Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

WHY BONER NOW posted:

They're both on the 3ds eshop! If you can look me in the eye and tell me they're worth 2.99 and 3.99 respectively, I'll pull the trigger.

GB 4 and 5 are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Star Man posted:

It's not at all annoying when you have the infinite metal glitch. But we don't this time.

It's amazing that they can fix that and still not put in an option to disable or make optional Alia's calls in X5.

Now that's evil for you.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Screaming Idiot posted:

I finally got the MM11 demo and it's... okay? I'll break down the negatives first, then the positives, then finish with my subjective not-at-all-objective opinion that represents what I and only I think.

The Bad
The voice acting is bad. I'm not expecting Saints Row- or Nier-level voicework, mind, but this is still pretty painful to listen to and will probably be forever muted. Megaman's death scream is especially annoying.

The graphics are okay, but I wish they'd have went with hand-drawn sprites instead of 3D models since some of them look a little flat and jaggy -- MMX8 has better models, and it's a PS2 game. The backgrounds are pretty enough, but they contrast with the 3D elements. Also, 2.5D just doesn't feel good for Megaman; never has, never will. It looked good on Youtube, but I agree with the poster that said the whole thing just looks flat.

The Gear system isn't that fun and Double Gear is too gimmicky to be of any real use and feels mostly unnecessary -- they fill niches that would have been better served by master weapons and purchasable upgrades. Maybe they'll be more useful in the full game, but as shown in the demo they're tedious, and I'll never not hate any "bullet time" ability that slows you down too.

The Good
The music is good, though. Not as good some of the other games in the series, but it's pleasantly bouncy and upbeat. It's not super-memorable, but it fits the aesthetic to a T and I'll be looking forward to remixes on down the road.

The graphical style is good. The Robot Masters look pretty great -- except for Bounceman, oh my god, I have never hated a design more than Bounceman -- and Blockman's stage is both thematic and well-designed. I didn't care for Megaman's "transformations" when he switches weapons, but most people will probably dig them so I'm lumping them as a positive.

The gameplay is solid, although it feels slightly "off" somehow -- like when getting hit you lose control just a picosecond longer than in the other games, and there's just a hair's breadth of a cooldown between firing a charge shot and being able to shoot again. Maybe it's just me, but it's noticeable.

And The Stupid
In conclusion? It's fine. It's not what it should be, but it's better than what we've had. I'm gonna pre-order when I get paid since it's a new Megaman game, but there's a part of me that feels like MM11 is trying to be what MN9 so desperately wanted to be and failed so, so hard at being, and that part of me feels like MM11 might miss that mark too, although the margin will be nowhere near as wide.

EDIT: You can also scare metools out of hiding by shooting them with a fully charged shot and make them vulnerable. Should I be charmed by their wide-eyed expression of shock and betrayal, or incensed that they have blasphemed against the tried-and-true metool technique? I'm gonna be up all night debating this. I am torn. I am torn.
But how do you feel about the doors leading to the Robot Master???

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Block Man’s voice clips are great and I genuinely can’t wait to hear all the puns and what not that the bosses yell out during the fights.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

XavierGenisi posted:

Block Man’s voice clips are great and I genuinely can’t wait to hear all the puns and what not that the bosses yell out during the fights.

Fuse Man: "Prepare to Diode.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

XavierGenisi posted:

:yeah:

I didn't like Mega Man's voice but Block Man's was great. It's probably how MM8 was supposed to be if those voices weren't hilarious for other reasons.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The Merkinman posted:

But how do you feel about the doors leading to the Robot Master???

ABSOLUTELY LIVID

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My take on the demo:

-Controls feel good and in general the action and level design feel like proper Mega Man.
-I found the level music really bland and I hope the whole soundtrack isn't like that.
-The actual boss fight was fun. I appreciate that they brought a new gimmick in to it without making the boss fights feel incredibly long.

Overall I think this game will be good, I look forward to the full release.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I am honestly very surprised at how much I am enjoying the demo.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Complaints:
-Knockback could be the same as the last several games, but the way you fly backwards is annoying
-Screenshake. Go away forever.
-The drop rate for health in the demo was annoying for learning the level
-The spacing of checkpoints vs. death pits and Ninja Gaiden falcons better be for artificially extending the demo
-Oh look, at the peak of the Bosses 2nd phase walk you're like 1 pixel short of hitting him :rolleyes: (I'm still in an MMX mindset where you just wall cling and shoot fuckers)
Iffy:
Playing on the little Switch controllers felt weird; kept tapping the gear modes and screwing up after.

Is there a way to easily bait out Blockman's ground sweep during his second phase? Otherwise the AI could easily trap you against the wall and just slap the poo poo out of you until dead.

Three weeks to go to the day. If the whole game is this vicious for checkpoints and health drops, I'm gonna speculate low-70s review scores and smug "git gud" responses to anyone who says the game is too hard. I on the other hand will be crying about my fading reflexes and sore thumbs/wrists.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Is there an announcer constantly yelling GOOD! GREAT! as you kill enemies? This is an important purchase factor.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

DizzyBum posted:

Is there an announcer constantly yelling GOOD! GREAT! as you kill enemies? This is an important purchase factor.

