Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

BurritoJustice posted:

Does anyone here have an opinion on the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed? The reviews I've found differ from incredible to "broken". My main headphones are a pair of Focal Elex (similar frequency response to the Focal Clears). I also have AD900x/K7XX/M50/HD58X from my journeys through mid range cans.

I like the neutral sound signature, planar drivers and comfort (I know about the Oppo PM3 but I've read about how small/shallow they are and I have a huge head), but I'm reading a lot of post purchase regret on r/headphones citing inconsistency and sounding "broken". I like the closed aspect for theoretical plane/train/bus use, though I know they're a big large and clumsy.

I listened to them before I bought my lcd-xc. Detailed sound but no weight behind them. Very neutral, too much to my ears.

They are very small for audiophile headphones but I have a medium sized head so they fit fine. Ear size is the bigger issue.

I only listened for 2 minutes or so, but they didn't sound broken.

Tyll formerly of inner fidelity sold his house to travel and he took a pair of open and closed flows with him. If you value his opinion they are definitely audiophile worthy headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BurritoJustice posted:

Does anyone here have an opinion on the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed? The reviews I've found differ from incredible to "broken". My main headphones are a pair of Focal Elex (similar frequency response to the Focal Clears). I also have AD900x/K7XX/M50/HD58X from my journeys through mid range cans.

I like the neutral sound signature, planar drivers and comfort (I know about the Oppo PM3 but I've read about how small/shallow they are and I have a huge head), but I'm reading a lot of post purchase regret on r/headphones citing inconsistency and sounding "broken". I like the closed aspect for theoretical plane/train/bus use, though I know they're a big large and clumsy.

I have an Aeon Flow Open. Well had, it's with a family member now on permanent loan as I had no further use for it.

Sound: good, comfort: good*.

*You can't adjust the clamp, at all, due to the memory metal headband. If you have a large head like me that means after a few minutes once the ear pad foam warms up then those big plush pads are going to compress like gently caress and your ears will scrape the drivers in an annoying manner.
(by way of comparison I have to wear AudioTechnica M-whatever style headphones on near maximum extension for the cups to cover my ears)

They never sounded broken or remotely bad. I loved the sound signature. People who complained about them were probably not amping them correctly. Just because they are efficient doesn't mean you skimp on electric juice when it comes to planar.

Loud =/= properly driven.

^^ loving hell I just realized we did the exact same journey only you did closed and I did open. LCD-X supremacy.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 5, 2018

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

DancingShade posted:

I have an Aeon Flow Open. Well had, it's with a family member now on permanent loan as I had no further use for it.

Sound: good, comfort: good*.

*You can't adjust the clamp, at all, due to the memory metal headband. If you have a large head like me that means after a few minutes once the ear pad foam warms up then those big plush pads are going to compress like gently caress and your ears will scrape the drivers in an annoying manner.
(by way of comparison I have to wear AudioTechnica M-whatever style headphones on near maximum extension for the cups to cover my ears)

They never sounded broken or remotely bad. I loved the sound signature. People who complained about them were probably not amping them correctly. Just because they are efficient doesn't mean you skimp on electric juice when it comes to planar.

Loud =/= properly driven.

^^ loving hell I just realized we did the exact same journey only you did closed and I did open. LCD-X supremacy.

I listen to headphones at work so I need closed. Ever since I bought my kef ls50 wireless speakers I haven't listened to my headphones much at home.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hamelekim posted:

I listen to headphones at work so I need closed. Ever since I bought my kef ls50 wireless speakers I haven't listened to my headphones much at home.

:staredog:

We share the same taste in speaker brands too.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno how to quantify head size other than I tried to wear some Sundaras and at maximum headband extension they were still unusable. I love my audiotechnicas for this reason too. I've got a Cavalli Liquid Carbon so no worries about amping.

There is someone on an Aussie classifieds selling LCD-XC for the equivalent of $1000 usd, with both stock cables and a silver wanker dragon cable. Got the ginormous case too, which means they won't ship it. E: and the carbon headband too

Worth the 891km drive?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BurritoJustice posted:

I dunno how to quantify head size other than I tried to wear some Sundaras and at maximum headband extension they were still unusable. I love my audiotechnicas for this reason too. I've got a Cavalli Liquid Carbon so no worries about amping.

