Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

cheetah7071 posted:

after finishing all the good myst games my friends decided we have to play the bad ones so we're on myst 3 which it turns out it actually good it just has a dumb story. I remember the idea behind the final puzzle but fortunately I've forgotten the rest. That final puzzle is a doozy though

Brad Douriff’s performance in that game is legit awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not looking forward to replaying Myst V

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Taintrunner posted:

Knew what this was going to be before I clicked on it, still cracked up laughing anyways.

the best girl is actually Kawakami

Judge Eyes has me hype as gently caress and I'm thrilled for the new direction they're gonna take the Yakuza 6 engine in. Also here's a trailer for the next Front Mission thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut1cj0nMzbg

Sad to admit that yes, I'm extremely excited to play this.

Give me gameplay! I know it's too much to hope for another tactical RPG and this trailer certainly has an "action game" feel, but I desperately want to be surprised.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did y'all play Uru? I never understood how an online point-and-click adventure was supposed to work

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

I’ll happily play games on easy now.

If the only difference in a game is enemy health and you gotta fight a lot, yeah im with you. If it makes enemies more passive i get bored on easy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I found Obduction way easier than any Myst but that may be because I'm literally three times as old now

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did y'all play Uru? I never understood how an online point-and-click adventure was supposed to work

No, that's in fact the only Myst game I've never played. We might get to it or skip it I dunno. We're counting Obduction as a Myst game but we want to finish Myst proper first.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

haveblue posted:

I found Obduction way easier than any Myst but that may be because I'm literally three times as old now

Original Myst is the easiest Myst game by far (unless my memories of Myst V are wrong since I haven't played it recently; all the others have fresh memories)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Man, I wasted my golden years of twitch reflexes on Final Fantasy games and Civ, and now I play things like Souls and Platinum games and fighting games. If only I could Benjamin Button

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think I last played Myst V 8 years ago. The stone tablet system feels really half baked and the Ages are all uninteresting, which is the one thing a Myst game cannot do. The night planet with the astrolab was all right I guess.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I got Myst V for free which was the right price for it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watching someone on Twitch play Valkyrie Chronicles 4, and I am wondering... does anime war ever change?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I play harder games now because I have more patience compared to when I was a sugar-addled monster.

And also because a lot of the things that made games hard for me was usually me flat out not understanding something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Original Myst is the easiest Myst game by far (unless my memories of Myst V are wrong since I haven't played it recently; all the others have fresh memories)

Riven is the most difficult game in the series yet ironically all the puzzle solutions are so memorable and triumphant that I could still probably recall them 20 years later.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ask me about being a loving dumbass kid who just read the guide for all the puzzle solutions in Riven and can still remember them all perfectly 20 years later because Riven is just that much of a masterpiece

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

My main fighting game stumbling blocks before even getting to mind games are being unable to decide on a character and still having to think about what I'm doing in a combo rather than it just being automatic.

I said come in! posted:

Watching someone on Twitch play Valkyrie Chronicles 4, and I am wondering... does anime war ever change?

Well it's the same war as the first game on a different front, so not exactly a valid question.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
How I pick fighting game characters
1. how cool they look
2. how cute they look
3. which ones move fast

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I pick the rushdown characters.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Seriously, Resistance? First you send me to Grimsby and now to Cheshire? If I wanted a tour of all the poo poo-ridden dilapidated towns stripped bare by the greed of capitalism I'd just hop on a bus up north.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man, I wasted my golden years of twitch reflexes on Final Fantasy games and Civ, and now I play things like Souls and Platinum games and fighting games. If only I could Benjamin Button

Souls and Platinum games are slow enough that they're easily playable in your 30's or 40's in my opinion. Fighting games and first person shooters are a different deal and definitely get tougher as you get older, at least if you want to play competitively. If your'e not interested in competition though, they're not too bad. One of the fun things I've found is that I'm able to control a first person shooter with a gamepad a whole lot better than I could when I was 18. Still not as good as M+KB but a vast departure from what basically looked like that one reviewer dude playing Doom 2016 comically poorly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have the same problem in fighting games that I have with most competitive multiplayer games: I'm a competitive nerd who grew up playing video games and so I usually get good and win too easily against most of my real-life friends (who aren't horrible turbonerds like I am), but I'm also not that good at video games compared to ~*~real gamers~*~ so if I play online I get owned hard. It's not that I'm good at video games at all--it's just that I'm used to video games and so they're easy for me to understand and get the basics down, and most of my real-life friends haven't wasted as much of their lives playing games as I have :v:

I mean the problem is totally my own fault. I'm a lovely stupid rear end in a top hat nerd so I have a hard time intentionally holding back so that it's more of a fair fight, I just get frustrated and don't have fun.

Nintendo games work out well, though, because they're either in genres that I'm not all that good at to begin with (racing games like Mario Kart) or they can get really chaotic and I get owned pretty regularly in the crossfire (Smash Bros with items on). That's probably why all my favorite Smash Bros stages are the moving ones that get really nuts, like PokeFloats and Big Blue.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I will never understand how KB+M is meant to be a good way of playing FPSs. The double stick method is so much more intuitive.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I played FPS nonstop as a kid and I've only started playing more fighting games in the last few years, and as a decrepit 30 something lich I find them way easier than shooters.

