Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I can also function for large periods of time with only a few hours of sleep a night but I'll throw in a day where I sleep for 15 hours so it kinda balances out.

As far as being aggressive, at one point I decided I was just going to go for double wrist locks from everywhere and see what I could get going. After a few weeks I had a bunch of new sweeps, subs, etc in my arsenal. Just try poo poo and ask your instructors for advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Tezcatlipoca posted:

As far as being aggressive, at one point I decided I was just going to go for double wrist locks from everywhere and see what I could get going. After a few weeks I had a bunch of new sweeps, subs, etc in my arsenal. Just try poo poo and ask your instructors for advice.

It's funny how that sometimes works.

"I'm going to work on my kimuras for a while!"
*Lands nothing but triangles for a month*

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Woke up a 830am all psyched to go to a 1030am training session at my gym. Read & translated the post my coach made about weekend training, only does it on Saturdays. It's Sunday here. :smith:

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Regarding aggression, I have the same problem especially when I haven't rolled in a while. I found remembering that your opponent is trying to kill you to be helpful. I also don't look people in the eyes when rolling because that causes me to be empathetic to their plight and not try as hard. Also getting a nice elbow to the jaw when they're in sidecontrol helps to remove any goodwill that may have existed before.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I just saw Danaher is coming out with a Kimura system as well. He's gotta be printing money off these videos.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Any other longtime wrestlers turned lovely white belts? I tend to gravitate towards passes, sweeps and such that are similar to what I already know. My professor recently started showing me hammer lock (what my wrestling coach called it, think Kimura grip) transitions from half guard and side and such. It clicks.

So anyway, my real question is if anyone could suggest more techniques that share similarities. Or at least good videos utilizing the hammerlock.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

JaySB posted:

I just saw Danaher is coming out with a Kimura system as well. He's gotta be printing money off these videos.

What is he going to even spend it on, though? Yuns said he lived very simply.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

knives

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What is he going to even spend it on, though? Yuns said he lived very simply.
Custom knives and hookers.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Let us know when he gets a dagger made of meteorite.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Yuns posted:

Custom knives and hookers.

He seems to know his way around the honey hole

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Such a weird guy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
two weeks ago: tennis elbow
last week: sister's wedding
this week: flu

:smith:

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I’m going back to BJJ after having six months off due to “being a raging alcoholic” which I no longer am. New (better) school as well. Feels weird as hell, I’m expecting to be exhausted within 20 minutes.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

quidditch it and quit it posted:

I’m going back to BJJ after having six months off due to “being a raging alcoholic” which I no longer am. New (better) school as well. Feels weird as hell, I’m expecting to be exhausted within 20 minutes.

Cardiac output training. Cardio qualities degrade quickly compared to strength.

Has anybody noticed significant changes to their game with weight changes? Juggernaut 2.0 and focusing on my diet has put 20 lbs of mostly muscle on this year. There's been a slight reduction in cardio but my passing is noticably harder to stop. Better top pressure, lots of brabos. On the other hand I'm a bit less agile off my feet, especially for inversions, and not quite as flexible. Over all it's fitting my current game a bit better (knee slices, cuts and Marcelo style heavy hip passing, lots of turtle, half guard, and wrestling up from the bottom) since my increasingly fragile body can't handle the Gumby man inversion game I used to play.

awkward_turtle fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 10, 2018

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

awkward_turtle posted:

Cardiac output training. Cardio qualities degrade quickly compared to strength.

I’ve been mountain biking a fair bit (and I’ve quit smoking), I hope that mitigates the worst of it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

How do you people find time...

When you have kids it becomes a little more difficult to find time but I manage to squeeze in the following:

MWF (Fri Open Mat) - 7am to 8:30am BJJ - More of an intermediate than a beginner class at this point. 9am to 4pm work 4:45pm My kids BJJ class
Tue - 11am to 1230pm Judo - My coach is a Rokudan and this is the only time during the week to really get a full Judo class
Thurs - 11am to 1230pm BJJ - I get the most rolls out of this class since its the one with the most people that I attend.

Work is pretty flexible and allows for me to go to class in the middle of the day if I like.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I’m going back to BJJ after having six months off due to “being a raging alcoholic” which I no longer am.

Can't expect you will last that long in BJJ when you have already told us you're a quitter

jk happy for you, welcome back into the game

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Can't expect you will last that long in BJJ when you have already told us you're a quitter

jk happy for you, welcome back into the game

Haha thanks man. I did do roughly five years with only a couple of weeks off at a time as well, I was probably a bit burned out as well as alcoholic.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Haha thanks man. I did do roughly five years with only a couple of weeks off at a time as well, I was probably a bit burned out as well as alcoholic.

