Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think getting cats who were strays is like the opposite of a trust fund kid: they realise how good they’ve got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

thanks so much to all you goons who helped out last time. :3:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Recently learned that Ethics and Snowflake came from this totally bananas shelter. So did the foster kittens that gave me ringworm... which makes a lot of sense now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4u41ysH3eE

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

3/4 cats moved out of my house recently and my special little boy is real lonely and clingy now, which is fine, make sense, sure.

But he really wants me to wake up and pet him at 4am. This mostly entails sticking his claws out just a little bit and scratching my face, or my arms or my chest

And I’d really like to be able to sleep and not have to yell at my cat in the middle of the night

Opinion on those little plastic caps for kitty cat paws? Terrible abusive thing or totally cool and fine?
Or is there something else I can do

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Get another cat

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Sockser posted:

3/4 cats moved out of my house recently and my special little boy is real lonely and clingy now, which is fine, make sense, sure.

But he really wants me to wake up and pet him at 4am. This mostly entails sticking his claws out just a little bit and scratching my face, or my arms or my chest

And I’d really like to be able to sleep and not have to yell at my cat in the middle of the night

Opinion on those little plastic caps for kitty cat paws? Terrible abusive thing or totally cool and fine?

Everytime he wakes you up like this, stick him in the bathroom for the rest of the night and ignore any sad meows he may make until you get out of bed. It may take a few times, but he'll start to figure things out quickly.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Thumposaurus posted:

Get another cat

He was uhhhh super territorial with other cats and liked to piss on things as a result so I’d rather let him mellow back out for a bit first

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Sockser posted:

Trim the claws. I'd never be comfortable affixing things to claws.

One of mine tends to do that, but I've learned to pet her in my sleep and that seems to satisfy her. At least, I think that's what happens, as I wake up later with dim memories of her waking me up for an instant. I also make sure they have dry food out all night which seems to keep the feline unrest at manageable levels.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Pull them under the covers and give them a hug. if they fall asleep like that then bonus! If they hate it, they'll stop waking you up.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yeah, either figure out how to situate them so they're quickly satisfied or remove the positive feedback altogether and roll over or throw them off. I second claw trimming, but sometimes you gotta start em young on that poo poo. Still, you can usually get a couple at a time while they're sleeping. More play during the day or one of those feather toy robots during the night could help too.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Lucy's got me buying live crickets every week. (To be fair, it could only have been my idea in the first place. She didn't hand me a petition with her paw print for more killables.) They're like a toy and a cookie at the same time. It's a mite too cold to breed them right now, which I think I'm gonna start doing so I can save a tiny bit of coin.

They keep her occupied far better than any automated toy I've gotten her, yet still don't compare to the air prey fishing rod. Which hurts my arms very quickly, and before Lucy's finished playing so she follows the string to play with (eviscerate) the source. Which hurts my arms more. I hope you can see why I'm willing to increase the insect blood sacrifices that occur under my roof.

But yeah, I've got a gentle alarm at 10pm telling me to put out dry food, freshen her water for the night, and turn all the lights off to attempt sleep. Alas, for her it's become the signal to :supaburn::sotw::rock::holy:. Ignoring her (and getting some play and walks in during the day) has so far been the best approach*. She's only sprinting up and down the flat 'til midnight instead of past it! :haw:

(*Aside from unleashing 15 crickets all at once, but that's $2.50 worth of bug. It adds up.)

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate posted:

My mom's cat Sugi was at the vet today and they did some tests and found he has kidney failure. They don't know how long he has but it's 'not long' apparently, and they can't do much to treat it because of the other medicines he's already on because he's old af (18 on Hallowe'en) and has accumulated a bunch of medical conditions.

Not really asking anything, just... bleh.

My old cat Missy has kidney disease. Make sure to leave out tons of water for her, and switch to wet food. They piss a ton when they have kidney disease so wet food helps to keep them hydrated. It smells but it's a small price to pay. I give her the bulk Purina one stuff, but there are specific wet foods you can buy for cats with kidney disease. Unfortunately they're between $1 and $2 for a single can of food.

