Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pinterest Mom posted:

:shrug:

There's the Ontario PC Party, a legal entity of which Doug Ford is leader, and the PC caucus in the Ontario legislature, which commands a majority and can control which person commands the confidence of the legislature, and there's nothing in the rulebook that says that the leader of the first entity has to have the confidence of the second.

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pinterest Mom posted:

His electoral base is outside Toronto, and people outside Toronto might not think it's "For the People" for the premier to spend his time nursing petty grievances inside the city rather than governing the province.

Hahaha if you think they aren't also nursing petty grievances. Hell, his base has probably just conjured up being angry at Toronto all the time for no reason than because Ford is also mad.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

:shrug:

There's the Ontario PC Party, a legal entity of which Doug Ford is leader, and the PC caucus in the Ontario legislature, which commands a majority and can control which person commands the confidence of the legislature, and there's nothing in the rulebook that says that the leader of the first entity has to have the confidence of the second.

This only works when the provincial legislature flies a fringed version of the flag.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah I think it's pretty easy to underestimate the sheer number of people, even left-leaning people, in Ontario who are mad that their road is covered in potholes and the local industries are all gone, but Toronto is getting $X billion invested in their widgets industry because the local widgetmakers were sad that day. These same people don't react nicely when you try and tell them that the only reason their road in Podunk County doesn't have more potholes despite having a gross tax income of like $10 a year is because Toronto is a huge goddamn source of taxes that benefit them.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Argas posted:

Hahaha if you think they aren't also nursing petty grievances. Hell, his base has probably just conjured up being angry at Toronto all the time for no reason than because Ford is also mad.

Look I'm just reporting back what I heard from Real Ontarians when I visited farm country this summer.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

James Baud posted:

Hands Bernier a bit of a banner to wave, doesn't it?

I suspect it will change the tone of whole refugee/immigration debates significantly.

No longer just a boogyman or something that happens only in Europe, but literally the worst violence possible was done to the most vulnerable victim possible, on home soil.

You're going to be hearing a lot about this in the days to come.

gently caress. That poor kid.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I don't think this is the way to appease the voters who are annoyed that Toronto gets all the attention

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Welp.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Ardent Communist posted:

Scabs are always portrayed as being super sympathetic characters, but the fact is they are class traitors who are actively working against their class interest. By working during a strike, they allow the company to lengthen the strike, hurting working class families. They deserve no sympathy, and if their fear results in them quitting, all the better. In a better world it would be illegal to scab.

I mean gently caress this topic is so fraught because
A) Solidarity with working class proles , obviously, is good and cool
But also
B) What if the Scab in question is so close to eviction or starvation that a week or more of lost wages would ruin them and their dependents?

It's fuckin grim, is what I'm saying. Either way you get hosed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

madmatt112 posted:

I mean gently caress this topic is so fraught because
A) Solidarity with working class proles , obviously, is good and cool
But also
B) What if the Scab in question is so close to eviction or starvation that a week or more of lost wages would ruin them and their dependents?

It's fuckin grim, is what I'm saying. Either way you get hosed.

And the only way out of this, the only way, is through solidarity.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

madmatt112 posted:

expand welfare and EI eligibility instead of undercutting people who are lucky enough to have jobs?

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

And the only way out of this, the only way, is through solidarity.

I understand that is the ultimate solution, but goddamn if my empathy isn't trampled on because you absolutely shaft some number of people to get there. The Struggle is brutal and rends much to solve much, later on.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
seize the factory and turn it into a worker co-op that then hires the scab as a real worker

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

THC posted:

expand welfare and EI eligibility instead of undercutting people who are lucky enough to have jobs?

