Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

chiasaur11 posted:

Extended monologues about meme theory?

And the military industrial complex and how it relates to some rare species of frog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bruceski posted:

And the military industrial complex and how it relates to some rare species of frog.

Some kind of frog, huh?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

chiasaur11 posted:

Some kind of frog, huh?

Will eating it recharge my COST?

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Dareon posted:

Will eating it recharge my COST?

Shhh, spoilers :ssh:

I'm only joking

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Nineteen: Big Jeff

We're back in the Intermission now, for a brief break before we return to BRC-026.

At the end of the last mission, Snake got the Card LV. 2 from Teliko. It works the same way as Card LV. 1, except it opens level 2 doors. It's not actually any use in this mission, but ain't that always the way?

Anyway, like I said, right back to BRC-026, where we pick up this time in the child death warehouse.

Apparently Roger wasn't really on the line in the traditional sense when Snake told him they were at the warehouse.

Roger: ...Hmmm.
Snake: What's wrong?
Roger: It's nothing, Snake. Give me an update on Flemming. The Codec was acting up, so I wasn't able to listen in.
Snake: I see...

Roger: What?
Snake: Gary was there. His real name is William Flemming.
Roger: G-Gary is Flemming?!

They really didn't know anything about the Lobito lab at all before they sent Snake in, huh?

Roger: So Gary also had Pythagoras?
Snake: Yeah. Since he's actually Flemming. And... Pythagoras is apparently data for Metal Gear, just as we thought.

Roger: Is there some sort of cryptanalysis procedure?

Snake's not really the person to ask about that.

Snake: I wasn't able to ask about that.
Roger: That's not encouraging. We only have two hours left, according to the hijacker's demands. That's not enough time for us to break the code here. Looks like we still need Flemming. Oh, and Snake...

Why does Roger think Flemming handed the disc over readily?

Snake: Roger...
Roger: I just received a report from headquarters. Apparently the hijacker is harboring some personal grudge against you. And there's a possibility that you're somehow involved with this incident.

Snake was havin' a great time yesterday, hanging out in Alaska. And now he's up to his rear end in conspiracy poo poo.

Roger: Do you know anything about this?
Snake: Nothing.
Roger: I trust you, Snake. It's just that...

Roger: And?
Teliko: Snake checks out fine. I'm sure of it.

Despite being an actual cop, Teliko decides not to narc on Snake.

Snake: Teliko...
Teliko: ...
Roger: Just carry on with the mission, Snake. We've got to get that code from Flemming. I know you're not about to throw in the towel. And I still have something to check on, too.
Snake: What is it?
Roger: ...Don't worry about it.

Roger: I believe you, Snake. Through thick and thin, you have my trust. Is that clear?
Snake: Can I ask you something, Roger? Is it possible to implant one's memory into another person? As if that person had actually experienced everything stored in the other memory?

What a strange question to ask Roger. Not because it's unrelated to the situation at hand, but because Roger has no reason to know the answer.

See, he's just finding out that other people have other memories.

Roger: I heard something similar to that in the past. Can't remember the details, though.

Oh, of course.

Snake: No, I'm fine. Just forget it.
Roger: ...

Snake and Roger, each deciding that the other is sufficiently above board, decide at this point to end the call.

Snake: Thanks.
Teliko: I need to apologize. I do trust you.
Snake: But...

Teliko: Don't let me down, OK?
Snake: ...

The super spies over here wasted too much time shooting the breeze, and now Leone's here.

Teliko doesn't warrant a greeting, apparently.

Leone: If you refuse to run, I'll just have to stomp you out.
Leone: The "Legendary American Hero," huh? This should be fun...

The ambush? Just think of it like a surprise party.

Teliko: It looks like that exit is our only way out.

She means the door Leone just came through (and is now standing in front of).

Teliko: We have to do something about Leone, or we're trapped in here.
Leone: Have you found out anything about my troops and I?
Snake: You're a group of angry soldiers, who lost their countries to U.S. control?

Before anyone actually does anything, it's time for a speech.

Leone: But you got the "angry" part right. I am very, very pissed. I've dreamt only of crushing the United States, ever since that awful time.