They put her on Gabapentin for anxiety and pain, and I crush up human pepcid (10mg) into a powder and put it in her food twice a day. Kidneys regulate the acidity and bile in their stomachs, so Sugi may start to throw up a lot as the disease progresses.

I try to make Missy as comfortable as possible for what little time she has life.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Boogalo posted:

Pull them under the covers and give them a hug. if they fall asleep like that then bonus! If they hate it, they'll stop waking you up.

This works, and I do it with Lucky. If he actually wants attention, he'll hang out. If he just wanted to play or something, he'll ditch and go find one of his balls or puzzle boxes to bat around.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I think getting cats who were strays is like the opposite of a trust fund kid: they realise how good they’ve got it

I stole Domino from someone I'm pretty sure.

He was outside in the chilly fall air meowing and we could hear him from inside and upstairs. I went outside and said "here kitty" and this little white blob came running through the darkness and hid under my car. I took him inside and locked he just kind of became ours. When her mom had to move and couldn't take him my dad gave me the green light to bring him home with me and the little rear end in a top hat alternates between loving and thankful and aloof and assholeish.

We've had Bean for about a year and a half now and she's still super skittish but she came from living with someone who actively hated her and instead of giving her pets would throw pillows at her to go away.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Bored As gently caress posted:

My old cat Missy has kidney disease. Make sure to leave out tons of water for her, and switch to wet food. They piss a ton when they have kidney disease so wet food helps to keep them hydrated. It smells but it's a small price to pay. I give her the bulk Purina one stuff, but there are specific wet foods you can buy for cats with kidney disease. Unfortunately they're between $1 and $2 for a single can of food.

They put her on Gabapentin for anxiety and pain, and I crush up human pepcid (10mg) into a powder and put it in her food twice a day. Kidneys regulate the acidity and bile in their stomachs, so Sugi may start to throw up a lot as the disease progresses.

I try to make Missy as comfortable as possible for what little time she has life.

Oh they get three wet meals a day and Sugi gets an extra one as a reward for taking his medicine, and there's lots of water in several bowls, plus he likes to jump in the bath and yowl for the tap xD We will have to see about the special kidney disease food though - will mention that to my mom! And thanks for the heads up on barfing, good to know in advance.

I hope Missy remains comfortable and ends up on the longer end of the survival time. Give her pet from me :unsmith:

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Poor Freddie! She isn't going to make it, apparently in kidney failure. Easiest cat I ever cared for, no messes, not fussy, wanted just enough attention but not too much. Such a sweetheart!

:sigh:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Freddie is a Good Cat.

gently caress kidney disease.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

A super sweet cat has been coming by our yard for a few weeks. I was sure she had a home since she is so friendly and smelled like shampoo once. But she has a weeping eye that kept getting worse so I took her to the vet a couple days ago. Turns out she isn't chipped. I put a paper collar on her yesterday with contact info and saying I got her some antibiotics, but today she was back with the collar still on. I hope she has a family, my roommates are not into a cat indoors and I don't think she is the kind of cat that is used to braving winter outdoors. I did show her the cat shelter I made for a different stray who has since disappeared. :unsmith:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

taqueso posted:

A super sweet cat has been coming by our yard for a few weeks. I was sure she had a home since she is so friendly and smelled like shampoo once. But she has a weeping eye that kept getting worse so I took her to the vet a couple days ago. Turns out she isn't chipped. I put a paper collar on her yesterday with contact info and saying I got her some antibiotics, but today she was back with the collar still on. I hope she has a family, my roommates are not into a cat indoors and I don't think she is the kind of cat that is used to braving winter outdoors. I did show her the cat shelter I made for a different stray who has since disappeared. :unsmith:

Please save super sweet cat.

Also congratulations on your new cat!