Part of it is that FPS leans too hard on whipcrack headclicking as the most important skill rather than something interesting, but I usually only play them online after drinking anymore.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The last time I tried in a fighting game was P4A because the best character and the easiest to play character were the same for once

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Rarity posted:

I will never understand how KB+M is meant to be a good way of playing FPSs. The double stick method is so much more intuitive.

speed and precision

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Souls and Platinum games are slow enough that they're easily playable in your 30's or 40's in my opinion. Fighting games and first person shooters are a different deal and definitely get tougher as you get older, at least if you want to play competitively. If your'e not interested in competition though, they're not too bad. One of the fun things I've found is that I'm able to control a first person shooter with a gamepad a whole lot better than I could when I was 18. Still not as good as M+KB but a vast departure from what basically looked like that one reviewer dude playing Doom 2016 comically poorly.

Eh, I mean I can beat Souls games (eventually) but I usually die hundreds of times. And I can also beat the story mode of Platinum games but, say, the challenge rooms and NG+ are super brutal

Cowcaster posted:

speed and precision

Ya, any game which requires quick headshots creates the biggest gap for me between gamepad and MKB. I am fine playing single-player campaigns on console but playing multiplayer is a hellscape

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Once you put in the time and effort to get good at KBM, it lets you be faster and more accurate than a gamepad. You can't really deny this, but you can certainly argue whether it adds all that much to a particular game. Most FPSes are in no way ruined by having a maximum turning rate and aim assistance.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rarity posted:

Aiming with a mouse is a lot more precise. FPS games that are designed to be played with controllers usually need to build in a certain amount of automatic aim correction to make up for the loss of accuracy when you aim with a stick. There's nothing wrong with that and it doesn't make console FPS games objectively worse or anything, but it's definitely a clear sign of the difference in how precise each input method is.

That said, I much prefer moving around with a controller than with WASD, so I'm happy to play FPS games either way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

The last time I tried in a fighting game was P4A because the best character and the easiest to play character were the same for once

Hm, I’ve consulted the internet on this and they all seem to agree that the best characters in any game require the least amount of skill.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Rarity posted:

Click on heads. I went from all KB (back in the old Wolf3D/Doom days) to KB+M with Quake without any trouble at all. Then Halo and Medal of Honor came along and learning dual stick was really difficult for me. Once I got the hang of it over years, it was really fun though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

Hm, I’ve consulted the internet on this and they all seem to agree that the best characters in any game require the least amount of skill.

I meant best as in character I most wanted to play, not most powerful. Choosing the most powerful character because they are powerful is the coward's way out

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also as a mouse and keyboard fanatic my main issue with gamepads isn't even so much the speed and precision thing as much as you can't be using the right stick and the face buttons simultaneously. especially in 3rd person games where the right stick/mouse movement is usually free camera, i like to be able to rotate it constantly while also being able to still press buttons if i need to.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 10, 2018

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Eh, I mean I can beat Souls games (eventually) but I usually die hundreds of times. And I can also beat the story mode of Platinum games but, say, the challenge rooms and NG+ are super brutal

Ya, any game which requires quick headshots creates the biggest gap for me between gamepad and MKB. I am fine playing single-player campaigns on console but playing multiplayer is a hellscape

Those modes take a lot of mastery and patience but I'm not sure they're governed by too much of a ceiling on twitched.

When it comes to muliplayer on console, it's definitely a situation where I feel like I'm getting destroyed by teenagers who are far better at dual stick than I am, but I've gotten pretty good in certain games like Titanfall 2 and BLOPS3 anyway because that's where the majority of players are and it just takes practice to stay competent. I'm never going to be able to play on a highly competitive level but I do enjoy myself.

Cowcaster posted:

also as a mouse and keyboard fanatic my main issue with gamepads isn't even so much the speed and precision thing as much as you can't be using the right stick and the face buttons simultaneously. especially in 3rd person games where the right stick/mouse movement is usually free camera, i like to be able to rotate it constantly while also being able to still press buttons if i need to.

Shoulder plus stick click-ins gives you 6 buttons. That may not be enough for all cases but it's enough in the two games above I listed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bloodychill posted:

Shoulder plus stick click-ins gives you 6 buttons. That may not be enough for all cases but it's enough in the two games above I listed.

Also one of the big features of “pro” controllers is back paddles, so you can activate the face buttons with ring finger or pinkie without letting go of the stick.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

dual analog is a garbage way to play shooting games. give me a mouse or gyro controls

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When I play Battlefield or open world games on PC, I use MKB for shooting on foot and gamepad for vehicle piloting

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

check out blazblue cross tag. it has a bunch of p4a characters and all the accessibility features of that game but taken even further. and labrys is still cool

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

they make $150-200 controllers designed to remedy this lol

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

the future... in your hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

an actual dog posted:

they make $150-200 controllers designed to remedy this lol

:prepop:

• Locked thread