There is someone on an Aussie classifieds selling LCD-XC for the equivalent of $1000 usd, with both stock cables and a silver wanker dragon cable. Got the ginormous case too, which means they won't ship it. E: and the carbon headband too

Worth the 891km drive?

LCD-X's for a grand $AUD seems like a reasonable deal if they're in good condition. They're normally 1.6k AUD new without the travel case. Which you probably don't care about anyway, to be honest. I wouldn't. (it's not hard to find a pelican case on demand)

Is it worth the journey? Only you can answer that and time is money. I'd probably say no.

The stock cable on the latest revision is already an improved braided version so the fancy silver cable is simply bling. Also the latest revision has a suspension headband by default, along with memory foam ear pads.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DancingShade posted:

:staredog:

We share the same taste in speaker brands too.

oh hey me three. I use them as desktop speakers. They're actually pretty good for binaural recordings meant for headphones.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh hey me three. I use them as desktop speakers. They're actually pretty good for binaural recordings meant for headphones.

Getting bigass speakers (Focal Alpha 80s plus a ridiculous KRK 12sHO sub), which are proper studio monitors, totally ruined my headphones for me. It's why I've suddenly moved up price brackets for my headphones because I need something even half as good to use at night without my neighbours hating me.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BurritoJustice posted:

I dunno how to quantify head size

Circumference is what hats use. 7 1/4" or7 1/2" are around average, assuming short hair.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

BurritoJustice posted:

Worth the 891km drive?

I got mine for $1700 cad all inclusive, brand new, so that's probably not a bad deal I guess? It's cheaper than new but not by that much. But it comes with the extra cables and the case, which mine did not, because it was the cheaper newer version.

I wouldn't drive that far for those headphones, but it depends on how much you want them. I got to listen to mine before I bought them.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

Getting bigass speakers (Focal Alpha 80s plus a ridiculous KRK 12sHO sub), which are proper studio monitors, totally ruined my headphones for me. It's why I've suddenly moved up price brackets for my headphones because I need something even half as good to use at night without my neighbours hating me.

there's nothing as good as an awesome pair of studio monitors :)

that being said, if you have an open back lcd-x you can pick up, I'd be all over that due to the rich tonality of it. if it is an lcd-xc it's really not worth the $ and you're better off getting a pair of ZMF Eikon's or something else similar if you need a closed back. another option to consider if you like the focal's tonality would be the hifiman ananda which actually measures surprisingly well: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/hifiman/ananda

5-HT fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 6, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've been thinking of picking up a pair of AKG headphones but recently saw many recommendation for Audiotechnica M50x. I don't really have any rational reason for preferring AKGs other than I like the more retro styling and the semi-open design might work better for me listening at home. Does anyone have experience with the ATs as well as K240 (a bit cheaper) and K702 (a bit more expensive)?

As mentioned I'd be using them at home with the computer because my Etymotic IEM are becoming pain in the rear end to insert with the surfer's ear I have going on. Mostly hooked up to the computer for music, movies and occasional game.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been thinking of picking up a pair of AKG headphones but recently saw many recommendation for Audiotechnica M50x. I don't really have any rational reason for preferring AKGs other than I like the more retro styling and the semi-open design might work better for me listening at home. Does anyone have experience with the ATs as well as K240 (a bit cheaper) and K702 (a bit more expensive)?

As mentioned I'd be using them at home with the computer because my Etymotic IEM are becoming pain in the rear end to insert with the surfer's ear I have going on. Mostly hooked up to the computer for music, movies and occasional game.

