Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

they're not bad, but they're really not a replacement. the talent of the vas becomes clear when you have the same gags just kind of languidly sitting on the page. i don't know if it's the original prose or the english translation, but the whole thing is very workmanlike and there doesn't seem like much attention was paid to comedic timing.

i still read them because there's usually a couple of chuckles to be had and I was invested in the characters from the anime, but i wouldn't necessarily recommend them

I have no idea what the poster above me is talking about, I have seriously enjoyed the LNs. I have cracked up reading the things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Might be the translation. I don't find the comedic timing to be off in the lns.
Edit: Though I agree with the poster below that the scenes they skipped did little for me. I just assumed that was the reason they skipped them.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 7, 2018

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Meme Emulator posted:

The novels are honestly pretty boring, Im slogging through 1-4 right now and everything that made Konosuba fun is in the animation and the voice work. Maybe its just because Im rereading stuff ive already watched though, Im gonna give Vol 5 an honest shot.

Honestly, same. I’ve started reading through them, but the highlights from volumes 1 and 2 so far have been scenes that remind me how the anime did it. The scenes that never made it into the anime, like the party swap and the initial encounter with Wiz, don’t really do anything for me.

I’m legit contemplating just stopping reading the LNs when I catch up to where the anime left off, so that I can be surprised (and entertained) by whatever awful garbage the party gets into in the movie and/or season 3.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, I just started the LNs myself, and found them a bit lacking. Along with it just possibly being a translation issue, I think it could also be due to no visual gags. The anime always has little jokes going on in the background.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, I just started the LNs myself, and found them a bit lacking. Along with it just possibly being a translation issue, I think it could also be due to no visual gags. The anime always has little jokes going on in the background.

Yea, watching Aqua summon a bunch of koi fish at the garden in Darknesses house is a lot funnier than a little one off line going something like "I was walking by and saw Aqua playing in the garden - Eh?! How did she summon that many fish?"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What sells that scene is that Kazuma would probably file it under the "Useless Party Tricks" things Aqua does, but in just that moment actually seeing it, he goes "What the hell? That's so cool! I'll force her to teach me that later". Jun Fukushima's voice is choice for those little moments. :3:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

IShallRiseAgain posted:

My take is that unfortunately, the material covered in the anime is actually some of the weakest stuff overall. Volume 5 is when the series really starts to feel itself.

The first volume after the anime ended has them going to Megumin's chuuni village, and the whole thing is a rolling comedy ball. The volume after that introduces Iris, who always brings out the worst best in Kazuma. From then on, there isn't a dull moment.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The biggest thing is that there's no 'Kazuma Kazuma!' 'yes i'm kazuma' jokes in the LN's. That's anime only due to being an improvisation of the VA's.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 8, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

The biggest thing is that there's no 'Kazuma Kazuma!' 'yes i'm kazuma' jokes in the LN's. That's anime only due to being an improve of the VA's.

I think one of those was thrown in very recently

also the party swap owns and you guys are nuts

e: the manga has the party swap/wiz intro and is pretty entertaining, maybe konosuba just translates insanely well into visual mediums

or maybe the vas are just so good that it retroactively ruins other mediums

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 8, 2018

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
When I read I imagine the VAs delivering their lines and it seems to work fine for me.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yinlock posted:

I think one of those was thrown in very recently

also the party swap owns and you guys are nuts

e: the manga has the party swap/wiz intro and is pretty entertaining, maybe konosuba just translates insanely well into visual mediums

It's definitely that last point.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I can't read the manga, because everyone looks normal and isn't suffering from Studio DEEN face, which was equally as charming as the voice work, imo

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Yinlock posted:

both aqua's presence and absence are enough to ruin anything

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Takoluka posted:

I can't read the manga, because everyone looks normal and isn't suffering from Studio DEEN face, which was equally as charming as the voice work, imo

E: while I do agree that everyone has normalface, it is countered with the extra gags like one of the mini-Vanirs jumping onto Aqua like a Saibaman and the next scene is Aqua doing the Yamcha death pose.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 8, 2018

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

E: while I do agree that everyone has normalface, it is countered with the extra gags like one of the mini-Vanirs jumping onto Aqua like a Saibaman and the next scene is Aqua doing the Yamcha death pose.

