Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
A great power rises in the east, the likes of which the world has never seen before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

A great power rises in the east, the likes of which the world has never seen before.

Man I'm loving this new Skynet DLC.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm getting better, but for a while every time I saw U-Tsang there's a second where I'm sure the game bugged out like that.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

E DYN 74158 is a lot more famous but 74029 is more interesting from a modern perspective imo

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Genghis I got your number
I need to make you mine
Genghis don't change your number
E_DYN_74029, E_DYN_74029, E_DYN_74029, E_DYN_74029

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
74029 is an anagram of 42079... and we know what numbers that almost is, right, folks?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I want to form the Roman empire as a Muslim, is it possible and if so, where's the best start for that?

Alternatively, are there any Muslim characters that have interesting / unique events?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Ya gotta be Orthodox Christian in this game. It sucks that other Christian religions get the shaft but there's gotta be an upside to no crusades.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

pidan posted:

I want to form the Roman empire as a Muslim, is it possible and if so, where's the best start for that?

Start as the byzantine emperor, join the assassins, that gives you the option to convert to Shia, openly or secretly.
Openly being Shia emperor enables crusades and 99% sure it'll be a crusade for Greece the next day, so maybe try to convert your subjects first.
Then just conquer the stuff you need for Roman empire.

If you want to start as a Muslim look at Sicily in 1066, form the kingdom of Sicily, swear fealty to Byzantines and fabricate a claim on empire because Sicily is a de jure kingdom in Byzantine empire. Then start a faction/press the claim and you're the emperor(and a crusade is incoming, but you can quickly defeat it by occupying papal lands before every Catholic is on your doorstep)

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 10, 2018

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

You can't do the decision for the Roman Empire without being Christian. Once you've formed the title you can go hogwild on converting to Shia/Sunni/whatever.

You also won't get any of the reconquest decisions or casus belli without being Christian. If you've finished the entire reconquest though, there is no downside to changing religion.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

binge crotching posted:

You can't do the decision for the Roman Empire without being Christian. Once you've formed the title you can go hogwild on converting to Shia/Sunni/whatever.

You also won't get any of the reconquest decisions or casus belli without being Christian. If you've finished the entire reconquest though, there is no downside to changing religion.

Once you control a holy site like Jerusalem you can just flip religion whenever you have piety to spare, form Rome, and then flip back to your capital's religion.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 11, 2018

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Been a while since I played so I trying to refresh my memory doing the old Ireland ruler path. Had the first ruler died to bandits after hiding out for years only to die a mere second after returning from hiding (does the game ever tell when it safe?). Second ruler was only a kid so it took a while for her to grow up and get a kid, but she has a daughter and boy, but game says there is no heir and the vessel is going to take over. I throw him in jail and he died almost immediately, but then see there is just a long line of people that not my heir taking over. Have no idea what happened to cause this. I picked at the start of the campaign the option to allow females to rule so I can skip passing the law, but this happen the moment she had a kid. Before that her sister would got the throne.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rirse posted:

Been a while since I played so I trying to refresh my memory doing the old Ireland ruler path. Had the first ruler died to bandits after hiding out for years only to die a mere second after returning from hiding (does the game ever tell when it safe?). Second ruler was only a kid so it took a while for her to grow up and get a kid, but she has a daughter and boy, but game says there is no heir and the vessel is going to take over. I throw him in jail and he died almost immediately, but then see there is just a long line of people that not my heir taking over. Have no idea what happened to cause this. I picked at the start of the campaign the option to allow females to rule so I can skip passing the law, but this happen the moment she had a kid. Before that her sister would got the throne.

Even with female rulers, you need to have a matrilineal marriage so that her children take your dynasty. Otherwise the children are of the father's dynasty, and will inherit out of your grasp.

The game won't tell you when it's safe to come out of hiding, only that there are known plots against your family. If the plot disappears, it's either not active any more, or you just don't know about them.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Sydin posted:

It's a Stellaris crossover. The Nanites are invading.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What's the best place to start for a new player?

I did the tutorial but I made the mistake of declaring war on both my brothers. It was going well until my army got really overextended and my reverses depleted.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ulio posted:

What's the best place to start for a new player?

I did the tutorial but I made the mistake of declaring war on both my brothers. It was going well until my army got really overextended and my reverses depleted.

Ireland in 1066 is the default recommendation for new players. Just don't pick an earlier start date there, or vikings will destroy you.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tamba posted:

Ireland in 1066 is the default recommendation for new players. Just don't pick an earlier start date there, or vikings will destroy you.

