Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Every Marine an infantryman, every Marine a rotary pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That's a very credible reproduction of a Frank Piasecki fever dream circa 1947.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I was thinking the CGI russian killdrones from that one companies advertising videos, but built by actual humans.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That doesn't have nearly enough absurdly complicated mechanisms emerging from the Nth dimension to be a Dahir Insaat creation.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Fender Anarchist posted:

That doesn't have nearly enough absurdly complicated mechanisms emerging from the Nth dimension to be a Dahir Insaat creation.

Thanks, I couldn't remember the name of the company.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ardeem posted:

I was thinking the CGI russian killdrones from that one companies advertising videos, but built by actual humans.

Turkish, actually. :cryingerdogan:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Also here is a buttload of HD video of Hornets and Freedom Fighters firing guns, dropping flares, doing low passes and poo poo in the Swiss Alps. The video is some seriously nice work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rVXMyo8iwI

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Vahakyla posted:

Also here is a buttload of HD video of Hornets and Freedom Fighters firing guns, dropping flares, doing low passes and poo poo in the Swiss Alps. The video is some seriously nice work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rVXMyo8iwI
Pretty sure this is a repost from several years back but it’s still good.

The lame cannon sounds got me wondering - is there any modern HD footage of a WWII plane firing guns while flying? For that matter, are there any vintage/restored WW2 planes that have operational weapons or is that simply not legally possible?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Stumbled up this on youtube. Xplane 11 video with a few add-ons. It's probably the most incredible video I've seen of any flight simulator.

https://youtu.be/0ftzrcv_GHY

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

david_a posted:

Pretty sure this is a repost from several years back but it’s still good.

The lame cannon sounds got me wondering - is there any modern HD footage of a WWII plane firing guns while flying? For that matter, are there any vintage/restored WW2 planes that have operational weapons or is that simply not legally possible?

This should answer both, although I assume they are firing blanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO3gE7VA0Hs

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

BadOptics posted:

Every Marine an infantryman, every Marine a rotary pilot.

It's time to think outside the box. Because Christ alive I do not want to be inside that box.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It it’s range measured in feet?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

slidebite posted:

Stumbled up this on youtube. Xplane 11 video with a few add-ons. It's probably the most incredible video I've seen of any flight simulator.

https://youtu.be/0ftzrcv_GHY

They forgot to put in waiting for a gate for the next half hour.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Mazz posted:

It it’s range measured in feet?

Just get two of them and fit a buddy refueling system. Problem solved #semperfi.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

vessbot posted:

Though it would be hilarious if a simulator included things like no gates available and sorry, there's no ground crews available at this time, we'll get one out to you as soon as one comes available.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

X-Plane How Fast Airline Travel Could Really Be

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

Though it would be hilarious if a simulator included things like no gates available and sorry, there's no ground crews available at this time, we'll get one out to you as soon as one comes available.

If there could only be a way to simulate that it's day 4 and your commute is parked at the next gate over.

But serious talk, I'm sure there is a demographic that would go for that. I forgot if it was in this thread or the other one, where people were talking about people doing real time ocean crossing flights (and real time submarine patrols :wtc:)

vessbot fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 9, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vessbot posted:

Theres also a cloud over NYC and they didn't appear to be holding for an hour?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

david_a posted:

For that matter, are there any vintage/restored WW2 planes that have operational weapons or is that simply not legally possible?

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/10/21/restored-p-51-mustang-real-browning-m2-50cal-machine-guns/

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
AN-225 is landing at OAK in about an hour, leaving tomorrow morning early.

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1038804736798015488?s=21

I really wish I could get over to see it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What mentally deranged person in the USSR came up with the idea that cockpits should be that colour?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PT6A posted:

What mentally deranged person in the USSR came up with the idea that cockpits should be that colour?

Comrade Ilyushin's brother in law administered the paint factory that only made that colour paint (a byproduct of various nuclear testing programs).