I like that scene also.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Takoluka posted:

I like how in s2 the animation went into insanely high quality for brief moments, mostly to set up immediate failure afterward

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Last week I started watching KonoSuba over again and I just finished it today, even the second time around it is still funny enough to make me laugh at these idiots.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Watching episode 1 and what the gently caress is this camera shot when she's telling the guy about Heaven.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Yinlock posted:

I like how in s2 the animation went into insanely high quality for brief moments, mostly to set up immediate failure afterward

A great example of using art to convey character. :v:

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Konosuba has quite a bit of fan service in it, it was a bit off putting at first but in the end it kinda works for it. The characters are generally sleazy shitheads so after a bit it just blends into another part of their terrible traits.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This Kyouya guy doesn't seem so bad.

TGG posted:

Konosuba has quite a bit of fan service in it, it was a bit off putting at first but in the end it kinda works for it. The characters are generally sleazy shitheads so after a bit it just blends into another part of their terrible traits.

Ya don't say. If it wasn't explicitly pointed out, I would have thought everyone went commando in this series.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

This Kyouya guy doesn't seem so bad.

Monster.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Pollyanna posted:

Ya don't say. If it wasn't explicitly pointed out, I would have thought everyone went commando in this series.

Even if that were the case, no one else has a semi-translucent skirt.

And no one seems to care about that either, which is weird.

But then again, Aqua is that terrible and Kazuma is known for panty shenanigans.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I think it's more that no one actually sexualizes Aqua at all so the fact she doesn't wear underwear is completely unnoticed by everyone.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Forgive me for assuming otherwise cause this show is fuckin horny on main :pwn:

Funny though.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ah, I see you got to the point where Megumin admired her staff.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Agronox posted:

Ah, I see you got to the point where Megumin admired her staff.

It has gotten so much worse since then

YOOOOO okay this is getting a bit too awful. What the hell, Kazuma?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

It's usually funny enough to not be too much, except for Darkness. She is Too Much.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Darkness is at her best when she's Too Much.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

yeah, how could you not like (in spoilers for the new person) Darkness orgasming in front of the prince and then telling her dad that she's having Kazuma's kid?

that part was a riot for me since it was escalating and escalating and then that happened; I just died after

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

yeah, how could you not like (in spoilers for the new person) Darkness orgasming in front of the prince and then telling her dad that she's having Kazuma's kid?

That was the moment where I realized Darkness really is a terrible person like the rest of them and deserved to be in the group.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Headcanon: Aqua does wear underwear, she just uses magic to make it invisible so nobody can see it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ranzear posted:

Headcanon: Aqua does wear underwear, she just uses magic to make it invisible so nobody can see it.

Someone actually suggested this to the writer on twitter iirc, and they decided it may as well be canon.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mokinokaro posted:

Someone actually suggested this to the writer on twitter iirc, and they decided it may as well be canon.

Can't have a panty shot if no one can see them!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

It has gotten so much worse since then

YOOOOO okay this is getting a bit too awful. What the hell, Kazuma?

If it's putting you off consider skipping the succubus episode.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sirtommygunn posted:

If it's putting you off consider skipping the succubus episode.

That was the exact point where I decided I hated everyone in the show and wanted them to suffer.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Season 2 is so much better than Season 1, but that might just be because I love Darkness and she gets lots of moments to shine in it

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Pollyanna posted:

That was the exact point where I decided I hated everyone in the show and wanted them to suffer.

Kazuma was only living out his dreams

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Season 2 is much better than season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The thing that strikes me about KonoSuba's fanservice is that characters are only fanservice-y in design when they're having a sexy comedy moment. Darkness has an enormous chest, but that isn't visible in her regular outfit, which looks like fairly respectable armor. It's only when they put her in a ridiculous dress that she starts to have boob physics.

The characters get to hold on to a bit of dignity before they lose all their dignity.