Fair point.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

vyelkin posted:

seize the factory and turn it into a worker co-op that then hires the scab as a real worker

*gets shot during the police action to stop the seizure of private property*

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Keep in mind when Doug Ford becomes Prime Minister he won't hesitate to use the Dissallowance power. He just enunciated that his governing philosophy is to use all the political tools at his disposal.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Can one of these be the thread title?

https://twitter.com/mariedanielles/status/1039217333955375105

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It kinda feels like we need an emoji of this

Luckily, conservatives are all about decorum and proper process, and will therefore side against their idiot king on a motion of no confidence, restoring sanity to this AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHA

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh my god I hate my province. Alberta needs to hurry up and have their election so we stop being Literally The Worst.

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
Extremely proud of MY PREMIER for sticking it to Toronto by acting like a two-bit dictator.

Make Ontario Great Again!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/ChesterScoville/status/1039220171553034240?s=19

:thunk:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
I think that's about how to invoke the Notwithstanding Clause the government needs to assert that it is overriding specifically enumerated Charter rights. Ford was provably advised not to say "This Bill does not violate anyone's rights".

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Furnaceface posted:

Oh my god I hate my province. Alberta needs to hurry up and have their election so we stop being Literally The Worst.

Don't worry, the imminent CAQ majority in Quebec has you covered.

I foresee their first move will be backing down on proportional electoral reform.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

You know I didn't think we'd constitutional crisis this early into the run but gently caress me.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

I didn't think Ontario would be dumb enough to elect an agnate Trump after laughing at the Americans for a year straight but here we are.

The existing order has no response to these politicians other then to tsk and claim they can't do something as they proceed to do the thing.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

As someone who's lived here their whole life, Ontario has a lot of dumb people (and people who think they're smarter than the really are) so it makes complete sense that they'd both laugh at Trump and then elect a Trump-lite.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

I didn't think Ontario would be dumb enough to elect an agnate Trump after laughing at the Americans for a year straight but here we are.

The existing order has no response to these politicians other then to tsk and claim they can't do something as they proceed to do the thing.

oh hey new word thanks!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

The trick is that only half of Canada has been laughing at the Americans for the last year, the other half has been reading news articles about Trump and nodding their heads and saying "right on brother keep owning those libs wish we had somebody like you in charge instead of that effeminate Trudope"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jan posted:

Don't worry, the imminent CAQ majority in Quebec has you covered.

I foresee their first move will be backing down on proportional electoral reform.

https://twitter.com/tvanouvelles/status/1039170207812608003

:)

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Arivia posted:

oh hey new word thanks!

Well we need a better vocabulary for this type of politician because Ford isn't Trump-lite, for one thing he was doing this shtick first and he's part of a global phenomenon attacking democratic institutions, in that regard it's naive to think he is any more restrained than Trump.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

Well we need a better vocabulary for this type of politician because Ford isn't Trump-lite, for one thing he was doing this shtick first and he's part of a global phenomenon attacking democratic institutions, in that regard it's naive to think he is any more restrained than Trump.

The modern political discourse term for that is "populist" which is quite handy because it doesn't specify a political orientation so it lets the radical centrists tar the right-wing "murder all nonwhites" populists with the same brush as the left-wing "eat the rich" populists.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

The trick is that only half of Canada has been laughing at the Americans for the last year, the other half has been reading news articles about Trump and nodding their heads and saying "right on brother keep owning those libs wish we had somebody like you in charge instead of that effeminate Trudope"

And if anyone had paid attention to the Toronto municipal elections in 2010 and 2014 this would have been patently obvious.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

Yeah agnate there makes a lot of sense. Cool!

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

Fascist doesn't work?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I thought they were called "conservatives"

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I suggest we stick with Stan Rogers CanCon for the next few thread titles. "The Idiot" seems like an obvious choice.

Also:
"Lies"
"Working Joe"
"You Can't Stay Here"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
CanPol Megathread: This shitpost shall operate notwithstanding the forum rules

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

vyelkin posted:

CanPol Megathread: This shitpost shall operate notwithstanding the forum rules

Perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

infernal machines posted:

And if anyone had paid attention to the Toronto municipal elections in 2010 and 2014 this would have been patently obvious.

Almost like people ignored us and laughed???