Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Raygereio posted:

Advice! Load Order Request?

I'm home now, so here!

I put her LO and Mine in a Doc for comparison. She crashes maybe every two weeks and I crash a fuckload more. I did recently get some town enhancements so I'm wondering if I messed up a bit, but I'm not so sure.

Load Orders!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Stay away from Vortex though, nexus's new mod manager that's still in alpha. It has an awful interface and doesn't do anything nearly as well as NMM or MO.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I use MO and the built in LOOT, and I've only had to move a few mods around to make sure everything was working properly, so ymmv.

Mod plug: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2959/
I was browsing around today trying to find some more craftable headgears and came across this. Basically it adds additional bits to all the leather/hide-based armors in the game to make them look more appropriate for Skyrim (come on, no sleeves on hide armor in a cold region?), and it actually enchances some of those armors (am really digging vanilla Scaled Armor right now, especially with AmidianBorn's textures).

Anyway, week 2 of being back in a modded Skyrim and in general the experience is a lot smoother than modded Oldrim. Maybe it's because I decided on running a much lighter load compared to my Oldrim setup, or because I'm not screwing around with ENBs (SE looks really good with just SMIM + Texture overhauls), but I've had almost zero issues aside from "oh hey I reinstalled right as they released a new SE patch so I had to sit through the miserable base game UI while SKSSE got updated."

Are there any particular SE mods that people would recommend?

Some of the major stuff I have:
-Arthmoor's mods (minus the town mods, running JKs for those)
-EnaiSiaion's mods (no SPERG this time around)
-Morrowloot Ultimate + Alchemy Fixed
-Immersive Armors, Insanity's Weapons Packs (that guy seriously has a boner for katanas)
-Missives (really loving this mod, makes it way more fun to play a "John Adventureman" character)

Everything else is mostly flavor or patches for compatibility between the above. Appreciate any suggestions y'all might have!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I've never had a problem with loot, it fucks up mods occasionally but you can trivially configure specific mods to load after others.

If you're just plugging in 200 mods and not looking at the result it's probably going to cause you grief, that's a lot of mods and no tool is going to do that perfectly. I generally sanity check after I install a new mod and run it and more often than not it's in the right place.

As someone who also used to manually load huge mod lists, it's way better than the alternative. Just spot check it after you run it.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

I switched to her load Order and put the mods I have that she doesn't in "common sense" places- haven't had any crashes since I started playing. i should've trusted her I guess. :3:

She actually enjoys manually sorting and editing poo poo :shepface:. You should see her spreadsheets- they're adorable.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 10, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

I've never had a problem with loot, it fucks up mods occasionally but you can trivially configure specific mods to load after others.

If you're just plugging in 200 mods and not looking at the result it's probably going to cause you grief, that's a lot of mods and no tool is going to do that perfectly. I generally sanity check after I install a new mod and run it and more often than not it's in the right place.

As someone who also used to manually load huge mod lists, it's way better than the alternative. Just spot check it after you run it.

I’ve been experimenting with Skyrim modding for a little bit now and the only mod I’ve really encountered so far that LOOT can’t wrap its head around is RSkyrim Children because of the second ESP in it that needs to go at the very end of your load order otherwise all the kids it alters end up looking like bald potato monsters. LOOT loves to put that one for some dumbfuck reason right in the middle of the load order and I always have to fix it manually.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Freakbox posted:

I'm home now, so here!

I put her LO and Mine in a Doc for comparison. She crashes maybe every two weeks and I crash a fuckload more. I did recently get some town enhancements so I'm wondering if I messed up a bit, but I'm not so sure.

Load Orders!

With a quick skim, I see no Merged/Bashed patch.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I reinstalled this after many years and decided to give Frostfall+Campfire a go, but after starting it seems that all your armor's coverage is set to 0 and doesn't display in the inventory. Reading the comments on Nexus it looks like the latest Skyrim SE patch broke Papyrus and a bunch of other things. I'm guessing Frostfall and anything else using Papyrus Util is unusable until a later fix then?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've never gotten Frostfall coverage working properly in SE. The best I ever got took an SE installation, and a bunch of core files pulled over Legendary edition. Every few patches I try in vain again.

