Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
It's cool to disagree, maybe I'm being too harsh on MM but I'm frustrated as gently caress with this crap and I ran out of booze halfway through that clusterfuck yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

It's cool to disagree, maybe I'm being too harsh on MM but I'm frustrated as gently caress with this crap and I ran out of booze halfway through that clusterfuck yesterday.

PROBLEM SPOTTED!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Marcus is good. Blaine gabbert is not good but he's definitely better than matt cassel was last year.

Also LOL at anyone saying marcus is the worst qb is the division after Watson's performance yesterday. Just LOL

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Watson had a significantly better game than Mariota

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

He came back out twice after 2 weather delays and throws 2 straight INTS. Obviously he thought he could play, as did the coaches and medical staff, or they wouldn't have sent him out there twice. So again if others can play hurt far worse, why can't he suck it up and lead his team with better play than he did?

He tried to suck it up and lead the team he just physically couldn't throw the ball accurately. Like imagine asking a pitcher to throw a fastball with an injured throwing elbow as accurate as when when healthy. Its not happening where the injury is is just as important as severity. A worse leg injury may not affect a qb as much as a lesser elbow injury because the qb can still do his throwing mechanics with the leg injury assuming he can put his weight on the leg

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Intruder posted:

Watson had a significantly better game than Mariota

Nah

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Man and here I thought Texans fans brains had been broken by years of bad QB play

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Intruder posted:

Man and here I thought Texans fans brains had been broken by years of bad QB play

other teams merely adopted the bad qb play, our franchise was born in it.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
How dare everyone try to steal the "Worst AFC South Quarterback" title that Bort has so valiantly earned.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

lmao at 'why can't man throw football good when appendage used to throw football hurt'

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'm just over here chillin' with my homie, Andrew Luck.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
https://twitter.com/BrooksW44/status/1038891498555756545?s=19

What a dick. No titans player has ever intentionally tried to injure someone

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

thrilla in vanilla posted:

https://twitter.com/BrooksW44/status/1038891498555756545?s=19

Bernard Pollard.

Edit: drat! He was a Chief when he took out Brady

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Albert Haynesworth did nothing wrong.

But yeah, that Branch hit was completely lovely, illegal, and he should have been flagged and tossed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Not sure how to feel about the Colts.

Asking Vinatieri who is alive and well at 45 years of age to kick 50+ field goals to bail things out is not really a solution when the o-line looks like Swiss cheese yet again.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Colostomy Bag posted:

Not sure how to feel about the Colts.

Asking Vinatieri who is alive and well at 45 years of age to kick 50+ field goals to bail things out is not really a solution when the o-line looks like Swiss cheese yet again.

Quenton Nelson looked like a loving champ. If you watch a lot of his pass blocking snaps he literally (and figuratively) stands out because he gives up like two feet at the line of scrimmage, plants himself and shuts the rusher out. All the other guys are skating backwards trying to hang onto their guys and he's just sewing a dude up and holding him there. He's gonna be amazing.

It's cool to see Luck playing again too. That's about all I have to say about the Colts, they're bad.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Randy Starks JACKED UP! (holy poo poo that was a bad look for the NFL/espn) Kellen Winslow Jr on a similar block back when knocking someone out on the football field was still considered cool and good

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Luck was fine, not flawless. He had some issues with ball placement in 1-1 matchups, but he did a great job throwing to spots against zone.
Carlos Dunlap abused Haeg filling in for an injured Costonzo at LT. I don't know how Costonzo fares there, but it's likely a degree better. The interior of the line was fine.
Running backs weren't as bad as I thought. Wilkins surprised me, and Hines was a few thigh grabs away from busting some huge plays.
WR and TE did a better job than anticipated outside of getting separation in man coverage. Only TY seems to do that, but Luck didn't do him many favors there.
Margus Hunt had a few plays that almost made me forget cutting Simon. I think we are a worse team for cutting Hankins and Simon, to be clear.
Eberflaus wants to scheme around shifty D linemen stunting to get penetration. Sometimes it works, but he doesn't seem to believe in gap responsibility, so he will stunt a DE inside and have no one playing force on that outside gap, which allowed Mixon to run wild.
Darius Leonard is the truth. He is every bit as athletic as he was billed.
Some of the play calling does worry me. The difference between top tier and mid tier offensive play calling is giving a divergent option if the primary look for the play is covered. Reich seems to call a lot of plays with only one or two similar options. Drags with two layered drags and no other release valve, 1 or 2 WRs running single cut routes against man, etc.

