on the quality of installation". Having a proper outlet (also with a flap) on the house along with the flap closer to the fan works fine.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Literally my solution to this problem is probably going to end up being "move to a house that did this right" or "gut renovate the kitchen" so one way or another it's going to end up being loving expensive. I can't believe we didn't realize it was going to be as big of a deal as it's been.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Literally my solution to this problem is probably going to end up being "move to a house that did this right" or "gut renovate the kitchen" so one way or another it's going to end up being loving expensive. I can't believe we didn't realize it was going to be as big of a deal as it's been.

Is it on the first floor/have basement access? Because you can put in a downdraft range and run the vent down to get outside.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

totalnewbie posted:

That's something I'd also thought about, but I would also consider carefully about the possibility of your pots being coated in a thin layer of oil from hanging up above your range. Even though it should be outside the hood, some oil vapor will still be there.

I've thought about this as well, and decided that it can work if you only hang frequently used cast iron and keep stainless/nonstick/enamel in the cabinet. My parents keep a huge stack of cast iron on the back burner of their stove and it's never gross because they use it all the time. With cast iron, any oil spray that gets on it gets polymerized into the seasoning during cooking or scrubbed off during cleaning with frequent use. Wouldn't work with any other type of cookware.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
We got a Kitchenaid hood to match our range. It does 600 CFM but if we did it again I'd probably get something more powerful.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

TheWevel posted:

I'm worried this is significant $$$$ compared to what I'm seeing on Costco.com for range hoods.

Thufir posted:

We got a Kitchenaid hood to match our range. It does 600 CFM but if we did it again I'd probably get something more powerful.

Yikes, that's already a lot of CFM!

e: at higher than 600 CFM, do you guys start worrying about "makeup air"? https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/makeup-air-for-range-hoods

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 11, 2018

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Cheesus posted:

While I'd rather get something (and pay somewhat more for it) that lasts

Cheesus posted:

I'm worried this is significant $$$$ compared to what I'm seeing on Costco.com for range hoods.

:thunk:

Which one is it?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mandalay posted:

Yikes, that's already a lot of CFM!

e: at higher than 600 CFM, do you guys start worrying about "makeup air"? https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/makeup-air-for-range-hoods

You should be worried about it if you have a gas water heater (or older less efficient furnance)!

600CFM is a lot!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

TheWevel posted:

:thunk:

Which one is it?
Since I wrote the first quote and Mandalay wrote the second, the first one. :smugdog:

Thanks for the Zephyr recommendation and to look locally. The 30" Breeze I Under-Cabinet Model # AK1100B looks like it may work for me and according to a local seller's web site, cheaper than through Amazon.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Cheesus posted:

Since I wrote the first quote and Mandalay wrote the second, the first one. :smugdog:

Oh, oops. phonemogged

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mandalay posted:

Yes. You need to crack a window or spend even more money on a hood with makeup air. And if you do that you'll hate it int he winter because the makeup air is really cold and will go down the front of you (back of you for a commercial hood) so then you spend more on a makeup air heater.

This well runs deep. Just buy a nice 4 burner range hood, vent it outside and be happy. Don't go overboard unless you're willing to go all the way.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Without a hood you'll just have to try to make less smoke. I cook all the time and get almost no smoke at all (except for pan frying smoky things like mole, steaks, sausages... I only make these rarely anyway)

Tips for minimizing smoke when you cook:
- Use oils with lower smoke points (olive oil, butter)
- Use less oil in general (using cast iron cookware can help with this)
- Use lower temperatures (you're probably using too much heat, get your fat sizzling and then try lowering the heat)
- Use lids
- Choose meats that produce less smoke when cooked. Chicken and fish tend to produce less smoke than fattier meats like beef. Of course you can still generate a bunch of smoke with any meat if you're careless
- Don't burn stuff
- Give your stove a thorough cleaning.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

QuarkJets posted:

Tips for minimizing smoke when you cook:
- Use oils with lower smoke points (olive oil, butter)

How does that work? Seems exactly backwards.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

How does that work? Seems exactly backwards.

It is. You want to use higher smoke point oils if you're cooking hot. Like peanut.

Unfortunately high smoke point oils don't have a lot of flavor.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Motronic posted:

It is. You want to use higher smoke point oils if you're cooking hot. Like peanut.

Unfortunately high smoke point oils don't have a lot of flavor.

Yeah, I have mostly settled on ghee as a compromise, plus a smoke detector I can silence from my phone.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

QuarkJets posted:

- Use lower temperatures (you're probably using too much heat, get your fat sizzling and then try lowering the heat)

This guy never makes Chinese food, apparently.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

Or a decent steak. Get that cast iron skillet as hot as you can to sear the poo poo out of a nice sous-vide ribeye.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
This is why I have a grill. Doesn't help if you live somewhere in the frozen north. The only smoke producing thing I do inside is fry.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can grill when there’s snow on the ground. It works fine as long as it’s not an active blizzard (just like with an active rainstorm).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

I don't make Chinese food but I do make shitloads of Thai food, including stir fries and curries. Cast iron wok lets you use less heat, and the result is practically smoke-free

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DJCobol posted:

Or a decent steak. Get that cast iron skillet as hot as you can to sear the poo poo out of a nice sous-vide ribeye.

If you'd bother to read my post you'd see that I basically identified steak as unavoidably producing smoke, but you can choose other meats that don't

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

If you'd bother to read my post you'd see that I basically identified steak as unavoidably producing smoke, but you can choose other meats that don't

It's not unavoidable:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

b0lt posted:

It's not unavoidable:

.....posts a picture of smoke coming off of a steak.......

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Motronic posted:

.....posts a picture of smoke coming off of a steak.......

If you look closely you'll see that's just a little bit of flavor dust, indicating the meat is saturated with flavor.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That is clearly the spirit of delicious entering the meat.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm still working on my bathroom remodel. Someday I'll be done, probably when literal ghosts possess my body and force me to sand this loving drywall mud. :negative:

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Since it’s starting to cool off but still humid my AC is not running much. House humidity is 72-75% now. Should I be getting a whole house dehumidifier?

E: DEhumidifier ughhhh

howdoesishotweb fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 12, 2018

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

howdoesishotweb posted:

Since it’s starting to cool off but still humid my AC is not running much. House humidity is 72-75% now. Should I be getting a whole house humidifier?

If you want the environment you choose to live in resembling a bog, yeah, humidify the poo poo out that house.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

howdoesishotweb posted:

Since it’s starting to cool off but still humid my AC is not running much. House humidity is 72-75% now. Should I be getting a whole house dehumidifier?

Yes, this is exactly what they are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

howdoesishotweb posted:

I wouldn't. 70 degrees and 70% humidity is basically the perfect environment to store your cigars at. You're pretty close right now so I wouldn't mess with it.