I just bit the bullet and bought the Creation Club ripoff version, and it comes with its own problems.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

With a quick skim, I see no Merged/Bashed patch.

Okay, this is going to sound silly as gently caress...but I have no clue how to use wrye bash. I've been meticulously taking care of mods playing nice and leveled lists playing nice manually all this time. Can I even use it if I have 300+ mods? I think we have about 330ish working together.

She retailored both of our LOs last night and it's all working beautifully, so I hadn't bothered to research. All our lists play nice with each other and I haven't noticed any inconsistentencies.

I think I used WB with oblivion, but I lost about 3 years of memories (ptsd is a bitch), so my oblivion modding days are a tad bit blurry. I do know it's on my old computer, though. :ohdear:

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 10, 2018

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
What does "manually" mean? You're creating manual patches in xEdit? Then that's fine and better than Wrye Bash. Anything else then, you've been doing it wrong.

Manually sorting your load order is fine and still useful to do in say MO at the mod level, but it obviously takes a lot more effort and upkeep. You're also potentially missing out on getting community sort recommendations when X mod is dirty and touching poo poo it shouldn't have unless you're, again, manually sorting everything in xEdit to make sure there are no conflicts. (Admittedly I think that is less useful in LOOT than it was in BOSS, doesn't seem to be quite as active).

@duder having to manually fix Skyrim children after loot all the time, just go into LOOT and clock on the .esp in question and you should be able to override it's load order and force it to load behind arbitrary mods (e.g. force it to load last). It'll save and automatically move that .esp there every time now.

That's what I meant by 'spot checking LOOT'.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I always use LOOT to give me a starting order, then work from there. You do this long enough and you can spot LOOT weirdness.

For merged/bashed patches, that's just for making sure a mod doesn't overwrite some other mod, which will happen if you are using *just* load order. Have three mods (1, 2 and 3), one that modifies A and B, one that modifies A, B, C, and another one that modifies A, B, C, and D. You use a merged patch to make a final .esp at the end that allows you to smash it all together. Depending on how you build it you can use mod 1's A and B, mod 2's B and C, and mod 3's A,C and D, all in one patch. If you tried to do that with load order alone you will get overwrites that you can't avoid.
Plus using xEdit you can peek in to see what a mod is actually doing. Might say it only gives you big jiggly boobs but it might also have a dirty edit and make the jarl of Markarth not have that huge rack for some reason, obviously unacceptable.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
So I saw that SKSE was released for Special Edition and decided to mod a bit again. How is the SE modding scene? Are all the "essentials" ported now that SKSE is? Are there any interesting new mods for it?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
As awful as the 32-bit Skyrim modding scene; the answer depends on what you define as essential; and yes.

I tried going through the OP to give the SSE links for all the listed mods, but quickly lost patience because :effort:

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

What does "manually" mean? You're creating manual patches in xEdit? Then that's fine and better than Wrye Bash.

I've been learning to use xedit, yeah! My wife is way better at it than I am. We're learning together so there are always going to be mistakes.

I'm willing to use wyre bash but I have one issue- it asks to move skyrim? I really don't want to Uninstall and Reinstall the game and every single mod, but my computer has some weird permissions issues and will not let me move certain things in the program file folder....even as administrator and using a "take ownership" command. I'm still figuring that out; I know more about Linux than Windows 10. I'm wondering if there's a bigger issue and dreading that it's a bigger issue, but that's beyond the subject.

:gonk: is it really that necessary to move it? Will it break Everything?