M50s are okay. They have a lot of hype on reddit because they are a big step up from lovely gamer headsets but so are most headphones. Reddit likes to latch onto 1 thing and hype the poo poo out of it to fit in and get upvotes. Their build quality is eh, and they are pretty uncomfortable imo (too tight, don't fit over my ears fully). I own the ath ad700s, which are supremely comfortable to me, but people tend to say they aren't tight enough, to me they are perfect. If you're australian, jb hifi has m50s on display and you can go try them on, you can probably find them in your own countries equivalant.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 10, 2018

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Don’t blame that one on reddit. Headfi loved them way before.

The m50 is a logical step up from the 280Pro, which was the previous “entry level closed back everything” and way more livable.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Imo if you're looking for open (or semi-open) headphones then you don't need to consider entry level closed backs.

The HD58X happens to be currently still available for an open backed alternative in the ~$150 range.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 10, 2018

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I love AKG's styling, sound, and comfort (I've used K702 and K240 for years now) but their build quality...leaves something to be desired. Lots of creaking plastic and the internal wiring will fail sooner rather than later due to them cheaping out on wire length, insulation, and just overall poor component layout. Also nearly unrepairable (the headband assemblies are mind-boggling stupidly designed).

My K240s still work (K702 are in pieces while I try to repair them) but I've pretty much switched entirely to Beyerdynamic for home use; drat things are built like tanks and nearly as comfortable as the AKGs.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 10, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Llamadeus posted:

Imo if you're looking for open (or semi-open) headphones then you don't need to consider entry level closed backs.

The HD58X happens to be currently still available for an open backed alternative in the ~$150 range.

:yeah:

The Massdrop HD58X is a proper giant killer in its price range.

Too clampy? (carefully) Bend the metal headband extensions in the middle of each side until happy. Don't put any stress on the plastic.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

My old Shure headphones I've been using for 6+ years just broke and I'm looking at a new wireless over ears for transit. I have a nice weird Sennheiser set and an amp for work so I don't need anything stupid, but I will be using then every day on transit so I do want then to sound good.

I bought my wife a pair Sennheiser 4.40 BT's but I'm not sure if that's still the way to go. Looking to spend Less than 150 Canadian. Any of the off brands on Amazon any good? I'm willing to get a word Brand if the reputation is there

e:Bluedio any good? F vs V series?

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 11, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
All right, is there a similar model to the HD58X that isn't Massdroppy? Sine I'm travelling, Amazon prime locker delivery or B&M are pretty much my only options.

Oneiros posted:

I love AKG's styling, sound, and comfort (I've used K702 and K240 for years now) but their build quality...leaves something to be desired. Lots of creaking plastic and the internal wiring will fail sooner rather than later due to them cheaping out on wire length, insulation, and just overall poor component layout. Also nearly unrepairable (the headband assemblies are mind-boggling stupidly designed).

My K240s still work (K702 are in pieces while I try to repair them) but I've pretty much switched entirely to Beyerdynamic for home use; drat things are built like tanks and nearly as comfortable as the AKGs.
Supposedly they switched to Chinese assembly relatively recently... so that's how that went, huh.

A few days ago I tried a demo pair of $300 Sony noise-cancelling headphones and they were pretty drat impressive. I recall that noise cancelling used to be a gimmick that barely worked outside of some specific circumstance but these felt just like putting on some serious earmuffs and effectively canceled out most of the ambient noise in the store, which was pretty loud. I'd still take actual isolation of course but just found this pretty interesting.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 11, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Supposedly they switched to Chinese assembly relatively recently... so that's how that went, huh.

I used to own a pair of original era Austrian made AKG701s I bought in a physical hi-fi store back when those were considered high end.

They were creaky and not made to last from the get-go. If anything I bet China faithfully replicated all the original design flaws.

Also they failed due to intermittent driver issues and a non replaceable cable, so into the bin they went. Lasted many years despite all that and the Massdrop version is probably quite reasonable for the money.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 11, 2018

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I was in the market for some headphones and splurged on the Sennheiser 6XX's at Massdrop a few weeks back. Reviews are great but I'm going to be using these pretty casually — mostly at the office, sometimes for some light audio editing, usually listening on an iPhone or through my laptop.

