Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

willroc7 posted:

There is a healthy number of players currently stuck on PUBG and fortnite on PC that blackout could draw from. I don't think that was the case for the earlier releases you're citing.

If they sold just the BR game as a standalone for pc I'd be there but I have no interest in the rest of blackops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

willroc7 posted:

There is a healthy number of players currently stuck on PUBG and fortnite on PC that blackout could draw from. I don't think that was the case for the earlier releases you're citing.

Exactly, there must be tons of PC players who have been waiting for something to come out and do "PUBG but technically great". I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I wouldn't be surprised if this became at least a moderate hit on PC.

Edit: Also, seconding the above ^

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Blackout looks very arcadey to me. The movement is way more fast paced. Everyone is constantly bunny hopping and sliding around. I haven't played a CoD since 2 released. But I constantly hear complaints about rampant cheating whenever a new one is released on PC.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

willroc7 posted:

I don't think that was the case for the earlier releases you're citing.

Infinite Warfare multiplayer on PC pulled in a whole 15,000 average during it's release month and dropped to 5,000 the next month. Black Ops III pulled in 35,000 for it's release month and dropped to 13,000 within six months. Advanced Warfare pulled in 20,000 for it's release month and dropped to 6,000 in 4 months. Ghosts was 20,000 and dropped to 6,000 six months later.

I can keep going.. but I think you get my point. Those are horrible numbers for a game where you need 80 people to play a game. CoD is a heavily biased console game that has never had a large multiplayer base on the PC. I hope that can change with this game, because it looks fun. But, CoD is a console game at heart.

Things they are doing differently this time: They gave blizzard the rights to distribution and they don't seem to be using the word "port" as much. Maybe they are trying to hit that multiplayer PC market in a different way this time. I hope so!

Also also: This is PUBG + CoD arcade/gimmicks. This is not "PUBG but technically great." PUBG but technically great wouldn't have monkey bombs, shooting people underwater, ray guns, grapple+hooking to rocks, etc. Don't get me wrong, it looks very fun. It definitely seems like they hit the basics of PUBG (which is good!), and then CoD'ed it up.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 11, 2018

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

calusari posted:

Blackout looks very arcadey to me. The movement is way more fast paced. Everyone is constantly bunny hopping and sliding around. I haven't played a CoD since 2 released. But I constantly hear complaints about rampant cheating whenever a new one is released on PC.

on modern warfare 3 release night, all of my buddies used cheatengine to set our exp to max and our prestige to 20 or something by editing values in ram. The highest normally atainable prestige at the time was 10, upping the cap to 20 was something they did later on. that should not be possible, player level should not be a local editable variable that the server just accepts ever. we never got banned or delevelled. unless things changed, they don't give a single gently caress about pc.

e: its not like this was hard either, you play a round, then use cheatengine to search for memory values that are equal to how much exp you earned. you then play another round and check the memory locations from last round to see which one changed to have your new exp. you then just click edit and set it to some insanely high number and the game will just accept it and display your level as 80 with the max prestige, all the guns and golden skins will be unlocked. there are no server side checks whatsoever. If level hacking is that easy, then how hard can it be to hack anything else? I doubt they've changed much since mw3.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 11, 2018

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
It does say a lot that the most action this thread has gotten in a long time is discussing another game.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

willroc7 posted:

It does say a lot that the most action this thread has gotten in a long time is discussing another game.

I'm always here to talk about this current game :D I still play a ton and have fun doing it. Sorry I haven't been able to get any games in with you lately. A couple more of my REAL LIFE friends have gotten into the game lately and I'm trying to teach them the ways.