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

One of my cats, a 2 year old neutered in/outdoor male, just returned from the days' adventure limping, complaining with two puncture wounds on his right left foot (one on top, one on the bottom). The leg also looks kinda swollen, but doesn't appear to be broken (he only yelps in pain if we touch the actual wounds).

Welp, time for more visits to the vet tomorrow when they open and we're in shape to drive.

I'm just so sad looking at him now, and can see he's in pain :(

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Look at this dumb cat that had to get antibiotics and pain medication. What a dum dum.

I'm very happy he's doing well otherwise.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Lol shamed, glad he is/will be okay though! Any idea how he got injured?

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

He probably got in a fight with something and it bit his paw. Could be anything from another cat to a snake.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It was cold this morning and I fell asleep with a blanket over their head.

Does anyone else have an rear end in a top hat that finds that as a personal insult and claws at your face until he either uncovers you or you wake up and uncover yourself?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Baby Tuesday thinks that's an invitation to hunt the most dangerous game.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

My kitty has in my estimation some pretty large turds come out of her bhole. She also only goes every 24-36 hours and there is sometimes a little blood/excess mucus on her butt (but not really her poop) that I've been trying to watch for since I noticed it about a month ago. I used to feed her half a can of core wellness wet food in the morning and let her free feed off of core wellness dry food but switched her to only wet food and some pumpkin because I was worried the large turds might be due to constipation and I wanted to try and make sure she is getting as much water as I can. It doesn't seem to be making much of a difference but I'm also not even really sure how big a problem this is. She's only like 2-3 so still pretty young. I've had her for almost 10 months and the poop size has been consistent but I didn't think she might be having problems until I saw the butt residue which slightly coincided with me changing her from the core wellness to the costco wet food (i've since changed back) but that might just be a coincidence. Any thoughts? Things I should do differently? Should I even be worried about it unless it gets worse? Would a cat express constipation discomfort in a way I'd be able to identify?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Sounds like maybe a chronic constipation problem but either way that's a vet appt sounding issue to me. Poor kitty!

Anyone else's dumb cat eaten someone's hair and then had the tinsel poop challenge?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Sounds like maybe a chronic constipation problem but either way that's a vet appt sounding issue to me. Poor kitty!

Anyone else's dumb cat eaten someone's hair and then had the tinsel poop challenge?

Mine tries to eat the empty foil blisters nicorette comes in. I don't know how she keeps finding them but she does. I don't know why either, they're big, sharp on the sides and edges, and made up of foil and plastic...

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

My cat is addicted to the sticky glue on plastic wrappers, to the point I had to put a hook in the entry way where he can't get to hold that recycling bag.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

If the kitty has blood in or from pooping she needs to see a vet ASAP, I'm afraid.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The hardest I have laughed in a long time was the moment I saw Pequod come flying out of the litter box, losing her mind, because there was poop attached to one of my hairs hanging out of her butt and she couldn't figure out to free herself from this evil. Took me a solid couple of minutes to stop laughing so I could grab her and free her.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Ms Adequate posted:

If the kitty has blood in or from pooping she needs to see a vet ASAP, I'm afraid.

Couldn't hurt to jar a fresh turd for them, either.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We woke up in the middle of the night with no Domino on the bed. I was confused because he has a spot that he always sleeps in I shook the feather on a string and made it's bell jingle.

Turns out the dumbass had fallen asleep in the closet and it had been closed on him.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Len posted:

We woke up in the middle of the night with no Domino on the bed. I was confused because he has a spot that he always sleeps in I shook the feather on a string and made it's bell jingle.

Turns out the dumbass had fallen asleep in the closet and it had been closed on him.

A couple years ago I couldn’t find my (120dB, constantly screaming) cat late at night and was worried she had somehow escaped. Eventually, it turned out that she managed to get herself trapped in a bathroom cabinet while trying to destroy my home and decided the best way to deal with the situation was to remain 100% quiet for the first time in her existence and wait for death.

