Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
A lot of hand wringing over solo mode which seems like not a big deal at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/9xohi

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Glenn Quebec posted:

A lot of hand wringing over solo mode which seems like not a big deal at all.

Splitting the player base is a pretty legit concern? But hopefully it's all for naught. They DO need to market the hell out of this title, though.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

It's not dlc that prevents people from playing together. Nbd. I can play solo and then play duo. You guys are acting like there should only be a play button that vomits you into the game without options.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I played 2 games of solo mode. That's how long it took to realize it was wildly unbalanced hot garbage. Nobody likes playing a game against 9 camping assholes.
If its gonna be perma-in, I'm gonna be perma-not-playing-that-mode.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's going to be ok.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Rysithusiku posted:

I played 2 games of solo mode. That's how long it took to realize it was wildly unbalanced hot garbage. Nobody likes playing a game against 9 camping assholes.
If its gonna be perma-in, I'm gonna be perma-not-playing-that-mode.

That's cool don't play it but I'm very surprised by people. Pages of how this is an awesome game of ambushing people and now it's bad? Let's not pretend camping isn't a huge part of this game.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Glenn Quebec posted:

That's cool don't play it but I'm very surprised by people. Pages of how this is an awesome game of ambushing people and now it's bad? Let's not pretend camping isn't a huge part of this game.

It really isn't to the extent that it has become almost mandatory in solo-only.
If you've played more than a few rounds of that, there's no way you can say that the players there don't behave differently than in a normal queue.
Nobody wants to be the one engaging the boss. Nobody wants to start any engagements - even if they have an advantage - for fear of being ambushed by third (and more) parties.
It's static and boring and tedious compared to the other mode, alleviated only in part by having dual-boss maps, and even there - especially if it is spider - nobody wants to try downing the thing first.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Can't say I've experienced that. Going solo in a duo match would have people running away to their partners if they got wounded. In solo, that isn't an option.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Glenn Quebec posted:

Can't say I've experienced that. Going solo in a duo match would have people running away to their partners if they got wounded. In solo, that isn't an option.

Duos are more likely to push engagements and fight bosses, too. There's that safety in numbers: one can fight the boss, the other can play lookout.
In solos you can't do that, putting you at a horrible disadvantage if you engage the boss unless you are either super early (spawned in the right compound) or you know the area is clear - i.e. you've camped long enough to convince yourself you're alone, but even then... why not wait another few minutes?

I know this is all a matter of taste but I love playing solo in duo-games because people behave differently enough that you can play it against them.
Everyone is paranoid about that team-mate that doesn't exist. Decoys (especially blank fires) can be devastating.
It's definitely more punishing but the payoff bamboozling organized pairs and murdering them is all the sweeter.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Push the envelope and don't be a coward in solo mode. Fight the boss. Fight anyone who shows up to fight you while fighting the boss. Banish the boss and fight anyone who shows up to fight you during the banish. Then grab the token and either run or go shoot people. At some point everyone else will have to play their hand.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Commoners posted:

Push the envelope and don't be a coward in solo mode. Fight the boss. Fight anyone who shows up to fight you while fighting the boss. Banish the boss and fight anyone who shows up to fight you during the banish. Then grab the token and either run or go shoot people. At some point everyone else will have to play their hand.

I'm having a hard time believing you put any serious time into that mode based on this post. Taking the boss early in solo only is a literal death sentence, even with the best most kitted out hunter.

There is a reason camping is preferred, it works. When there are so many more groups of people willing to merc you, its suicidal to think you can kill them all.

Out of all my solo games, I won exactly zero games where I engaged a boss early or even really did anything early.

I did however win about 4 games of solo only by waiting for everyone else to kill each other and then sniping the bounty carrier right near the end.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'm with commoners man, I haven't had the same issue. I'm sure that we just play differently. But feel how you want to feel.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

DarkDobe posted:

I know this is all a matter of taste but I love playing solo in duo-games because people behave differently enough that you can play it against them.
Everyone is paranoid about that team-mate that doesn't exist. Decoys (especially blank fires) can be devastating.
It's definitely more punishing but the payoff bamboozling organized pairs and murdering them is all the sweeter.

Wiping a duo as a solo is really as good as sex imo

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

the other night I got killed by a crossbow from 6 meters by a guy I never saw or heard and by the time my partner came over he disapeared into the night. god I love this game.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Basticle posted:

the other night I got killed by a crossbow from 6 meters by a guy I never saw or heard and by the time my partner came over he disapeared into the night. god I love this game.

Why would he down you and then just bounce?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Why would he down you and then just bounce?

Because he was probably playing solo and I was about to walk right into him in the bushes? IDK?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I would do that. I just want the xp and $

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
If you down someone for whatever reason and have no idea where their partner is, it's a good idea to leave if you aren't confident of your current position. You can even toss fire and then leave if you're carrying a molotov.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

jokes on that guy, my partner was 300 meters away :v:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If you down someone for whatever reason and have no idea where their partner is, it's a good idea to leave if you aren't confident of your current position. You can even toss fire and then leave if you're carrying a molotov.

