Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grundulum posted:

So what you are saying is that if any single one of a chain of decisions had been made differently, a disaster would have been averted?

They never bothered finding the root cause, :capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
and for some real workplace hazards

Russia: The ISS Air Leak May Have Been Sabotage posted:

The hole discovered by ISS astronauts last week appears machined, raising concerns it was deliberate.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/satellites/a22984603/air-leak-iss-drilled-russia/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Grundulum posted:

So what you are saying is that if any single one of a chain of decisions had been made differently, a disaster would have been averted?

No, I am saying exactly the opposite of that - which is unusual for these videos.

The pressure relief valves were set to 150psi, by design.
A 2mm hole corruded through a pipe that carries a corrosive substance.
The system over-pressurised to 30psi and a connection failed.
The failure mode was to blast incapaciting levels of ammonia and brine into the faces of the workers.

It's a bad system, rather then the usual 'screw down this, ignore that, hit that with a hammer' failures.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wow, someone obviously took several goes at that.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
:ninja: 2 mm hole you say :ninja:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Wow, someone obviously took several goes at that.

pasha does best work after russian working lunch also we are out of vodka comrade

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DrPossum posted:

pasha does best work after russian working lunch also we are out of vodka comrade

oh you're funny, thinking they're out of vodka.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

solarNativity posted:

Who looks behind them when they pull onto the shoulder? This is basically that, there should be no way anyone is there and I wouldn't have looked moving into that fresh new lane, car or bike. They're cycling on the motorway, sure, but they're probably only where they are because you can't ride the shoulder through an exit. As vehicles, they did nothing wrong but fail to account for absolutely massive dipshits.

From a while back, but when driving my car I pretty much always look over my shoulder whenever moving into a space that nobody else should be in - like the shoulder, an exit lane that only just started, a lane that I'm already halfway through changing into - because I know one day someone is going to be there - a car overtaking on the hard shoulder, a cyclist who doesn't give a drat about indicators - and I'm hoping to have another boring story about an rear end in a top hat on the road instead of an "accident". And also because the "lane I'm already halfway through changing into" has become occupied very suddenly once or twice before. Maybe I need to change lanes really quickly instead, like an obstacle suddenly appeared in my lane and I'm a human being or a self-driving car other than a Tesla.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Buttcoin purse posted:

because I know one day someone is going to be there
Every time I deliberately check that there's no car driving up the sidewalk, nothing coming the wrong way up the one-way street, nobody hammering it straight at the red light or crosswalk I'm about to cross, I say to myself "it's not the GOOD drivers you need to watch out for."

I can't say that this has ever really saved me from a serious problem, but it's a habit I've deliberately developed and I'm going to keep doing it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

BattleMaster posted:

Imagine dying because you think your boss will be mad if some ice melts, drat.

You underestimate the importance of arena ice to the shithole mining/mill towns of northern Canada, where the only three things to be excited about other than hockey are sweet, gently caress and all. These guys were responsible for the lifeblood of that community, ahead of only the Zamboni driver.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hobnob posted:

As a young Brit, Toledo seemed like an interesting and magical city because that's where Edward Eager's Half Magic was set. I've never visited it, but I still have the sneaking suspicion it's interesting and magical.

It isn't.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have to re-do the signs for a stadium because they put the emergency assembly area right next to where all the arena's ammonia is...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

SelenicMartian posted:

Only their wings are inverted. The rest of the car wants to fly.

This is not true if it’s a ground effect car.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Buttcoin purse posted:

From a while back, but when driving my car I pretty much always look over my shoulder whenever moving into a space that nobody else should be in - like the shoulder, an exit lane that only just started, a lane that I'm already halfway through changing into - because I know one day someone is going to be there - a car overtaking on the hard shoulder, a cyclist who doesn't give a drat about indicators - and I'm hoping to have another boring story about an rear end in a top hat on the road instead of an "accident". And also because the "lane I'm already halfway through changing into" has become occupied very suddenly once or twice before. Maybe I need to change lanes really quickly instead, like an obstacle suddenly appeared in my lane and I'm a human being or a self-driving car other than a Tesla.

Thank you!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dillbag posted:

You underestimate the importance of arena ice to the shithole mining/mill towns of northern Canada, where the only three things to be excited about other than hockey are sweet, gently caress and all. These guys were responsible for the lifeblood of that community, ahead of only the Zamboni driver.

I feel like a bar tender is more important.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Last week someone in the Netherlands drove an excavator onto a plank held up by a crane in order to demolish a building. The operator isn't wearing a helmet either.

This is a BIG DEAL. It's like on top of the national news sites right now.