I don't think that we are as bad as most anticipated. Doyle doesn't fumble there and we likely win. We have some promising players that need a little more experience like Nelson and Leonard. I'm not worried after that game, even though it stings to lose a winnable game.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm done with the excuses for Mariota, I'm done with how the media and the coaches coddle him and his mistakes. I'm tired of after a loss "those bad throws are on me, I gotta play better." NO poo poo IDIOT IT'S YEAR 4 FOR YOU

Stafford and Dalton are both at nearly a decade of "this is the year they win a playoff game" and this is year 7 of "this is the make-or-break year for Ryan Tannehill", 4 years of coddling and second chances is nothing in this league of QBs

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
Watson held onto the ball for loving ever and it made the Texans OL look really bad (not that they are all world, they aren’t). Kevin Johnson looked piss poor and then got injured and the defense didn’t put much pressure on Brady. That game was 24-6 going into the 4th and the Texans looked every bit as bad as that score indicates; O’brien needs to get his poo poo together if he wants the Texans offense to be better than lackluster.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’m starting to think Mariota was benched by Vrabel and the injury was a convenient excuse for all parties not to lose face.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

I’m starting to think Mariota was benched by Vrabel and the injury was a convenient excuse for all parties not to lose face.

You are insane

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Play posted:

Quenton Nelson looked like a loving champ. If you watch a lot of his pass blocking snaps he literally (and figuratively) stands out because he gives up like two feet at the line of scrimmage, plants himself and shuts the rusher out. All the other guys are skating backwards trying to hang onto their guys and he's just sewing a dude up and holding him there. He's gonna be amazing.

It's cool to see Luck playing again too. That's about all I have to say about the Colts, they're bad.

Yeah.

Luck is a good guy. Really is. Glad to see his arm (is somewhat) coming back.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Based on anything other than just making that up?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

nah. Vrabel said he shouldn't have let Marcus back into the game with the injury though.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Every AFC South team should suffer the consequences of benching a qb for Blaine Gabbert.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Shadow225 posted:

Luck was fine, not flawless. He had some issues with ball placement in 1-1 matchups, but he did a great job throwing to spots against zone.
Carlos Dunlap abused Haeg filling in for an injured Costonzo at LT. I don't know how Costonzo fares there, but it's likely a degree better. The interior of the line was fine.
Running backs weren't as bad as I thought. Wilkins surprised me, and Hines was a few thigh grabs away from busting some huge plays.
WR and TE did a better job than anticipated outside of getting separation in man coverage. Only TY seems to do that, but Luck didn't do him many favors there.
Margus Hunt had a few plays that almost made me forget cutting Simon. I think we are a worse team for cutting Hankins and Simon, to be clear.
Eberflaus wants to scheme around shifty D linemen stunting to get penetration. Sometimes it works, but he doesn't seem to believe in gap responsibility, so he will stunt a DE inside and have no one playing force on that outside gap, which allowed Mixon to run wild.
Darius Leonard is the truth. He is every bit as athletic as he was billed.
Some of the play calling does worry me. The difference between top tier and mid tier offensive play calling is giving a divergent option if the primary look for the play is covered. Reich seems to call a lot of plays with only one or two similar options. Drags with two layered drags and no other release valve, 1 or 2 WRs running single cut routes against man, etc.

I don't think that we are as bad as most anticipated. Doyle doesn't fumble there and we likely win. We have some promising players that need a little more experience like Nelson and Leonard. I'm not worried after that game, even though it stings to lose a winnable game.