There's something charming about Snake's portrait coupled with these ellipsis lines. Which is good, because they're about half of Snake's role in the game.

Leone: I was once like you -- serving America as a soldier -- a drat patriot.

Hello, Jeffrey.

Leone: But BEAGLE had, and still has, a low opinion of me. So they crushed my pride.
Snake: You want Pythagoras. Is that why you're here?
Leone: I got a call out of the blue. Without his info, I couldn't have attacked BEAGLE. I had no way of knowing about Pythagoras being holed up in this lab, or about Flemming.
Snake: Info? From who?
Leone: You're in my way, Snake. I want my revenge and you're making things difficult. I can't share Pythagoras or Flemming with you. They're all mine.

Oh, Jesus Christ.

Thanks, Roger.

Alice: I'll find an escape route for you. Just stay alive long enough for me to find it, OK?
Leone: You're an annoyance, Snake. A real eyesore.

Always the pessimist.

Snake: But there's one of him, and two of us. I'll attack him straight on, then you can unload on his blind spot. That should at least give us a feel for his tactics.

Teliko's not really feeling the plan, apparently.

Next time: a showdown at BRC-026!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I've never looked this closely at Teliko's 3D model before. It does not compare well to her portrait, but I guess they were trying.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

HitTheTargets posted:

I've never looked this closely at Teliko's 3D model before. It does not compare well to her portrait, but I guess they were trying.

It's about the same level of fidelity as they had in MGS1, we just have more opportunity to compare them side-by-side.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Twenty: Escape from the Big Man

Today, we're jumping right in with a mission, and the first boss fight of Metal Gear Acid! :toot:

The first thing to note is that there's a permanent Alert on for this mission. Unfortunately, you can't just duck around a corner and wait for Leone to get distracted reading Playboy or whatever.

Leone himself is the only enemy on the map, but he's a heavy one. 1,000 HP is a lot, but the bigger obstacle is his equipment. Each one of those exclamation point boxes is a 100% front evade "card" that means that no attack from the front or the side is getting through. The two in the bottom row stop him from being knocked down, so you can't burn through his hand or knock him out.

Thankfully, Leone doesn't just start the fight by rushing you down. In fact, he spends a lot of time discarding and shuffling things around.

The strategy here is to do what Snake suggested in the cutscene and split up your characters. I have Snake drawing Leone's attention while Teliko swings around the other side of the room to get behind him.

As I said, Leone will dodge all attacks from the front or the side.

You can tell from the green question mark that Snake's got Jeff's attention now.

Leone's response to this is to discard some more stuff to whatever mysterious end he has in doing this.

Anyway, this is Snake's new hobby today.

Soon enough, Leone decides that standing around discarding isn't enough.

Since Snake is around the corner, Leone threw a Grenade.

He's also chasing Snake, trying to line up a shot. If he can see you, he'll shoot with that big anti-tank rifle, so that's not ideal.

Teliko is now in position - you can see her off Leone's left shoulder there.

Using the XM8, Teliko's got great damage potential here - from this square, she can hit Leone for up to 75x8 (600) total damage.

Leone's equipped Chris Jenner cards stop him from falling down, but at the cost of 20 extra damage. This usually doesn't matter, since there's not much point trying to knock him down with the SOCOM or CQC, but it worked out nicely with the XM8's random added effects here.

The rest of Teliko's turn here is firing into Leone's spine twice more. All the "RESIST" messages popping up are the XM8 trying to set Leone on fire or make him bleed.

This was Teliko's whole role in this fight and, in fact, the whole mission. Get behind Leone, put a bunch of bullets in his back, clock out. Now it's dialogue time.

Roger: He's a die-hard fighter, Snake, and recovers much too quickly. At this rate, he'll kill you.

The thing about recovery isn't really borne out by the mechanics - Leone doesn't regenerate HP or anything.

Roger: Alice spotted an emergency exit in the northwest section of BRC. That's your only means of escape.

We've actually seen the emergency exit before, it was a dead end on the previous map.

Now for the second half of the mission, leaving.

Snake: Right.

The shift from the warehouse to this hallway is automatic. The Alert phase is still in effect, as you can see.

After the cutscene, your Cost and remaining Rest numbers carry over, which means Teliko's ending her turn right now with 18 Cost on the clock. She will not move again in this mission.