What it really needs is a combo system that has no actual mechanical purpose but there's an achievement for getting a 999 combo for some reason.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nep-Nep posted:

What it really needs is a combo system that has no actual mechanical purpose but there's an achievement for getting a 999 combo for some reason.

the easiest way to do that is hold down autofire and stand next to a met

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I had no problem with Mega Man's voice. I'm glad they didn't go the MM8 route with the stupid baby voice.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MM8 has some of the most baffling voice acting I ever heard in a game. Even for late 90s, it’s incredibly bad.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

The Human Crouton posted:

I had no problem with Mega Man's voice. I'm glad they didn't go the MM8 route with the stupid baby voice.

Even now, I'm still mad they did that with X in X4.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Beat the demo. It's amazing how much everything is more convenient.

Rush on a button, nice.
Being able to swap weapons with just a flick, nice.
Gears not being required and being able to beat stages without them, nice.
Autofire/slide can be bound to their own buttons, nice.
Being able to play around with/fiddle with weapons rather than just a cutscene, NICE.

Difficulty levels really only seem to affect damage values. Maybe this is just the demo but after I beat it on Normal I went back through on Newcomer and I noticed very little difference in enemy placement/traps.
The double gear system honestly feels like something to ease in newcomers with, it's interesting but not really needed at all and I safely went through the stage without bothering with it. Power Gear seems like it's better for weapons than for the Buster, for the Buster it just seems better to use Speed gear and gatling everything.
Sliding is really, really annoying to do manually. I'm not sure if I'm not used to the Switch controller (I got it just today) but doing the down-jump input is a huge pain. But the ability to assign a dedicated slide button kind of makes it a moot point, so whatever.
Dunno if I was in WOW COOL IT'S MEGAMAN WHIZZ BANG SHOOTY PEW PEW mode the whole time but I didn't really get to hear the music. It was just, well, there. I know some people say the only good music is NES music, but I think MM7 had a really nice soundtrack so who knows.

Anyway, I think it's cool, thanks for reading my opinion, cya.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 12, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hey Capcom, can I get a Megaman Legends Collection? Or maybe Command Mission which for some reason isnt part of the X collection?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mega Man Remainders Collection

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TerminusEst13 posted:

Beat the demo. It's amazing how much everything is more convenient.

Rush on a button, nice.
Being able to swap weapons with just a flick, nice.
Gears not being required and being able to beat stages without them, nice.
Autofire/slide can be bound to their own buttons, nice.
Being able to play around with/fiddle with weapons rather than just a cutscene, NICE.

Difficulty levels really only seem to affect damage values. Maybe this is just the demo but after I beat it on Normal I went back through on Newcomer and I noticed very little difference in enemy placement/traps.

Doesn't Newcomer mode also give you unlimited lives/Beat Calls/damage buffers for spikes or is that the case for all difficulties in the demo version?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Barudak posted:

Hey Capcom, can I get a Megaman Legends Collection?

You will get ports of the games with that awful smoothing filter. The Switch version will use the Mega Man 64 port of MML1; the others will use the PC port. The main selling point within the fandom will be the restoration of all of the PocketStation mini-games in The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, but you'll have to unlock them.

Mega Man Legends 3 will be represented by unlockable trailers, and Gallery image descriptions will imply that Legends 3 could still happen by saying "The adventures of MegaMan Volnutt aren't over!" and giving you design artwork of Barrett, Aero, and a design for Roll that we've never seen before.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Takoluka posted:

You will get ports of the games with that awful smoothing filter. The Switch version will use the Mega Man 64 port of MML1; the others will use the PC port. The main selling point within the fandom will be the restoration of all of the PocketStation mini-games in The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, but you'll have to unlock them.

Mega Man Legends 3 will be represented by unlockable trailers, and Gallery image descriptions will imply that Legends 3 could still happen by saying "The adventures of MegaMan Volnutt aren't over!" and giving you design artwork of Barrett, Aero, and a design for Roll that we've never seen before.

Sold.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Larryb posted:

Doesn't Newcomer mode also give you unlimited lives/Beat Calls/damage buffers for spikes or is that the case for all difficulties in the demo version?

Looks like it does, my mistake.
It also gives you six(!) shots on the screen at once instead of three.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
What do y'all think are the odds are of getting a new MMX game if MM11 does well?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised. The problem is, Capcom notoriously used to define a game 'doing well' with numbers that any sane publisher would think were off by at least an order of magnitude. Maybe things have changed since then, though?

That's some rad Devil art.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised. The problem is, Capcom notoriously used to define a game 'doing well' with numbers that any sane publisher would think were off by at least an order of magnitude. Maybe things have changed since then, though?

That's some rad Devil art.