Am I going to get my money's worth out of these, or would I be better off unloading them and finding something a little more suited to that?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

morestuff posted:

I was in the market for some headphones and splurged on the Sennheiser 6XX's at Massdrop a few weeks back. Reviews are great but I'm going to be using these pretty casually — mostly at the office, sometimes for some light audio editing, usually listening on an iPhone or through my laptop.

Am I going to get my money's worth out of these, or would I be better off unloading them and finding something a little more suited to that?

They're still my favorite headphones for literally everything. I think it's more a matter of, do you want open backed headphones or not? If you're using them at the office, your cube-mates will hear them.
They're easily powered by my phone, but they sound so clean you'll want to get an amp and keep dumping power into them. Don't. You'll go deaf.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They're still my favorite headphones for literally everything. I think it's more a matter of, do you want open backed headphones or not? If you're using them at the office, your cube-mates will hear them.
They're easily powered by my phone, but they sound so clean you'll want to get an amp and keep dumping power into them. Don't. You'll go deaf.

Hah, all the reviews mentioning how great they sound with amps is what made me nervous about them in the first place — wasn't sure if the sound would hold up in less-than-ideal situations.

I had a pair of the HD 497s a decade ago and loved them, so I'm used to the open-backed style from Sennheiser. Won't be a problem in the office, though I'm hoping I can use them on trains/planes if I keep the volume lower

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe
Picked up one of these little guys for travel (transatlantic flights every few months for work):

Nextdrive Spectra with a USB C connection end. No battery, Sabre chipset, clean little form factor, and I can use it on my phone and laptop. I had been thinking about a DragonFly for a long time, but this one was cheaper than the Red with the same chipset. Works great with my S9+ and my Thinkpad with 250ohm headphones.

The sound quality is really good ... not comparable to my desktop amps, but a great addition for portability, and much better than the phone itself (especially better than the laptop). Looking forward to using this one for flying, hotels, camping, etc. It's unnoticeable on my laptop, but it does drain about 10% of my phone battery per hour using it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've heard the Sabre dac is pretty fn amazing. I really wish the part that plugged into the USB C connector was smaller so you couldn't accidentally break the port easily.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
How do you guys feel about bluetooth earbuds generally? I'm looking at making the switch after getting tired of my wired ones dying after two weeks.

It seems like there's a massive price divide between the ones that are $20-$50 and then the ones that are $150+. I'm interested in getting something that is quality, but also feel like bluetooth is an affordable enough technology that I can't justify paying out the nose for a pair.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

morestuff posted:

Hah, all the reviews mentioning how great they sound with amps is what made me nervous about them in the first place — wasn't sure if the sound would hold up in less-than-ideal situations.

I had a pair of the HD 497s a decade ago and loved them, so I'm used to the open-backed style from Sennheiser. Won't be a problem in the office, though I'm hoping I can use them on trains/planes if I keep the volume lower

Just don't expect to watch porn without drawing some attention.
someone sitting next to you will hear very clearly what you're listening to.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

How do you guys feel about bluetooth earbuds generally? I'm looking at making the switch after getting tired of my wired ones dying after two weeks.

It seems like there's a massive price divide between the ones that are $20-$50 and then the ones that are $150+. I'm interested in getting something that is quality, but also feel like bluetooth is an affordable enough technology that I can't justify paying out the nose for a pair.

BT for life unless I’m on my desktop.

When you pay more you get more for the most part. A lot of it depends one what devices you use them for.

Like if you are all in the Apple eco system then something with he W1 chip is amazing. If not then there are great options as well.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

PantsBandit posted:

I love not having a cable going to my phone. I even bought a bluetooth cable for my Shure IEMs. I also own a pair of Jabra Elite Sport that have zero cables, but the battery life is only 4 hours per charge. Although the case has an extra 4+ hours charge in it.

For anything but at the desk they are great, if you listen to them all day long. Some can last 8 hours which is enough for most people at work, although the commute on transit could be problematic with the added hours.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Grado is coming out with Bluetooth phones. Exciting!

