Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

The first ep is hella dry and is mostly just M telling the proganist what to do, its boring as hekk!!

I guess in hindsight it works as an in media res intro to the action but i dunno.

I said the first ep was bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

El Burbo posted:

I just hope the most obnoxious loud voices of the English community don’t spend the whole year complaining about it
There are like 3 (if we're feeling charitable enough, maybe 5) anime YouTubers/Patreon-dependents and like 2 Reddit communities that you can put on ignore and be done with it. This isn't hard, Bubba. :)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

There are like 3 (if we're feeling charitable enough, maybe 5) anime YouTubers/Patreon-dependents and like 2 Reddit communities that you can put on ignore and be done with it. This isn't hard, Bubba. :)

...that's not how it works Wark Say. It'll spread throughout the whole online anime community. And there will be arguments and slap fights everywhere.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
There doesn't have to be

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
let's start here

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Wark Say posted:

WHo are they

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

El Burbo posted:

I just hope the most obnoxious loud voices of the English community don’t spend the whole year complaining about it

Ill do my best

DisDisDis posted:

WHo are they

Me and the zorkcast are two.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This season's happy, light show about cute mountain climbers sure does have more quiet, creeping, agonizing tension than I was entirely prepared for lately.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

digibro, gigguk, and that cr shill guy geoff

also probably the guy who tried doing those different anime scams with gigguk

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

idk why everyones looking to other places for obnoxiousness when adtrw very well managed to make its own thread torture to read

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Julias posted:

...that's not how it works Wark Say. It'll spread throughout the whole online anime community. And there will be arguments and slap fights everywhere.

So in other words the exact same status quo that comes with every anime.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Julias posted:

I follow a lot of video makers/bloggers and don't see any of that tbh.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I watched the first episode of SAO and it seemed like pure wish fulfillment about a guy whose really good video games so he becomes the best person when everyone gets locked in a video game. Does it actually get good? Should I have given it more of a chance?

Short answer: Yes it gets good briefly, and no you don't need to give it more of a chance.

Long answer: I just re-watched the first 14 episodes of SAO a few weeks ago, having not watched it since it first aired. I remember thinking the first 14 episodes were pretty good (quote me, something like: "if it were just the first 14 episodes, it could have been one of the top shows I've ever seen"), followed by garbage, thus averaging to an above-average show, and I moved on. So I kept getting stunned year after year seeing the show gain so much traction and popularity and counter-praise/hate. So I was looking to see if my views on it had changed, to see how fair the common defenses and criticisms were, and if I fell on either side of the debate or approached it more moderately.

In conclusion: the first 13 episodes are actually pretty good, but the 14th episode is unfortunately more garbage than I remembered, and I won't speak for the garbageness that comes afterwards. This is why yes, the show does get good, as following Asuna's character development and seeing the dungeon set pieces is quite enjoyable. And this is also why no, if you're already checked out by the 1st episode then you don't need to give the show more of a chance.

It's not pure wish fulfillment, as there is at least some depth to Kirito's character, a lot more than the hater sounding board of "lol OP" constantly hawks. But it's not like the best written thing ever, and the show isn't clear that it's actually about the stages of grief and crisis management.

However, credit given where due: the show benefits greatly from not having a narrator, since chances at mind-numbing unclever exposition are cut down (only appearing like twice). Instead things are presenting more often than not in a refreshing way, where scenes, timestamps, and loaded single sentences are given to you and you fill in the rest with your imagination and your personal experiences to make those parts of the story as relevant as you want it to be. It's similar to listening to jazz, where you hear the notes being played but think about the implication of the notes not being played as well, and of there are some divisive opinions on jazz as well. As such a lot of the most venomous criticisms of the show are pretty unfair IMHO, again only for episodes 1-13.

So for example: Kirito actually does have interesting personality flaws, and the show will present his viewpoint, but it's left up to the viewer to understand that the narration is biased. And Kirito's overpoweredness comes at the cost of grinding the most utterly boring MMO grind ever every day for 2 years, mixed with the risk of the death game premise, but this isn't shown explicitly on screen for obvious reasons. This is why some viewers interpret this as "pure wish fulfillment", while others like me (who have wasted more than enough time playing MMOs) interpret this as wishing to never be in Kirito's position ever because it sounds miserable but I'd do it almost the same as he did given those terrible circumstances.

