Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenoborg posted:

They carry more now than originally, mostly due to in the 1940s when they were first being designed our modeling was a lot more basic and we know the true limits now. The maintenance and operating costs are actually pretty comparative to other bombers since a lot of the high failure stuff has been replaced with modern equivalents, but there is still the occasional thing where no only does no one make that particular part, but the entire industry that made and used them went extinct 30 years ago, like vacuum tubes for example.
Huh. I thought all the wing spars were a bit fatigued by now so they derated the max payload? I figured they might be able to carry more than the very first ones because of the engine upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The B-52s that are still in service, the H models, spent most of the 60s-90s sitting on the alert pad, while the Ds dropped bombs on Vietnam and G dropped bombs in desert storm, so they actually have pretty low flight hours on them. A 10 year old 737 probably has more flight time and a lot more takeoffs/landings than most remaining B-52Hs.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 11, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah but a 737 is flown like fourteen hours a day on relatively short hops, it would naturally have a lot more hours than a strategic bomber even if it's a very old one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I'm going to guess in this case the life of the AN-225 will be 1 fewer landings than takeoffs.

The Chinese association that has contracted Antonov to finish the second An-225 has apparently also bought the rights to build a domestic version starting sometime in the 2020s. If they actually pull it off, and if any of the airplanes are available for private contract like the current Mriya instead of just going straight to PLAAF strategic airlift, I could imagine that the first An-225 might actually get retired and put in a museum before it crashes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Finger Prince posted:

That's not the right question to be asking. What you should be asking is "is the An-225 still operating?". The answer is another question: "are there still operationally ready B-52s?"

I don't understand this post at all.

david_a posted:

Yes, but the B-52s can’t carry as much payload as when they were new due to fatigue, right? They’re also part of a military supply chain that can practically ignore maintenance/running costs.

How long does a air freighter normally last? Say a 747.

And this one is just wrong.

The B-52s' current service life is almost 40,000 hours. They've got plenty of time left. The airframe with the highest hours still has 40% remaining or more, and most of the fleet still has more than half.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 12, 2018

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Theres a good reason they'll be going into the 2050s.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The B52 is an interesting article to look at in terms of military attitude. When it was first built it was made with enough parts with the understanding that they would lose aircraft due to accidents or god forbid all out war and built the engine spare reserve accordingly. As the aircraft aged, the overall attitude of the military changed in that these losses we're no longer tolerable. That if a B52 goes down there is something wrong. So the infrastructure was built up to support it and suddenly there is a massive TF33 shortage. Pratt is in the middle of remanufacturing tooling to make new parts for it to secure aftermarket support for the remaining future of the aircraft as a result. They're literally reverse engineering paper drawings and making sure everything is up to modern aviation standards or better.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 12, 2018

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I thought engines were the one part of the b52 they'll never run out of.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sagebrush posted:

The Chinese association that has contracted Antonov to finish the second An-225 has apparently also bought the rights to build a domestic version starting sometime in the 2020s. If they actually pull it off, and if any of the airplanes are available for private contract like the current Mriya instead of just going straight to PLAAF strategic airlift, I could imagine that the first An-225 might actually get retired and put in a museum before it crashes.

Dear god I hope they build a whole new hangar for it at Udvar-Hazy.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There may be plenty of engines, but they're maturing faster than anticipated. The past failures of TF33s you've seen in the past few years are all related and it's an issue neither Pratt or the Air Force can ignore.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Dear god I hope they build a whole new hangar for it at Udvar-Hazy.

I'd be shocked if one of the crowning achievements of Soviet aerospace wound up in an American museum.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fender Anarchist posted:

I'd be shocked if one of the crowning achievements of Soviet aerospace wound up in an American museum.

Does Arlington National Cemetery count as a museum?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fender Anarchist posted:

If nobody in the former USSR can afford upkeep on it post retirement, they'd probably sell it off.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Does Arlington National Cemetery count as a museum?

:drat:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fender Anarchist posted:

It's Ukrainian-owned and giving it to an American museum would be an amazing troll.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

um excuse me posted:

There may be plenty of engines, but they're maturing faster than anticipated. The past failures of TF33s you've seen in the past few years are all related and it's an issue neither Pratt or the Air Force can ignore.

