Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

This is exactly why I waited to buy my own Switch. This is ridiculously cute.

This is going to be a nightmare to actually acquire, isn't it? :(

That's a lame snipe. Have some Gengars in eevee drag.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Sylveon-Gengar is loving incredible

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Dienes posted:

This is exactly why I waited to buy my own Switch. This is ridiculously cute.

This is going to be a nightmare to actually acquire, isn't it? :(

It doesn't look massively different from a regular Switch, unless there's some extra bits and bobs. Just the dock and the controllers. Cute tho :3:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Sylveon-Gengar is loving incredible

Make it real

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Takoluka posted:

that's every pokemon game though

:jerkbag:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

For real, Pokémon marketing is kinda dull, but then you play it and realize how much you wanted it.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ3kwK2slV4

HM moves that don't take up one of your four moves slots??? What a novel idea!!!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

dang this game looks fun

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

McDragon posted:

It doesn't look massively different from a regular Switch, unless there's some extra bits and bobs. Just the dock and the controllers. Cute tho :3:

don't forget all the rad embossed designs on the back of the console

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

dungeon cousin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ3kwK2slV4

HM moves that don't take up one of your four moves slots??? What a novel idea!!!

Tag yourself, I'm the Sizzly Slide.

Good to know that Vileplume still has the death stare.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Just pre-ordered my bundle from best buy

Which will promptly get taken by my gf and I get to use the old switch

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i think it's cool that eevee gets elemental moves to make up for the fact that it can't evolve

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

i think it's cool that eevee gets elemental moves to make up for the fact that it can't evolve

Huh, that might actually be enough to push me back over into getting the Eevee version as having a starter Pokemon with multiple different elemental moves sounds pretty useful.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i really hate the noise the Eevee makes so i couldnt ever pick it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Countblanc posted:

i really hate the noise the Eevee makes so i couldnt ever pick it

buibui

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
hey they brought back game corner, do that for the games i wanna buy gamefreak

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Kanto owns and I'm super excited for Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. I'm also completely fine with random wild pokemon encounters being shunted off to an upgraded version of the Pokemon Go catching minigame. Using joycon physics to throw pokeballs at an Abra that tries to teleport to fake me out sounds fun. It's not as if random wild battles were all that interesting from a gameplay standpoint anyways. Fighting trainer NPCs for exp was always way more fun and interesting than mindlessly mulching pidgeys over and over through a slow turn-based UI.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Siets posted:

Kanto owns and I'm super excited for Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. I'm also completely fine with random wild pokemon encounters being shunted off to an upgraded version of the Pokemon Go catching minigame. Using joycon physics to throw pokeballs at an Abra that tries to teleport to fake me out sounds fun. It's not as if random wild battles were all that interesting from a gameplay standpoint anyways. Fighting trainer NPCs for exp was always way more fun and interesting than mindlessly mulching pidgeys over and over through a slow turn-based UI.

this reads like the pokemon equivalent of those amazon twitter accounts that replied to people going "haha actually i love to work at the warehouse i get to use the bathroom :)"

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Just pre-ordered my bundle from best buy

Which will promptly get taken by my gf and I get to use the old switch

Pre-ordered mine as well, and my fiance is in the same boat, as he's getting the old switch.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They don't let you evolve your eevee

literally: how could this have possibly happened

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

my gf, who desperately wants let's go eevee, has absolutely 0 plans to ever evolve her eevee and wouldn't if she could. they know their target market.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

my gf, who desperately wants let's go eevee, has absolutely 0 plans to ever evolve her eevee and wouldn't if she could. they know their target market.

Weird how your gf has gone this long without learning about Sylveon.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

i think it's cool that eevee gets elemental moves to make up for the fact that it doesn't have moves

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Ariong posted:

Weird how your gf has gone this long without learning about Sylveon.

Her exposure to pokemon is entirely pokemon go heh

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

absolutely anything posted:

this reads like the pokemon equivalent of those amazon twitter accounts that replied to people going "haha actually i love to work at the warehouse i get to use the bathroom :)"

Pokemon should never ever evolve as a franchise and be forever relegated to 30 year old JRPG design schemes and mechanics, got it. :jerkbag:

Ignite Memories posted:

They don't let you evolve your eevee

literally: how could this have possibly happened

Did you... ever watch the anime!?!? :psyduck:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

are you ok

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

IcePhoenix posted:

are you ok

Dim Brain: Not responding to posts you disagree with
Bright Brain: Repectfully expressing your disagreement
Glowing Brain: Discrediting the opinion of the person you disagree with
Galaxy Brain: Whatever the gently caress that was

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Siets posted:

Pokemon should never ever evolve as a franchise and be forever relegated to 30 year old JRPG design schemes and mechanics, got it. :jerkbag:

Did you... ever watch the anime!?!? :psyduck:

Hmm yes... removing game mechanics and changing a core part of the game into a motion control minigame sounds like true evolution to me

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Evil Eagle posted:

Hmm yes... removing game mechanics and changing a core part of the game into a motion control minigame sounds like true evolution to me

yeah it's real hosed up that let's go is a mainline pokemon game and all further games will be exactly like it from now on. gamefreak came to my house and broke my leg for trying to load up a rom of pokemon silver last week instead of downloading an app

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Not the point, that guy is acting like this game is evolving the series when it's doing the exact opposite. Dumbing down the single player in Pokemon is the most nonsensical thing

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Eagle posted:

I will have a ton of fun catching mons by throwing a pretend pokeball with my 7 year old niece and eventually my daughter once she comes of age. It will amuse me when she shouts “pokeball GO!” as she throws it. Sorry that you are a joyless grognard I guess.