Anyways, SAO also ushered in a whole era of isekai copycats, for better or worse, so if you are looking for more understanding of why all these garbage shows are coming out afterwards, and what they are trying to copy, you should probably just finish the first arc of the original and experience it for yourself.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, while I have my hangups with Kirito, one of the things I do like is that everything that Anaconda just described did leave a mark on the little dude and while obviously he doesn't get super bogged down by it, it's interesting to see that the few times the show dwells on it, it's clear that Kirito did not come out of Aincrad/SAO/the first 13 episodes completely unscathed.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Let the shonen protagonist who is without goofy wish fulfillment cast the first stone.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So long as people feel isolated, unfulfilled, and unvalued there will be isekai.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 11, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liver Disaster posted:

Let the shonen protagonist who is without goofy wish fulfillment cast the first stone.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

chumbler posted:

So long as people feel isolated, unfulfilled, and unvalued there will be isekai.

Yeah but they should all be about cooking

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

So you're saying your average anime watcher can play a sport? Come on.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Roll the tape!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwEUF5C2nXM

I love these dumb goofs. :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
haikyuu isn't wish fulfillment because it hasn't fulfilled my wish that the boys kissed

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

haikyuu isn't wish fulfillment because it hasn't fulfilled my wish that the boys kissed

Well it's not called haichuu.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chumbler posted:

You heard chumbler, the only way to stop the creation of more isekai light novels is to implement full communism now.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

You heard chumbler, the only way to stop the creation of more isekai light novels is to implement full communism now.

You have my axe

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://files.catbox.moe/tu36z4.webm
Spooky :ghost:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's weird that Sword Art Online created all of these video game themed webnovels/light novels when I don't think it even counts as isekai itself. The game world never actually becomes more real which is one of the goofier parts of the premise.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Didn't think we'd have any show challenge Yurucamp and A Place Further than the Universe for my favorite non kids shows of the year but Yama no Susume and Revue Starlight are doing it.

Actually the middle level shows I like are also really good too. been a real good year for anime this year (Also some real bad stuff but hey I don't watch those so)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

mycot posted:

It's weird that Sword Art Online created all of these video game themed webnovels/light novels when I don't think it even counts as isekai itself. The game world never actually becomes more real which is one of the goofier parts of the premise.

It's amazing how quickly .hack has been forgotten cause it did this before SAO

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

I said the first ep was bad!

im elaborating!!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Didn't think we'd have any show challenge Yurucamp and A Place Further than the Universe for my favorite non kids shows of the year but Yama no Susume and Revue Starlight are doing it.

Actually the middle level shows I like are also really good too. been a real good year for anime this year (Also some real bad stuff but hey I don't watch those so)
Asobi Asobase is punching/kneeing everyone else in the groin on the way to the top but yeah, it's been a rad year for anime!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm really astonished at how well this season of YamaSusu has paced itself. There's a lot of stuff in the lighter earlier eps that set up for the current drama without you really noticing until hindsight, the way it's built into the current arc has been really excellent.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's amazing how quickly .hack has been forgotten cause it did this before SAO

strangely, .hack would've been starting production in 2002, the same year kawahara started writing the SAO web novels.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Asobi Asobase is punching/kneeing everyone else in the groin on the way to the top but yeah, it's been a rad year for anime!

I enjoy Asobi but some of it's jokes are just a little too close to being too insulting for me to rate it as a top level show.

Now Lupin and Planet With, those are all top level shows too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

strangely, .hack would've been starting production in 2002, the same year kawahara started writing the SAO web novels.
they were both inspired by the matrix

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't the Avalon movie came out at around the same time that the Matrix did?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

mycot posted:

it's not weird, when you consider that it didn't create them

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Re Zero's OVA is due to air in theatres in about a month. If they put in a certain scene at the end I'm going to react harder than the announcement of Nier Automata.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Let's Positive Thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wark Say posted:

Didn't the Avalon movie came out at around the same time that the Matrix did?

avalon's good but I don't think it was ever popular, so it's probably safer to say matrix :v:

• Locked thread