Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Slavvy posted:

Most don't. Bmw and triumph (and Aprilia I think) are the only big brands that have OBD2. Like yeah they have plugs and some form of onboard diagnostics but it needs to be mandatory standardised like on cars.

Yeah this was really easy, there was an adapter and I think it was ODB2. There is even some moto guzzi specific software to read/write maps, tweak some values (CO Trim, reset autolearning, etc) and read values from the ECU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Guzzis are piaggio aren't they? Makes sense. IIRC the factory scan tool software is the same for triumph and Piaggio.

Really this poo poo isn't complicated at all and it's purely down to bike manufacturers being agonizingly resistant to change and intent on doing things their own special way. Cars were exactly the same until governments leaned on them to standardise that poo poo for the sanity of everyone involved.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Guzzis are piaggio aren't they? Makes sense. IIRC the factory scan tool software is the same for triumph and Piaggio.

Really this poo poo isn't complicated at all and it's purely down to bike manufacturers being agonizingly resistant to change and intent on doing things their own special way. Cars were exactly the same until governments leaned on them to standardise that poo poo for the sanity of everyone involved.

Is this a recent thing? Because Piaggio used to use AXONE which was kinda notorious for being completely incompatible with everything.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I dunno I was routinely using axone/texa on cars like six years ago and it seemed to work ok on a street triple and k1300s. It was pretty clearly slanted toward European vehicles but its a product for that market so I can't fault it on that.

There is nothing comparable for Japanese bikes, they all have their own protocol and connectors. Harley basically have OBD2 but with their own bullshit plug. Kind of bizarre that the European bikes are the ones with the sensible poo poo for once.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

The problem is that big expensive motorcycles are essentially just toys for wealthy first-worlders, while the most of the hundreds of millions of little bikes around the world still don't have any diagnostics beyond an oil pressure light. No motivation at the high end, no reason at the low end.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

On the older Daytona 675s, you can even redo your fuel mappings with a cheap cable and TuneECU, but starting ~2013 you can only read and reset codes with a OBD2 reader.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

The problem is that big expensive motorcycles are essentially just toys for wealthy first-worlders, while the most of the hundreds of millions of little bikes around the world still don't have any diagnostics beyond an oil pressure light. No motivation at the high end, no reason at the low end.

That isn't true anymore.

My cbr125 had efi. Every 125/150 category bike released recently has efi, even new 50cc scooters have efi (at least the Japanese ones anyway) so the carb is dead and gone. A sensor doesn't care if it's on a scooter or a Hayabusa as I'm sure you're aware.

Bloody super cubs have efi now. What happens when one out of every six in the fleet I look after develops stalling issues, because (so typical) they're a little too lean down low? No obd connector to see what's going on, no idle/mixture screw to just make the problem go away like on older systems, no means of flashing the ecu. Honda can't be hosed fixing it so what now?

Are those millions of people riding them around developing countries really all going to queue up at Honda Mumbai/jakarta/whatever for a tech to plug it in, bite his lip for a while and do nothing? Like, this is a problem that's effortlessly solved on a carb bike and the whole point of efi is that it's this sci-fi stuff that lets you make changes without any physical work or parts being involved, it makes zero sense to then lock it down in an impenetrable digital fortress and make it worse than a carb :argh:

MomJeans420 posted:

On the older Daytona 675s, you can even redo your fuel mappings with a cheap cable and TuneECU, but starting ~2013 you can only read and reset codes with a OBD2 reader.

And this sucks. But crucially the bike still has an OBD2 connector and protocol so enterprising people can figure out ways to break into the ecu and make it possible to change stuff. Compare and contrast to the average Japanese sportbike, where ecu changes involve fitting a whole 'nother separate ecu and piggyback wiring harness, because it's easier to make a clumsy workaround to hijack signals than it is to work with the pointlessly difficult, all totally different factory systems.

The whole thing is backwards, computers were meant to make this stuff easier and now I just feel really old.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's cool that little bikes now are getting EFI, but it's still my perception from traveling around these places that the great majority of motorcycles on the planet are air-cooled carbed sub-125s. The roadside mechanic in Vijayawada whose most important tools are a hammer and baling wire doesn't have a whole lot of use for any manufacturer's code reader.

Maybe that will change over the next decade or so. How long does a motorcycle usually stay in service in a place like Indonesia or Nepal or Colombia?

