Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Kim's hair in that flashback scene was super well done. I liked that it had a fancier, more work put into it and younger vibe while also looking dope as hell, and in present day she's basically just throw it in a ponytail and go.

drat the snippets in the preview have me excited too, we seem to be moving forward in time quite a bit and this is a good point in the story to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Jimmy and Kim's relationship is a bit weird. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of affection, no hugs, hardly any kisses, no "love you's" or pet names, they had sex once I think. I enjoy their relationship and Kim owns, it's just a bit odd sometimes. Almost a bit robotic.

Anyway this show is amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love Jimmy and Kim so much and I'm so sad it is doomed.

It's been 4 seasons and I'm still freshly surprised everytime I remember that I really like Howard and want him to succeed (more), his "gently caress YOU, JIMMY!" and Jimmy's cheerful response were the highlight of a great episode right up until Jimmy scammed those no-good hooligan teens!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Alan_Shore posted:

Jimmy and Kim's relationship is a bit weird. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of affection, no hugs, hardly any kisses, no "love you's" or pet names, they had sex once I think. I enjoy their relationship and Kim owns, it's just a bit odd sometimes. Almost a bit robotic.

Anyway this show is amazing.

We don't need to see those moments to know that they're there because Bob Odenkirk and Rhea Seehorn absolutely crackle with chemistry.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
BCS has also given me a new appreciation for Saul's ability to work out solutions and have the connections to help Walt and Jesse in most situations, but not all of them. He can come up with schemes when they're in his wheelhouse and there isn't a huge "fix this or we're all screwed" problem, but he's lost the ability to quickly come up with stuff that's only slightly shady and not super Saul slimy. I'm thinking particularly of when they want to buy the car wash and his ideas to get Bogdan to sell are to threaten him mob style, get immigration on him, or label him a terrorist, but I feel like Jimmy would have hit on the EPA/chemical contamination idea right there in the room.

And I should have realized that of course Howard is paying the full partner's share out to Chuck's estate, and between that and his guilt HHM would be spiraling downward fast. I guess Chuck's craziness being outed during Jimmy's hearing and subsequent death did more damage to the firms reputation than I expected too, unless Hamlin has just been punting cases left and right, which is also a distinct possibility.

Kim bumping right over to that partnership was a smart move that I really wasn't expecting, it really is the perfect career move that just happens to unfortunately crush Jimmy's dreams, and unless Jimmy does something to really mess Kim up it certainly seems like she's finally got her work life in a good balance at last. I mean, partner at a law firm you're probably still working 70 hours a week easily, but she can probably scale that down to something more like 50-60 hours, offload work to the associates, and still take the time to do public defender work.

I'm so glad they made this show and didn't just stop at Breaking Bad, so many times they do a spin off or prequel to a show and it just fizzles (How ya doin' Joey?) but this has been a Frazier level spinoff success in my book, even if it isn't a ratings juggernaut.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 11, 2018

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I love that scene in the middle of the episode where Jimmy's on the phone and goes "Pinatas?! That will never... That could work, yeah" because I'm sure the exact same thing happened in the writer's room when the idea was pitched.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This show puts the scene where Walt tries to turn Mike against Gus and gets his teeth kicked in in a new light because from their history working together there was no way that was ever going to happen.

Mike hasnt killed anyone since the corrupt cops who killed his son right? I'm thinking events with Kai are going to end up that way.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Odds that Kai ends up in the foundation of the superlab?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Killing Kai seems almost too obvious.

Caesarian Sectarian fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 11, 2018

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it's too obvious for that to be his fate, I think.

Kai's offenses, so far:
- filled a glass of alcohol that they gave him
- took a swig during the meeting
- wants to gently caress a lady

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Kai put himself on Mike’s shitlist. People who get on there tend to end up proving that they deserve everything that’s coming to them. Jesse is the only one who made it off of there, and I guess we’ll have to wait and see how much loyalty lies beneath Kai’s disruptive behavior.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Kai put himself on Mike’s shitlist. People who get on there tend to end up proving that they deserve everything that’s coming to them. Jesse is the only one who made it off of there, and I guess we’ll have to wait and see how much loyalty lies beneath Kai’s disruptive behavior.

we haven't seen Mike develop an improbable pseudo-son on this show yet, i'm hoping for a bizarre bond with the dumb german

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Selachian posted:

Odds that Kai ends up in the foundation of the superlab?