Luckily for her, opening a can of tuna in the kitchen produced a horrendous sound of thrashing from that bathroom.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hi guys, thought I'd do like a little semi-monthly check-in for anyone who cares about how me and my 26-toed kitty-companion Jackie are doing... (I hope some people care heh)

But anyway! So Jackie and I have just spent the summer in this quaint upper-middle class suburb of Portland called Scarborough, so it was kinda like getting out of the "big city" of Portland, ME for a little while, which was really kinda nice... I could really see thew stars at night for the first time in years. Also, it was on this spacious road where NOBODY ever drove over 15mph really, only kicking it up to 20 occasionally. I considered it to be a Jackie-safe road, which was rare, so she had full outdoor privileges all summer (she still spent 20-22 hours inside every day though) but she loved going outside whenever I did.

So anyway, I also had a *hell* of a time finding a nice place to live that was still in-town Portland; it was a *serious* seller's market, I mean every other showing that was scheduled for us usually had at least another party just as interested and motivated as we were to found a place... And me and my friends were three gay guys ranging from mid-20s to early-30s in age and all three of us have our own.. defined sense of individuality. So next to some relatively more normal straight couple with a kid looking for a 2-bedroom place, we felt we were at some kind of a disadvantage automatically, lol. I think it was mostly all in my head though, people really are quite tolerant and I'm sure we always got a fair shake... But to make a long story short, we got really lucky and wound up with this really ideal 2-bedroom apartment right in the part of town we wanted and allowing us to move in exactly when we wanted (September 1st)... But it was desperate and really scary because as late as August 21 we did NOT have a place to live and the renting situation was getting worse and more stressful every day. But ultimately, in those situations, you must trust in your own good karma IMO.

So Jackie and I moved in with roommates for the first time! I lived with roommate for the first 6 or 7 years after I left home at 18, but I started living alone when I was about 25 or so - and shortly got Jackie living with me after that, and I never realized how tough it was living alone sans a pet until after I got Jackie. We spent 9 freaking years together, just me alone with Jackie as my only "roommate", and we lived in 3 different apartments. So it is VERY odd now having roommates, but honestly it's really great and really fun. And in a really odd way, the biggest things it's shown me is that Jackie really loves me WAY MORE than I ever really knew, because nobody else was every really around very long and wherever we moved the whole place like, smelled of me and Jackie and such.

But now it's different, because we're living with those other two guys now, both of whom really do *love* cats. One of them (my younger roommate) has totally fallen for Jackie and is always down for petting her or playing with her or encouraging her on his lap. They're both very good with cats and treat them very respectfully, I am relieved to say. My other friend is sad because his 14 year old cat died earlier this summer, so he's having a tough time with it all I think still. But they both still absolutely adore her - I mean of course they do, she's this cute cuddly soft lap-cat who likes any and all laps.

Another thing I've found that has always made me wonder... What does Jackie do when I'm not here? When I am here she is always at my side (especially since I moved in here) or if not she's just asleep on my bed, her new fave sleeping spot even when I'm not there, which is new. But basically, I was very curious to hear from my roommates what she's like when I'm not there. According them... and this broke my heart... Jackie literally wanders near-endlessly from room to room looking for me :(! They said she does this thing where she'll look in rooms and then nervously back out. She also claws at any closed doors. I guess this goes on for 45 minutes, an hour, longer maybe? Eventually she just tired and sits on the futon out front and stares at the door where I'm coming in and falls asleep eventually - until I come in and she's immediately awake. Soooo cute, I have to say :3:

And you know... There is something somehow nice about a cat who just trusts you completely and totally showing that in front of other people. Cats or often capricious and do the unexpected, or cozy up to someone other than their food provider/poop scooper/"parent" and do not respond to any kind of verbal command. But Jackie is really impressive at doing just what I ask her to do nearly all the time. I've basically realized she is just extremely dog-like in the way she's attached to me as her "master" or whatever... Like how she really needs to be around me or know where I am at all times when I'm in the apartment!

