Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

lobster22221 posted:

Yeah, there are ways to make that happen less, but hopefully they change that too. And carrying it some of the time is better than carrying it all the time.

how about a game where you just don't have to carry it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

The White Dragon posted:

That would be optimal.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I dunno, you'd still need to have the bubble centered on one player, so someone will still have the role of affecting how the bubble will move and all the chaos that entails, and they can't really remove the miasma-filled world considering that's the whole point of the game. Though I guess they could just retcon dungeons to just be inside bubbles.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I feel like it would be really hard to get rid of the bucket because the lore centers around it from protecting you from a dark force, similar to the environment in Metroid Prime 2 and the Dark World. That said, most of their remasters gives a decent amount of quality of life improvements that make the original game more playable so I'm assuming they will do something here as well.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
otoh this is the final fantasy thread, and to get square enix's idea of what kind of changes they put into a remaster, you just need to look at ff6-pc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Isn't it exactly the same outside of the bad art?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah that's my point, ignoring the graphical changes they didn't really touch the mechanics

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ohtsam posted:

Part of the reason the moogle wasn't in multiplayer was the gba didn't have enough buttons to spare for the controls to call the moogle. Hopefully they add in moogle support for at least 2 player mode.

The art style has aged really well.

Hopefully it has good controls too because, iirc, the controls for the game were pretty god awful in general.

The White Dragon posted:

They could add this new invention, called a harness, that lets people carry items without using their hands.

Or yeah just get rid of the carry mechanic because it always seemed annoying even if it did have story reasons.

Allarion posted:

I dunno, you'd still need to have the bubble centered on one player, so someone will still have the role of affecting how the bubble will move and all the chaos that entails, and they can't really remove the miasma-filled world considering that's the whole point of the game. Though I guess they could just retcon dungeons to just be inside bubbles.

Bubble is focused on the host. There. Done.

e: Or the host can designate someone to have the bubble focus when in town if you want to get fancy.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Allarion posted:

Like being able to attack while being the one designated as bucket holder is probably a good qol change, I'm just saying there are situations where that can be dicey... such as a boss deciding to vacuum you in and now the bubble is centered into the danger zone, while the safe areas are covered by miasma. Though tbf, that was still partially an issue even when the bucket was separate from the player.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

They're not going to do anything to it because it's clearly an intentional decision on their part to force players to strategize around having to carry around their own safe zone. You could put it down for a four-person assault during bosses, but then the boss could knock you all out of it for some big damage.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Have player holding bucket able to attack. Yes itll break the difficulty but really thats worth it and way easier than redesigning the whole game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
but miasma doesn't even do tick damage that quickly, like if a boss knocks you out of position you can easily out heal it and the only danger is if you had 1hp left to begin with. in fact, there are a bunch of places where you have to leave the bubble to solve a pressure plate puzzle or whatever, and you'll take damage once, maybe twice, and only because the camera shifts to show you the door opening so you can't tell where you are to get back under the cover in time.

there's exactly one place where it's dangerous to be outside of the bubble and it's in the final area with the dark crystals that disable the chalice and drain your health at like 4x speed, which was a terrible design decision anyway because there's next to no way to tell what causes it, and it's the only screen in the entire game that any hazard even remotely like this exists. at any other time, it's just an annoyance that was implemented solely to prodive a "main anchor" for the camera in a 4p game on a 640x480 screen.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 11, 2018

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hopefully it has good controls too because, iirc, the controls for the game were pretty god awful in general.

I didn't play a ton of CC, but I recall it handling fine. What was awkward was timing a system in there, I want to say it was similar to FF XI's skillchains/magic bursts? People could combine their spells?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I didn't play a ton of CC, but I recall it handling fine. What was awkward was timing a system in there, I want to say it was similar to FF XI's skillchains/magic bursts? People could combine their spells?

The problem was that you could only perform one action at a time. If you wanted to do something else, you had to rotate to it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Have player holding bucket able to attack. Yes itll break the difficulty but really thats worth it and way easier than redesigning the whole game.