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

PantsBandit posted:

Get ones with long battery lives. I got some cheaper BT earbuds, but the battery life is only 4 hours which I severely regret.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
I just got a new BT receiver/DAC/Amp (Earstudio ES100) and I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs for it. I'm wanting to take advantage of the balanced 2.5mm out, and detachable cables would be a definite plus. Are FiiO F9s worth the price tag? Is there something else that fits the bill for less? Thanks goons

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

Mooktastical posted:

I just got a new BT receiver/DAC/Amp (Earstudio ES100) and I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs for it. I'm wanting to take advantage of the balanced 2.5mm out, and detachable cables would be a definite plus. Are FiiO F9s worth the price tag? Is there something else that fits the bill for less? Thanks goons

That thing looks super cool, please post your take on it when you have time (sound quality, battery life, compatibility, etc).

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

insularis posted:

That thing looks super cool, please post your take on it when you have time (sound quality, battery life, compatibility, etc).

It is super cool, friend.

- Sound quality is great. My current headphones are a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's that I modded to have a standard 3.5mm jack. It's similar to the M50x jack, only generic TRS 3.5mm. Source is (mostly) 320kbps mp3's coming from a rooted Xperia XZ1 Compact. I previously EQ'd the gently caress out of everything via Viper, with large emphasis being on the low and medium-high bands. The companion app for the ES100 breaks Viper entirely and doesn't really allow for that level of manipulation, so I've settled for a sound that's still got a decent bump from especially bass heavy songs, but not nearly as heavy as my previous setup. The overall clarity has definitely improved compared to what I had before, but how much of that is EQ and how much is the upgraded internals I can't say. BTW, previous BT receiver was an Mpow Streambot. When it comes down to it though, a test is worth a billion posts.

- Battery life is pretty good. It says it'll last 14 hours of usage, but I haven't tested that. I know it lasts much longer than my Mpow did. I can listen to it on an hour lunch, 2x 15 minute breaks, then come home and spend 5 hours pausing and unpausing w/e is on, and it'll end up at 35% power or something like that when I go to plug it in to the charger. The companion app comes with a battery % gauge that measures down to the 1's place, and it seems pretty accurate, so it's not exactly a mystery when it's about to die. It's also got an option to just stop charging at 90% to extend the overall life of the battery, which I find ingenious. It doesn't support any quick charge technologies, which means using a QC1/2/3 charger instead of a non-QC charger is not only pointless, but potentially destructive.

- Compatibility is definitely the biggest thing that drew me to it. The ES100 and XZ1 both support Apt-X HD and LDAC, which is pretty rad. My old Mpow only supported non-HD Apt-X. If you've got a phone that supports Apt-X HD or LDAC, it's deffo worth considering. If you're on an iPhone, you could probably find cheaper BT receivers that still support AAC. I absolutely do not claim to understand everything about the differences between the different bitrates, nor am I even a remotely elitist w/r/t lossy vs. lossless. That said, I do think that with my setup there's a perceptible difference between the different codecs, because I've switched to different codecs and listened to a difference, but I've not done A/B/X testing, so I'm open to the possibility of it being confirmation bias.

- Complaints: There is a discrete volume control for the ES100 that's separate from the basic bluetooth volume bar that you raise and lower with the phone's volume buttons. It's so you can give 100% control of the DSP to the software on the ES100, which should improve the sound. The downside is that you then have to use the volume control either in the app or on the ES100 itself to raise/lower the volume if you want to maintain that setup. Given that the volume buttons are on the same side as the 3.5mm jack, there's no really great way to do that. The clip is really lovely, which doesn't matter to me thanks to the magic of velcro, but I bring it up in case you plan on actually utilizing it. It should've been made detachable like the one for the A&K XB10. The usb charging port is Micro USB rather than USB C, which is BS in tyool 2018, but it doesn't really need mid-day charging anyway so it's not that big of a deal. Another NBD type thing is that it doesn't also double as a BT transmitter like the Mpow does, so if you need that specific functionality, look elsewhere.

