Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/CalvinKlein/status/1038205635979030528

Big fan of an account with 3 million followers promoting a Twitter poll and getting NOTHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Diet Poison posted:

Podcast ads all being the same companies really contributes to advertising fatigue, though. It's like how when you're at your parents' place and they still have broadcast tv, and you see the same commercial 10 times an hour. Does not make me want to buy that product.

It doesn't help that every ad is for some lovely middle man offering a subscription service for something you should be able to handle as a functioning non-retarded adult. Let us grocery shop for you! Let us buy you underwear! Let us buy you sheets! Let us take care of your snacks! Etc. Its never occurred to me that I need a cash guzzling middle man in any of these operations because I've gone my whole life just doing that poo poo as a daily part of my existence.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Screaming Idiot posted:

Back before TAZ turned into the podcast equivalent of FMVs with no actual gaming -- seriously, the clever game-breaking rules-lawyery bullshit that facilitates the story is better than "McElroy Special Tumblrina makes poo poo up on the fly" because it's more than just random make-believe -- I would have put down actual money for a no-ads version of the podcast.

Not now, though. Not worth my time or money.

Watch Critical Role instead.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It doesn't help that every ad is for some lovely middle man offering a subscription service for something you should be able to handle as a functioning non-retarded adult. Let us grocery shop for you! Let us buy you underwear! Let us buy you sheets! Let us take care of your snacks! Etc. Its never occurred to me that I need a cash guzzling middle man in any of these operations because I've gone my whole life just doing that poo poo as a daily part of my existence.

But they have an app. It's consumer 2.0 gramps.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Podcast stuff is for when the hands and eyes are busy but the brain isn't. Not gonna sit down and watch some dudes roll some dice.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

chitoryu12 posted:

I tried, but any time Liam O'Brien talks I just imagine him screaming "YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!" and "I AM NOT WEAK!" and I have to pause it to stop laughing. He plays the best dumbass edgelord characters. :allears:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Screaming Idiot posted:

Back before TAZ turned into the podcast equivalent of FMVs with no actual gaming -- seriously, the clever game-breaking rules-lawyery bullshit that facilitates the story is better than "McElroy Special Tumblrina makes poo poo up on the fly" because it's more than just random make-believe -- I would have put down actual money for a no-ads version of the podcast.

Not now, though. Not worth my time or money.

Do you take joy in living up to your username every day of your life

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I am just amazed that Cum Town has ad reads

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I am just amazed that Cum Town has ad reads

Podcasts dont have the breadth and depth to block off popular podcasts as part of an ad buy. Hell a lot of podcast companies have pretty high minimums so you have to be in basically everything to even buy it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Screaming Idiot posted:

I tried, but any time Liam O'Brien talks I just imagine him screaming "YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!" and "I AM NOT WEAK!" and I have to pause it to stop laughing. He plays the best dumbass edgelord characters. :allears:

Liam is incredible as Caleb during combat because all of his dialogue is basically drunken babbling in a German accent.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

chitoryu12 posted:

Liam is incredible as Caleb during combat because all of his dialogue is basically drunken babbling in a German accent.

I really, really need to take the time to listen to them sometime.

flatluigi posted:

Do you take joy in living up to your username every day of your life

Bitch, I take joy in nothing.

*swaggers away, then bursts into tears, shits self*

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mu Zeta posted:

The ads they sell on podcasts are bizarre. It's services like Squarespace (build your website without knowing html), subscription services to supposedly healthy snacks, and a subscription service for shaving blades. I think it's clear the demographic is ~25-30 year old male programmer that never leaves work or home.
The one I always find strangest is the one where you can print off stamps at home (or something like that), which I guess is for people running a business from their home and needing to mail out a lot of packages? What percentage of the podcast-listening audience are in the market for that service? The recruitment company also seems a bit odd, because that also seems like a pretty niche market that could be targeted more effectively in some other medium.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I feel so goddamn spoiled because the main podcasts I listen to don't run ads at all since they're just some nerds with a hobby.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The last time I bought stamps, I definitely felt like it was an inconvenient and slightly too expensive experience. Of course, it was also like 5 years ago, so it doesn't exactly weigh heavily on me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yes, nerds with a hobby make for the best podcasts, even if they use ads to try and offset some of their costs. You do notice a tone change when they go from just covering costs to trying to make a living though and it's not usually for the better.

Sir Lemming posted:

The last time I bought stamps, I definitely felt like it was an inconvenient and slightly too expensive experience. Of course, it was also like 5 years ago, so it doesn't exactly weigh heavily on me.

Well if you're looking for an even more expensive option just use the referral code pod750 at Stamps.com. It'll be more convenient at least.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
STAMPS DOT COM!

BONOBOS!

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Diet Poison posted:

I used to listen to Bill Burr's podcast and it's the only time I didn't skip ads. "I'm wearing my MeUndies right now! No I'm not, don't ask me to lie; they did send me a pair though, and they're alright." "Please read the following statements. Well of course I'm gonna read them, if you fuckin put them there, I'll read them!" Sometimes he'd get really mad at stupid ad copy and you'd never hear ads from those people again.
Podcast ads all being the same companies really contributes to advertising fatigue, though. It's like how when you're at your parents' place and they still have broadcast tv, and you see the same commercial 10 times an hour. Does not make me want to buy that product.

https://youtu.be/sUaWkVcK4L8?list=FL_t4dyPk8Ikb61fvCwOsjvw&t=926 will forever be the gold standard for how to do podcast advertising.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

*Slams fists on table like Phoenix Wright*

Trunk Club and Stitch Fix are the same loving service, GRIFFIN!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Atmus posted:

https://youtu.be/sUaWkVcK4L8?list=FL_t4dyPk8Ikb61fvCwOsjvw&t=926 will forever be the gold standard for how to do podcast advertising.

this sucks and bill burr als o sucks, sorry

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I would imagine any artist who works in tangible goods, from art to quilting to jewelry to candles, would find printing off stamps more convenient given that’s more time they have to be at home and work/rest.