That would compromise the foundations, I don't think Gus or the german supervisor would allow that :v:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

eke out posted:

the cold open with jimmy and kim flirting while passing out mail, then the restaurant scene combined to be incredible. especially where he leaves the table and hyperventilates as the restaurant noises swell up around him, then smash cut sitting back down and telling kim of course she should do it and it'd be wrong of him to ask otherwise.
I think this is brilliant exactly because I think it foretells the end of their relationship. She had the very idea of running to a large firm to escape the possibility of Wexler McGill after seeing the notepad, and Jimmy not being able to actually express his reasonable and expected disappointment and sadness to instead put on a mask of everything is okay is not the mark of a healthy relationship.

It's one more crack in the division between Jimmy who doesn't get what he wants, and Saul who gets what he wants no matter what it takes.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
Or Kai could end up doing something that necessitates the murder of his entire crew.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I was gonna make a pithy remark about deportation, but after Gus' story about being cruel to a poor hungry raccoon creature I'm pretty sure he is actually a heartless murdering machine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Kai's offenses, so far:

You forgot the part where he completely ignores the guy in charge several times.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Running episode-watch post:

-Attorney John Tortorella is back!
(<-----)
-Mike and Gus are setting up a real-life GTA Online illicit operation cover business.
--Waiting for the indoor soccer field for the bunkers now.
-The Howard Hamlin schadenfreude is delightful. (Oh, there's the "strong language"!)
-Where is the warehouse for the Germans? In the last episode, they had the first engineer in a rental car lot marked with "DEN" signs, which I took to mean Denver's airport.
-

CBJSprague24 posted:

(e- Never mind, I'd be curious to see how Jimmy might use his new friends to spook the kids who mugged him. Just, you know, scare them, don't actually make them dead.)

:whatup: :getin: :getin:

Regy Rusty posted:

We're in 2003 now

Is it me, or is that kitchen in their apartment way too modern for 2003?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

This show has never gone to great lengths to be period accurate.

That said I never notice any of the discrepancies people point out.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Kai's offenses, so far:

He hasnt done anything yet, he's just been foreshadowed as 'the one to watch'. You don't mention a characters name 3 times in their first scene unless its going somewhere.

Also, the timeframe of the superlab is predicted to be completed in 10 months, same as jimmys return to lawyering.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I had that same thought... the backsplash in particular is no more then 6 years old.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Kai is going to call das experiment inhuman and nazi like and then Mike is going to make the others do push-ups while he drinks beer

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Did jimmy even get his drat money back from the punks that is literally all I care about and I won't sleep if he didn't

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Did jimmy even get his drat money back from the punks that is literally all I care about and I won't sleep if he didn't

He didn't but that wasn't the goal. They got him good that time and they get to keep it, but he's made sure it'll never happen again.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Goddamnit jimmy

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The phone call about Mrs. Strauss and then Jimmy sitting down to watch her commercial bummed me out. I’m guessing the line from the ad ‘where did it all go?’ was meant to sting.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

NowonSA posted:

BCS has also given me a new appreciation for Saul's ability to work out solutions and have the connections to help Walt and Jesse in most situations, but not all of them. He can come up with schemes when they're in his wheelhouse and there isn't a huge "fix this or we're all screwed" problem, but he's lost the ability to quickly come up with stuff that's only slightly shady and not super Saul slimy. I'm thinking particularly of when they want to buy the car wash and his ideas to get Bogdan to sell are to threaten him mob style, get immigration on him, or label him a terrorist, but I feel like Jimmy would have hit on the EPA/chemical contamination idea right there in the room.

And I should have realized that of course Howard is paying the full partner's share out to Chuck's estate, and between that and his guilt HHM would be spiraling downward fast. I guess Chuck's craziness being outed during Jimmy's hearing and subsequent death did more damage to the firms reputation than I expected too, unless Hamlin has just been punting cases left and right, which is also a distinct possibility.