Earlier start dates in Ireland also mean you're tribal, which significantly complicates the whole thing since you have to slog through slowly dragging the entire Island up into Feudalism.

e. Do you have Jade Dragon? If not I highly recommend it as it adds a casus belli that will make uniting Ireland much less of a waiting for forged claims game.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 11, 2018

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Ireland is recommended because not much will happen to you (no holy wars, no Mongols, no China...) and there's a clear objective (become emperor of Britain).

For a character that has a bit more going on, but is still pretty safe, 1066's king of Bohemia is also often recommended. You need to keep your vassals in line and you can try to make politics in the HRE, who is your liege.

I have decided to play as Alp Arslan and I'm caught in a never ending war with the Byzantines, where one of us will reach an 80% score and then the other one comes back with more troops. I need this war to be over soon, so I can get rid of some decadence via religious decisions.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tamba posted:

Alright I guess Ireland is the safest place to start in every game.

No I don't have any of the dlcs.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'm really partial to Denmark as well, if you don't wanna do the whole kingdom formation nonsense and wanna just Be A King and get right to it being the weird little state with ringside seats to the Scandinavians and former-Francians mashing each other into paste.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ulio posted:

After checking out Ireland, the Duke of Apulia in Southern Italy in 1066 is another good beginner start. You start off more powerful than an Irish start, with an obvious and fairly easily achievable goal, to become King of Sicily, you're surrounded by much weaker countries to conquer, and you're pretty isolated from major enemies, at least to start. After uniting the Kingdom of Sicily, you're in a good position to do a lot of things, like go crusading, or have adventures in North Africa, take over the various Mediterranean islands, or even pledge allegiance to the HRE or the Byzantines and do some internal politicking as what's most likely the most powerful vassal.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Ulio posted:

Pick the Earl of Dublin or whatever his name is. Your character’s father will be in charge of the county to your south. He’s an old man though and will die within a few years of the game start, and you will inherit his county, giving you twice the manpower and two counties while everyone else around you has one. Then you can start pushing around everyone else as much as you want, becoming a duke and eventually king pretty easily.

It’s also fun to start in the early 1066 date and not the later one, so you can sit back in safety in Ireland and watch the chaos of the Norman invasion unfold and the subsequent rebellions in England. You can mark William the Conqueror as a character of special interest so it will give you updates as to what goes on over there. As a new player I thought a good way to learn was to just sit back and watch how things go elsewhere in the world.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

I just realized I should probably get my fill of Muslim Spain before the Reconquista gets added. Any interesting starts? I usually play the Catholics in Spain.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

I am hella PEEVED posted:

I just realized I should probably get my fill of Muslim Spain before the Reconquista gets added. Any interesting starts? I usually play the Catholics in Spain.

Playing as one of those jiminez guys whose family has all the northern spain kingdom titles but flipping muslim could be fun.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You basically have to do 1066 or later unless you just want to paint the map. Any earlier and it's trivial to bowl over Asturias, form Hispania, and rock over the Pyrenees in an unstoppable Muslim hoard. You can try 762: if Karl manages to form the HRE there's some fun to be had in blob vs blob wars, but eventually he dies and usually Europe falls apart into a gavelkind mess of weak states too busy infighting over their competing claims to really unify against you. I guess you could always gun straight for Rome and try to trigger super early Crusades?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
769 Emirate of Beja (Lisbon and such) under the Umayyads is one of my fav starts. Focus on consolidating your own power until your liege is weak then declare independence. Form Kingdom of Portugal and go from there.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

duke of calabria (769 or 867) is a pretty sweet starting spot too. you can bite off chunks of sicily and southern italy, while nobody will gently caress with you cuz you're byzantine. plus if you manage to form a kingdom you get the rad title of despot.

who doesn't want to be a despot? seriously, being a king in the byzantine empire is rad.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Offa of Mercia in the 769 start isn't too bad. You should be able to form England pretty quickly, and after that it's fairly low stakes, but there's still stuff to do, like bending Wales and Ireland over your knee. You'll have to deal with Viking raiders and probably a planned invasion or two, but I've never found them too difficult to swat down, especially because everyone around will offer to join your war if you haven't pissed them off too much. It's usually my go-to if I'm trying out a new dlc or mod or something.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
So I'm doing a game where my immortal king converted to Fraticelli and installed his son as the pope.

My son(the pope) calls a crusade on the Seljuks. Hmm, I think, the Seljuks are pretty enormous, but we can raise a huge levy, and I have a lot of gold so lets do it. I was gonna go and take the Seljuk territory, holy war for Jerusalem, install one of my other kids to be the ruler of that then switch my save to them.

So I'm fighting the Seljuks around Jerusalem and the Black Sea, and suddenly the war ends! Yay! I won all the land! Except...not where my troops are.