The dumb thing in all this is that you will likely still be able to get your JRPG grind on via trainer NPCs and the Vs Seeker. Nothing of value was lost in this design decision. Other than... you know... the cold sweat you experience while furiously mashing the B button to skip through the battle text before you inevitably enable Turbo speed on the emulator because you don’t hate yourself.

edit: Ok, yeah, if it was a direct rip of Go’s catching would suck. What I saw in the trailers for this game specifically has me excited though. Seeing Abra teleport to duck a throw is cool and gives the Pokemon a lot of flavor to me. Hoping they go that extra mile with lots of other mons too. It’s entirely possible they phone it in though. Nobody has played or seen the game yet to my knowledge other than that exclusive demo for the Japanese YouTuber family.

Siets fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 11, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

still confused as to why held items and abilities are suddenly too complicated for children and casuals

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Honestly, if this leads to the mainline games no longer being tutorial hell and actually getting to have a difficulty curve again, I will gladly accept Let's Go being dialed back a bit. It's going to suck if it means Pokemon's options are Easy and Easier, though.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Siets posted:

I will have a ton of fun catching mons by throwing a pretend pokeball with my 7 year old niece and eventually my daughter once she comes of age. It will amuse me when she shouts “pokeball GO!” as she throws it. Sorry that you are a joyless grognard I guess.

The dumb thing in all this is that you will likely still be able to get your JRPG grind on via trainer NPCs and the Vs Seeker. Nothing of value was lost in this design decision. Other than... you know... the cold sweat you experience while furiously mashing the B button to skip through the battle text before you inevitably enable Turbo speed on the emulator because you don’t hate yourself.

edit: Ok, yeah, if it was a direct rip of Go’s catching would suck. What I saw in the trailers for this game specifically has me excited though. Seeing Abra teleport to duck a throw is cool and gives the Pokemon a lot of flavor to me. Hoping they go that extra mile with lots of other mons too. It’s entirely possible they phone it in though. Nobody has played or seen the game yet to my knowledge other than that exclusive demo for the Japanese YouTuber family.

"haha, if i were really only allowed two minute breaks i wouldn't be working here. in fact the opposite is true, and i love the competitive wages :)"

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Brother Entropy posted:

still confused as to why held items and abilities are suddenly too complicated for children and casuals

Yea, held items at least have been around since Gen II when all the OG fans were dumb kids so I don't really understand the logic that kids won't understand them. They're usually worded simply enough like "Makes Water Gooder" so I don't get Nintendo's concern.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't really see why enjoying the changes to Let's Go means you have to demonize the way the mainline games have been doing it for decades.

The new way doesn't look particularly fun to me, but I mostly don't like it because there doesn't seem to be a way for people with disabilities to get around the throwing mechanic. This was a problem with Mario Odyssey as well, so it's pretty lovely if they really do force you to do a throwing motion.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

"haha, if i were really only allowed two minute breaks i wouldn't be working here. in fact the opposite is true, and i love the competitive wages :)"

are you just genuinely incapable of understanding the concept of playing with young children or is this just bog-standard :goonsay: at this point

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I know this is extremely late to the game but I'm glad Ultra Necrozma missed with his death star laser, allowing my last pokemon, Lurantis, to kill him with a crit leech life. Who knew a legendary pokemon would have smart strike AND Power Gem of all things, allowing him to kill literally my entire team with super effective hits before they could move.

Seriously though I love my Lurantis and I love that leech life went from a worthless 15 power time waster move to Actually Good. Now if they could just fix constrict that would be awesome.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Momomo posted:

I don't really see why enjoying the changes to Let's Go means you have to demonize the way the mainline games have been doing it for decades.

The new way doesn't look particularly fun to me, but I mostly don't like it because there doesn't seem to be a way for people with disabilities to get around the throwing mechanic. This was a problem with Mario Odyssey as well, so it's pretty lovely if they really do force you to do a throwing motion.

This is absolutely lovely. I’m always for disability access in anything. Luckily, I think there’s a catching mechanic mode change in Let’s Go where you have to time certain button presses rather than do the full throwing motion. I believe it activates when in the mobile console mode.

The reason I “demonize” the original random battles mechanic is because at some point you have to make sacrifices as a designer to shape things in new ways. For me, the dream Pokemon game has always been “take Zelda Breath of the Wild, reskin it with Pokemon, and incorporate both battling and motion sensing throwing mechanics to catch wild mons and duel other trainers.” I see this game as, at long last, baby steps in that direction in what has otherwise been a franchise that hasn’t really budged in decades. We’ve got mons that are finally visible in the overworld, and I get to throw a pretend pokeball ala Ash Ketchum, and I still get a full battle system to duel trainers and gym leaders with. I’m a happy camper for now and definitely looking forward to future titles.

Eagerly awaiting the next faux Amazon employee post I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
lol that Let's Go has broken people's brains badly enough that they're defending random encounters