Meanwhile, there are about 10 guards hanging around the place, waiting to move in and kill her.

If you're playing smart, you should actually watch your Cost in the Leone fight so that you don't end up in this situation.

Once all the guards move, it's finally Snake's turn.

There's only one goal in this part - get one of your characters from the hallway to the target. Just like the escape from the Residential Area, only one of your characters has to make it here.

...Thankfully.

It's actually pretty lovely that this guy spawns in right behind you.

I didn't have a Cost reducer on hand, so things got a bit hairy for Snake here, too. This particular guard used an attachment that made his first shot take off half of Snake's HP.

I was sincerely concerned that this run wasn't gonna come off at this point.

In one final insult, the target is behind a door, so you have to stop one square in front of it.

Thankfully, Snake still had space left in his turn.

And we're out!

Teliko: Colonel, we've escaped from the storehouse. There's a bridge in front of us. What should we do?
Alice: I can see it! It's a drawbridge with a single leaf opening, that can be raised or lowered. Don't go any further west. I sense something deeply disturbing that way.

Well, thanks anyway, Alice.

Roger: Snake, cross the drawbridge to the north.
Snake: Got it.

The after-gameplay cutscene's actually shorter than the mission for once.

:toot:

Nothing to gather around here.

But hey, here's some outdated-rear end bonus cards. A Chaff Grenade, wow.

And now, a look in on the plane. Minette has, presumably, been here since Snake first met Teliko.

Minette: The bad person must be lying about it.

I suspect that Minette has a "cute" accent in Japanese, because she doesn't look young enough in her portrait to be using the phrase "bad person" in earnest.

Alice: No no. It's in there.

Frankly, she's got a point.

Alice: Just take it easy, OK? Don't give up, Minette.
Minette: You're not even on this plane. So you're not scared. It's not like you're in any danger of dying. That's why you can just take it easy. But things are different up here.

I feel bad for Alice here. Everyone seems to hate her except maybe Roger.

Minette: If this plane goes down and I die, I wonder if it'll hurt. I wonder if pieces of the plane will stick into me when it blows up.

This line is another reason I think Minette is older than someone who says "bad person," partially because I don't want to think about a dead 8 year old today.

Minette: Or if the plane will, like, burst into flames and I won't have time to feel anything.
Alice: The plane is not going to crash.
Minette: ...

Alice: If you start thinking bad thoughts, things won't go well at all.
Minette: But I can't think of anything good.
Alice: Well, how about a song?
Minette: You want me to sing?
Alice: What about that ad? You know, that jingle that everyone knows. With the cute singing doll.

When I think of songs everyone knows, I also definitely think of some commercial.

If it's stupid and it works, I suppose.

And now you can all know the NEKAL silk powder jingle yourselves. Just keep it in mind if you're ever looking for a bomb on a hijacked plane.

Alice: Hang in there, Minette. I know you can do it.
Minette: Alice...

Viggo: I feel more and more lethargic each time... Lena? Where are you?

And, with this quick peek at an old man being confused, the cutscene comes to a close.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011
I don't remember that boss going down quite so easily. Must be what happens when you actually know what's going to happen in a mission and build an appropriate deck for it. Also just knowing the game better than most people in general.

I think I ended up using explosives and whittling him down with bullets. And I definitely had to use a couple of medkits.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Dumb story question, if they managed to knock Leone out why didn't they just put a gun to his head and finish the job?

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
They actually don't knock him out. You burn through Leone's HP and then they all sort of decide it's not working out and to move on with their lives. Leone doesn't chase Snake/Teliko through the hallway because he's on lunch or something.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Are you forced into a different area by the cutscene to prevent you sticking around and finishing the job?

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Yeah, when the cutscene ends you're dropped into the hallway.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Deathwind posted:

Dumb story question, if they managed to knock Leone out why didn't they just put a gun to his head and finish the job?

Also, its for the same reason no one ever cut Vamp's head off with a knife.

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Also, its for the same reason no one ever cut Vamp's head off with a knife.

How would shooting Leone in the head create two Vamps? :thunk:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alex0080 posted:

How would shooting Leone in the head create two Vamps? :thunk:

Nanomachines, son.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
I'm just going to let everyone know that I'm moving this week, and I'll be in a bad internet situation for a while, maybe up to a couple of months, while I get ready for a second move. I have no intention of abandoning the LP, and I'm going to try to keep updating throughout, but if the thread goes cold for a while here, that's why.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

Cool Ghost posted:

I'm just going to let everyone know that I'm moving this week, and I'll be in a bad internet situation for a while, maybe up to a couple of months, while I get ready for a second move. I have no intention of abandoning the LP, and I'm going to try to keep updating throughout, but if the thread goes cold for a while here, that's why.

'Preciate the heads up; we'll (I'll?) still be here.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
I'm here, I just don't post much. So...here's a post about how much I'm glad you're lp'ing this, since this was one of the Metal Gear games that I missed out on completely.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

This game's plot is bananas so far, and that's even by MGS standards.

What is it with Kojima and needing psychics in his gritty action dramas?

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Be glad the psychic in this game is on our side for once.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Twenty-One: Hittin' the Brakes

For the last couple missions, Metal Gear Acid's been going full speed. There's been intrigue, deception, mentions of actual Metal Gears, the whole nine yards. Today, though, we're gonna be taking it slow.

This textbox that I closed too early is the biggest thing in the whole update. After BRC-026, a new feature has been added to the Shop:

Singles are now available in the area.

So, in addition to the regular three-card packs, you can also choose from a selection of individual cards. This is, uh, not a major feature, to be honest. The loosies here are chosen from any card available to you, most of which aren't worth buying, and you can only get one copy of each per restock.

I got lucky, though, and there was a Gurlukovich Soldier available, so I picked that up. More movement is never a bad thing.

And that's all there is to see in Intermission for now! It's time to get back to the game with a trip through the Upper Ruins.

Before we actually get to it, Roger's got some important information for us.

Roger: Follow this road to the west and you'll come to the drawbridge. It's under surveillance by Cyphers. Be careful.

Okay, I lied about the important information.

The Upper Ruins are less ruin-y than the Lower Ruins were, with most of the roadblocks comprising shipping containers and crates. There are two "paths" through the area, with this upper path being patrolled by regular ol' guards.

On the lower path, these machines are handling surveillance. You can see here that they all start in a central location - if you set up properly, you can use this to your advantage and dash right through to the goal area.

This is what a proper setup looks like.

I burned a turn inching Teliko forward, which caused this guard to become very fascinated by an old barrel.

And then Teliko zooms through with Stealth on.

Unfortunately, Snake didn't draw the right cards to follow closely, so he's gonna have a much worse time on this one. My plan didn't pan out properly in that regard, oops.

These flying things are Cyphers, and the fact that they're out away from the path gives them a big advantage over the guards: you can't get behind them.

One Cypher gets very close to Snake, but not quite close enough to notice him. Generally, I think the starting space of a map is a pretty safe one to stand on.

Teliko, meanwhile, is already at the goal. I'm just having her hide against the container in case her stealth wears off.

I believe this was caused by Snake moving just on the edge of this Cypher's field of vision, but it doesn't actually matter to anything.

The guards on the top path have excellent vision and are able to see pretty much the whole area. You can see here Snake's moved up and is hiding behind a crate while I look for a way past this guy.

This guy's a little trickier, though. I want to get under the truck, but he's too close for me to cross his vision cone without popping an instant Alert.

So I had to get a little more creative. If you get next to a guard and punch them, they move one space in the direction Snake's facing, but they don't react immediately.

A couple kicks to the back of the head and this guy's right up against the truck. Can't see poo poo now.

And there it is!

Mission complete! :toot:

And an S rank, to boot. My original plan was to use Chaff Grenades and have Snake sprint down the south path the way Teliko did, but this was just as effective in the end.

Nothing to pick up on this map.

The bonus cards are still from the MGS1 pack, which is still outdated.

Snake: The drawbridge is up ahead.
Roger: Be quick. FAR is just a stone's throw away.

And, after a quick check-in with HQ, we're back to the Intermission. That's all for the Upper Ruins! Just a short stretch of road as we continue to pursue Flemming.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I like that kicking someone multiple times in the back of the head is the way to make sure they don't notice your presence.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I like that kicking someone multiple times in the back of the head is the way to make sure they don't notice your presence.

