Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Reclines Obesily posted:

ah but does anyone pick one up? cant speak for victorians but i've never seen a human in SA pick up the advertiser, the closest i've seen were two dogs in an alley tearing one up

Yeah of course they do, it's full of sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Goffer posted:

Maybe it’s time to get rid of cartoonists that rely on caricatures all together - it’s all about body shaming, fat shaming or racist stereotypes for a cheap laugh anyway, nothing of value would be lost.

Heh, everyone get a load of the Nazi PC police over here. :rolleyes:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pope drew Hockey as Shrek and you all laughed.

JBP fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 11, 2018

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I feel talking about caricatures is misdirection, this particular drawing looks nothing like Williams

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

JBP posted:

It's pretty dumb saying no one reads the Herald Sun. It's in every break room and cafe in the state.

Dazzling media penetration

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

No one gets great media penetration now, the entire thing is shattered online. They've still got the most eyes seeing the words Labor waste or whatever every single day of their working life

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

Pope drew Hockey as Shrek and you all laughed.

this is an odd choice of hill for you to die on

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I remember having a deep guttural laughing fit when I saw Joe hockey drawn in a cartoon with the ears of Shrek instead of a man

Imagine!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

bandaid.friend posted:

I feel talking about caricatures is misdirection, this particular drawing looks nothing like Williams

Really the whole thing is a misdirection, because the racists and misogynists chiming in with their usual tripe is exactly what Serena Williams wanted to happen, to give some meaty distraction from the fact that she was pretty soundly beaten by a much younger player, in what was supposed to be her record grand slam win, and she had a mid match meltdown over it.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Really the whole thing is a misdirection, because the racists and misogynists chiming in with their usual tripe is exactly what Serena Williams wanted to happen, to give some meaty distraction from the fact that she was pretty soundly beaten by a much younger player, in what was supposed to be her record grand slam win, and she had a mid match meltdown over it.

There is no conspiracy

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
courtesy of the political cartoon thread

hooman posted:

Australian Media:

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 11, 2018

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

bandaid.friend posted:

Yeah, I've pointed that out to a few people. If you took only the face of the cartoon Serena, nobody could pick it out as her.

Caricature is about exaggerating someone's facial features so it's cartoonish, but it's still recognisably them. Like all of Pope's cartoons you can make out which pollie is which, even when he's turned them into a potato or train or Shrek or whatever.

In the cartoon... It's not clear to me who that person is. The only thing that tells you that it's Serena is the outfit, the location and knowing the recent upset. The only physical characteristic I could say he got right on Serena herself is how muscly her arms are (side note: I wish I had guns like Serena).

The fact that he can't properly caricature a famous athlete indicates an inability or unwillingness to do his job... Which doesn't say much for him as either an artist or a person, since he apparently does have this ability with other (white) figures. I mean, he's not particularly good at it (which is surprising given he does this for money), but you're able to make out figures like Pauline or Tones or whoever without too much of a struggle.

Nobody's really given me a good retort for that. I guess because they'd have to acknowledge that instead of doing something original he instead borrowed from white folks' long and crappy history of depicting people of colour.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

snoremac posted:

Too cowardly to include the past racist work he’s been criticized for. Wouldn’t want a recognizable pattern emerging.

Can someone correct me here - wasn't this cartoon originally with a white police officer and he changed it after people pointed out how racist it was?

EDIT: Maybe I'm thinking of all the edits people did. This montage also has the cop being Aboriginal.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 11, 2018

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Different guy

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Don Dongington posted:

The fucktards defending these clowns don't even account for the fact that, questionable stylistic decisions aside, the clear intent and motive of these cartoons is to vilify black people, and to convey to their white Anglo Saxon target audience a smug sense of self-superiority.

You can't possibly argue that that's not the case.

And it's a really blatant example of systemic racism that needs to be wiped out.

H. L. Mencken: “Never argue with a man whose job depends on not being convinced.”

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Here's some white supremacist Knights

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1039182400201351173

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

froglet posted:

Yeah, I've pointed that out to a few people. If you took only the face of the cartoon Serena, nobody could pick it out as her.

Caricature is about exaggerating someone's facial features so it's cartoonish, but it's still recognisably them. Like all of Pope's cartoons you can make out which pollie is which, even when he's turned them into a potato or train or Shrek or whatever.

In the cartoon... It's not clear to me who that person is. The only thing that tells you that it's Serena is the outfit, the location and knowing the recent upset. The only physical characteristic I could say he got right on Serena herself is how muscly her arms are (side note: I wish I had guns like Serena).

The fact that he can't properly caricature a famous athlete indicates an inability or unwillingness to do his job... Which doesn't say much for him as either an artist or a person, since he apparently does have this ability with other (white) figures. I mean, he's not particularly good at it (which is surprising given he does this for money), but you're able to make out figures like Pauline or Tones or whoever without too much of a struggle.

