Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

lol

can you make her smile/frown back and forth like Zap Brannigan and Fry did in the snusnu episode?

doctorfrog has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Sep 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Captain Lavender posted:

I liked Wind Waker, but I remember in the early 2000s I was worried that every game forever was going to be cel shaded.

It mostly went away, but after Persona 5, that new DBZ game and this, I'm pretty ok with any cel shading from here on out. The tech can do what it's intended for now, seems like.

Wind Waker has aged beautifully (those animations are still stunning) and Twilight Princess looks like poo poo.
It really was a brilliant way to show off the GameCube tech.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

JebanyPedal posted:

Wind Waker has aged beautifully (those animations are still stunning) and Twilight Princess looks like poo poo.
It really was a brilliant way to show off the GameCube tech.

I remember when they showed off an early WW prototype with "realistic graphics" and I was floored by how "great" it looked, and then being mad when they changed to Cel-shading. Luckily I wasn't too dumb and got WW anyway, which turned out great (ignoring the part with the map deciphering anyway).

Then when there was a VLP of the WW HD port they linked that trailer of the "realistic" prototype and drat those graphics were so bad!

Zanzibar Ham has a new favorite as of 06:17 on Sep 11, 2018

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Cartoony graphics always age better. That's one reason why World of Warcraft is still around despite looking like a PS2 game for the bulk of its life while MMOs with "better" graphics died in the gutter.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Screaming Idiot posted:

Cartoony graphics always age better. That's one reason why World of Warcraft is still around despite looking like a PS2 game for the bulk of its life while MMOs with "better" graphics died in the gutter.

Yeah, just compare most of the SNES library with the PS1.

Most everything of the SNES looks good and if it doesn't, it's still readable.
LOADS of PS1 games look like hot rear end but we loved it at the time because COOOOOL 3D!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Screaming Idiot posted:

Some "realistic" graphics age well, but it seems to require far-sighted art direction and tight control of what you're actually rendering. F.E.A.R. still looks quite nice as long as it sticks to its forte of interior spaces at night, where the dynamic shadows are doing most of the visual work. Try to render a large outdoor scene like the expansion packs did and yuck.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I remember when they showed off an early WW prototype with "realistic graphics" and I was floored by how "great" it looked, and then being mad when they changed to Cel-shading. Luckily I wasn't too dumb to get WW anyway, which turned out great (ignoring the part with the map deciphering anyway).

Then when there was a VLP of the WW HD port they linked that trailer of the "realistic" prototype and drat those graphics were so bad!

Was it that prerendered thing of Link fighting Ganondorf?
The insane amount of anger over Toon Link was ridiculous, I didn't care as much since in my opinion Link's Awakening and Link to the Past were already sort of cartoonish.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

JebanyPedal posted:

Was it that prerendered thing of Link fighting Ganondorf?
The insane amount of anger over Toon Link was ridiculous, I didn't care as much since in my opinion Link's Awakening and Link to the Past were already sort of cartoonish.

Yeah and it was like 15 seconds long. It's on YouTube and it looks like rear end.

Wind Waker still loving rules.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

StandardVC10 posted:

Some "realistic" graphics age well, but it seems to require far-sighted art direction and tight control of what you're actually rendering. F.E.A.R. still looks quite nice as long as it sticks to its forte of interior spaces at night, where the dynamic shadows are doing most of the visual work. Try to render a large outdoor scene like the expansion packs did and yuck.

Yeah, it's better to stick to your strengths. The uncanny valley isn't just for people -- the more "realistic" something is, the more obvious certain flaws become.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
My only anger regarding Wind Waker is that it is an incomplete game. There's one blatantly missing dungeon, and two mini-dungeons that were obviously not supposed to have been mini. It might've been my favorite Zelda had they actually been able to finish it.

Also while I agree that Wind Waker has aged better, I still think that Twilight Princess looks amazing. That warm lighting and heavy bloom that were so maddeningly prevalent in games of that era were never put to better use than in creating the sickly, alien atmosphere of the Twilight Realm.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Sep 11, 2018

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Rollersnake posted:

My only anger regarding Wind Waker is that it is an incomplete game. There's one blatantly missing dungeon, and two mini-dungeons that were obviously not supposed to have been mini. It might've been my favorite Zelda had they actually been able to finish it.

Also while I agree that Wind Waker has aged better, I still think that Twilight Princess looks amazing. That warm lighting and heavy bloom that were so maddeningly prevalent in games of that era were never put to better use than in creating the sickly, alien atmosphere of the Twilight Realm.