Speaking from personal experience, once you figure things out, life is better without the booze. Good for you. Keep rollin' and postin'.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Pretty good breakdown about Tyron's d'arce choke of Till

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnHJbBvnEJw

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Wow that was hard. Literally didn’t try to escape two subs just so I could pull some air into my quivering wreck of a body. I have become a Bad Boy. I hope the cardio comes back quickly.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Pretty good breakdown about Tyron's d'arce choke of Till

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnHJbBvnEJw

That was good. Thanks for sharing :)

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Happy birthday Mr Kimura. I got 12 of you today, probably

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

two weeks ago: tennis elbow
last week: sister's wedding
this week: flu

:smith:

We've got a skin disease spreading through our bjj children's class right now.

yay, both my kids are on drugs.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

spb posted:

Happy birthday Mr Kimura. I got 12 of you today, probably

Speaking of kimuras, any recommendations for kimura system instructional videos? I saw Danaher is putting one together but I don't have that kind of money :smith:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

butros posted:

Speaking of kimuras, any recommendations for kimura system instructional videos? I saw Danaher is putting one together but I don't have that kind of money :smith:

David Avellan, Vagner Rocha

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Chris Brennan, too

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

JaySB posted:

Seconding Vagner's. I didn't watch the others recommended though.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Felt like Darren Till didn't even try to go flat to his back to defend that darce, but I know Woodley has monster arms and I'm sure that darce was loving tight.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whats the word on Alliance as a whole? Like what do they mostly focus on as a franchise? I know their name but not much else. Moving to a new city here in Korea and possibly could end up at one.

https://instagram.com/cwbjj?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=4mlr8kc980wn

They have a website but its all in Korean and my korean is limited as it is.

Edit - also a gym with a tv showing kpop music videos whipe rolling seems both awful and bad at the same time.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 11, 2018

butros
Aug 2, 2007

JaySB posted:

Odddzy posted:

Seconding Vagner's. I didn't watch the others recommended though.

Is there a reputable place online to get Vagner's in digital only (I don't have a DVD player)? BudoVids has DVD only as far as I can tell, and I only found one other site that purports to offer the digital but it looks sketch AF:

http://lumipublishing.clickfunnels.com/vagner-launch

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

butros posted:

Is there a reputable place online to get Vagner's in digital only (I don't have a DVD player)? BudoVids has DVD only as far as I can tell, and I only found one other site that purports to offer the digital but it looks sketch AF:

http://lumipublishing.clickfunnels.com/vagner-launch

My buddies that got his set bought it from there. I agree it looks jank as hell but it worked fine for me.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
Posting to let you guys know that I decided to work on going for triangles wherever possible, and while I never actually got the submission, it did succeed in making me take the initiative more often. So, thanks!! :)

Unrelated, but this kind of horrified me so I wanted to share: my friend just started going to an "urban combat" MMA gym, where they're teaching boxing/jiujitsu (along with gun combat?, and knife fighting??) . Except, every now and then, he's been asking me things like "so they tried a lion killer choke on me last class. It's been two days, should it still hurt to swallow?". :gonk:

stab stabby fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 11, 2018

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

stab stabby posted:

Posting to let you guys know that I decided to work on going for triangles wherever possible, and while I never actually got the submission, it did succeed in making me take the initiative more often. So, thanks!! :)

Unrelated, but this kind of horrified me so I wanted to share: my friend just started going to an "urban combat" MMA gym, where they're teaching boxing/jiujitsu (along with gun combat?, and knife fighting??) . Except, every now and then, he's been asking me things like "so they tried a lion killer choke on me last class. It's been two days, should it still hurt to swallow?". :gonk:

The Ryan Hall DVD on triangles will change your life.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Had a JJJ black belt drop into our gym recently to try out BJJ, and OH boy that was sure a treat.

Afterwards, Dude was like "This rolling stuff is pretty neat, but in a real fight I'd totally use too dangerous to use moves", and I thought to myself, I just saw you get triangled and arm-barred from guard, while you attempted to cross collar someone inside of guard. How can you believe you would do any better outside of rules ?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Had a JJJ black belt drop into our gym recently to try out BJJ, and OH boy that was sure a treat.

Afterwards, Dude was like "This rolling stuff is pretty neat, but in a real fight I'd totally use too dangerous to use moves", and I thought to myself, I just saw you get triangled and arm-barred from guard, while you attempted to cross collar someone inside of guard. How can you believe you would do any better outside of rules ?

I feel like this has been every experience for me with guys who profess to do "small circle" jiu jitsu

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

They made mine pretty deadly.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

Yeah. One of my favorite dvds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Odddzy posted:

My buddies that got his set bought it from there. I agree it looks jank as hell but it worked fine for me.

:respek: