Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

RCarr posted:

Play Battlefield 4 or Battlefield 1 if you want to play a good/fun Battlefield game again.

lol

games are fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
It’s weird how tribalistic people get about their favorite Battlefield. I love BF4 to death but BF1 is also fun (I hated it at first but it’s growing on me now that I’m giving it a second chance) and I like BFV a lot so far.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

I like that this repeatedly happens on accident because "take dude's gun" and "save dude's life" is the same button.
I'm a cheevo whore and there was this medic thing and it's like revive teammates on objectives... dude flops over, i'm all like STAY WITH ME beep beep zap stab, squeeze

and then we stared at each other as we briefly wondered how the christ we swapped guns.

got a couple sweet headshots with his sniper tho :toot: no it was not counted toward the cheevo :dice:

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

This beta didn't quite have the feel of B1, where after playing it a few days, I knew I was going to buy the full game. This one, though, I dunno. Weapons don't feel balanced enough yet, the two maps' control points aren't fun, and now with the addition of ammo and health boxes, Medics seem like an afterthought.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I'm glad they changed how squad orders work so I can accidentally set the wrong objective a whole lot. Looking at the point and pressing the stick in BF1 made too much sense.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Noctone posted:

It’s weird how tribalistic people get about their favorite Battlefield. I love BF4 to death but BF1 is also fun (I hated it at first but it’s growing on me now that I’m giving it a second chance) and I like BFV a lot so far.

It’s weird how intense the differing opinions are too. I couldn’t stand 3 or 4 at all outside of the sound design. I could never get a feel for doing well in them either. With BF1 I can jump in after months of not playing and always do well. Every match ends up being incredibly fun.

I’m downloading the V beta now. Looking forward to that!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Venmoch posted:

If they keep adding "War Stories" to the game after release I really hope they include The Battle for Castle Itter because the whole battle is an amazing story to end on which includes a French Tennis star, running a gauntlet of SS machine gun fire. Plus it would also make the CHUD's super angry.

Regarding the Beta, is anyone else missing the ambient music? Battlefield 1 would have epic musical swells whenever you'd move onto a new sector in Operations and Grand Operations seems to have nothing. It seems like such a weird omission.

I was also disappointed to find that they've got rid of the native languages in the Briefings because that was something that Battlefield 1 did so well. To be honest, I found most of the sound fairly underwhelming apart from a few stand out moments such as a V1 flying in, or the sound that greets you when you stand at the plane door. I'm hoping its something they've done to keep the size of the beta down, but I guess I'll find out when the game launches.

I think I'll wait to hear more about the other weapons and class sub-types they've got planned because in its current state, the whole thing feels like it needs a little more time in the oven and more like a "rough around the edges" Battlefield 1 mod rather than a full blown commercial game.

i honestly kinda hope they keep adding single player stories but its EA so they won't.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I heard my army man say something about "going beyond the call of duty" and I cringed. Other than that and useless explosives, the game seems solid

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Turner SMLE is fun. It's not good, but it's fun.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

The menu system is impressive in terms of how bad it is relative to how much work was put into it

E: The scummiest thing in the world is hiding the "quit" button in the post-game menu by forcing you to mouse over the "continue" button to make it appear

I know in BF1 DICE tried to claim that adding a quit button was too technically challenging at release. Are they just going with mobile game retention techniques now?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Fart Car '97 posted:

The Turner SMLE is fun. It's not good, but it's fun.

In the universe where the StG isn't hilariously OP the Turner is actually a pretty decent gun.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Argh! I'm playing on PS4 and I can't spawn with any guns but the initial ones and the suomi, anything else and the spawn point isn't available. Is there any cure or is it just beta woes.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Ardent Communist posted:

Argh! I'm playing on PS4 and I can't spawn with any guns but the initial ones and the suomi, anything else and the spawn point isn't available. Is there any cure or is it just beta woes.

That's :dice: :downs:

One of the many bugs in the beta that neither affects everyone the same way nor occurs predictably.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Dinosaurs! posted:

I'm glad they changed how squad orders work so I can accidentally set the wrong objective a whole lot. Looking at the point and pressing the stick in BF1 made too much sense.

Uh, that still works in V though? Looking at the objective and pressing R1 issues a squad order for that objective.

Ardent Communist posted:

Did you try changing weapons in-game? I had the same thing happening. You have to exit and change your load out in the 'your company' screen and then when you join another game, you can spawn with your new weapon.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m downloading the V beta now. Looking forward to that!
You know it ends today right? :confuoot:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I was initially miffed yesterday, but since then the game showed me a few glimpses of potential greatness. I didn't play BF 1, but the gameplay vids make it appear even faster and more random than BF V, while I'm someone who enjoys a slower and more tactical game.

Crashing through a barricade of sandbags in a Tiger tank on the Rotterdam map and machine gunning everyone down while the rest of your team follows you into the cap zone, using your tank as cover, felt great though.

But there are too few of these moments. The opposing teams don't really fight over cap zones, there is no real offense/defense gameplay when playing the regular Conquest mode, instead people cap, then run off to the next cap zone, while giving up the previous point. This makes the whole purpose of building up and fortifying a point kinda useless. Grand Ops seems to have the right idea though, but it seems to be hit or miss, depending on your team's individual quality.

I really loved the idea of buildable fortifications and thought it would funnel players more towards each other, for longer and bigger fire fights, but instead the fortifications seem to hinder the defenders even more than the attackers, since they don't provide you with good firing positions. Sandbag bunkers with firing slits or trenches would be way more effective defenses, instead of these high sandbag walls which block your los. Same for the anti-tank guns, what's the point of towing them all over the map, when there are barely any targets for them?

And there's a plethora of bugs: try towing an anti-tank gun with the Kettenkrad....fun times.....

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I tried to play this but twice it decided I didn't get to respawn anymore so I quit.

Seems fun but Christ I get killed super fast, and it runs like poo poo on my admittedly old system.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

shut up blegum posted:

Uh, that still works in V though? Looking at the objective and pressing R1 issues a squad order for that objective.

Well I’ll be.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Man I don't know if I care for the flow of this

As a tanker this loving suuuuuucks

So hard to kill poo poo. Your poo poo gets pushed in by a panzerfaust like it's a loving panzerschreck. I get the idea of making you resupply at ammo depots but when every fucker can respawn with a tank vaporizer like it's free quarters day at the arcade your armor just becomes that much more aggravating to obtain and use considering they still have the bf1 style click spam system

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can all classes spawn with panzerfausts?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

So hard to kill poo poo. Your poo poo gets pushed in by a panzerfaust like it's a loving panzerschreck. I get the idea of making you resupply at ammo depots but when every fucker can respawn with a tank vaporizer like it's free quarters day at the arcade your armor just becomes that much more aggravating to obtain and use considering they still have the bf1 style click spam system

I've seen like 20 posts saying how weak and useless the panzerfausts are, and how anti tank weapons need a massive buff, so this makes me smile. Personally I think tanks shouldn't be a free 10+ kills whenever you get one.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

So hard to kill poo poo.

lol

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
I've had good fun with the tanks so far. Pretty easy to mow down infantry with the MGs. The main issue I've had so far is that no-one rebuilds the supply depots after the blow up.

The sturmtiger is hilarious. Super clumsy and easy to swarm, but that massive cannon makes it all worth it. Gives you multikills for days against infantry and will usually 2-3 shot tanks.

I will say though that it's much harder to be aggressive with tanks. You really need a full crew and some infantry support to push, so expect even more tankers to camp on hills.

lambskin fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 11, 2018

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Maybe this should signal the return of the goon amateur rocket club. AKA shooting volleys of rockets at tanks. That was the most fun I've ever had in BF4, raining RPG's on tanks and bird lords.

I mean who are we kidding, I doubt pubby teams on release day would be that coordinated.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It takes what? 5-6 Panzerfaust hits to kill a tank? If you let your tank end up somewhere that it can be hit by 6 panzerfausts before you can get to cover/support that's your own fault

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Okay I only got to play from tre hours of 3-7 and I was usually rolling with the default tanks which I assume were slightly better than a Sherman medium tank.