Those responsible "have been sent home" by the demolition company. They say the guys were just showing off and it lasted no more than 10 minutes. But they admit it's completely unacceptable. The news calls it a "crisis" for the demolition company. The directors of the demolition company are also incredibly angry at the employee who filmed and uploaded the event because something like this might mean nobody ever wants to contract this company for anything again.

On top of that, "several" occupational safety and other instances are starting investigations against the company and a party in the local city council wants to know what's happened as well.

The demolition operation has been put entirely on hold for now, and one source says that if the official national OSHA organization becomes involved, the company can expect a fine between 25000 and 50000 eur.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
And in some countries, that's SOP

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Tagging in slightly late.

Regarding phase matching, and the aurora vulnerability specifically, the phase mismatch results in potentially full peak-to-peak voltage across the breaker as you're closing it, and arc quenching isn't designed to work in that direction, so you're maybe going to explode your switchgear.

The vast difference in voltage leads briefly to a vast current, which generates a vast torque in your generator, rather like dumping the clutch at redline.

We had to dj that poo poo on the boat to shift the plant around, and the diesel was a stone cold bastard to work with.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Check that red car for a spear hook.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
The telephone in shipping here rings with the fire alarm tone.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Last week someone in the Netherlands drove an excavator onto a plank held up by a crane in order to demolish a building. The operator isn't wearing a helmet either.

This is a BIG DEAL. It's like on top of the national news sites right now.

None of those guys are wearing hard hats. That mini ain't got no roll over protection.

But, I guess at least the platform has a tag line.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How I would love to have one of those little excavators. I would gently caress my back yard up.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

ExecuDork posted:

Every time I deliberately check that there's no car driving up the sidewalk, nothing coming the wrong way up the one-way street, nobody hammering it straight at the red light or crosswalk I'm about to cross, I say to myself "it's not the GOOD drivers you need to watch out for."

I can't say that this has ever really saved me from a serious problem, but it's a habit I've deliberately developed and I'm going to keep doing it.

I can't count the number of times drivers here have turned left into my sidewalk and I've had to quickly run out of the way or get run over. This is in Seattle, too. I just assume anyone I see in a car is drunk, texting, sleep-deprived and an idiot and plan accordingly.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Dude in orange, walking back like it's just another day, looks down at that driver, 'eh'
Woman in orange - 'HOOLLEEEEE SHIIIIIIIIIIIT ARE YOU OKAYYY'

If I was family of that driver I'd want to legit kill that skinny nonchalant motherfucker

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

How I would love to have one of those little excavators. I would gently caress my back yard up.

I saw what you did there :catstare:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

thoughts and prayers posted:

If I was family of that driver I'd want to legit kill that skinny nonchalant motherfucker
hmmm yes I too wish death upon people for the crime of *checks notes* cautiously approaching a car crash

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/zQJeoEY.mp4

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Master gave Dobby a strap! Dobby is freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

thoughts and prayers posted:

Dude in orange, walking back like it's just another day, looks down at that driver, 'eh'
Woman in orange - 'HOOLLEEEEE SHIIIIIIIIIIIT ARE YOU OKAYYY'

He doesn't even seem to be on the medical crew, what do you want him to do? The best thing at that point is to leave the guy where he's lying until the medical people can get there.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

Basically, gently caress ammonia.

I was once cleaning out some unmarked bottles in a laboratory I was working at and made the mistake of sniffing one of them.
0.880 Ammonia, really clears out the sinuses.

Content...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Say Nothing posted:

I was once cleaning out some unmarked bottles in a laboratory I was working at and made the mistake of sniffing one of them.
0.880 Ammonia, really clears out the sinuses.

Content...

This ends way too soon. I was expecting him to get smacked on something, fly off, or pass out from blood rushing to his feet

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Master gave Dobby a strap! Dobby is freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'd be interested to see what jackassed idea led to that truck winding up needing turned over.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I just clicked on this link from the interior design thread, and you all might want to take a look at this...

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

That fucker is really picking up speed, at the end, there.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

the little arm flap of resignation

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

WrenP-Complete posted:

I just clicked on this link from the interior design thread, and you all might want to take a look at this...

kreosan is a perennial thread favorite.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Some say that car is still rolling to this day

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I think this is just a reversed video of a car speeding across pastures and then colliding with a tractor. You can't fool me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nenonen posted:

I think this is just a reversed video of a car speeding across pastures and then colliding with a tractor. You can't fool me!

bell jar posted:

I think it's fun in reverse, too

https://imgur.com/e0f0whQ.mp4