Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
IIRC specifically bulgur is parboiled and regular cracked wheat isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

wormil posted:

Google "magic dust rub recipe" and substitute homemade chili powder for store bought for the best rub I've ever had, works on most things.

Ooh, that sounds good. Thank you! :tipshat:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

how many anchovy fillets do you guys think I should add to my next bolognese sauce? I was gonna throw tinned tomatoes, herbs and some anchovy fillets into the blender and blend it thin.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Qubee posted:

how many anchovy fillets do you guys think I should add to my next bolognese sauce? I was gonna throw tinned tomatoes, herbs and some anchovy fillets into the blender and blend it thin.

I only put in 1-2 for a quart or so sized batch of sauce. Kinda interested what others do.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I sort of love anchovies, and I was wondering if I can treat them the same way I treat garlic. A recipe calls for 3 or 4 cloves? Miss me with those rookie numbers, I bump it up to 6 or 7 cloves and still aren't happy with the lack of garlic taste.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Qubee posted:

I sort of love anchovies, and I was wondering if I can treat them the same way I treat garlic. A recipe calls for 3 or 4 cloves? Miss me with those rookie numbers, I bump it up to 6 or 7 cloves and still aren't happy with the lack of garlic taste.

You are the David Duchovny of your anchovies. Live your best life.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I usually use a pretty generous tablespoon or two of anchovy paste in a 4 quart chicken stew recipe. It’s great but I’m never sure which of the umami bomb ingredients is doing the trick. It also gets a pretty good helping of soy sauce, and the onions get boiled down in chicken stock until they dissolve in the final product. Plus, I usually have homemade stock that’s jello in the fridge.

I’ve posted the recipe here before, I’m sure.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You are the David Duchovny of your anchovies. Live your best life.

this is beautiful and inspirational. I'd get it printed out so I can replace my "Live, laugh, love" sign

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
The puttanesca sauce recipe I like calls for a whole 2 oz. tin to be chopped up and added to 28 oz. of crushed tomatoes.

Reposting this "why use salt when you can use anchovies" video again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoA7h0bZmDI&t=35s

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Qubee posted:

this is beautiful and inspirational. I'd get it printed out so I can replace my "Live, laugh, love" sign

it reads like a chef john phrase

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Qubee posted:

It depends if you’re trying to make your bolognese taste like an extra good bolognese, or if you want your bolognese to taste of anchovies. A couple of anchovies give a satisfying umami to the sauce without it necessarily being “yes, this sauce has anchovies in it”, too many and it will taste like your regular bolognese plus anchovies...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

It depends if you’re trying to make your bolognese taste like an extra good bolognese, or if you want your bolognese to taste of anchovies. A couple of anchovies give a satisfying umami to the sauce without it necessarily being “yes, this sauce has anchovies in it”, too many and it will taste like your regular bolognese plus anchovies...

Agreed. What's awesome about anchovies is that they really round out the back end of the flavor of the sauce when used properly. But they're not there to make the sauce taste of anchovies. You do you, of course.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Doing a lot of cooking, I sometimes dirty a lot. My wife recently started a job and now our dish rack regularly has her endlessly drying water bottles. Combined with plastics that refuse to dry in the dishwasher and need to be further air dried, washing the dishes can be even more of a chore than it already is.

I'm currently using this KitchenAid that I bought from Costco years ago and it seems like a bigger rack would be the right solution but I'm looking for recommendations from y'all.

Thanks!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Do you use a rise aid in the dishwasher? I find that helps my plastics dry better in the washing machine. Also, if you're around when it ends, open the door right at the end. The hot water will escape as steam easier than if it's closed.