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Supposedly it's supposed to be easy on the eyes and prevent fatigue, but that feels like one of those ditties going around with questionable basis in reality.

Also the DC-9 cockpit is that color.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

vessbot posted:

Supposedly it's supposed to be easy on the eyes and prevent fatigue, but that feels like one of those ditties going around with questionable basis in reality.

Also the DC-9 cockpit is that color.

You know that old story of how Boeing wanted Soviet titanium expertise and the Soviets wanted to know how hang engines under wing, so they set up a secret meeting between a couple of engineers at a bar and they shared knowledge literally on the back of napkins?
Well Douglas was the same only they traded their sideways mounting tech for that wicked paint.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Finger Prince posted:

You know that old story of how Boeing wanted Soviet titanium expertise and the Soviets wanted to know how hang engines under wing, so they set up a secret meeting between a couple of engineers at a bar and they shared knowledge literally on the back of napkins?
Well Douglas was the same only they traded their sideways mounting tech for that wicked paint.

um could you link an article or anything of the like? That is 100 percent my kind of poo poo to read.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

um could you link an article or anything of the like? That is 100 percent my kind of poo poo to read.

Joe Sutter talks about it in his 747 book. Boeing engineering met with Russian engineers at a restaurant to discuss exactly that. It's a good read, if a bit rose-colored glasses in feel. I enjoyed it, though.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Preoptopus posted:

https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/the-titanium-gambit-3804526/

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Ahhhhh thats the stuff. ty And yea I need that book.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 10, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
ATC and video of the An-225 at Oakland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFwQiaH5ZsU

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

BIG HEADLINE posted:

ATC and video of the An-225 at Oakland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFwQiaH5ZsU

Every time I see pictures of the An-225 it reminds me of something I would have doodled as a kid. "More engines!"

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
How long is the An-225 going to last before it wears out?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

david_a posted:

How long is the An-225 going to last before it wears out?

That's not the right question to be asking. What you should be asking is "is the An-225 still operating?". The answer is another question: "are there still operationally ready B-52s?"

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
They were talking about building another one with a partially finished one still in storage.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

That's not the right question to be asking. What you should be asking is "is the An-225 still operating?". The answer is another question: "are there still operationally ready B-52s?"

There are dozens of B-52 sorties a week, so sounds like a yes!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Finger Prince posted:

Yes, but the B-52s can’t carry as much payload as when they were new due to fatigue, right? They’re also part of a military supply chain that can practically ignore maintenance/running costs.

How long does a air freighter normally last? Say a 747.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

david_a posted:

Yes, but the B-52s can’t carry as much payload as when they were new due to fatigue, right? They’re also part of a military supply chain that can practically ignore maintenance/running costs.

A normal 747 freighter? As long as it's profitable. A freighter that's a product of soviet/russian/Ukrainian engineering and maintenance, in a lax regulatory environment? How much sheet metal and baling twine you got?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Most commercial jets go 20-25 years in revenue service from construction to scrapping. Freighters tend to go a bit longer, maybe 30 or 35 years. Heavy checks start to get significantly more expensive after that, in addition to the economic benefits of newer models.

Thing with the AN-225 is that it is a unique capability. As long as nothing competes with it in outsize or ultra-heavy air freight, it will probably continue to be profitable, even when the heavy maintenance checks begin turning up major discrepancies.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I'm going to guess in this case the life of the AN-225 will be 1 fewer landings than takeoffs.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

david_a posted:

They carry more now than originally, mostly due to in the 1940s when they were first being designed our modeling was a lot more basic and we know the true limits now. The maintenance and operating costs are actually pretty comparative to other bombers since a lot of the high failure stuff has been replaced with modern equivalents, but there is still the occasional thing where no only does no one make that particular part, but the entire industry that made and used them went extinct 30 years ago, like vacuum tubes for example.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

StandardVC10 posted:

It's time to think outside the box. Because Christ alive I do not want to be inside that box.

So, um...you get in it but it is a ROV?