This is pretty much where I'm at as well. Shame to lose on a freak fumble by such a normally-steady guy as Doyle (and an insanely athletic play by that Bengals defender, to be fair), but I'm optimistic about the team as a whole.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Blaine Gabbert is one of the worst starters in NFL history and he still scares me more than Marcus Mariota

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Mariota looked pretty good in the first half, was doing good dump-offs and should've gotten a touchdown early if his receiver hadn't dropped a beautiful pass. The Dolphins got to play dirty because the refs were rear end, Mariota gets injured, plays like poo poo, and, uh, also won the Titans their first playoff game in five million years, so... nah, I'm going with he's pretty darn good and that game was just the shittiest luck for all involved ever.

JT Jag posted:

Blaine Gabbert is one of the worst starters in NFL history and he still scares me more than Marcus Mariota

and yet y'all couldn't beat him last year

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

JT Jag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dud1tXbCZKU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Probably Magic posted:

and yet y'all couldn't beat him last year
This doesn't contradict what I said at all!

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Yeah, Gabbo beat the Jags too!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Gabbert has handed the Jags many losses in his career

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Intruder posted:

Gabbert has handed the Jags many losses in his career
Making the Jags lose is his only applicable career skill

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Mariota appears fine to play Sunday, so do not Fear the Gabbart.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Costonzo practicing in full. Between that and not playing against Carlos Dunlap, we should see much less pressure.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

Costonzo practicing in full. Between that and not playing against Carlos Dunlap, we should see much less pressure.

Apparently I'm the only one that thinks Andrew Luck has a chance against the Redskins. Yes, the Redskins are the better team but a team quarterbacked by Andrew Luck always has a chance against one with Alex Smith.

Although I have to mention that the Redskin D line is pretty drat good at getting pressure, and Alex Smith looked spry and sharp as hell against the Cardinals... I don't think the chance is good, but it's there if the defense can get a few stops and Luck manages to connect with Hilton on some deeper passes.

BTW Quenton Nelson is going to be a pro bowl guard, probably by the end of his first season and if not his second. I wouldn't even be surprised if he got all-pro within his first two years, he is really something.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Alex Smith is a good QB

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Play posted:

Apparently I'm the only one that thinks Andrew Luck has a chance against the Redskins. Yes, the Redskins are the better team but a team quarterbacked by Andrew Luck always has a chance against one with Alex Smith.

Although I have to mention that the Redskin D line is pretty drat good at getting pressure, and Alex Smith looked spry and sharp as hell against the Cardinals... I don't think the chance is good, but it's there if the defense can get a few stops and Luck manages to connect with Hilton on some deeper passes.

BTW Quenton Nelson is going to be a pro bowl guard, probably by the end of his first season and if not his second. I wouldn't even be surprised if he got all-pro within his first two years, he is really something.

I mean, I'm biased but I think that we can play with most teams.

Jay Gruden offenses seem to love working intermediate routes on the perimeters of the field. If they work things toward the middle we are in trouble, but otherwise the Tampa 2 should address that well if nothing else. The thing that scares me more than anything is Eberflaus stunting our ends out of contain. That's where Mixon abused us.

Offensively, I am optimistic about the interior of the line. The center and two guards are solid when healthy. Nelson looks like an All-Pro in the making. He will take a bit to adjust to some of the more advanced stunts, but I will go on record as saying we got the best deal out of the top 10 picks this draft. I am very fortunate that we didn't get Barkley, whom I thought looked mediocre outside of the busted run. Costonzo playing in position helps the left side out a lot (Haeg is a RT typically). I am concerned that Reich (or maybe it's Sriranni) calls too many plays with one or two options that force bad decisions. I need to examine the All 22 to really clamp down.

This is a very variable team. We could pick in the top half of the draft or be the AFCS playoff rep. Lots of variables, but I like where we are trending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Intruder posted:

Alex Smith is a good QB

Yep, and like I said he looked excellent against the Cardinals. Andrew Luck is good too though and has a history of uncorking some deep passes and running up the score, which is what he'll have to do if the Colts want to win.