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 12, 2018

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Yes, you should move it out of Program Files so Windows UAC doesn't muck anything up, and no, it should be pretty simple to do if you move everything through Steam. Just use Steam to set up a new folder in the root directory of whatever hard drive Skyrim is on entitled SteamLibrary or what have you, right click on Skyrim in Steam and go into its preferences, and move the install over to the folder in the root directory.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

NuclearPotato posted:

Yes, you should move it out of Program Files so Windows UAC doesn't muck anything up, and no, it should be pretty simple to do if you move everything through Steam. Just use Steam to set up a new folder in the root directory of whatever hard drive Skyrim is on entitled SteamLibrary or what have you, right click on Skyrim in Steam and go into its preferences, and move the install over to the folder in the root directory.

I didn't realize I could use steam to move it! Thanks for being patient with me. :kiddo: I'll make some tea and give that a shot.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Okay, so I made a second library folder; final dumb question. Will moving the installation keep my mods intact? If so then cool, I'll drag it over and try wrye bash again.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

As long as NMM knows the new location of your install, you should be fine. You might have to manually move over anything you placed in the Skyrim folder like SKSE plugins, but otherwise you should be good to go.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Alright, I have created a bashed patch and moved everything- do I reactivate the mods it deactivated prior to making the patch? :shobon:

EDIT: I just Googled it. I think it's working :3: I moved everything, used a new program, and made a patch; pretty good for a depression day, I think.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 12, 2018

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

As awful as the 32-bit Skyrim modding scene; the answer depends on what you define as essential; and yes.

I tried going through the OP to give the SSE links for all the listed mods, but quickly lost patience because :effort:

Well, when I say essentials I mean stuff like the unofficial patch, SPERG, maybe some balance mods, creature mods, magic mods etc. The kinda stuff that you want at least one of. I'm guessing most of those might not have required SKSE though so they're probably in.

What I really want is a mod that skips the first like, 5-10 hours of the main quest because I think jogging up to Hrothgar is where I end at least half of my fledgling playthroughs.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Foxhound posted:

What I really want is a mod that skips the first like, 5-10 hours of the main quest because I think jogging up to Hrothgar is where I end at least half of my fledgling playthroughs.

There are a couple of nice "bypass this starter dungeon" mods that add shortcut doors to Bleak Falls Barrow, High Hrothgar, and Ustengrav. Combine this with something like Skyrim Unbound (which I think has an SE version now) and you've basically eliminated most of that slog.

I'm probably at the point where my next big modding run is going to be in SE. (I've had my fill of "LA LA LA EVERYTHING IS WORKING FINE OH poo poo YOUR LAST TEN SAVES ARE ACTUALLY CORRUPT", thanks). The only thing really giving me pause is that, as I understand it, stuff like Complete Crafting Overhaul/Cooking and Alchemy Overhaul and similar have not (yet) been ported. (Though I've heard that most of it can be converted manually.)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

docbeard posted:

There are a couple of nice "bypass this starter dungeon" mods that add shortcut doors to Bleak Falls Barrow, High Hrothgar, and Ustengrav. Combine this with something like Skyrim Unbound (which I think has an SE version now) and you've basically eliminated most of that slog.

I'm probably at the point where my next big modding run is going to be in SE. (I've had my fill of "LA LA LA EVERYTHING IS WORKING FINE OH poo poo YOUR LAST TEN SAVES ARE ACTUALLY CORRUPT", thanks). The only thing really giving me pause is that, as I understand it, stuff like Complete Crafting Overhaul/Cooking and Alchemy Overhaul and similar have not (yet) been ported. (Though I've heard that most of it can be converted manually.)

Morrowloot Ultimate and Skyrim Alchemy Fixed are basically SSE's versions of CCO and CAO

Foxhound posted:

Well, when I say essentials I mean stuff like the unofficial patch, SPERG, maybe some balance mods, creature mods, magic mods etc. The kinda stuff that you want at least one of. I'm guessing most of those might not have required SKSE though so they're probably in.

The unofficial patch is ported over, SPERG has been ported, Enai has ported his gameplay mods over, and TK has done the same with Ultimate Combat.