Might as well camp the body though since you are now forcing the partner to revive or give up entirely on the buddy.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Basticle posted:

I did that once to a man that was setting up to ambush the extract team.
Crawled under the house where he was lurking, said 'Pppssst!' On voice - and pinned him to the wall when he spun around.
(I then proceeded to die to the extracting pair.)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Might as well camp the body though since you are now forcing the partner to revive or give up entirely on the buddy.

It's almost like people have different play styles :ironicat:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Basticle posted:

It's almost like people have different play styles :ironicat:

I mean sure if the different play style is play in a fashion that will leave more hunters on the map alive and throw away the advantage you had.

if you are burning someone and can keep line of sight on him, you should do so until either his buddy comes to pick him up (ez headshot kill) or his body stops burning to ensure he is unrecoverable.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 8, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Solo mode is fine, still going to go solo in normal games against teams when I want to go solo.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Solo mode is fine, still going to go solo in normal games against teams when I want to go solo.

This is the Galaxy expanding brain meme of answers.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I had a solo game recently where the timer ALMOST got to 0 for "estimated time remaining," I was thinking I was in a game alone. BUT suddenly the Butcher gets banished while I'm scanning everywhere from the church tower. So I start stalking this team, which I am almost certain was the only other team besides me. They get to the point where they are convinced they are alone on the map and start farming, I post up on the riverbank south of Lodebay Docks and watch the hive and red barrel she is next to. Sure enough these guys come plowing through the swamp and start making their way over.

Simply popped the barrel and shot the guy who survived in the leg.

Complacency kills!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://gfycat.com/DearestFeistyHypacrosaurus

https://streamable.com/qh3ol

https://streamable.com/1kdxb

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

It's like that scene from V for vendetta!

(You were not V.)

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Melee feels slightly overpowered, and sometimes it feels like your bullets are sliding off the dude you're shooting as he charges you. I would kind of like there to be a way to block, just make it reliant on stamina/timing, make it so melee weapons are better at it than non-dedicated weapons, etc.

On the other hand, I've been noticing ( a lot, lately ) that my machete will sweep someone and hit them in the arm or some poo poo instead of the chest, requiring a second swing.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
If you don't like solo mode just don't play it jeez. I prefer to play solo, and it's a good thing I can queue against other solos instead of going up against duos

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

i will never ever get easier kills than this again https://streamable.com/wzj8c

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I basically managed to fail at that same situation earlier today. I was literally 5 feet from 2 guys, behind them, moments after they downed the butcher, and perfectly clear los. Neither knew I was there. Whiffed my first shot entirely, chested the 2nd instead of head so it didnt kill him, whiffed the 3rd, got shot in the face with a sparks and died.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Basticle posted:

i will never ever get easier kills than this again https://streamable.com/wzj8c

This is why I really hate crab walking around unless there's a good reason.

If I'm running full speed I might get shot, but odds are good I'll survive long enough to escape or something.

If I'm spotted and crouched, virtually any weapon in the game can kill me on the first strike.

Stealth can be pretty effective when you use it well, though, and that tension of potentially getting spotted by an unknown attacker and wiped is always great.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If I'm running full speed I might get shot, but odds are good I'll survive long enough to escape or something.

If I'm spotted and crouched, virtually any weapon in the game can kill me on the first strike.

Stealth can be pretty effective when you use it well, though, and that tension of potentially getting spotted by an unknown attacker and wiped is always great.

I totally get this but I think its definitely a balance. I have done way better playing low and slow than fast and loose. THough the former often has me extracting with bounties and little conflict while the latter has me knee deep in hunter blood. Both are fun and good tho

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I would agree with this to an extent but I think the more important thing is to never ever recruit a hunter with bright white clothes.

*edit*

today i learned that if you sit in the matchmaking queue long enough it will put you in a game with literally no one else. Kinda lame but I leveled up a hunter from 1 to 29 so....

Basticle fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 12, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Played around with the Sparks and the Mosin for the first time today. Kind of prefer the Sparks over the Mosin and the Vet over the Mosin. Dunno what the point of the Mosin is, really, aside from the penetration of long ammo.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Post your ideal setups itt

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I just spent the greater part of the day trying to spend my money. Started at 44k. Bought Sparks, Mosins, full consumables every round, couple tier 3 Hunters, etc.

Played mediocre in most games. Died a lot. Finished at 46k.

I dunno how you go broke in this game unless you just consistently die without doing anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I just spent the greater part of the day trying to spend my money. Started at 44k. Bought Sparks, Mosins, full consumables every round, couple tier 3 Hunters, etc.

Played mediocre in most games. Died a lot. Finished at 46k.

I dunno how you go broke in this game unless you just consistently die without doing anything at all.

is this a troll post or do you just go Tier I hunter with poo poo tier guns every game?