I guess a punch from nowhere was enough to leave the poor guard stunned, so he couldn't react to anything afterwards.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
Glad to see this is back, Cool Ghost!

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

To be fair, enough kicks will make sure that they don't notice much of anything.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Twenty-Two: Betrayal on the Big Bridge

There's nothing between the Upper Ruins and the Drawbridge, so we're ready to move on to our current goal.

First, though, I realised that Snake's AK deck, which involved three cards per attack, was better suited to Teliko, so I swapped them around. Now Snake has the XM8 and Teliko has the AK.

Anyway, the Drawbridge.

The mission opens with obnoxiously long shot of the thing.

The fact that Snake and Teliko run into every area and then immediately stop is mildly amusing to me. I also like the shot of Snake squinting into the middle distance.

Frankly, there's not much else to do on the map.

Teliko: I'll take the lead.

The objective this time is another simple one: go north.

Scanning around shows that the map is actually totally empty. There is nothing visible except for Snake and Teliko.

There's an MGS2 pack around the side of the small building, and no reason not to pick it up.

Also of note is that they didn't set the building up quite right, so you can't see inside of it if you go in. There's nothing in here, so there's no reason to go in, but there it is.

The only view of the interior you can get is in the hand screen. The building is just totally empty.

Other than that, north is the order of the day, so north it is.

It's a fairly long bridge, and you know what they say: the longer the bridge, the more exciting it is to cross unimpeded.

So exciting, in fact, that the game cuts to a scene halfway across.

Teliko has taken it upon herself to spice things up, clearly.

:eng101: I also want to point out that Teliko is holding a Desert Eagle here, despite her deck originally containing a USP as a sidearm and her character art showing her holding a 1911.

She takes a couple of warning shots at Snake, then books it across the bridge.

...And there goes the Pythagoras disc. :sigh:

The drawbridge going up takes longer than it needs to.

I read this with a tone that suggests Roger should, or even can, do something about it.

Snake: Teliko's on the other side!

Yeah, dude, it's almost like she stole your data.

Roger: You've been separated? Hold on... I'm getting a call from her. Teliko, everything all right? Come in, Teliko. Please respond.

Clearly, Teliko is pranking Roger by calling him and not saying anything.

Snake seems to be staring at something off to his left here.

Teliko: Everything went so smoothly. I just had to laugh!
Roger: Teliko? It can't be. Who the hell are you?!
Teliko: Did you miss me, Colonel? Did you miss your former pupil?
Roger: No, you're not Teliko!
Teliko: You're getting rusty, Colonel. Hahahahahaha!

So, as it turns out, someone in Metal Gear Acid wasn't exactly who they said they were.

Still starin'.

Or, uh, hm. I guess she is exactly who she said she was. Gave Snake a speech about it and everything.

Roger: What?!
Teliko: ...Heh heh heh...bye, now!

Honestly, it loses something because we can't see Teliko actually leave at this point. She doesn't even hang up the codec dramatically.

Snake: ...I did.
Roger: Dammit! What the hell is going on here?!

Sounds to me like an enemy agent posed as Snake's ally to get their hands on valuable data. It's not that complicated a scheme.

Roger: This is too much! Was Teliko an imposter from the beginning?!

Roger is unreasonably mad about this.

Alice: Please stop shouting. I'm fairly sure there's an operations room close by which is used to raise and lower the bridge.

I guess it is there for a reason.

Roger: It might be the operations room. Head to the booth, lower the drawbridge, and cross over it.
Snake: ...Right.

And now we have a new mission, to check out the booth/shed.

There's still nothing on the map, so it's a quick run.

But, you know, nothing's ever easy.

Roger: What?!

There's no time for Snake to explain it further, as the explosion has drawn the attention of the guards.

Snake runs over here to set up the next part of the mission.

I don't think this is the time for that.

Snake: Roger.
Roger: What is it?
Snake: It's not good. I'm surrounded.

When the guards show up, one looks pretty much directly at Snake. So I'm imagining him here on the codec while the guard points a gun at him and Snake's holding up one finger like "hey gimme a minute here."