Nobody's really given me a good retort for that. I guess because they'd have to acknowledge that instead of doing something original he instead borrowed from white folks' long and crappy history of depicting people of colour.

This is what I was going to post but couldn't be bothered, so cheers.

Anyone who thinks that looks like Williams needs their loving eyes checked. He reached for the laziest black stereotype because he knew it would get noticed.

The man is supremely untalented and desperate for relevance.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Even even drew her Japanese opponent as a white woman with blonde hair.

Accuracy had no part on what he was doing.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
bullshit country

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Peccadillo posted:

There is no conspiracy

It's not a conspiracy, Serena Williams just used the false "sexist and racist" claims to cover up her own bad play and misbehaviour that the right wingers wrongly accuse every victim of doing, and the chuds are making the most of the easy opportunity while she enjoys an undeserved legion of defenders turning it into an us or them event. She's done everyone on the side of equality a disservice and she doesn't care, because Serena has only ever cared about Serena.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 11, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

:chloe:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There was nothing racist or sexist about the penalties she received in the match, but she loudly claimed so anyway to deflect, and continued to do so afterwards, which is the only reason anyone paid attention to it long enough to make "libtard owning" comics and columns, followed by the inevitable push back against said racist comics and columns.

Serena has a long history of bad behaviour, pissy post-loss press conferences that dismiss, belittle, or disparage her opponents, and placing herself above the game and everyone else in it, this is just the worst incident.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 11, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Your position is that Serena had the mid-match meltdown as a strategic move to poo poo stir racists/right wingers and prompt support from those against them, to draw attention away from her being beaten?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Knobb Manwich posted:

Your position is that Serena had the mid-match meltdown as a strategic move to poo poo stir racists/right wingers and prompt support from those against them, to draw attention away from her being beaten?

No, my position is that she had a mid-match meltdown because she was unexpectedly losing her 'record breaking equaling 24th grand slam win' in straight sets to a first timer 16 years her junior.

What compelled her to immediately go to the sexism and racism defence shortly after swearing on her child's life and motherhood that she would never cheat (her coach admitted after the game they did cheat and often do), I don't know, but there's no doubt at all she was thinking only of herself when she stomped over Osaka in all the post-game and continued on with the claims, because making it all about her is what she does every single time she loses in a major tournament.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 11, 2018

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
What Mark Knight did was cool and good, we need to remind the world from time to time that when it comes to racism, we are still top dogs. No one does racism like Australia, and sometimes other countries do things which challenge our monopoly over racism. We must continue to broadcast that our media has no self awareness, and that our citizens are capable of producing the finest Jim Crow cartoons and then our white men will trip over themselves saying that nothing is wrong and non-whites are displaying confected outrage.

Racism could be some of our greatest intellectual exports. I am content knowing that when I talk to my international colleagues, the topic of causal racism will hopefully be forefront and they will know that Australia is still a flaming dumpster of idiotic racism

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

She had an entire match meltdown accusing a penalty-less warning against her coach as being equivalent to calling her a cheater. The umpire had already told her that he didn't believe she was a cheater. She didn't raise the sexism allegation until the very end of the match, after she had received a second penalty for smashing her racquet (automatic penalty, not umpire decision), and a third for calling the umpire a thief and screaming about him having to apologize (which stirred the audience against both the umpire and her opponent). The same coach has issued the same warning against male players. She has a history of deflecting from losses by abusing umpires for calls against her. Last time she was losing in this location she threatened to shove a ball down the throat of a lineswoman after being penalised for a foot fault, which is a zero controversy umpiring decision. She is infamous for poor sporting behaviour but she is powerful enough that all women's tennis players kind of dance around it and only talk about how much respect they have for her.

Basically once the match was over and her opponent came to shake hands she had some realization of how badly she had behaved, but still refused to accept responsibility so deflected with sexism allegations. Now the nyt are publishing op eds supporting her as fighting for women's rights (against all evidence of her only ever caring about her own ego).

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The cartoon is still bad though.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, whatever Serena did on court is now kind of a separate issue.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

NTRabbit posted:

No, my position is that she had a mid-match meltdown because she was unexpectedly losing her 'record breaking equaling 24th grand slam win' in straight sets to a first timer 16 years her junior.

What compelled her to immediately go to the sexism and racism defence shortly after swearing on her child's life and motherhood that she would never cheat (her coach admitted after the game they did cheat and often do), I don't know, but there's no doubt at all she was thinking only of herself when she stomped over Osaka in all the post-game and continued on with the claims, because making it all about her is what she does every single time she loses in a major tournament.

Righto, thanks for elaborating.

We were talking about Knight's depiction of William, and the comment you responded to was how hosed up it is to ok it as caricature. That's nothing to do with Williams' behaviour at all, and just about Knight's choice in how he depicted Williams and the people defending that depiction.