That being said, the big training mode patch is going live tonight. 5 hours of down time.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1688176458556055033

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

underage at the vape shop posted:

on modern warfare 3 release night, all of my buddies used cheatengine to set our exp to max and our prestige to 20 or something by editing values in ram. The highest normally atainable prestige at the time was 10, upping the cap to 20 was something they did later on. that should not be possible, player level should not be a local editable variable that the server just accepts ever. we never got banned or delevelled. unless things changed, they don't give a single gently caress about pc.

e: its not like this was hard either, you play a round, then use cheatengine to search for memory values that are equal to how much exp you earned. you then play another round and check the memory locations from last round to see which one changed to have your new exp. you then just click edit and set it to some insanely high number and the game will just accept it and display your level as 80 with the max prestige, all the guns and golden skins will be unlocked. there are no server side checks whatsoever. If level hacking is that easy, then how hard can it be to hack anything else? I doubt they've changed much since mw3.

I downloaded mw2 on a free weekend, joined a server and instantly unlocked everything, and the game is still in my library lol

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'm always here to talk about this current game :D I still play a ton and have fun doing it. Sorry I haven't been able to get any games in with you lately. A couple more of my REAL LIFE friends have gotten into the game lately and I'm trying to teach them the ways.

That being said, the big training mode patch is going live tonight. 5 hours of down time.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1688176458556055033

No worries mate. Maybe after the update (read: later in the week) we'll link up! In the mean time, have a clip from one of our 3 wins last night:

https://clips.twitch.tv/CleverNurturingFriseeSSSsss

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

My only issue with this is, will PC actually have a base? CoD games since like, CoD4 have been historically extremely console based with very little support and/or player base for the PC. The most recent one, WWII, sold 1% of it's overall total copies to PC players. Multiplayer average players went from 20,500 during release month to 7,500 in two months. That's.... not good.

That being said, I had a ton of fun watching it. It stayed true to the battle royale mode of PUBG and added the gimmicky/arcadey stuff that CoD has been known for. It seems like a fun game. Just worried about the player base.

I think all signs point to yes here. First, it's a BR, and it's one where it sits right in between Fortnite and PUBG where it's arcadey shooting but no building and no looney tunes. There's definitely an appetite for a more streamlined BR shooter. (and no, Islands of Nyne is not it lol) People were going out of their way to download Chinese and Thai clients just to play Ring of Elysium to scratch that itch.

It looks like Activision knows this and there seems to be more of a PC focus this time around. The Black Ops 4 PC beta ran well and wasn't lacking any PC specific graphic settings like other lovely ports. The devs keep making it a point that this isn't a typical bad PC port, so maybe they aren't completely lying this time, but we'll see.

It's also a Call of Duty BR, so it already has an actual hook to get people to try and to keep them in. That's something games like Realm Royale, IoN and Culling 2 will never have.

Honestly the only thing that'll probably hurt the success of this is Activision not making it a standalone purchase to protect their COD product this year. After playing it a ton last night, it's a lot closer to PUBG than it is to COD. I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised. Hopefully they don't gently caress up the looting UI on the PC version though. That poo poo is a pain in the rear end on console.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I'm looking forward to the COD PC beta later this week and I hope it's actually good, but I'm very concerned about Activision's ability to make a COD game viable on PC given their history, because I'm definitely not playing this on console. PUBG and Fortnite have certainly paved the way for a COD BR to be successful, but it's still going to be an uphill battle to steal enough PC players to build and sustain the kind of base you need for an 80+ player BR to work.

The two biggest challenges I see are...

1) UI. COD hasn't really ever had to worry about a BR style UI for quickly looting and modifying equipment, so I hope they've really put some effort into how this will work on PC. It's always going to be clunky on a controller, but if they don't utilize the advantages of KB/M for the PC port, this could be a big problem.

2) Cheating. COD has a poo poo history of preventing cheating on PC, mostly because they're overwhelmingly console focused games, so who cares if a handful of the 50 players on PC are cheating? This game will tank hard if they don't step up here. It's still the biggest issue I have with PUBG and Bluehole has put a ton of effort and resources towards combatting cheating, which has resulted in a dramatic decline in how frequently I run into obvious cheaters.

Everything else about making a good BR game is easy enough for them to just copy/steal from PUBG.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I think they might be able to pull some players from Fortnite, but I think most of the Pubg players who would be drawn to the COD'd style of Pubg have already moved on to Fortnite.