Or just don't play the bad game.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The White Dragon posted:

otoh this is the final fantasy thread, and to get square enix's idea of what kind of changes they put into a remaster, you just need to look at ff6-pc

Did they change FFX and X-2 at all? Besides the international content, which was old but never came to the rest of the world. I thought all that changed was the graphics/music.

And I doubt there's going to be many changes at all, let alone changing a core mechanic

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
FF^'s mobile remake changed Cyan's SwdTch to work the way it should have from the start: You select the ability and he charges up afterwards rather than making you build meter first. Is that worth dealing with the art design that looks worse than a kid messing around in RPG Maker? Not really because Cyan's still a mediocre character.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Cyan is cool, and honorable, and a very good friend to me and many others.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Crossposting:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3V5YXhWPO8

literally who

He seems to have an interesting gimmick going though, I'll give that to him, but it doesn't seem as interesting as Vayne's is to get me to add him to my rotation despite not knowing or caring who he is, unlike what happened with Vayne.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Seriously though who the gently caress is that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Hes from ff11

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kam'lanaut from FF11

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
He's a duke.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm pretty sure you keep bringing up Dissidia NT solely to gently caress with me specifically.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Of course his name is a pun on camelot

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Been playing through 6 again and in Cyan's dream, for the first time I went into his bedroom before fighting Wrexsoul and didn't realize there was a flashback of him having a hard time saying "I love you" to his wife. Holy poo poo.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

seiferguy posted:

Been playing through 6 again and in Cyan's dream, for the first time I went into his bedroom before fighting Wrexsoul and didn't realize there was a flashback of him having a hard time saying "I love you" to his wife. Holy poo poo.

Cyan is the sitcom dad we all deserve.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

seiferguy posted:

There’s also a cutscene of Cyan teaching his son how to fish. May be a third one too but I don’t remember.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
That very obscure scene should've come with a fishing minigame. You have to time a rising gauge like Cyan's swordtech to catch the fish. C'mon Japan, do I have to think of everything?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

As if Cyan didn’t pull out his katana and Quadra Slam those drat fish.

Also all those fish got poisoned to death, r.i.p. Doma Fish.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I will also mourn the Doma fish, the forgotten victims, on this 9/11.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is Cyan the salaryman who only married his wife and fathered a kid because Japanese Doma culture told him to? Does he schmooze it up with his superiors in the Doma red light district after working 18 hour shifts at his samurai job?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gologle posted:

Is Cyan the salaryman who only married his wife and fathered a kid because Japanese Doma culture told him to? Does he schmooze it up with his superiors in the Doma red light district after working 18 hour shifts at his samurai job?

Guy has a meltdown after merely talking with a prostitute, what do you think

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Alxprit posted:

Cyan is the sitcom dad we all deserve.

You just know Cyan is always hassling Edgar for help when he doesn’t understand some newfangled machinery.

“Edgar, thou must help me with thine profound mechanical knowledge! I cannot get this infernal time-telling device to work!”

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 11, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

corn in the bible posted:

The best Final Fantasy is actually Chrono Cross

Amppelix posted:

Don't let the most momentous news of the year pass you by: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (the first one) is getting remastered for ps4 and switch
https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1039106212145586176
I can't believe how long this took to happen but also yesss this game owns and now it has online

Best news, this one should have been number 11 instead of the MMO

Ventana posted:

Did they change FFX and X-2 at all? Besides the international content, which was old but never came to the rest of the world. I thought all that changed was the graphics/music.

And I doubt there's going to be many changes at all, let alone changing a core mechanic

Only change X needs is an option to skip the first Blitzball game, cause Blitzball sucks

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

drrockso20 posted:

Only change X needs is an option to skip the first Blitzball game, cause Blitzball sucks

Well, an option to skip cutscenes would be great too

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also replacing Kihmari with a piece of driftwood to make the cast more exciting.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Elephant Ambush posted:

We're talking about Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles though.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Elephant Ambush posted:

Its flawed, and the core gameplay is simple, but I don't think its bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Elephant Ambush posted:

You're in the wrong thread if you don't want to play bad games OP