The best parts of Twilight Princess was wolf link, midna, and the yeti dungeon. Nearly everything else is hot garbo. That creepy shortcut cucoo thing with the weird head, malo the weirdo npc with the weird head, lots of strange and off-putting cutscenes... definitely one of the worst zeldas in my opinion.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That creepy goddamned baby merchant. I don't even understand

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The Twilight realm had some really cool art direction and I'm glad they didn't just do the same artstyle as Wind Waker. I like how the console Zelda games have all had different art styles ever since Ocarina of Time (except for Majora's Mask but that was originally an expansion), and while I have my issues with the series I think they all hold up really well due to a combination of using the hardware very well and a tight art direction.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Malo was great, you're nuts

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Queen Combat posted:

That creepy goddamned baby merchant. I don't even understand

Baby merchant, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPk966PuQNE

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Novum posted:

You're a psychopath

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Queen Combat posted:

You're a psychopath

Correct

Novum posted:

Incorrect.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Just started playing Blood Omen on emulator. It's pretty fun in a slow burn kind of way. I've dabbled in the series before, but the only one I actually beat was Legacy of Kain Defiance. I like the overarching story of the series so am hoping to go through all the games in release order to try to get the whole thing.

Soul Reaver 1&2 were supposed to be one game and it's so obvious that it hurts. I kinda wanna replay Soul Reaver because I have wonderful memories of it that I'm almost sure won't hold up. Also RIP Tony Jay.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Screaming Idiot posted:

I remember two fears I had: I mentioned cel shading, but before that, in the N64 age, was that they would never, ever make 2D games again. So I'm happy that both things happened: A) My fears weren't realized; and B) What I feared ended up also being great.

For a little thing I'm liking now, I'm playing Persona 5, and I think the voice acting is great. There's a part where you're being talked to by police, and he's asking about some of your friends. And he says "Never can have too many friends right?" And it's this perfect douche cop leading question type of tone, it great. There are examples all over the game of just great localization and great line reads. It's a game of highs and lows for me.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Rollersnake posted:

I don't think Twilight Princess looks that good at all, the obviously low res textures and extreme aliasing makes it look awful.
Wind Waker managed to circumvent those issues through its block coloring and cartoony textures which didn't use as much minute detail, the animations in TP also felt surprisingly choppy.

TP just looks like someone smeared vaseline all over your screen, the character models look somewhat decent but even back in the day I thought TP looked extremely muddy, it doesn't help that they went with such a muted color palette so everything looks really monotone and even more muddled.
The HD version helps with a lot of those problems, but it suffers from a lot of the issues up-ressed games tend to have, notably that the textures now just look super sharp and out of place, which makes the environments look more empty, especially because of how poorly aligned the textures are with the geometry a lot of the time.

Honestly I think the biggest issue with TP, besides a lot of the Twilight Realm enemies and locations which look great, the rest of the game's art design is extremely bland and lacking.
I agree that Wind Waker feels awfully unfinished in some parts, but I also feel that Twilight Princess was too loving long and became a total drag to play.

EDIT: I just watched the Spaceworld 2000 Link/Ganondorf battle and yes, it looks like loving crap.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
In visual arts you play into the strengths of the medium you're using. With computer graphics it's similar. You have a # of polygons you can render at 30/60 fps, different effects at your disposal etc.

Games that embraced the polycount and molded the game world accordingly look great because everything looks like it should.

Games that just tried to simulate reality with the same polycounts just look bad after a few years, because you can clearly tell where they aimed for a look but didn't have enough processing power to make it happen.

Devs should focus less on pushing the hardware to it's limits and more on embracing those limits.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Clearly people in the graphics industry have been overselling their role when if you want critical acclaim, having great sound gets you more bang for your dollar.

Nier 1 would have been an ugly b-game with a few diehard fans that pushed through to see the story, if it wasn't for the great soundtrack it had convincing people "hmm maybe there's a bit more here, I can enjoy the soundtrack while I keep on going".

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
On the other hand almost every big indie crossover success spent a ton of time and money on graphics because as much as people like to bloviate about prioritizing unique ideas over such base peasant ideas as aesthetics that poo poo sells. Famously, Jonathan Blow made the entirety of Braid with programmer art and then spent a decent six figgies comissioning an artist to paint all the game's graphics and licensing all the renaissance faire music in it instead of just letting the pure gameplay and writing carry it.

It's also why games like Hyper Light Drifter and Dust, which are artists branching out into games and making pretty but not particularly amazing games, tend to do much better than the inverse.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Agents are GO! posted:

Soul Reaver 1&2 were supposed to be one game and it's so obvious that it hurts. I kinda wanna replay Soul Reaver because I have wonderful memories of it that I'm almost sure won't hold up. Also RIP Tony Jay.

