Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

AnEdgelord posted:

This card makes me extremely worried for the UW(x) decks. Getting your Teferis, Jaces, Searches and Colonnades blown up by one catchall answer is going to be a problem.

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

oh no this means GB/x will have maindeck answers to my Helm of Obedience

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

what don't you like about having a real control deck in the format? You just want to play sideboard roulette and not actually have to think?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

AlternateNu posted:

We’re going to see Abzan Taxes which is just mono-W splashing Trophy for extra fuckery with Leonin Arbitor.

That actually sounds great :getin:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Tim Raines IRL posted:

what don't you like about having a real control deck in the format? You just want to play sideboard roulette and not actually have to think?

Nope I played miracles for years. Besides this can be countered. It's good to force control into having to make decisions against all decks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Lmao that you think this will kill control at all.

Control doesn't like stuff killing their threats, yes, but they grind just as well as Jund does if not better.

If this card does take off and pose a sky-falling threat like the thread thinks all that happens is Miracles shifts to a couple Spell Snare in their counter package.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

TheKingofSprings posted:

Control doesn't like stuff killing their threats, yes, but they grind just as well as Jund does if not better.

If this card does take off and pose a sky-falling threat like the thread thinks all that happens is Miracles shifts to a couple Spell Snare in their counter package.

It's not going to kill control. It will just make it harder for control to stomp GBx midrange.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I didn't say it would; someone else did, and I was responding to the person who implied that was a good thing.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Speaking of which, what beats up on UW control without just losing to other poo poo? It's all over my local meta because store spikes love thinking they are smarter than other people and play control.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I didn't say it would; someone else did, and I was responding to the person who implied that was a good thing.

He didn’t even say it would kill it, you inferred that from the post but all he said in response to it being problematic for Control was “good”.

E: His follow-up post made it even more clear that he just doesn’t want Control to get a free ride (like it currently gets against Jund)!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Even with this card I dont see traditional jund making a comeback. I think its far more likely that either Abzan or some sort of Sultai Shadow list becomes the new hotness for midrange and/or tempo decks.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ShaneB posted:

Speaking of which, what beats up on UW control without just losing to other poo poo? It's all over my local meta because store spikes love thinking they are smarter than other people and play control.

Hollow one, storm.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Hollow one, storm.

Uw control was literally built to beat hollow one. Storm is also not that great against it since they can path all of your mana dudes and counter your key spells.

If you really want to beat UW then the decks you want are Humans and Tron. Humans is pretty much a straight 50-50 from what Ive seen and though UW is better against tron than its ever been Tron is still very much the favorite.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

AnEdgelord posted:

Even with this card I dont see traditional jund making a comeback. I think its far more likely that either Abzan or some sort of Sultai Shadow list becomes the new hotness for midrange and/or tempo decks.

An aggro-ish jund could work. But Sultai shadow or abzan is probably a better bet.

The previous poster saying traditional jund wouldnt get much of a boost is correct.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Me when DRS got banned: Hey maybe legacy will be good again if WotC stops printing BG midrange cards.

WotC: :troll:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

black potus posted:

Me when DRS got banned: Hey maybe legacy will be good again if WotC stops printing BG midrange cards.

WotC: :troll:

This one isn't nearly as bad as DRS.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
There's still a critical mass. Ban fatal push and the entire color green imo.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

black potus posted:

leave sylvan library alone

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

black potus posted:

What GB decks are even left in legacy? The days of sultai and 4 color pile are over, thank god.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

He didn’t even say it would kill it, you inferred that from the post but all he said in response to it being problematic for Control was “good”.

E: His follow-up post made it even more clear that he just doesn’t want Control to get a free ride (like it currently gets against Jund)!

yup, I misinterpreted. I sit corrected.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AnEdgelord posted:

Uw control was literally built to beat hollow one. Storm is also not that great against it since they can path all of your mana dudes and counter your key spells.

If you really want to beat UW then the decks you want are Humans and Tron. Humans is pretty much a straight 50-50 from what Ive seen and though UW is better against tron than its ever been Tron is still very much the favorite.

I dont mean to sound rude but you are incredibly wrong. Humans is a preferred matchup. Hollow one is frustrating and bad. Tron is favored but only slightly these days, not enough to consistently crush control anymore. I've been on control for months and I promise storm and hollow one are bad matchups. I can go into more tomorrow if you want.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I just lost to Enchantress as UW in modern in three highly silly games.

The first game I didn't really know what he was up to but I kept a removal heavy hand, I immediately put him on jank when I saw the 2 or 3 drop that lowers the cost of enchantments. He made a bunch of mana and wasn't doing much so I tapped out for an Entreat to make a 2-turn clock... and he dropped a doomwake giant followed by 3 other enchantments. Game two I ground him out under RiP (he had Whip and Nyx Weaver shenanigans). I also used surgical extraction on a Kruphix's Insight, he pointed out that was probably not a very common interaction.

Game 3 I kept a RiP hand that was probably otherwise too scattered; he made a million mana, drew a million cards, I top decked a terminus when it was literally the only thing that would buy me another turn but he rebuilt immediately. I think he was down to single digit cards in his library, or close to it.