I also use the grates on my stovetop as a drying rack. Do you have anything that can double duty?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm a poor college student renting a room so I don't have access to a real kitchen but I'd like to have something resembling variety in my meals that aren't just microwave dinners. I have a minifridge, a microwave, and an electric kettle. Does anybody have ideas for how I can try to do poo poo like cook burgers, hot dogs, sausages, etc in a microwave? Or maybe suggestions of other things I could try. Fridge space is at a premium but I actually have quite a bit of cabinet space for other stuff.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Rice cooker or instant pot will greatly expand your cooking options. I also have a steamer basket for the microwave that sees heavy use. Maybe a toaster oven as well.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ah yeah, thats a good idea. I don't have a kitchen sink around so cleaning appliances is kinda finnicky but a cutting board, chefs knife, and rice cooker isn't a whole lot to clean for an actual meal every now and then.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Induction cooktop, too!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Agent355 posted:

Ah yeah, thats a good idea. I don't have a kitchen sink around so cleaning appliances is kinda finnicky but a cutting board, chefs knife, and rice cooker isn't a whole lot to clean for an actual meal every now and then.

An instant pot can be used as a rice cooker but is also a pressure cooker and a crock pot.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Another InstantPot recommendation. Besides rice you can cook oatmeal, steam vegetables (using it to cook corn on the cob instead of a big rear end pot of water was a game changer this summer). I haven't dug into meat options since its summer and I still use the grill, but the InstantPot cookbook had a Moroccan Lamb dish that I've been eyeing once the weather settles down.

Also, related to the "poor college student" qualifier, how do you feel about leftovers?

For example, I typically make a week's worth of plain oatmeal from steel cut oats (or groats) + coconut milk + water. Every morning I microwave a portion and add some sugar, and flavor it with a different spice (cinnamon, ginger, or nutmeg) and some kind of fruit (frozen anything are the easiest). And of course you could go savory too.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Normally I wouldn't suggest a rice cooker cause cooking rice is the easiest thing in the world (just soak rice for 20 mins, then put 2 parts of water to 1 part rice, bring to boil, then simmer for 10-12 mins, then let stand for 5 mins), and if you want some in the morning for some reason, just make a batch the night before and refrigerate. the induction cooker recommendation is great, along with the instant pot. I bought an instant pot last year and it's honestly the #1 thing I use in the kitchen when I cook. Made stew the other day and the melt in the mouth beef / lamb never gets old.

Only problem you'd have is clean up like you say, but don't you have a communal kitchen? Cook meals in your room, then take the dirty pots and pans and plates and wash them up after at the kitchen.

instant pot > rice cooker imo, cause you can actually saute stuff in it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Qubee posted:

Normally I wouldn't suggest a rice cooker cause cooking rice is the easiest thing in the world .

I've never understood this mindset. Yes, rice is easy to do on the stove. But you know what's is even easier AND opens up a burner for other things? A rice cooker. Press button, get rice. If anyone has space for a rice cooker and eats rice frequently, why wouldn't you get one?

Occasionally I forget I had rice started on the stove and forget to turn it down so I scorch the bottom. With a rice cooker, as soon as I know I want rice I can just throw it in and forget it,because as soon as it's done it goes on warm mode and keeps it perfect for up to 4 hours. And this is a $30 cooker, not a fancy Panasonic or zoji.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
An instant pot is amazing. Grab some pork loin, throw it in with a can of dr pepper for about an hour and a half and bam, shredded pork for the week. Use it in sandwiches, burritos, in a stir fry, omelettes, whatever else you can think of it.

Could do this with chicken breast too, or really any meat. Just pork loin is the cheapest per pound in my area. Its also extremely lazy, bunch of online recipes say to saute every side of the loin but... honestly I struggle to taste a difference between sauteing it and not. Certainly not enough to justify the extra time + oil evaporation coating the edges that are a bitch to clean.

Leal fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 11, 2018

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Leal posted:

An instant pot is amazing. Grab some pork loin, throw it in with a can of dr pepper for about an hour and a half and bam, shredded pork for the week. Use it in sandwiches, burritos, in a stir fry, omelettes, whatever else you can think of it.