I agree with you that it's really stupid and hostile for a manufacturer to lock down their systems in a way that prevents maintenance except by official dealers, though

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
KTM is OBD2 too since a couple of years, but flashing the ECU is locked down. I can't blame them though, it keeps people from loving up the mapping and it allows them to sell a factory tune.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MomJeans420 posted:

Yup I did this with my 09 Striple to remap for my new exhaust.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

That isn't true anymore.

My cbr125 had efi. Every 125/150 category bike released recently has efi, even new 50cc scooters have efi (at least the Japanese ones anyway) so the carb is dead and gone. A sensor doesn't care if it's on a scooter or a Hayabusa as I'm sure you're aware.

Bloody super cubs have efi now. What happens when one out of every six in the fleet I look after develops stalling issues, because (so typical) they're a little too lean down low? No obd connector to see what's going on, no idle/mixture screw to just make the problem go away like on older systems, no means of flashing the ecu. Honda can't be hosed fixing it so what now?

Are those millions of people riding them around developing countries really all going to queue up at Honda Mumbai/jakarta/whatever for a tech to plug it in, bite his lip for a while and do nothing? Like, this is a problem that's effortlessly solved on a carb bike and the whole point of efi is that it's this sci-fi stuff that lets you make changes without any physical work or parts being involved, it makes zero sense to then lock it down in an impenetrable digital fortress and make it worse than a carb :argh:

Open source efi system you say? Goon project you say?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Cleaned up the spare wheels that came with the Firebolt. The rear is down to bare metal because the finish was completely corroded, so now I have to pick a color to paint them, and decide whether to keep them or sell them on. I’ll probably end up painting the entire set of extra plastics that came along with it and putting them on eBay also.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe that will change over the next decade or so. How long does a motorcycle usually stay in service in a place like Indonesia or Nepal or Colombia?

Well, I'm currently working on a 64 vespa 3-port that was last rebuilt 12 years ago in indonesia, having spent the whole time in active service based on the maintenance booklet.

The problem is you can't carry five different scan tools each with their own connector and protocol. If they were at least OBD2 you could have one tool that gives you limited functionality across brands. I genuinely don't understand how we can have euro IV compliant machines that don't have OBD2. How does it work in america? My understanding is that you guys have emissions testing in some states, where the guy has to plug in a scan tool to ensure everything is running clean and that's what the state mandated OBD2 connector and protocol are for. What happens in that scenario if you roll up on like a 2017 yamaha and it's got no OBD2? Do bikes just get a pass on the law because not enough legislators give a poo poo?

Renaissance Robot posted:

Open source efi system you say? Goon project you say?

I've already got megasquirt on my bandit, completed with anti cop camouflage (look closely where the 'headlight' meets the fork):

I've since worked out I can set my laptop to keep running normally with the lid shut so I stick it in a backpack now :v:

But TBH while the novelty is nice, for the job that bike does a rack of delicious flat slides would work better and make life a great deal easier as well as looking/sounding badass.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Slavvy posted:

The problem is you can't carry five different scan tools each with their own connector and protocol. If they were at least OBD2 you could have one tool that gives you limited functionality across brands. I genuinely don't understand how we can have euro IV compliant machines that don't have OBD2. How does it work in america? My understanding is that you guys have emissions testing in some states, where the guy has to plug in a scan tool to ensure everything is running clean and that's what the state mandated OBD2 connector and protocol are for. What happens in that scenario if you roll up on like a 2017 yamaha and it's got no OBD2? Do bikes just get a pass on the law because not enough legislators give a poo poo?

Its up to the states. I know they don't test motorcycles in Louisiana or Washington, honestly I'd be surprised if they check anywhere considering that bikes are mostly considered "toys".

If they did though, they could just stick a sensor down one of the pipes; thats how they tested a 90s pickup I had registered here (Seattle). It didn't have OBD but if I recall correctly they did have some way to determine its RPM, so they had me rev the engine a couple of times, and measured its emissions at idle.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Even California doesn't emissions test bikes, and we've got to be the strictest in the nation when it comes to car emissions. Yet for some reason we don't do annual safety inspections like other states do.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I moved my DRZ to a friend's barn because I'm being told to evacuate ahead of Hurricane Florence. It's a few miles inland and that should be better protection than just a cover.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

High Protein posted:

KTM is OBD2 too since a couple of years, but flashing the ECU is locked down. I can't blame them though, it keeps people from loving up the mapping and it allows them to sell a factory tune.