Roger: You can't turn back, Snake. She's getting away! Hurry! Eliminate any soldiers in your way. That's an order.
Snake: Yes, sir.

And so, the mission changes once again. Unlike the other times Snake's been spotted and cornered, there's no way out of this without fighting.

The guards all immediately close in.

Unfortunately, all I had in my hand at this point was a standard M4. Fortunately, the guards only have 50 HP each.

Even with the guy's armour kicking in, I managed to take him out.

Ran my cost up to 19, though, so now Snake's a sitting duck.

After this guy fired at him, Snake countered. You can counter a direct attack (so, someone shooting at you or what have you) with an equipped weapon. Each weapon has its own counterattack rate, the M4's being 60%. This gives you instant return damage, but it comes at the cost of unequipping the equipped weapon, so it mostly happens when you don't have enough on hand to equip and attack again. There's also no way to stop it from happening if the chance comes up, which is not always ideal.

Counterattacks provide regular damage and hit rate, so there's no loss there.

But Snake's still just sort of sitting around waiting to get shot.

At least, until I drew this. In Metal Gear Solid games, if you equip stealth camo while you're on Alert, it won't work properly and enemies will still be able to see and attack you.

Metal Gear Acid doesn't have that feature. Snake is now totally invisible and, because enemies won't directly target an invisible character, effectively untouchable.

This provides something of an advantage in a firefight.

If you shoot noisy guns, they'll hear the sound and come investigate, but they kind of forget that they were fighting someone a minute ago.

I don't remember if I replaced the Stealth with the XM8 accidentally or on purpose.

Soon enough, though, I had another Stealth and I just started kicking the guards around on a lark.

I eventually got tired of that and killed them.

Roger: Forget the drawbridge. Head west, on the double! If she gets away with that data, we're back to square one. Get a hold of that phony Teliko, Snake.
Snake: Yes, sir. Heading west.

One last mission change.

This one also comes with the targets, so you can tell we're almost out.

There are no guards or cutscenes to slow Snake down.

And there it is!

I was briefly worried that Snake would get killed on this one, because I was stuck getting shot for a round and there are no healing items in his deck. The Stealth really saved my bacon.

The card haul is unremarkable, as usual.

Before we get back to the Intermission, it's time for a small call.

Roger: Hold on, Snake.
Snake: What is it?
Roger: It's Alice. She...

Alice wants a bigger role in the story.

Snake: There is no time.
Alice: Quiet!

Roger is taking recent developments quite poorly.

Roger: This is unbelievable. First Gary, now Teliko. Tell me you're not next, Snake.
Snake: ...Roger.
Roger: ...Sorry. It's just that I've reached my limits.

Roger, this is regular for Solid Snake. This is Tuesday.

Alice seems to think that Teliko didn't go north, even though we saw her go north across the bridge.

Snake: Where?
Alice: Very close. The building right in front of you.
Roger: Isn't that the place you had a bad feeling about?
Alice: Yes.

Wonderful.

Roger: According to intelligence, it was some sort of prototype factory. Maybe she's using it as a base of operations.
Snake: Roger, who are we talking about here?
Roger: It's not Teliko.

I don't know why Snake says "or he" here, there's no real indication that the voice changed or anyone other than a woman was speaking.

Roger: Teliko is a real person. And, as a member of HRT, I'm sure she was on this mission. But that... thing wasn't Teliko.
Snake: Then who is it?
Roger: BEAGLE-related documents just in from headquarters refer to one "La Clown."

In French, the word "clown" is masculine, so I assume that's not actually a feminine article and this is instead pronounced the way you would talk about someone from California that you didn't like much.

Things are just starting to get weird to Snake. A battle clown is, like, 40% weird to him.

Roger: Nationality and gender unknown. No one's ever seen its real face.

This is a little weird to me. I don't think there's anything else in the game that suggests Clown isn't a woman, so Roger's use of "its" and "that thing" doesn't sit right with me.

Roger: La Clown is a BEAGLE-hired assassin--master of disguise and hypnotism. BEAGLE feared their hidden Pythagoras research data would be brought to light, so La Clown was hired to steal it before the Leone Unit or our team could get a hold of it, then to cover it up.
Roger: Snake, I need you to infiltrate that factory, and get Pythagoras back from Clown.