The arcadey style of gameplay in the cod games do not scratch the same itch that pubg does.

Essentially none of the people in the circles I run in are at all interested in the game. Most seem to be looking forward to what the Battlefield BR will look like.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Not to continue the derail any further, but I'll just say that if they get the UI and PC mechanics right, it'll be the #2 BR game in the market. The rest of us are probably just going to check in to PUBG once in awhile to check out the new snow map or some poo poo.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I think you are simplifying things. Maybe BR popularity has died down in general. To all of a sudden pull an average of 500k players specifically for BR mode on CoD for the PC would be an insane projection. If it happens, good for CoD, they made a great mode. But man, that's a huge jump from anything they have ever done on PC at all. I definitely think it will have a successful PC release and the numbers online will probably be the best they've ever had.

I'll probably be the one waiting to see if they can sustain it so I don't waste my money on game that I can't find a game for in 3 months. The only other game mode I enjoy from CoD is S&D and cs:go scratches my itch for that.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

In streamer news, someone apparently shot Dr Disrespect's house today. And shot at it yesterday too. That's nuts.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

You Am I posted:

The Oceania servers have been absolute trash the past three weeks, with 18+ minute wait times between games. But I haven't see any Twitter outrage about this. Are Aussie/NZ goons seeing these issues?

OCE servers are dead and have been for months.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

In streamer news, someone apparently shot Dr Disrespect's house today. And shot at it yesterday too. That's nuts.

Glocktor Disrespect indeed.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Flea Bargain posted:

OCE servers are dead and have been for months.

They probably are now but a dude from bluehole did an impromptu qanda on an oce reddit discord and said their matchmaking is to blame because the map selection is done really badly. He basically said that if you do t have immense numbers to throw at it, its gunna break.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Apogee15 posted:

I think they might be able to pull some players from Fortnite, but I think most of the Pubg players who would be drawn to the COD'd style of Pubg have already moved on to Fortnite.

The arcadey style of gameplay in the cod games do not scratch the same itch that pubg does.

Essentially none of the people in the circles I run in are at all interested in the game. Most seem to be looking forward to what the Battlefield BR will look like.

FWIW, I think this is totally wrong.

I've put a shitload of hours into PUBG and bounced off of Fortnite pretty hard, which is the same as the couple dozen other guys I routinely play games with. Based on what we've seen so far, all of us are intrigued at the potential for Blackout being a better BR game than PUBG is and have almost no expectations that BFV's BR mode will be any good.

Point is, Blackout looks way more like a rip-off of PUBG than it does Fortnite and the only chance it has of surviving (on PC) is if it can syphon off enough PUBG players. COD is arcadey, but it appears that they were smart enough to take 90% of that crap out for Blackout for exactly that reason.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
With the new patch dropping there is a new event going on right? Going to be interesting to see how many people the open PC beta siphons off this weekend.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
To what extent has the goon playerbase dropped off?

I got bored of the game a while back, when getting people together was already getting difficult due to low numbers of active goons in the discord, and having looked in the discord more recently, at various times of day, there only ever seems to be 2-3 playing at most but usually there is nobody.

Did the goon playerbase just drop off below the threshold where it appears to be too hard to get a game together so nobody bothers anymore or is it a wider problem with the non-chinese playerbase, where most of the player drop-off is with the people who got sick of bumping into laggy or cheating players and moved on to fortnite?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Peak concurrent players have been dropping under 1 million as of late. Game is dying.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I stopped playing when the desync and sound issues became too much to ignore. The last straw was a few months ago, when I was in the northwest room of the big building at Water Treatment, looking out a window and sniping someone on the big cylinder. I heard someone crouchwalking behind me in the northernmost room. I went out to try to catch them, but they weren't in that room - they were standing running in the drat hallway and I died horribly. Looking at the replay there's zero reason for any sound cues to play from that direction, nor any reason for me to hear a crouch-walk shuffle sound, so I was just off it.