Capcom exec: "With the success of Monster Hunter World, any game that doesn't pull those numbers is a failure."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Capcom has almost always had unrealistic expectations regarding their games and will often times cancel a project at the slightest excuse (such as Legends 3 where they didn't even publicly release the demo they made and then blamed "lack of fan interest" for the death of the project). I hope MM11 does well and it leads to a revival of the franchise but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The last few MMX games were failures. MMX8 was okay, but X6 and X7 were bad games. But MM11 is shaping up to be pretty good, so I'd like to see the team tackle an MMX game.

Also, I just finished playing through MM9 again, and wow, while it's nowhere near as garbage-fire as MMX7, it's still rife with problems. The last Wily gauntlet, the lack of charge shots and slides, and the obvious nostalgia-touches put me off. While I don't expect anyone to share my feelings on it, I have to say that MM9 is a very middle-of-the-road MM game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Screaming Idiot posted:

The last few MMX games were failures. MMX8 was okay, but X6 and X7 were bad games. But MM11 is shaping up to be pretty good, so I'd like to see the team tackle an MMX game.

Also, I just finished playing through MM9 again, and wow, while it's nowhere near as garbage-fire as MMX7, it's still rife with problems. The last Wily gauntlet, the lack of charge shots and slides, and the obvious nostalgia-touches put me off. While I don't expect anyone to share my feelings on it, I have to say that MM9 is a very middle-of-the-road MM game.

I'm kind of with you on this. I honestly like MM9, but I think that people's opinions are gilded due to it being the first "official" MM game after so many years. I can understand critics of the charge shot because it often doesn't have enough drawbacks to offset is power, but taking out the slide is just bollocks. Frankly, I had much more fun with 10 and its three distinct characters, but the "shine was off the apple" by then as my late grandfather might have said, and I am convinced that people liked it less because it was simply less new. Every time people criticize 10, the only thing that they can seem to bloody think of is Sheep Man's weapon, which was admittedly very badly implemented, but it's only one sub-weapon.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

It would be helpful if "MM2 is the best game" was something Capcom stopped listening to.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I can totally understand people not liking the admittedly OP charge shot in MM5 since it was literally better than any other weapon, but MM9 tried way too hard to be MM2 and was annoyingly difficult.

Takoluka posted:

It would be helpful if "MM2 is the best game" was something Capcom stopped listening to.

Yeah, this. MM2 was when the game really started getting good, but that doesn't mean we want it over and over again.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Capcom has almost always had unrealistic expectations regarding their games and will often times cancel a project at the slightest excuse (such as Legends 3 where they didn't even publicly release the demo they made and then blamed "lack of fan interest" for the death of the project). I hope MM11 does well and it leads to a revival of the franchise but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Let’s be real here, Legends 3 was a passion project for Inafune who admitted that it probably wasn’t going to bring in any money, so when he left the company, they wouldn’t have any obligation to follow through with it or Inafune’s proposal to hire him and his company on as outside contractors to finish up.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I thought they were making noise about 'well we're considering doing X9' the moment the X collections came out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

I can totally understand people not liking the admittedly OP charge shot in MM5 since it was literally better than any other weapon, but MM9 tried way too hard to be MM2 and was annoyingly difficult.

Yeah, this. MM2 was when the game really started getting good, but that doesn't mean we want it over and over again.

I really really don't get the 'annoyingly difficult' thing. I replayed the entire series when the Legacy collection came out and MM9 is by far one of the easiest games in the series, partially due to some minor polishing from NES era hit detection and such and partially just because.. it's easy? I honestly can't think of anything in it I found particularly frustrating by MM standards.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
While 3 is and always will be my personal favourite, I would agree that 4 is probably the most refined. While they were beautiful and had the benefit of a lot of experience, 5 and 6 were rather guilty of stagnation and I think that both suffered from boring, uninspired weapon design. 6 had some great ideas, but the boss weapons seemed so bland. I would say that that was a strength of 9.

I've been playing 2.5d recently and I'm quite enjoying it. The slide is in as both Mega Man and Protoman function exactly the same way, but the charge shot is locked behind getting at least three achievements out of a roster of 12 or so. I also unlocked Base, but he's somewhat watered down as he just has the 8-way, non-charging shot and a ground-only dash that is functionally identical to the slide. No double jump and no Treble (RC and RJ are only in the Wily stages), but I still like his visual design.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Airspace posted:

I thought they were making noise about 'well we're considering doing X9' the moment the X collections came out.

No, that's what a bunch of rumors said, but all anyone at Capcom has said is that there's not currently a new X game in development.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/30/mega-man-11-producer-dispels-rumors-of-mega-man-x9-currently-in-development/

But he also made a point to add:

quote:

Actually, Mega Man 11 was also born because of the players’ voices for a new game. The collection before did quite well in terms of sales and reviews, and this was a main point of argument that backed our proposal to develop a new game project.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Say what you will about 10, but Solar Man's theme is incredible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

9 seemed the hardest to me, though I just save stated my way through 1-6. I found it harder than the other games on the second collection anyway, outside of specific crap like MM7 Wily capsule.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

chumbler posted:

Say what you will about 10, but Solar Man's theme is incredible.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wasn't X9's rumors was mostly circulating because of some secret track in the MHX collection or something?