As far as the MQ stuff goes I've done enough of it over my time in Oldrim that I just tend to avoid it completely while using LAL to live your average Skyrim life.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 12, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My issue with the greybeards is less the bazillion steps you have to walk up and more the bullshit you have to deal with once you get up there, is there a mod that lets you skip that?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

like what just not do the main quest but it still is completed?

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Scyantific posted:

Morrowloot Ultimate and Skyrim Alchemy Fixed are basically SSE's versions of CCO and CAO

I would argue that Weapons Armor Clothing and Clutter Fixes + Ars Metallica make a better SSE CCOR.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I'd be a lot happier switching to SkyrimSE if this masterwork ever gets ported over

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53350/

(I might have to just do it myself I GUESS)

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Simsmagic posted:

Stay away from Vortex though, nexus's new mod manager that's still in alpha. It has an awful interface and doesn't do anything nearly as well as NMM or MO.

Care to expand on this? I'm using Vortex for dozens of mods now and haven't run into any issues so far.

I started using it recently because I only just got back into playing/modding Skyrim and it's what Gopher is advocating.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 19, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonkish posted:

Dawnguard is the epitome of "Bethesda writing". It's got everything: literally throwing power in your face without anyone so much as batting an eye, a veneer of grandiosity that is so quickly chipped away that you end up debating if it was there in the first place, an impossible Mary Sue, and illogical game-y bullshit. It's all there.

The whole Falmer reveal was pretty cool, though.

I'm the only person who likes Dawnguard. :smithcloud:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I like Dawnguard but it has a few flaws. Granted so does the rest of Skyrim. Faction questlines could be longer across the board, generally.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sky Shadowing posted:

I like Dawnguard but it has a few flaws. Granted so does the rest of Skyrim. Faction questlines could be longer across the board, generally.

I wish the writing and quests were better for the Civil War. Both sides are just terrible.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Randaconda posted:

I'm the only person who likes Dawnguard. :smithcloud:

My awkward Skyrim confession is that I like Serana as a companion.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raygereio posted:

With the Queen of the Damned mod, which makes her not useless in combat, she owns.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't like companions.

I mean, sure, I'll let them tag along when their presence is quest-mandated, so they actually have some meaningful scripted interactions to do, but afterwards? Shoo, get back in your box, this is a single player's game out there.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't like companions.

I mean, sure, I'll let them tag along when their presence is quest-mandated, so they actually have some meaningful scripted interactions to do, but afterwards? Shoo, get back in your box, this is a single player's game out there.

Me either. I tried a few of the popular companion mods, Inigo and Sofia, Inigo being by far the better/least annoying of the two, but they didn't really mesh with my play style.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So I tried my hand at porting over an oldrim mod and managed to not gently caress it up, so if anyone liked the Sabre Cat Gear from old Skyrim, here ya go, an updated SE version. I went through and did a bit of renaming on the armors so that it wouldn't just be "Sabre Cat Armor" and "Sabre Cat Armor L."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Raygereio posted:

You’re not alone. I did Dawnguard after Helgen Reborn, so at the end of the DLC I convinced her to cure herself and then brought her with me and used My Home Is Your Home to plant her in Helgen with all my cool Helgen homies, so now she hangs out there and helps them rebuild the town. Because gently caress those dreary Dawngaurd fucks, Serana’s too good for them.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nine-gear crow posted:

You’re not alone. I did Dawnguard after Helgen Reborn, so at the end of the DLC I convinced her to cure herself and then brought her with me and used My Home Is Your Home to plant her in Helgen with all my cool Helgen homies, so now she hangs out there and helps them rebuild the town. Because gently caress those dreary Dawngaurd fucks, Serana’s too good for them.

I think I might add the mod where you can marry Serana after the main DG questline is over for my next playthrough. I married the sociopath in Markoth last time, which I'm sure will never come back to bite the DB on the rear end.

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 21, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Raygereio posted:

serena is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't like companions.

I have killed a fair number of companions with Destruction magic, I'm not ashamed to say. Jenassa was carrying a lot of Dwarven metal junk, even.