I've been doing custom games whenever Chocotaco hosts them, and I haven't had any specifically identifiable sound issues, but the desync is atrocious. I don't feel like playing a shooter game where I can just walk in and murder someone and there's literally no way they could have done anything about it because I killed them before I appeared on their screen. It just turns the game into a farce.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

You Am I posted:

The Oceania servers have been absolute trash the past three weeks, with 18+ minute wait times between games. But I haven't see any Twitter outrage about this. Are Aussie/NZ goons seeing these issues?

Yeah, they're basically unusable. Have to play on SEA.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
In what scenarios are you guys experiencing game altering desync in the most recent builds of PUBG? I can barely remember any issues in the last couple of months

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Never. (EU FPP).
I've seen some pretty terrible teleporting for american streamers, though.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

The Mash posted:

In what scenarios are you guys experiencing game altering desync in the most recent builds of PUBG? I can barely remember any issues in the last couple of months

Happens consistently on NA FPP. Especially if you hot drop. Getting shot behind a wall is the norm at this point. Or mag dumping on a dude, dying to what looks like one shot, then the death cam shows only one of the multiple hits you saw connecting, while the enemy scores 4 on you (that you never saw).

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 12, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think PUBG has a base of players that Blackout can't draw from. Namely third person only players, which is apparently a metric poo poo ton of players. I haven't seen any third person options for Blackout, and people are stubborn for their modes. The BF V BR stuff looks like it's 4 person squads only, I haven't seen any word on solo matches or duos which are, afaik, the most popular modes today.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Happens consistently on NA FPP. Especially if you hot drop. Getting shot behind a wall is the norm at this point. Or mag dumping on a dude, dying to what looks like one shot, then the death cam shows only one of the multiple hits you saw connecting, while the enemy scores 4 on you (that you never saw).

The death cams are always out of sync and aren't really directly indicative of anything that happens in-game. (For example, leans don't happen in first-person so if you leaned around a corner to shoot someone it just looks like you're unloading into a wall.)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

VulgarandStupid posted:

Peak concurrent players have been dropping under 1 million as of late. Game is dying.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Pubg includes china numbers and most game dont

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

That's the steam stats page so no, it doesn't include players on chinese pubg

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

also, that doesn't matter

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I was enjoying the new training mode until I realized that daily average player counts was on a negative trend!

NOW I HATE THIS GAME.

I think PUBG has as much to fear from COD BR as CSGO does, which is, for a bit it'll siphon off players and it'll motivate them to make some more improvements.

The problem to me is that the big games HAVE to release new versions each year and HAVE to have game modes for everyone. Even if they sell a ton of copies, thats a 1 year shelf life spread over a dozen+ modes. Those that enjoy the various aspects of BR games with a 'realistic' shooter theme will end up back with PUBG.

Oh, and snow map. Don't forget snow map!

FunOne fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 12, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

china numbers are included for every game if it's being played through steam, if chinese players are using an external launcher (which is common-ish afaik) it won't be counted

so at the bare minimum all the valve games there are also including china numbers

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I only play games that have the highest number of viewers on Twitch and concurrent player numbers according to Steam. I don't want to be seen playing games that are so 2017.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

pocket pool posted:

The death cams are always out of sync and aren't really directly indicative of anything that happens in-game. (For example, leans don't happen in first-person so if you leaned around a corner to shoot someone it just looks like you're unloading into a wall.)

Thank you, I know. What I mean is, on your screen you hit a man 5 times, but on his you only hit him once. And the wall thing is you get clearly behind a wall and then the guy you were fighting still hits or kills you.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Patch notes for dead game

quote:

Added a Network Information function that can display Ping, connection speed, packets, and packet loss.

Dang I didn't know this was a thing, this is awesome.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Are Activision just going to patch in all the ideas that get put into PUBG first, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

No Safe Word posted:

Patch notes for dead game

Dang I didn't know this was a thing, this is awesome.

I get like a 5 ping to the servers are zero packet losses. This just means the actual game is broke as poo poo even more than I thought if the servers are rendering everything properly (I think). :D