They used to flash to the less-lean euro tune for 4t dirt bikes but now they’re all locked down and your choices are jd tuner or vortex ecu and ktm corporate is super strict about dealers doing anything to the 17+ bikes.

Deeters posted:

I moved my DRZ to a friend's barn because I'm being told to evacuate ahead of Hurricane Florence. It's a few miles inland and that should be better protection than just a cover.

It’s a drz so it’ll be fine. Barn might be destroyed but your bike will live.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it would take at most a fluid change to resurrect a DRZ from a flood.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Not today, but I installed handlebar end weights, and had a new seat upholstered by a local guy.

Vibration is down to almost nothing and the highway is uncomfortable after 2-3 hours rather than 1. Relatively small change for a huge quality of life improvement.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I forgot to look up the exact date til this morning, but I did my M2 course 10 years ago this past Friday :toot:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stay safe DRZ friend :ohdear:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I put the SW Motech sidecase racks on the Rex, but because the PO jettisoned the little standoffs for the turn signals (which admittedly does look better), I can't relocate the turn signals like the kit wants me to without it looking like boiled rear end. So I've got a couple new standoffs on order. If I coulda gone to a bike wrecker and pulled them off a Ninja 500, I would have done that instead, but apparently we don't have one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

At long, long last, I've stuck my jealously guarded $20 garage sale ohlins shock onto my bandit. Pics to come when I have both time and light.

Things I've had to do to reach this point:

- drill out the bullshit ohlins rubber bung valve on the gas reservoir cap, tap a tapering thread :suicide: for a normal Schrader valve, both for convenience and sanity

- shorten the shock gas reservoir on a lathe so it clears the frame, then cut in a new internal groove for the reservoir cap snapring

- lose the remote preload adjuster for logistical reasons, it'll eventually return rehabilitated

- with much sobbing, lose the center stand

- die-grind away small parts of the frame center stand bracket area so the linkage clears the bike, because the shock is longer than the old one

After a quick furtive ride around the block, handling has changed drastically. The bike now has forks ~15mm shorter than factory, shock 20mm longer. It doesn't feel particularly over-agile which makes me optimistic I haven't wrecked the geometry too much.

The riding position with the factory shock and the same front end was like an rear end cushioned, lazy man's Ducati monster.

Now it feels like a giant motard, or older superbike with a bar. But with maximum rectal comfort!

The rear feels like it should have miles of travel being so jacked, but it has no more than the factory shock. It feels a lot taller duckwalking and at low speeds which will take some getting used to. When moving though, the whole rear end strikes the right balance of plushness and control; earlier today I got to ride an ST4 before and after it got an ohlins and the sensation was the same.

By comparison the factory shock felt like it crashed over bumps and had a really loose feeling, totally out of synch with the fantastic forks. It was also difficult to get the right amount of preload with the underrated factory spring.

All that's left is taking it for a longer ride and seeing if it isn't insanely unstable in the fast turns :v:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Slavvy posted:

When moving though, the whole rear end strikes the right balance of plushness and control;

Oh yeah, tell it like it is.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I want to find a garage sale that has Ohlins suspension

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Slavvy posted:

Most don't. Bmw and triumph (and Aprilia I think) are the only big brands that have OBD2. Like yeah they have plugs and some form of onboard diagnostics but it needs to be mandatory standardised like on cars.

Honda, Ducati, Kawi (I think) as well. Honestly don’t know about Yamaha. Are you talking about the physical interface or the signaling?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I want to find a garage sale that has Ohlins suspension

Was a big crate of stuff that came off a zx6 track bike from last century. I paid $100 for the shock, muffler, headers, brake discs+pads+calipers, modified cdi, a shitload of jets and other useful carb bric-a-brac, plus two sets of fiberglass fairings. Most of that is now sold for far more than I paid so really the shock owes me nothing, but I was damned if I was gonna let go of an ohlins I got effectively for free.

Once I found out it had the correct spring rate for my bike, that was all the excuse I needed.

Tremblay posted:

Honda, Ducati, Kawi (I think) as well. Honestly don’t know about Yamaha. Are you talking about the physical interface or the signaling?