And so, Snake runs off toward Ebro Tower in the west.

Bringing us back to the Intermission, ready to continue pursuit.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, I definitely did not see that coming. "La Clown" is impossible to take seriously though, I kind of expect the YGO weird Kaiba clown dude to explode out of fake-Teliko now.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Is Snake fake or is Snake under Clown hypnotesis? Who's Rogers? Will Alice graduate into Top 10 Anime Betrayals? We shall see in the next episode of
Metal Gear Acid!

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
This game is very silly and the dry humor commentary is a good juxtaposition.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cool Ghost posted:

Roger: This is unbelievable. First Gary, now Teliko. Tell me you're not next, Snake.
Snake: ...Roger.

This exchange amuses me far more than it should.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

La Clown and La Parka in a mask vs disk match

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Gonna have to do better than La Clown if you want to shock me, Acid, I grew up with MGS2.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Hey, just wanted to post a quick check-in. I've been busy the last little while, so I haven't had much time to get new screens, and when I did, I found a problem in my setup that made them no good, so I'll have to go back and try again. However, I'm going to be moving in a couple of days, so I won't be able to actually do that for a while longer. Again, no intention to abandon the LP, I want to finish it, but I've only got enough screens for one last update here and then it'll be another few weeks before I can get back to a "regular" schedule. Sorry for the delays.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Not a worry, take your time - and focus on the move, that'd be more exciting than flicking video game cards around for sure :)

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Twenty-Three: Regular Field with No Mines

Teliko's dumped Snake off and we're headed for Ebro Tower, but the path there leads through one more filler level first.

The Upper Minefield, like the Lower Minefield, is strictly an interstitial area. There's no kind of cutscene or briefing or anything when you enter the area, just straight to the action.

There are a few guys patrolling the area.

And then this guy, who's just staring off the cliff. You take what you can get when you've got minefield detail.

My plan here is just to equip Stealth and run through. There's not much to see, so it might as well just be a dash.

Except for one thing. Somehow, when selecting the level, I misread "minefield" as "regular field with no mines" and neglected to bring a Mine Detector card. I considered redoing the level at this point, but decided it was funnier to see Solid Snake, the world's greatest mercenary, pratfall through a minefield.

The biggest problem with this decision is that taking damage knocks out your Stealth. Claymores are actually the biggest threat to Stealth, due to the previously explored "enemies can't shoot you if you're invisible" thing.

The guards shuffle around a bit but again, invisible. Metal Gear Solid games tend to lock the Stealth item off behind not only clearing the game, but completing some kind of challenge like beating the game without getting spotted. It also tends to count against your ranking at the end of the game. There's a reason it's set up like this, but Metal Gear Acid just lets you buy this poo poo at the store, kind of like how you can get an XM8 from a password.

In other news, this guy's still hangin' out by the cliffs.

I ducked into this cabin for an MGS2 pack, but the detour stacked up enough Cost to run out the Stealth.

This presented a problem when this motherfucker parked outside between Snake and the goal.

He died for his sins.

Then I drew another Stealth card the next turn, so I guess he didn't have to.

The end! No moral!

The difference between an A and an S on this mission is probably that you don't run into any mines. Maybe that guy doesn't get killed. But you know what? It doesn't matter. I didn't even want an S rank.

These cards I picked up aren't even very good.

Nor are the clear bonus cards that bring this update to a close. It's a short one, yes, but that's only because there's so much Ebro Tower you'll poo poo. So, uh, stay tuned for that. Maybe don't wear your favourite pants next time.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
Huzzah for a new update!

Stealth is so game breaking I had to start challenging myself to pull those cards out of my deck and play 'normally' to have fun again.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
I had to decide if I wanted to do Ebro Tower "properly" and engage with the mechanics, or if I just wanted to use Stealth. I never really used it in Acid 2 back in the day, though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's interesting to see how different these handheld games were while still sorta keeping with their Metal Gear nature

Do any of the other games ever reference these

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
The only reference I can think of is that Teliko and a character from Acid 2 are available as recruits via password in Portable Ops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

That and MGS3 guards giving ac!d passwords at gun point was all I found