Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

I played Shadow Complex once and now I get 50-60 emails a week that someone in Uzbekistan is trying to hack me out of all my fortnites and I wish they'd loving be successful already.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think Shadow Complex was the last WRPG I actually finished before Witcher 3.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knew what this was going to be before I clicked on it, still cracked up laughing anyways.

Ostentatious posted:

naoto is much better than chie

the best girl is actually Kawakami

Judge Eyes has me hype as gently caress and I'm thrilled for the new direction they're gonna take the Yakuza 6 engine in. Also here's a trailer for the next Front Mission thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut1cj0nMzbg

Sad to admit that yes, I'm extremely excited to play this.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oops double

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1039234683987537921/photo/1

Perfect for the Switch

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1039229342809772033

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Raxivace posted:

I think Shadow Complex was the last WRPG I actually finished before Witcher 3.

I thought shadow complex was that metroidy game with like rockets and a foam gun or something. what am I thinking of

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

b_d posted:

I thought shadow complex was that metroidy game with like rockets and a foam gun or something. what am I thinking of

You are correct.

Shadow Hearts was an RPG, maybe that's what they're thinking of?

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
Starting in your late 20s you get to start watching your reflexes turn to complete dog poo poo in real time. At this point I can't even hang in the least twitchy FPS games anymore, then trying to get good at For Honor was the biggest disaster of all. The future is all coop and singleplayer games :(

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Graphic posted:

Starting in your late 20s you get to start watching your reflexes turn to complete dog poo poo in real time. At this point I can't even hang in the least twitchy FPS games anymore, then trying to get good at For Honor was the biggest disaster of all. The future is all coop and singleplayer games :(

Thankfully we have been granted the mercy of jrpgs.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Shadow Hearts was an RPG, maybe that's what they're thinking of?
I think they might have got it confused with Alpha Protocol.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 10, 2018

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

buying this to chew on

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
If it makes you feel better, you weren't really missing out with For Honor

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

b_d posted:

No that's Shadow Complex. It also has leveling and stats and such, similar to Symphony of the Night.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Now make one of Switch cartridges

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Graphic posted:

Yeah I'm like 28 and I can only do decent in Siege if I've been drinking, it sucks

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Raxivace posted:

No that's Shadow Complex. It also has leveling and stats and such, similar to Symphony of the Night.

So the problem isn't that you said the wrong game, the problem is you don't know what WRPG means. Or, to be kind, you have a definition so broad that it includes nearly everything as a WRPG.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

me reading this

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

naoto is much better than chie

i used to care about this debate but then i remembered they're both cops

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unreal_One posted:

So the problem isn't that you said the wrong game, the problem is you don't know what WRPG means. Or, to be kind, you have a definition so broad that it includes nearly everything as a WRPG.

Shadow Complex doesn't have leveling and stats anyway, it's pure upgrades like a Metroid game.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Looper posted:

i used to care about this debate but then i remembered they're both cops

And so the best girl is Labrys once again.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Saint Freak posted:

And so the best girl is Labrys once again.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Shadow Complex doesn't have leveling and stats anyway, it's pure upgrades like a Metroid game.
Uh yes it does? There are even many guides out there for the best way to grind XP and quickly level up in that game. Here's another guide that explains how leveling up affects stats.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

eh senpai...i'm walkin here

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Graphic posted:

Some of the best fighting game players are in their 30s.

As an Elder Gamer you learn that shooter superiority is only partially about twitch reflexes and so much more of it has to do with tactical positioning and game sense

For example if you're doing badly in a Battlefield game it's usually because there are a couple of people on your team completely loving you over so don't stress about it

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

It does have characters and action, and is thus obviously a character action game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Raxivace posted:

Uh yes it does? There are even many guides out there for the best way to grind XP and quickly level up in that game. Here's another guide that explains how leveling up affects stats.

Huh, I didn't remember that at all

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

me reading this

:bisonyes:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope it is just a remaster collection of the whole series mostly cause i want a good way to revisit the first two

katamari damacy 1 emulates fine but we love katamari gets pretty heavy and has some graphical issues

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I can’t play Platinum games, I don’t need constant reminders that I’m getting old and have dumb meat hands that can’t parry good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Competitive Gamer's Mantra (7:36)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75oun5gvDAU&t=456s

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I feel like I've gotten better at games as I got older, though it's mostly just persistence since years ago I would give up the second I hit a hard bit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I feel the same way but I chalk it up to sticking to my favorite genres and the related skills being universal.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't really play twitchy action games very often so my practice has made me better while declining reflexes haven't mattered. I am very powerful within my chosen field

I suck when I venture outside it though

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah the older I get, the more I appreciate the "easy to just pick up, hard to master" design philosophy in games. Stuff that's super involved out of the box I just can't do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All of my abilities to manage econ and micro in my War3 heydays have vanished and I’m too impatient now to practice air guard or combos in fighting games for hours. In other ways I’ve gotten better, like my puzzle solving skills are objectively improved over my idiot 14 year old self trying to figure out the final riddle in Myst 3 Exile.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I think the wrpg mention above is shadow run

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think i'll ever be able to penetrate the mind game part of fighting games but i've gotten way better with inputs over the years so as long as a game wants me to input a flashy button combo i can probably do it

but i'm also just 20 so i don't have the brain reflex rot

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

All of my abilities to manage econ and micro in my War3 heydays have vanished and I’m too impatient now to practice air guard or combos in fighting games for hours. In other ways I’ve gotten better, like my puzzle solving skills are objectively improved over my idiot 14 year old self trying to figure out the final riddle in Myst 3 Exile.

after finishing all the good myst games my friends decided we have to play the bad ones so we're on myst 3 which it turns out is actually good it just has a dumb story. I remember the idea behind the final puzzle but fortunately I've forgotten the rest. That final puzzle is a doozy though

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ll happily play games on easy now.

• Locked thread