Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

there's a few others I believe(and of course, Vex), but the current rule is that it needs 2 mana symbols, at least one of which must be blue

E: also why is this rare

Making counterspells rare is just the new thing they do these days because $$$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

countersquall was pretty good, this seems better

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

there's a few others I believe(and of course, Vex), but the current rule is that it needs 2 mana symbols, at least one of which must be blue

E: also why is this rare

suicidesteve posted:

Arcane Denial.

Vex and AD wouldn't fall under what I meant (admittedly ambiguously) by "straightforward".

Gavel's what i had in mind, but this is actually reasonably costed.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Did y'all straight up forget that Absorb, Undermine, Suffocating Blast, and Mystic Snake existed in Invasion block?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

evilweasel posted:

this is worse than countersquall in modern because it costs 3 mana

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

evilweasel posted:

Countersquall costs 2 and only hits noncreatures, so :shrug:

But yeah, all the RAV blocks had one of these. Render Silent was the rare Azorius one back in RTR.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Star Man posted:

Did y'all straight up forget that Absorb, Undermine, Suffocating Blast, and Mystic Snake existed in Invasion block?

single blue mana

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

This slots very nicely into counterburn prowess wizards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

In my interpretation of the color pie, this spell is fine, even without the precedent of gavel or similar, because counterspells are essentially secondary in red.

I'd find an analogous 1UW counterspell much weirder.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Holy crap this is a great Karn check.

Also it’s a little funny to me this does a better job checking a lot of legendary things than the white card they spoiled specifically to check legendary things

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Seeded Karn hate.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lol @ destroy target artifact or Karn.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ravnica, the last bastion of the traditional goblin.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bunch of clever ideas and usefully worded cards spoiled so far

quote:

Love rangers

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Oh boy

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

suicidesteve posted:

Lol @ destroy target artifact or Karn.

Or Eldrazi or Ugin!

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

If I had to choose a name for a card that could blow up anything but lands, it wouldn't be Cratermaker.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nibble posted:

If I had to choose a name for a card that could blow up anything but lands, it wouldn't be Cratermaker.
the land is still there it just has a goblin-sized hole in it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Guildgates! Two variations of each (each with a mention of the two guilds legends)

Dimir and Boros

https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1039522982333440000

Izzet and Selesnya

https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1039523067511365633

Golgari

https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1039523170175406080

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
So the article says that they doubled the number of gates in order to increase their asfan to 1.5. It is still unclear if they are using the land slot or if there are even basic lands in the boosters.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I guess this is the Glimmer replacement :shrug:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tainen posted:

So the article says that they doubled the number of gates in order to increase their asfan to 1.5. It is still unclear if they are using the land slot or if there are even basic lands in the boosters.

It's possible they take the land slot and also appear as commons but you'd think they'd bother to tell us that??

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Tainen posted:

This seems extremely good in standard. It basically means you can turn any dead cards in a given matchup into 2 fresh cards instead, at instant speed.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Tainen posted:

Calling it now that this is much better than it seems

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

This seems extremely good in standard. It basically means you can turn any dead cards in a given matchup into 2 fresh cards instead, at instant speed.

I like this card a lot. Probably better than glimmer.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

You only get to jumpstart once, since you exile it. Still very good.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Odd choice for an SCG preview

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

you also get a solid chunk of value if you mill it. card is real strong.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sit on my Facebook posted:

Calling it now that this is much better than it seems

IDK it seems pretty good to me...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also another subtly unusual card (and a common)

Asymmetrical power and toughness reduction

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The target creature can be different when you use both modes, right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Yes.

Original ravnica introduced the templating, iirc

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

evilweasel posted:

yes

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

smertrioslol posted:

I like this card a lot. Probably better than glimmer.

It's really not. Scry 2 is a lot, and can basically serve as a Draw 4 sometimes when you throw two cards that weren't what you needed to the bottom. Forget if your deck actually cared about the energy.

Glimmer was steal as an instant at 4 but that was almost entirely because the scry AND the energy was worth the extra mana. The ability to pay it's cost a second time and pitch a card to pull two more cards makes me hesitate a lot harder and this will probably see much less play and only if there isn't better options at instant. Which, I mean, there currently isn't (at least not Draw 2- I'm not sold this is actually better then Anticipate or Opt unless your deck only really cares about volume of cards actually drawn) but I expect to see Chemister's obsoleted before it rotates.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Tainen posted:

Deep Analysis 2.0

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If it wasn't going to rotate I'd still take Glimmer for the scry, but being able to turn a late land draw into an instant speed draw-2 seems good, to me. I see it slotting right in as a control deck workhorse staple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Jump-Start Inspiration is totally fine if the format is slow and grindy, but could be too slow if the format remains fast. If you're taking turn 4 off to cast Glimmer you're at least digging four cards deep for the right answer to what your opponent presents on that turn, but without the selection you're much more likely to miss on that, have to use inefficient answers, and then you're behind the 8-ball. Alternatively you answer the board instead of casting this, and then it's clogging up your hand until you find a spot where you do have four extra mana to spend.

It'll still see play, because you want the card advantage in the grindy matchups, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up just being a 2-of.