I'm talking about the physical interface, although the mostly older bikes I deal with I don't think you can get into with a generic tool + cable adapter, has this changed recently? Every Suzuki I've seen has a 4 pin connector, Kawasaki have 2 or 3 IIRC. Have the modern ones got an actual data stream on some sort of CAN system?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Slavvy posted:

I'm talking about the physical interface, although the mostly older bikes I deal with I don't think you can get into with a generic tool + cable adapter, has this changed recently? Every Suzuki I've seen has a 4 pin connector, Kawasaki have 2 or 3 IIRC. Have the modern ones got an actual data stream on some sort of CAN system?

BMW, KTM, Ducati, Honda (at least the latest Africa Twin), Aprilla I know for sure are CANBUS. BMW switch to a standard OBDII port in the past few years. The others use different physical ports for diagnostic hookups. CANBUS isn’t a requirement for ODBII though. And a standard ODBII port isn’t a requirement for the signaling.

Tremblay fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 14, 2018

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Removed the rear wheel from the Bandit in anticipation of a new tire:

Going to clean off an embarrassing amount of brake dust/chain schmoo, remove the ugly red rim tape, and give it a coat of wax.
Pulled the front wheel to do the same wrt brake dust/rim tape/wax, and also to clean the rotor buttons. Good thing I did, because I found an expired wheel bearing. I also found this:

The front tire is date-coded 12/12, so there you go.
With the front wheel off, I took the opportunity to remove this nasty old parking sticker:

Until next time, Hoverbike bids you adieu:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

bought a black wings shorty for my SAS. also bought a second case for my SAR + a heated ergo seat, grips, and frame plugs :cool:

also bought a dozen nevor oysters that were bomb after i stopped at de garde and jacobsen:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Went out Friday to meet up with a friend from work to help pick up his new bike, a V Star 250. Looks like it's in pretty good shape, and a quick test ride just reinforced my hate of forward controls :v:

So we picked it up from the PO and rode down to his place, and he did pretty well for a brand new rider. No stalls or any drama from the traffic either.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
New tires/steering bearings day. 11,204mi on the last set of E07s

The price of making pigs fly:

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I ordered tires for my GN125. Discovered the ziptie trick on youtube (ziptie the tire carcass shut so that the tire lips will fit inside the rim center groove more easily, then fit it), and I already have tire irons. Maybe I can combine them, and change my own tubed tires and finally not pinch the loving tube.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Try inflating the tube like 5psi so it holds a donut shape, put it inside the tyre then put the whole thing on the rim. I've never once pinched a tube doing it this way and it's a lot easier on your hands.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Do you mean, with the zipties? That's what I plan to do: Put the tube in the tire, inflating it slightly, then seal it all up with zipties like a stuffed crust pizza (with the valve stem sticking out so I can put it through its little hole in the rim).

After that, just wrestle it onto the rim like usual. :zaurg:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Rode the piss out of it for likely the last time this year.

A dude at the track was kind enough to let me borrow his spare tire warmers for the day. Turns out hot slicks are much grippier than cold slicks! And good drat is it a day and night difference between street tires and slicks with the 16.5" front. Not just cornering and turn in were faster, I think I was getting harder on the brakes and managing to back it in at the end of some straights.

Still too slow to keep up with grizzled melkaba on his flat track rear tire and stock brakes :v:

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 16, 2018

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

Still too slow to keep up with grizzled melkaba on his flat track rear tire and stock brakes :v:

lol guess again

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

Do you mean, with the zipties? That's what I plan to do: Put the tube in the tire, inflating it slightly, then seal it all up with zipties like a stuffed crust pizza (with the valve stem sticking out so I can put it through its little hole in the rim).

After that, just wrestle it onto the rim like usual. :zaurg:

Never heard of the ziptie thing before now. I just stuff the tube in they're partially inflated and lube the gently caress out of everything. As long as it's inflated and wants to hold its shape, there won't be any folds or flappy bits to get pinched. With some of the softer tyres I've found you can often spoon both beads on simultaneously. Start at the valve end, put the valve in the hole and wind the nut onto the end so it can't pull back out. Usually after that it's like three pulls on the levers and you're 90% there. GN tyres are pretty easy cause they have a tall profile and usually a pretty soft carcass.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Big car:

Little turbo(s):

Put some motorcycles on cars:

Put some cars in garages:

Have some trials:

Put some more motorcycles on cars:

Take some stuff out of cars:

Drive some cars:

Ride with friends:

Something old?

Something new?

Stay stoked:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GriszledMelkaba posted:

lol guess again

Oops, meant gullous. He was making good time as long as that rear tire stayed under him.