I replayed the original Soul Reaver a couple years ago and it is still a great, entirely too ambitious game. It's also surprisingly short when you're not an idiot teenager and know where to go. The one critical problem is that unless you still own a Dreamcast, the most definitive version you can still probably find nowadays is on PC, and it does not behave well with a gamepad without some joy2key or Controller Companion finagling.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I wish Soul Reaver had subtitles, it's totally my kind of game but I really want to get into that hosed up story

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Don Gato posted:

The Twilight realm had some really cool art direction and I'm glad they didn't just do the same artstyle as Wind Waker. I like how the console Zelda games have all had different art styles ever since Ocarina of Time (except for Majora's Mask but that was originally an expansion), and while I have my issues with the series I think they all hold up really well due to a combination of using the hardware very well and a tight art direction.

Something related that I've been loving ever since it was shown: Nearly every Zelda character in Smash Bros Ultimate is taking after a different Zelda game in their art design, so that one represented series has some great visual variety.

Link is all Breath of the Wild,
Zelda's design is from A Link to the Past,
Ganondorf's packing his Ocarina of Time design,
Young Link's back with his balance between Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (and with a Majora's Mask stage),
And Toon Link is representing Wind Waker.

The only odd one out is Sheik, but even she's not using an Ocarina design; she's wearing the Sheikah Set from Breath of the Wild, which borrows from both a little bit of the Hyrule Warriors Sheik design and the Brawl/Smash 4 designs intended to have Sheik's look be consistent with Twilight Princess designs. So Sheik's all over the shop.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

On the other hand almost every big indie crossover success spent a ton of time and money on graphics because as much as people like to bloviate about prioritizing unique ideas over such base peasant ideas as aesthetics that poo poo sells. Famously, Jonathan Blow made the entirety of Braid with programmer art and then spent a decent six figgies comissioning an artist to paint all the game's graphics and licensing all the renaissance faire music in it instead of just letting the pure gameplay and writing carry it.

It's also why games like Hyper Light Drifter and Dust, which are artists branching out into games and making pretty but not particularly amazing games, tend to do much better than the inverse.

Appeal and presentation are a big part of games but they're no fun if the gameplay isn't at least solid. I've played a lot of indie games that are beautiful but control or feel like garbage.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That post is ridiculous solely on the fact that Hyper Light Drifter gameplay is amazing

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The tweets in Spiderman are so good. One of my favorites are these three or four guys talking about lifting weights and Spider-Man chiming in to their delight. The best part are their screen names. Winners like Brosidon, Broseph and other suchs.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Samuringa posted:

That post is ridiculous solely on the fact that Hyper Light Drifter gameplay is amazing

Eh. I thought it was pretty generic and uninteresting beyond the art.

Dust, on the other hand, managed to completely turn me off with its art and general presentation, which I found totally off-putting.

I support anyone trying to make an indie game with a different style than "Cave Story ripoff" nowadays, though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
marvel's spider'man just oozes so much charm that i have a hard time pinning down any single favourite little thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

Einhander still looks pretty fantastic, and it's realistic to the extent that a game with sci-fi warmachines can be.

I wish they'd make a sequel to that game. :(

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Blind Sally posted:

marvel's spider'man just oozes so much charm that i have a hard time pinning down any single favourite little thing.

All the costumes could've just been palette swaps but instead each one has its own textures and individual details
Like the scarlet spider suit instead of being just a color swap with a hoodie on top has its own lines and textures different from any other costume

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Calaveron posted:

All the costumes could've just been palette swaps but instead each one has its own textures and individual details
Like the scarlet spider suit instead of being just a color swap with a hoodie on top has its own lines and textures different from any other costume

Yeah but the 2099 suit doesn't have a cape. :( Also no black symbiote costume because Insomniac are a bunch of criminals.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MrJacobs posted:

Yeah but the 2099 suit doesn't have a cape. :( Also no black symbiote costume because Insomniac are a bunch of criminals.

Gotta leave that for DLC.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Calaveron posted:

Also a good chunk of the suits don't have those adaptive lenses or whatever they're called so when you take a selfie you can't change his expression.

Big plus for me in the game is that every suit is acknowledged. Any time there's a loading screen, you're fast traveling, or in a cutscene the suit you're wearing is what they're showing you at the time. And that's impressive considering this game has 31 suits you can wear.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

MrJacobs posted:

Venom's probably showing up on the sequel

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So I finally got Yakuza 0 to play nice with my PC. BOY this poo poo is goofy.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I’ve spent the last two and a half months playing through 0, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2 and I still have no idea how they managed to have extremely serious and dramatic main plots and really goofy and funny side content and still have it all feel really cohesive and in-character in every game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got close to Nupraptor's Lair in Blood Omen , the place where the first of the 9 lurks.
I like that Kain has something to say about every town you arrive at. It's good world building. Like in a town where there are a bunch of brothels, he's like "The town permeated with the unique smell of it's inhabitants. Anywhere else my rotting countenance would be an unpleasant addition, here I just added to the stench..."