So uh.... Sorry for rambling on about my life with my cat. Jackie and I are both extremely comforting living here, though. Feels very very very good to not be alone with just me, my cat, and I. But we have a very nice and comfy room with great sound insulation for an older house.. So both my cat and I are in a good supportive place living with other people and it's wonderful!

kaworu fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 11, 2018

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

poste du monocylindre
I might just be projecting, but my cat seems so bored and sad lately. He's an eight year-old weird runt and just moved in with me in June after staying with my ex for a bit while I got settled in my own place post-breakup.
I think my ex was a bit more actively physically affectionate with cat but cat is obviously bonded to me on at least some foundational level because I adopted him and have known him his entire lil cat life and love him very much. I think in contrast my style of affection with him is pretty low-key, i.e., I'll have him sit on me while I watch TV or read and we play together every night before dinner, but things operate at a pretty chill wavelength.

I got him a window shelf but he won't jump up there himself. He's not a height-loving cat, prefers to be under stuff. He loves to look outside though, so a bit of a catch 22. Old place had a sliding glass door that he could could just sit on the rug and look out on and feel a fresh breeze, but my place has windows that are a bit high and they actually don't open fully (don't ask!!!!!). So all he can do is stick his face in the bottom two inches if he ever actually goes near one of the windows.

He loves to chase stuff like dancers and feathers, but only one that actively seems to be interesting to him right now. I got him an automatic feather chaser thing that he just watches but doesn't play with. The only thing I've gotten him lately and had success with is a wool cat cave and he LOVES IT but it isn't exactly stimulating.

I wonder if I should try getting him a kinda short cat tree? And maybe change my affection style somehow? I wish I could get a second cat because I think he'd love that, but I'm not able to.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Len posted:

My kitten got stuck in my bathroom one night. I'd just moved the litter box out and wanted to encourage using only the other one (she had been using the correct one, but my old cat had started using the temporary one in the bathroom and making a huge mess) so I was leaving the bathroom door closed for a few days to prevent accidents. She got shut in there all night and peed where the box used to be :argh:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm taking my big tough Evil Gizmo to the vet. They squeezed her in right before my small fry's appointment which is nice.

Gizmo's been lethargic the past 3-4 days and I noticed last night that her nose and gums appeared pale. Those and some other things like behavior changes (first off she's being too nice and that's just weird) got me a little scared.

Every time I've second guessed my gut about a cat's health, I've regretted it... so I decided to bite the bullet and take her in. Wish my crabby girl luck.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I got this feeder tree for my cats and it has mixed success so far. At first they just sat there and meowed at me when I poured food from their bowls into this contraption. I sprinkled a few treats on the top layer for motivation and that a couple swipes, nothing super enthusiastic though.

For now it seems like they use it, but only when I'm not looking. At night I can hear the faint rattle of kibble bouncing down once in a while. It seems like they'll only have to motivation to paw food down when they're really hungry. Otherwise they just come and meow at me despite this tree being full of food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

So I'm at my wits end atm. Both cats will not quit pissing on the floor.
2 cats - 7 and 6 (give or take, both rescues). We've had them since kittens. 4 litter boxes between the two of them, they eat a mix of wet/dry, scheduled mealtimes, lots of water all the time. For the last 2 months, our basement floor is a game of "find the cat piss".

Boxes are cleaned every day or two. We've tried every kind of litter we can find - using anything but gravel/clay/whatever and its worse. I've done a full litter change, cleaned the bins, and come down 15 minutes later to a piss puddle.

Vet visit - all clear. Nothing physiological causing it. So its behavioral. Tried Feliway, litter additives, etc - still no luck.

I love the little shits, but if they won't stop peeing everywhere, they'll have to go.

Any ideas for a super-frustrated cat owner who's never had these issues before?