I'm confident that if I played against the deck a whole bunch, the $1000 tier deck has the upper hand, but it was completely hilarious to me and I haven't had that much fun losing a game in a long time. In hindsight tapping out for Entreat was wrong, but I guess I'm just not that good at doing lots of math and anticipating exactly Doomwake Giant into two fertile ground and a mana bloom.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

AnEdgelord posted:

Tron gets quite poo poo on by it. It's easily 55/45 imo.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I don’t think I’ve lost to uw control with mardu pyromancer but I think that’s mostly a function of masses of middling players picking it up in my mediocre meta.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I just lost to Enchantress as UW in modern in three highly silly games.

I played Enchantress for exactly one FNM. Lost to Titanshift, beat my buddy playing my own Mill deck, beat Monowhite Taxes, and lost to Merfolk. Mine was the last match to finish in every round, including going to time against Taxes.I take brief notes of all of my matches and after the first round I just wrote "Wincons?" at the bottom of the page, though I can't recall if it was from not drawing any or not remembering if I had any.

If you really want to play EDH but your store/friend group only does Modern, then you should definitely play Enchantress!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Why am I supposed to hate midrange?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Pontius Pilate posted:

I don’t think I’ve lost to uw control with mardu pyromancer but I think that’s mostly a function of masses of middling players picking it up in my mediocre meta.

This one I've also had issues with, mainly because of how well mardu can rebuild quickly after a wipe and the selective discard. I don't think it's massively advantaged either way but it can definitely grind out game 1 better depending on who gets ahead first.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Star Man posted:

Because it is "just generic good stuff"/"mediocre in all things"/"boring to watch"/"reigned supreme for too long"/"creature based instead of spell based like Richard Garfield, PhD, intended"

Those are the most common reasons I've seen.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

Hate or like whatever you like, people have different tastes

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Pontius Pilate posted:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

This one I've also had issues with, mainly because of how well mardu can rebuild quickly after a wipe and the selective discard. I don't think it's massively advantaged either way but it can definitely grind out game 1 better depending on who gets ahead first.

from the mardu side it feels close to 50-50, maybe with mardu having a slight advantage. the mardu gameplan is much more powerful in a vacuum but if u/w topdecks terminus/baneslayer/teferei/azcanta/etc and you don't have a good follow-up the game just ends.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Star Man posted:

You're not. It's just not supposed to be the only kind of viable deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Highly doubtful, they want emblems to be game-altering, and letting something be removed from exile is a silver border thing.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=74231&type=card

There is a Narset combo deck that plays Pull From Eternity, which moves stuff from exile to the graveyard. (Exile Narset with Serum Powder, use Goryo’s to reanimate her, then use her ability to cast Enter the Infinite and a bunch of other wacky poo poo).

But emblems are in the Command Zone.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Assassin's Trophy is a good card but UW is still going to beat BGx by suspending Ancestral on t1 or by casting the magic card Spell Snare. Especially if Jund gets to be actually popular, UW can just up their Ancestral count and BGx has a really hard time dealing with it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

But emblems are in the Command Zone.

great, all we're missing is a way to turn your emblem into a Commander and then you can cast it off a command tower

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Modern Brew Time!

I'm going back to an old favorite of mine that saw flash-in-the-pan play for about two tournaments a little after it's release but quickly fell off: Pyromancer's Goggles!
This biggest recent change since the last time I tried to brew with it is the advent of Chandra, Torch. She lets you ramp into Goggles on curve and nominally gives you three mana to play off of to copy a business spell.

Initial thoughts are revolving around the Mono-R prison shell. This comes out to something like this:
2 Abrade
3 Anger of the Gods
4 Blood Moon
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Manamorphose
3 Pyromancer's Goggles
2 Tormenting Voice
22 Lands

This gives me 8 slots for finisher/"business" spells to abuse with the Goggles, and I'm looking for recommendations. Other options include
1. -3 x Anger of the Gods, +4 x Young Peezy for a go wide strategy
2. Splash U for Thing in the Ice, Electrolyze, and "better" card filtering.
3. Splash B for Kolaghan's Command, Terminate/Dreadbore, and discard options.
4. Splash W for Lightning Helix, Path, a super sideboard, and comedy option Heroic Reinforcements.

Thoughts?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 15, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Blightning and Rakdos's Return. If you're gonna jank, go full jank.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

I'm leaning that way as well. I feel like there are more spells worth copying in BR than in UR or WR, and black is a pretty good sideboard color. Would more rituals help as well?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

suicidesteve posted:

C-Euro posted:

I'm leaning that way as well. I feel like there are more spells worth copying in BR than in UR or WR, and black is a pretty good sideboard color. Would more rituals help as well?

Hah. I'd rather put 4 Kolaghan's Commands and a couple Banefire in before I go the Blightning/Rakdos's Return route. I do agree R/b is the best splash, though.

The best part is I can cast Cruel Ultimatum with no U sources so long as I can get a Manamorphose off beforehand. :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So has anyone tried to port spirits to legacy? I'm thinking the green isn't necessary but idk. I've tried in the past but it ended up just being a bad combination of Miracles and D&T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What are the Riders of Gavony I'm seeing in Human SB for?