Kim bumping right over to that partnership was a smart move that I really wasn't expecting, it really is the perfect career move that just happens to unfortunately crush Jimmy's dreams, and unless Jimmy does something to really mess Kim up it certainly seems like she's finally got her work life in a good balance at last. I mean, partner at a law firm you're probably still working 70 hours a week easily, but she can probably scale that down to something more like 50-60 hours, offload work to the associates, and still take the time to do public defender work.

I think Kim made that move as the softest way to say "no" to the partnership. She sees the notebook and then the very next scene she meets up with the guy to ask for a partnership. It's a combination of a good solution to balance out what she wants to do and avoid saying no to Jimmy again, but I think the former was fueled by the latter.

The kitchen scene was great.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CBJSprague24 posted:

Running episode-watch post:

-Attorney John Tortorella is back!
(<-----)
-Mike and Gus are setting up a real-life GTA Online illicit operation cover business.
--Waiting for the indoor soccer field for the bunkers now.
-The Howard Hamlin schadenfreude is delightful. (Oh, there's the "strong language"!)
-Where is the warehouse for the Germans? In the last episode, they had the first engineer in a rental car lot marked with "DEN" signs, which I took to mean Denver's airport.
-

:whatup: :getin: :getin:

They flew the europeans into Denver and then picked them up in rural CO or NM, put the hoods on, and drove them to somewhere near ABQ. It’s close enough to Albuquerque that people can easily come and go within a normal-seeming work day.

I think the point of locking them in is that the germans themselves couldn’t say where they are besides being within x hours drive of Denver.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 11, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Germans are an efficient machine like people. Using basic internal clockwork and birdlike navigation they will pinpoint where they are

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Regy Rusty posted:

This show has never gone to great lengths to be period accurate.

That said I never notice any of the discrepancies people point out.

Eh, the obvious one they did get right (that I noticed) was Jimmy's Mercedes from the law firm was early 2000s.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Eh, the obvious one they did get right (that I noticed) was Jimmy's Mercedes from the law firm was early 2000s.

They do really well with cars, cells phones, and computers; other stuff, not so much.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Though it's unlikely for Jimmy's mid-'90s Suzuki to be in the shape it is, we can excuse that for comedy.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
When we look back, this is the episode that Wexler-McGill failed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wake_N_Bake posted:

When we look back, this is the episode that Wexler-McGill failed.
Kim is making the correct decision for her. She has her poo poo together but Jimmy can’t even practice law for I think he said 10 more months. The added bonus was her finding a way to help Mesa Verde while also doing her pro bono work.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope Jimmy rustled Howard enough to fix up HHM. For some reason I'm really cheering for Howard at this point, something I never thought I'd ever say. Jimmy's a fairly good dude in his own way, he hates seeing Howard so depressed and needed to give him a pep talk. I think it's unsettling to Jimmy to see Howard and HHM in decay like that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Baronjutter posted:

I hope Jimmy rustled Howard enough to fix up HHM. For some reason I'm really cheering for Howard at this point, something I never thought I'd ever say. Jimmy's a fairly good dude in his own way, he hates seeing Howard so depressed and needed to give him a pep talk. I think it's unsettling to Jimmy to see Howard and HHM in decay like that.
Jimmy’s right though, that Howard was the salesman of HHM and not the legal mind. The firm just may not be able to survive without Chuck.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Jimmy's pep talk wasn't addressed at Howard. He was pretty clearly psyching himself up to go all in on his new criminal law scheme.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Jimmys pep talk was to himself "you're a crappy lawyer but you're a good salesman so go out and sell" (cut to hawking phones again)

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Did the intro actually imply that Jimmy became a lawyer to impress Kim? Poor Jimmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Samopsa posted:

Did the intro actually imply that Jimmy became a lawyer to impress Kim? Poor Jimmy.

Jimmy is a pretty complex character with a lot of overlapping motivations, which is why the show is good. He wanted to impress Kim and follow her before she rises above his reach, he wanted to show his brother he could be his equal, he wanted to get out of the mail room and feel successful.

Just like his advice to Howard, which of course was more to himself, but a part of his humanity felt bad seeing a former enemy laid so low by Chuck's death. There's always a bunch of stuff going on in Jimmy's head which is why he's a likeable character. There's almost always a glimmer of humanity and good intentions in so many of his terrible and selfish choices.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 11, 2018