As for the “middleman” services, I know of people with chronic conditions who would rather pay the extra money for a fun package of snacks or have a grocery service take care of shopping for them because poo poo like pain and depression doesn’t schedule around your wants and desires.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I get the adaptability and chronic illness excuse, hell better than some I'm sure!, but I've never seen that actually be the bread and butter of one of these businesses. At some point, that itself becomes a marketing gimmick that further takes advantage of those who need real help and not overpriced exploitative consumerist bullhooey.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Everyone wants a piece of that subscription payment pie. Businesses want that sweet sweet “forgot to cancel” money. It’s gym memberships writ large. In the dystopian future, literally everything will have a monthly fee. Hope you can afford your air this month, grandma. Think I’m joking? Look up what Nestle’s CEO thinks about water.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Tiggum posted:

The one I always find strangest is the one where you can print off stamps at home (or something like that), which I guess is for people running a business from their home and needing to mail out a lot of packages? What percentage of the podcast-listening audience are in the market for that service? The recruitment company also seems a bit odd, because that also seems like a pretty niche market that could be targeted more effectively in some other medium.
Podcast ad cost per 1000 listens is $18 for a 15-second pre-roll and $25 for a 60-second mid-roll. You don't need a lot of conversions to make it worthwhile. For stamps, all you need is one person with a small business or an office manager who works in a small office for every few thousand listeners and you're turning a profit. Bigger ones like mattresses make money on a smaller conversion rate than that to profit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Everyone wants a piece of that subscription payment pie. Businesses want that sweet sweet “forgot to cancel” money. It’s gym memberships writ large. In the dystopian future, literally everything will have a monthly fee. Hope you can afford your air this month, grandma. Think I’m joking? Look up what Nestle’s CEO thinks about water.

Hey now. He took it back and doesn't think water should be privatized

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Last Chance posted:

this sucks and bill burr als o sucks, sorry

You don't have to apologize for giving a bad opinion dude, I wasn't offended.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

also you can do it directly through the usps website OR get a discount by doing them through paypal

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Len posted:

Hey now. He took it back and doesn't think water should be privatized

Did he? I've been boycotting Nestlé for awhile over that and their formula bullshit.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
there's already commercials about oxygen tank stuff for olds.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Atmus posted:

The best Bill Burr ad was Sherries Berries.

https://youtu.be/Rl5JDzvkEA0

I lose it every time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

This episode of Important if True is brought to you by Blue Coal!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“Bukkake” is a totally normal description for that dish in Japan but perhaps ought to be avoided in foreign markets.

It’s the inverse of the word “giclée”, which some wankers started using as a fancy name for inkjet printing. It means “spurt” but has certain connotations in French. :ccb:

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Tiggum posted:

I figured the recruitment company is actually fishing for people who are looking for a new job. Recruiters need companies because those are their customers, but they also need job applicants because they're the product being sold.

I think Podcast ads make a lot of sense when you realize that the Standard Podcast Consumer Profile is a young professional with a long commute. For someone with literally no leisure time, even the 10 minutes it takes to drive to the Post Office, buy some stamps from the touch-screen kiosk, and drive back home becomes a noticeable time investment. Hell, I did Blue Apron for a while when I had my lovely temp job. The meals weren't great, and the price is fuckin robbery; but I could cook up the whole box on the one day I had off and have dinner sorted out for the rest of the week.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
If I have my hands free, I'm going to skip the ad. If I'm busy driving or washing up or whatever, I'm not going to stop to write down the company and I'm going to forget by the time the podcast ends unless it's terrible. Plus I'm not American or interested in my own website in the first place. Still, apart from a few where I subscribe and get an ad-free version, they're one of the few kinds of ads I can't just avoid (along with, say, literal billboards and grocery store promotions), so I guess there's potential.

The local podcasts I listen to aren't much better, probably because our market is tiny, it's either patreon with unreasonable tiers or garbage-of-the-month clubs on the ones I listen to.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Using Youtube on my phone, I have grown numb to ads like these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XrQOH_XqOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6AhsjMz4F8

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Beachcomber posted:

Did he? I've been boycotting Nestlé for awhile over that and their formula bullshit.

It's back peddling as all hell but he only meant we don't deserve it for like swimming pools and stuff man.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/nestle-ceo-water-not-human-right/

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

McElroy ads are pretty bad, but their Jumbotrons are the WORST. Ten minutes of the show devoted to couples calling each other by their pet names. It's like being a third wheel even when you're by yourself.

Their Totino's episode is still really funny, though.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

slinkimalinki posted:

Uh, dude, fairy bread doesn't just have sugar on it, it has hundreds-and-thousands on it.

I think you guys call em sprinkles.

no those are called jimmies

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slippery posted:

no those are called jimmies

New England (RI?) Goon spotted

Anyway, rainbow ones are sprinkles. All brown chocolate ones are jimmies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

grittyreboot posted:

McElroy ads are pretty bad, but their Jumbotrons are the WORST. Ten minutes of the show devoted to couples calling each other by their pet names. It's like being a third wheel even when you're by yourself.

Their Totino's episode is still really funny, though.

without Jumbotrons we wouldn't have had this amazing bit

https://youtu.be/jwKgxZ2e23w