I couldn't give two shits about tennis, Williams, or her behaviour in general, but I do care when a hack cartoonist that draws for a widely circulated paper, who has a history of problematic depiction of other races, draws a cartoon that to me is obviously racist as gently caress, and a legion of chuds come out and say it's fine, "it's just how she looks" or "it's a caricature, get over it" or "hey look he draws white people kinda funny too, shrek ears man", that's hosed.

So when you respond to that specific comment about caricature being a misdirection, that the whole thing is a misdirection, yeah, I dunno what you were expecting if not to get lumped in with the chuds on a casual read.

EoinCannon posted:

Yeah, whatever Serena did on court is now kind of a separate issue.

Yeah, that.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The best Williams sisters moment was when Venus' hair beads kept falling out and spraying all over the floor. It took ages to pick them up out of the grass. Eventually she was penalised for it causing a disturbance, so went ballistic much like Serena's latest. Venus was usually better known for crying fits and walk offs while losing than anger.

The cartoon sucks because of depicting her opponent as white and how her facial features are drawn. Depicting a tantrum is fine, since that is what it was. But Serena has a fairly recognizable face, with features that wouldn't look sambo-esque even when exaggerated significantly. That caricature is unrecognizable as her, but recognizable as a caricature of an entire race.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
an umpire is a mod and Serena did nothing wrong, gently caress the mods, 1312

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Birdo when are you getting modded, it must be your turn by now?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

To get hosed I mean

:angel:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
:shittypop:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Another ALP leadership crisis as Albirdstrikenese refuses to rule out challenging Anidav

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I have the full support of the party room

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Even if you take at face value Mark Knights claim to have independently discovered Jim Crow era caricatures, if that were me I would be mortified, apologise for it, and commit to do better in future.

Charlie Hebdo is bad also, hth

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Moon Atari posted:

Basically once the match was over and her opponent came to shake hands she had some realization of how badly she had behaved, but still refused to accept responsibility so deflected with sexism allegations. Now the nyt are publishing op eds supporting her as fighting for women's rights (against all evidence of her only ever caring about her own ego).

It's kind of rich of her to cry double-standards when both Williams sisters have effectively been untouchable in women's tennis for years, yes. Unfortunately that is not how this incident will even be remembered given the convenient arguments from all sides. This kind of thing pretty much turned me off tennis as a sport years ago, the behaviour of its "best" has been incredibly childish for decades and isn't stepped on because they bring in the punters.

But the Knight cartoon was deliberately racist, I can't see it any other way. If it wasn't, the other player wouldn't have been actually whitewashed. The cartoon also defies logic in the umpires words "Can't you just let her win?". It was precisely the opposite in fact, no matter what ad homs people want to throw at the umpire. An umpire is supposed to represent fairness in a very heated atmosphere, of course they'll make mistakes. But "letting her win" seems an especially evil canard, suggesting that Williams wins not by her talent. That is the big dogwhistle hiding behind the obvious racist slant. A black woman couldn't possibly be good at tennis, or if she is, she must be cheating. You see, both things can be true. Serena can be a terrible example AND be used to beat up on women and particularly black women.

A test might be, would it be the same for a (white) man? I doubt it unless the controversy was big enough. Lleyton Hewitt and Mark Philippoussis were renowned sooks, and were also caricatured, IIRC. Most of you are too young to even remember McEnroe at his worst but the original enfant terrible was Jimmy Connors. In a bygone age, his loss to Arther Ashe in 1975 in the Wimbledon final was celebrated as a move forwards for equality in sport (and a not too subtle hint was that Connors deserved it for generally being a big baby most times). It wasn't really a golden age but look at the poo poo we have now.

The whole incident has been incredibly damaging to the debates about these things: people will be citing this to back their dumb arguments long after the true facts are forgotten.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

As soon as race or gender are evoked the worst opinions by the biggest idiots on all sides will be elevated, and everyone will end up arguing about an endless series of reactions and hot takes rather than whatever more nuanced inspiring event prompted it.

ewe2 posted:

This kind of thing pretty much turned me off tennis as a sport years ago, the behaviour of its "best" has been incredibly childish for decades and isn't stepped on because they bring in the punters.

I was turned off tennis because I spent my childhood and teen years playing it, until all the ego tripping young stars and bullies got too much for a middling player like me. My coach's son, who I trained against, was at one point in time the number one under 18s player in Australia, destined for greatness. I was glad when he threw away his career by stacking up so many penalties for abusing players and umpires that he copped a tournament suspension too long to recover from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Moon Atari posted:

I was turned off tennis because I spent my childhood and teen years playing it, until all the ego tripping young stars and bullies got too much for a middling player like me. My coach's son, who I trained against, was at one point in time the number one under 18s player in Australia, destined for greatness. I was glad when he threw away his career by stacking up so many penalties for abusing players and umpires that he copped a tournament suspension too long to recover from.
i spent my childhood and teen years lovingly hand-crafting golliwog dolls with wool from sheep i hatched out of eggs i personally laid, only to have the pc brigade crush all my dreams on the eve of my great success

• Locked thread