Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I liked them when I was a teenager but I have a hard time imagining I'd enjoy revisiting them. I feel like I have (some) better things to read now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Doorknob Slobber posted:

solo is probably the best stard wars because it almost entirely leaves out the jedi garbage

Solo is for Star Wars fans that don't enjoy any of the previous Star Wars movies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

sassassin posted:

Solo is for Star Wars fans that don't enjoy any of the previous Star Wars movies.

And also for Star Wars fans who did enjoy all the previous Star Wars movies

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I enjoy the Star Wars.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jivjov posted:

And also for Star Wars fans who did enjoy all the previous Star Wars movies

But the previous Star Wars movies were all about "jedi garbage".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

sassassin posted:

But the previous Star Wars movies were all about "jedi garbage".

It's possible to enjoy Star Wars stories about Jedi and ALSO enjoy Star Wars stories not about Jedi.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I haven't enjoyed solo cuz i haven't been bothered to see it yet

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fridge corn posted:

I haven't enjoyed solo cuz i haven't been bothered to see it yet

You're in luck, it hits digital release in just a few days, and physical home media in a couple weeks

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Luke and Owen buying 3PO and R2 from the Jawas was the first thing they shot.

The 3PO costume was a nightmare to get in to and cut Daniels up pretty badly, the first day of filming was the only time he ever wore the suit for a whole day.

"Red," the droid that was supposed to malfunction and blow up, was radio controlled. The controls were in the head. The head was supposed to explode. The exploding head had been built as a separate prop. So the droid could not be filmed moving and exploding at the same time, as it was supposed to. They ended up repainting a fiberglass R2D2 prop body, putting the exploding head on that, and pulling it all along with a piano wire so it could move while exploding, lol.

They also filmed the scene where Luke and 3PO scan the horizon for any sign of the runaway R2. They were supposed to film the twin sunset scene that first day as well, but the weather didn't cooperate.

This is rad, thanks for replying/finding

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I care about star wars garbage, or Canon as some people call it

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The EU ended at The Unifying Force

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Don't know about the legs, but there's a novel which explains that Jabba the Hutt bought Darth Maul's penis to add to his collection.

Disney won't go with this storyline only because they can't sell Darth Maul dildos to kids.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

jivjov posted:

It made back its budget; we'll see what it makes on home media.

This is false. Disney lost between $50 - $80 million with SOLO. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/solo-will-post-first-loss-disneys-star-wars-empire-1116927

But that doesn't mean your ability to seamlessly blend willful ignorance and mental retardation won't keep us forever entertained, jivjov.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
it had the best parts of space movies shooty fast spaceships and shooty laser guns without any of the midochlondrials

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Slutitution posted:

This is false. Disney lost between $50 - $80 million with SOLO. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/solo-will-post-first-loss-disneys-star-wars-empire-1116927

But that doesn't mean your ability to seamlessly blend willful ignorance and mental retardation won't keep us forever entertained, jivjov.

$275 million budget, ~$393 million worldwide gross.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't trust anyone who didn't enjoy anything about Solo: A Star War Tale

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

At least in star wars 8 a guy got thrown in a wood chipper. The only interesting thing I can think of about star wars solo is how it came about that a hollywood film made by professionals was lit so badly

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Uh, excuse me but cthulhu got ripped apart by a black hole.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Oh, is that what happened when the light gray smear became a dark gray smear

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My dude, it sounds like you need a pair of prescription spectacles!

Or you're suffering from hibernation sickness. Your eyesight will return in time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That or you saw the film on a badly calibrated projector.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

My dude, it sounds like you need a pair of prescription spectacles!

I don't rely on my eyes when I watch movies, for my ally is the Force. And a powerful ally it is.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

+marketing costs, however much that was

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The linked article was basing their 50-80m loss off an expected worldwide figure of around 400m dollars so for what its worth no one has contradicted anyone there.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You're going to find that many of the box office numbers we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. 

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

jivjov posted:

Lol u dumbass

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Lol u dumbass

What? Those were the returns [insert unnecessary semicolon here] you can check for yourself online [missing period]

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Solo is an astonishingly poorly made film.

Why are you talking about the box office.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

People are apparently fatshaming Darth Maul on-line now

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Ingmar terdman posted:

The man dropped half his body weight and he still doesn't confirm to society's unrealistic beauty standards.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

No Mods No Masters posted:

Oh, is that what happened when the light gray smear became a dark gray smear

The entire thing has such a weird rear end lighting and calibration, I cannot understand why they made it so purposefully ugly except to show how *~*dark*~* the film was thematically

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Flying Zamboni posted:

The man dropped half his body weight and he still doesn't confirm to society's unrealistic beauty standards.

It's hard to get cardio without legs

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

It's hard to get cardio without legs

Is lie!!!! Rowing machine!!!!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

I don't trust anyone who didn't enjoy anything about Solo: A Star War Tale

I liked the whole concept of what's going on on Mud Planet. That part came together pretty well, I think.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think all the people who saw Solo post in this thread.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I haven't seen it.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

All people who saw solo are in this thread, but not all people in this thread saw solo.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ingmar terdman posted:

Ray Park is in incredibly great shape so these people who are fat shaming Maul must each be the pinnacle of human physique.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

AndyElusive posted:

Ray Park is in incredibly great shape so these people who are fat shaming Maul must each be the pinnacle of human physique.

Ray Park is 53 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

sassassin posted:

Ray Park is 53 years old.

He looked it in Solo, too. I thought for a second they got Peter Stormaire to put on the makeup.