You heard it here folks. Braise all your meats in Dr Pepper.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Instant pot sounds great, is there any particular one thats a good one or w/e? I'm just looking to order something off amazon.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Instant pot is a brand name, it's a series of electric pressure cookers

Grab the 8qt and you're good to go, though sadly you just missed out on the best sale for one there's ever been

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Since we are chatting about instant pots, I made the corn risotto from serious eats and it was nothing but paste. I followed the recipe, 4 minutes on low pressure then turned it off, the only difference is I was cooking steaks and waited about two minutes before releasing the steam. Is that what ruined the rice? First time I made risotto in an instant pot.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Suspect Bucket posted:

You heard it here folks. Braise all your meats in Dr Pepper.
My grandmother's recipe for a big ham involves coating it in mustard, brown sugar, ginger and pepper, sticking cloves in it all over and basting it with a mix of Dr. Pepper and Miller High Life for a few hours and man is it good.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My grandmother's recipe for a big ham involves coating it in mustard, brown sugar, ginger and pepper, sticking cloves in it all over and basting it with a mix of Dr. Pepper and Miller High Life for a few hours and man is it good.

I gotta remember that one.

Suggestions on what to do with a big Virginia Country Ham? I bought it for my mom when I was in Waverly, VA (spitting distance from Smithfield) because I guess I assumed she'd know what to do with it, but she's claiming ignorance.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Shave thin and eat as party of a charcuterie plate.

Slice a bit thicker and fry up with eggs, grits, and redeye gravy.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

For those of us living in countries where the Instant Pot isn't being sold, what's a good alternative?

I've been looking at the Philips All-In-One and was also wondering if any goons have tried it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Annath posted:

I gotta remember that one.

Suggestions on what to do with a big Virginia Country Ham? I bought it for my mom when I was in Waverly, VA (spitting distance from Smithfield) because I guess I assumed she'd know what to do with it, but she's claiming ignorance.
They can be a little funky, to me in a good way, but not to everyone’s taste. They’re usually very salty compared to a grocery store precooked ham. They make great ham biscuits or sandwiches with mayo and Dijon and Swiss toasted or just for breakfast or sliced like Casu Marzu said. Chop some up fine and add to/sautéed with green beans. The bones are great for soup etc. obviously

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I picked up a Zojirushi (NP-HCC10XH) rice cooker a year ago. I use it basically everyday and it’s pretty amazing. Pricey though and it’s not even a top of the line model.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wormil posted:

Since we are chatting about instant pots, I made the corn risotto from serious eats and it was nothing but paste. I followed the recipe, 4 minutes on low pressure then turned it off, the only difference is I was cooking steaks and waited about two minutes before releasing the steam. Is that what ruined the rice? First time I made risotto in an instant pot.

probably...i made it with a traditional stovetop PC and its suuuuuper loving good. easily one of the best new recipes i've made this year.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I went to a 2 star michelin restaurant and they gave me these seed things as one of the parting gifts. Not chewable, but smacking one with with a mallet led to an edible, spicy, nut-like interior sort of like wasabi or horseradish. What are these?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Mexican jumping beans

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Leal posted:

Could do this with chicken breast too, or really any meat. Just pork loin is the cheapest per pound in my area. Its also extremely lazy, bunch of online recipes say to saute every side of the loin but... honestly I struggle to taste a difference between sauteing it and not. Certainly not enough to justify the extra time + oil evaporation coating the edges that are a bitch to clean.

Yeah but can I use it to make DUMP MEALS?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wormil posted:

Mexican jumping beans

These are small, like a peppercorn size, have a bumpy surface, and a solid interior.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

baquerd posted:

These are small, like a peppercorn size, have a bumpy surface, and a solid interior.

It was a joke. The idea of someone being given jumping beans then eating them by mistake is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I didn't get the joke at first, I thought you were being serious, but now I can't stop laughing