The crusade was for Turkmenistan :negative: I hate my idiot pope son

Also my king is 170 now, and has recently become disfigured, after already being one-handed, one-legged. I haven't let him lead armies in like a hundred years because he had already gotten injured a lot!! There was only a 20% chance goddamnit!!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

King of Xia 1066 is a great far east start; you have hella levies, you have a Silk Road post in you demesne, your de jure kingdom is held by lovely tribals, and you can jump straight into the Tibetan and Taklamakan Thunderdomes.

Just remember to get a peace deal with China ASAP because they'll gently caress you up bad within thirty years.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've been enjoying my long, long reign as a genius ruler, but all things soon pass, and after losing my face in the crusade to push the Ummayads back into the peninsula, I've been thinking about the future. I had a genius son who I made duke of Toulouse, but he died and left me a mediocre grandson who's not producing children. I've was working an angle with his mother where I might be able to make him king of Scotland, but that's been fruitless so far.

I have a second son with crappy sons, one of which may not even be my dynasty somehow, and then a pretty good son who's shaping up pretty well. If I force the middle son to take the vows, will the third son take the secondary inheritance slot, or do I have to start killing my way through grandsons first?

I've been riding out this period where I don't want to waste money on fabricating claims that I may die before being able to use, but that leads to very little action. I'm running out of buildings to build in my demesne, since outside of my capital the technology hasn't spread to build the second level of castle walls yet. I'm running a surplus of 1,000 ducats. I have nobody good to make a merc company and I tried to find a smith and only turned up a mediocre loser.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

As long as we're talking favorite starts, Latin Empire is a lot of fun, but advance time forward to 1205 before you play -- it's essentially the same as the 1204 start but you have all of Thessalonika vassalized and 10,000 event troops to kick some Bulgarian rear end with.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Good newb start is any of the 1066 Spanish states. Your relatively strong and there's a decent mix of allies and enemies nearby.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A vassal in the HRE is also pretty fun. Means you need to do a lot of internal political stuff but being part of a big empire protects you from any external threats that could otherwise steamroll you and you can work yourself toward being an emperor within a few generations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Count of Nantes 867 is good for experimenting once you are familiar with basic game concepts, feudal norse with good stats and event troops, with enough gold and prestige to launch a prepared invasion right off the bat.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Good newb start is any of the 1066 Spanish states. Your relatively strong and there's a decent mix of allies and enemies nearby.

Absolutely agree when it comes to the most vanilla of starts. You have good familial interplay with the Jimenas, and Holy War is a very straightforward casus belli if you feel confident enough to expand.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

FELD1 posted:

Absolutely agree when it comes to the most vanilla of starts. You have good familial interplay with the Jimenas, and Holy War is a very straightforward casus belli if you feel confident enough to expand.

The pope will also love you for beating up Muslims all the time and give you lots of free money when you ask.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Pakled posted:

After checking out Ireland, the Duke of Apulia in Southern Italy in 1066 is another good beginner start. You start off more powerful than an Irish start, with an obvious and fairly easily achievable goal, to become King of Sicily, you're surrounded by much weaker countries to conquer, and you're pretty isolated from major enemies, at least to start. After uniting the Kingdom of Sicily, you're in a good position to do a lot of things, like go crusading, or have adventures in North Africa, take over the various Mediterranean islands, or even pledge allegiance to the HRE or the Byzantines and do some internal politicking as what's most likely the most powerful vassal.

This would have been my suggestion. Sicily can be created within a couple years of game time, and then you can expand in any direction. Byzantine is strong? Go to Africa. Egypt and Persia are powerful? Scoop out some Greek territory while they’re busy. HRE wracked by rebellion and wars? Head north to Italy. And you’re perfectly positioned for crusading.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What am I doing wrong. Twice when I try to take land from a country I look at their army listing on the land map and it shows them with 500 guys, but when I attack them they suddenly have 2000 people. Where the gently caress are all the guys coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Has anyone here actually beaten the Chinese army and broken free from them? They invaded me ages ago with a ridiculously huge army and forced me to be a tributary but I'm tired of it, dammit. After they invaded me, they went through a golden age that lasted decades, so their armies were even more powerful than normal. Now they are 'stable' but who knows how long that will last. I'd like to wait until they go into disorder or civil war but their stability never ends.

Rirse posted:

What am I doing wrong. Twice when I try to take land from a country I look at their army listing on the land map and it shows them with 500 guys, but when I attack them they suddenly have 2000 people. Where the gently caress are all the guys coming from.

Are they tribal? If so, they can call up special tribal armies if they have enough prestige.

• Locked thread