Those things got torn to shreds in two panzer shots
The heavy tank didn't seem to fair much better unless they were less heavy tank and more AT tank with non armor

Thing is when I went head to head with a tank it was your standard battlefield 5-6 volley

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 11, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Also someone explain the thread title cuz

What

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Also someone explain the thread title cuz

What

We were talking about Battlefield 1 (because this is the BF1 thread, not the BF V one, that's: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3857282) and a goon pointed that because of BF1's music.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Tanks should be strong, but penalised hard if they overextend. This is done in previous games by having areas where vehicles are king, and areas that are a bad idea to go. Or in modern combat with scary lock on rockets that scare tank drivers. Tanks should be able to kill 10 people in the wrong place in the wrong time. Tanks are already limited, not everyone can spawn in one. Further nerfs would just disolve then.
If tanks are useless power armour, then the game needs to give tanks good speed, so they can act has glorified apc.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Tanks don't feel to strong to me. Honestly, if only the thing different about this beta had been "panzerfaust is the rank 1 Assault gadget" I don't even think there would a conversation about tanks being too strong.

It's kind of like how in the Battlefront beta AT-STs were killing machines and the Rebels could barely win one match out of ten because they couldn't down the walkers. It wasn't because of any true imbalance, it was because nobody unlocked good AT options until after several rank ups, combined with general ignorance of the stationary AT weapons that quickly disseminated after release.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Was anyone else getting weird like really janked the gently caress out physics. People dying and their bodies hanging on an invisible monkey bar type poo poo

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Guillermus posted:

We were talking about Battlefield 1 (because this is the BF1 thread, not the BF V one, that's: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3857282) and a goon pointed that because of BF1's music.

i like this thread better

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Jedi Knight Luigi has been trolling me for years over DICE games and I'm glad he's here.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Jedi Knight Luigi has been trolling me for years over DICE games and I'm glad he's here.

:laffo: I'd say it's more so 70/30 "I actually do like the game"/trolling, though trolling has been gaining ground recently.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

:laffo: I'd say it's more so 70/30 "I actually do like the game"/trolling, though trolling has been gaining ground recently.

I like the games too. That's what so special about it!

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Chomp8645 posted:

Tanks don't feel to strong to me. Honestly, if only the thing different about this beta had been "panzerfaust is the rank 1 Assault gadget" I don't even think there would a conversation about tanks being too strong.

It's kind of like how in the Battlefront beta AT-STs were killing machines and the Rebels could barely win one match out of ten because they couldn't down the walkers. It wasn't because of any true imbalance, it was because nobody unlocked good AT options until after several rank ups, combined with general ignorance of the stationary AT weapons that quickly disseminated after release.

It kinda drives me nuts how much better battlefield/front games actually are vs how they present themselves

this is my weird way of grousing like an old man about dice's weird "let the players discover the true secrets of balance for themselves once the game is practically dead and the next one is out"

gaaaaah I hate my PS4's turbine jet engine

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Guillermus posted:

This is the actual, active BFV thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868101&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

mellowjournalism posted:

It kinda drives me nuts how much better battlefield/front games actually are vs how they present themselves

this is my weird way of grousing like an old man about dice's weird "let the players discover the true secrets of balance for themselves once the game is practically dead and the next one is out"

gaaaaah I hate my PS4's turbine jet engine

I will consult the auguries. If the spirits judge me worthy, they reveal to me the secrets of "balance".

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Alan Smithee posted:

Was anyone else getting weird like really janked the gently caress out physics. People dying and their bodies hanging on an invisible monkey bar type poo poo

One of the new things is server side ragdolls, they are buggy in this version.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

lambskin posted:

I've had good fun with the tanks so far. Pretty easy to mow down infantry with the MGs. The main issue I've had so far is that no-one rebuilds the supply depots after the blow up.

The supply depots were bugged ( surprisingly ) and you couldn't rebuild them. I spent way too much time during the beta fortifying bases and think I was able to build a depot twice. And the other time the depot wasn't even destroyed, just repairable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Brilliant marketing move to release the bf v open beta and tell people they get 10 percent off from preordering from bf1 then putting bf1 on sale for 5 bucks and throwing in the season pass for free to really drive the point home.
Guess I'm playing bf1 till v comes out okay i get it dice you win