- Nerd poo poo: EQ and other such settings are pushed from the companion app to some non-volatile memory on the receiver itself, so any change made will be in effect whether the app is running or not, and will persist after it's powered off. The beeps and boops can all have their volume levels adjusted independently of anything else. It can be used as a USB DAC/Amp with a USB OTG cable or a regular USB cable coming from a computer. When hooked up in this way, it'll power itself off of the charge it's receiving, not use the battery while it's charging. It can also be told to not charge itself from a host device, as well. It can be configured to power on when connected to power, and power off when disconnected. I'm too cheap to use it as a car-only device, but that one feature means that it'll behave more elegantly in a car than any BT receiver that can't do that, which IIRC is all of them. It's also updated by EarStudio in the form of flashable firmware updates, which I believe is something that no other BT receiver can say, as well.

- TL;DR: It's a good little gadget. If you've already got a decent wireless setup, maybe wait for it to go on sale. Amazon had it as a daily deal last week for $75, so it was a no-brainer for me at the time. I don't regret the purchase at all. If you've got a wired setup that you've been thinking about converting over to wireless, and you can afford to throw $100 at the idea, then go for it.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 13, 2018

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Hey headphone goons, I've had a pair of Sony XB950BT's for about a year and a half and absolutely love the insane skull shaking bass - but the build quality is sadly extremely poor.
I've superglued and duct-taped them together at least 3 times by now, and I'm beginning to reach the point where I just want to give up to find something better and more durable.

Does anyone have some recommendations for over-ear bluetooth that have some real oomph when it comes to bass, and also good build quality? I'm prepared to spend up to about 400 usd for a pair that will last me. Noise cancellation or bulkiness isn't a concern since I only use them at home. :) Thanks for any help!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

AEMINAL posted:

Hey headphone goons, I've had a pair of Sony XB950BT's for about a year and a half and absolutely love the insane skull shaking bass - but the build quality is sadly extremely poor.
I've superglued and duct-taped them together at least 3 times by now, and I'm beginning to reach the point where I just want to give up to find something better and more durable.

Does anyone have some recommendations for over-ear bluetooth that have some real oomph when it comes to bass, and also good build quality? I'm prepared to spend up to about 400 usd for a pair that will last me. Noise cancellation or bulkiness isn't a concern since I only use them at home. :) Thanks for any help!

Bluetooth no... but try some Plantronics Rig 800HD wireless gaming headsets with the hardware EQ set to "seismic".

I guarantee it'll be too much bass.

Or if you want bluetooth "too much bass" get some Skullcandy crushers or hesh. (haven't heard either but the charts on rtings seem pretty clear on this)

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 13, 2018

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

DancingShade posted:

Bluetooth no... but try some Plantronics Rig 800HD wireless gaming headsets with the hardware EQ set to "seismic".

I guarantee it'll be too much bass.

Or if you want bluetooth "too much bass" get some Skullcandy crushers or hesh. (haven't heard either but the charts on rtings seem pretty clear on this)

Thanks for the tips! The crushers looked real promising at first glance (good price too), but I checked the 1 star reviews on amazon - and there are practically just as many complaints about the plastic hinges being poor quality and breaking as the Sony XB950s :(

I'm willing to adjust EQ to get better bass if anyone knows of cans that would be suitable for that

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

AEMINAL posted:

Thanks for the tips! The crushers looked real promising at first glance (good price too), but I checked the 1 star reviews on amazon - and there are practically just as many complaints about the plastic hinges being poor quality and breaking as the Sony XB950s :(

I'm willing to adjust EQ to get better bass if anyone knows of cans that would be suitable for that

If your primary concern is high quality bass in large quantities then you want a Fostex biodynamic pair of headphones. They only come in wired though, which might be a deal killer if you're set on wire free.

Should be able to get them from Massdrop in the form of the TR-X00. Price is going to be... maybe double what you're used to. Plus a DAC/amp, probably, if you don't have one already. A Fiio E10k Olympus would do fine though and that's a pretty cheap one.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

Mooktastical posted:

It is super cool, friend.

Thanks for the thorough run-down! I'm putting a camelcamelcamel price alert on this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Zeos 58x review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE22dZ_jiyU

TLDR: dont watch if you own 660's