It isn't just the past few years, and it's an issue that has effectively been ignored while every spare dollar (and some that weren't spare) was thrown at fighter development.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yuri Gagarin’s space suit is at Smithsonian from Vostok training missions.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's Ukrainian-owned and giving it to an American museum would be an amazing troll.

At the very least I wouldn't put a high chance of it ending up in a Russian museum.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
If the AN-225 isn't crazy enough, supposedly there were plans for a single-stage-to-orbit spaceplane which would be carried by conjoined AN-225 airframes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_OOS

Just look at all those engines! :jeb: :allears:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I refuse to believe they had any accurate idea of what the near-centerline airflow was going to be like.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/09/10/beverly-airport-emergency-landing/

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Here's the ATC from the event, I feel so bad for the girl when she first responds after she gets the news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B229-KLudTo

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

http://www.ozzyman.com/dude-builds-flying-drone-car-after-getting-the-shts-with-traffic/
There are more than just a couple of issues with this concept

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Good job Maggie! :3:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

drunkill posted:

Good job Maggie! :3:

Yeah no doubt.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Here's the ATC from the event, I feel so bad for the girl when she first responds after she gets the news.

Oh that's just awesome!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's an access road right alongside YYC that goes past a parking area for miscellaneous cargo aircraft. I've seen an RAF transport (maybe a tanker?) there a few times, and the smaller Antonov; a couple days ago there was a Korean cargo 747-8 parked next to what I think must have been an A340 with a green stripe down the side.

e: would anyone want to see pictures of that stuff when I remember to actually stop and take 'em?

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 12, 2018

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Poor girl sounds petrified. Glad she was okay.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Elon Musk posted:

Planes? Well one idea would be... electronic VTOL supersonic something or other.... I've thought about this quite a lot

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Mortabis posted:

By the time they had her doing left turns she was already starting to copy instructions back to ATC. By the time she was setting up for landing she was absolutely in control of herself.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Well if you've got an engine and wings you can get it on the runway. Once you touch down it's in the lap of the gods so why worry about it? Easier said than done of course.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

Well if you've got an engine and wings you can get it on the runway. Once you touch down it's the insurance company’s problem

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mortabis posted:

I was watching something like this yesterday, a very experienced pilot describing the psychology of having to do a forced landing in a P-51 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBpqvPujZgM), and the biggest problem is, as he put it, "putting the monkey back in the cage", that is, moving past your instinctual fight-or-flight mechanisms that can get you killed out of panic by using your training to evaluate the situation and act. It was very difficult in his situation because the engine problems were intermittent, and he made some mistakes but fortunately he made enough right ones.

It's good that the student pilot had help to get over that monkey and she was able to land safely, though!

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 13, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
And always remember: there's very rarely a problem that's so bad you can't make it better by doing the right things, or make it worse by doing the wrong things.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Engine(s) are optional.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

True however your first single engine solo turning into your first glider lesson would be even scarier

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

True; but after walking away from that, it's a hell of a confidence boost, and kills a number of lingering student-pilot demons.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

And always remember: there's very rarely a problem that's so bad you can't make it better by doing the right things, or make it worse by doing the wrong things.
This talk also reminded me of this bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPNldku605Q&t=2102s
:v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

hobbesmaster posted:

True however your first single engine solo turning into your first glider lesson would be even scarier

Well, yes and no. At least at the school I work at, our pre-solo engine failure training regime is currently pretty goddamn robust. By the time we send you solo, you've done engine failures in the sim at every point in the circuit, and a number of simulated engine failures in the actual plane both during initial climbout and from circuit altitude. I'm not sending someone solo unless I think they will handle an engine failure correctly, and they will have already experienced me being a prick and giving them an engine failure scenario from a variety of different points :v:

On the other hand, at no point in our training do we prepare for a wheel falling off, except theoretically (keep the weight on the good wheel as long as possible!). Maggie kicked rear end, being able to land safely after that. And like I said in the A/T pilot thread, this is going to be a wonderful story for all my students who are whinging about wanting to go solo right now. No, you get to go solo after you've been landing really well under normal conditions, because I need to know you have a fighting chance of handling a situation like this. If your rear end is 20 ft. off the centreline and landing long now, under normal conditions, you do not have the margin for error in reserve that you need to deal with a situation like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

In the video I quoted, the guy flies 747s for a living, yet he still regularly gets up in a GA and practices spins and failures because he wants to reinforce the good habits and react better when there's trouble. I would feel a lot safer with that guy than most.