Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Always thinking about the safety of their citizens, "whats that, almost a thousand inmates and 120 or so guards at imminent risk of dying in a storm surge flood? Lol who cares they're inmates"

- Dexter Lee, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

mods changed my name posted:

has anyone got to this part of the new book?

https://uproxx.com/news/trump-gary-cohn-print-money/

Basically Trump thought that the answer to solving national debt was to print more money

Part of me want's to lmao but part of me is 100% not shocked by this at all

edit:

It could be done.

wiki posted:

The concept of striking a trillion dollar coin that would generate one trillion dollars in seigniorage, which would be off-budget, or numismatic profit, which would be on-budget, and be transferred to the Treasury, is based on the authority granted by Section 31 U.S.C. § 5112 of the United States Code for the Treasury Department to "mint and issue platinum bullion coins" in any denominations the Secretary of the Treasury may choose. Thus, if the Treasury were to mint one trillion dollar coins, it could deposit such coins at the Federal Reserve's Treasury account instead of issuing new debt.[4][5][6][7]

31 U.S.C. 5112(k) as originally enacted by Public Law 104-208 in 1996:

The Secretary may mint and issue bullion and proof platinum coins in accordance with such specifications, designs, varieties, quantities, denominations, and inscriptions as the Secretary, in the Secretary's discretion, may prescribe from time to time.

In 2000, the word "bullion" was replaced with "platinum bullion coins".[8]

Platinum bullion coins can, by this statute, be minted in any denomination, whereas coins in any other specified metal are restricted to amounts of $50, $25, $10, $5 and $1.[9] This is the origin of the concept of minting a very high denomination coin, since the platinum clause provides the only loophole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trillion_dollar_coin

It was suggested Obama do that during the Debt Ceiling crisis.

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 12, 2018

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SimonCat posted:

It could be done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trillion_dollar_coin

It was suggested Obama do that during the Debt Ceiling crisis.

It wasn't suggested by anyone credible and only picked up by RWNJs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
DEEP STATE DEEP STATE DEEP STATE

https://twitter.com/GeorgePapa19/status/1039331726672187393

https://twitter.com/GeorgePapa19/status/1039275949718683654

https://twitter.com/GeorgePapa19/status/1039269688436568064

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

It wasn't suggested by anyone credible and only picked up by RWNJs.

Still legal, USD are a fiat currency.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'd suggest burning SC to the ground again but it's gonna be so waterlogged by the end of the week it'll never hold a flame.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Has anyone heard if they are planning on shutting down whatever nuclear generating plants are running in the Carolina's and or VA?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I mean, he was also party leader of the Liberal Party of Australia and Leader of the Opposition, a high level diplomat, foreign minister, and a bunch of other poo poo. Yeah he's a conservative twit and a lovely person, but he's sure accomplished a lot more than Pappadop ever will.

Is he going to jail or what?

edit: Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxAEll95Sgw

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

So the Ft Irwin command billets Recreational Park??

Rigg's Trailer in LW :v:

Hey this was the plot of the 2009 Nicholas Cage Joint "Bad Lieutenant: New Orleans" or whatever

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

sharknado slashfic posted:

Rigg's Trailer in LW

Hey this was the plot of the 2009 Nicholas Cage Joint "Bad Lieutenant: New Orleans" or whatever

Prison guards abused the gently caress outta inmates during the Katrina fiasco

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Prison guards abused the gently caress outta inmates during the Katrina fiasco

Yeah. The beginning of the movie has him (very reluctantly) saving a drowning inmate (in the Katrina flooding) and injuring himself or something which leads to him becoming a drug addict.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

SimonCat posted:

Still legal, USD are a fiat currency.

I don't think his quibble is with the legality, friendo

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/Will_Bunch/status/1039683319741509632?s=19

lol if ICE ends up doing hurricane relief

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Has a first world nation ever actually tried it, though?

I know plenty of lovely banana republics have destroyed their currencies by printing more currency, but I'm not entirely convinced a fiat currencie'd OECD power couldn't do it without tanking their economy.

It's probably too risky to gamble on but still.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

Yeah. The beginning of the movie has him (very reluctantly) saving a drowning inmate (in the Katrina flooding) and injuring himself or something which leads to him becoming a drug addict.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TsKrfIGaJY

"$23 for my copay; here's $40, get everyone a drink"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Don Dongington posted:

I know plenty of lovely banana republics have destroyed their currencies by printing more currency, but I'm not entirely convinced a fiat currencie'd OECD power couldn't do it without tanking their economy.

we kinda did, in the stagflation

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Don Dongington posted:

The government could just forgive all the bonds it owes itself, couldn't it?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SimonCat posted:

Yes I'm sure a government deciding a chunk of its debt doesn't matter will have no flow on effects

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1038871389036597249

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

SimonCat posted:

I could eat my own poo poo but I won't because that's an absolutely moronic idea

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I could eat my own poo poo but I won't because that's an absolutely moronic idea

Proud of you for not doing that

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Yes I'm sure a government deciding a chunk of its debt doesn't matter will have no flow on effects

Well, what effect would it have?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Syrian Lannister posted:

Has anyone heard if they are planning on shutting down whatever nuclear generating plants are running in the Carolina's and or VA?

But they don’t generate profit when shut down? :thunk:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

SimonCat posted:

Credibility would be shot, value of currency would drop, and interest rates would skyrocket, and basically every system that uses the USD would be destabilized

Not quite this https://youtu.be/noQsHiTJAXo

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Thinking too small: nationalize all domestic property owned by Russian or Chinese nationals or their thousands of shell corporations :getin:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SimonCat posted:

No idea, but I really doubt it would be good. I'm not an economist but you cant pull a move like that and expect it to go down well

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Anyone still in know if they still have those two old lovely subs in charleston for training and are they being forced to ride out this storm?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Thinking too small: nationalize all domestic property owned by Russian or Chinese nationals or their thousands of shell corporations :getin:

This isn't a terrible idea, especially if it's led by municipalities.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Onion continues to bring it

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1039201480597749761?s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Midtown Manhattan becomes the country’s largest government-run housing project.

Actually, you’re really on to something here.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Use the assets as leverage for general obligation bonds and cover the conversion w that. That or just get normal revenue bonds and pocket the difference to build pumps and sea walls

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Local Satire Publication Not Helping Things.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I love this poo poo

https://twitter.com/Relentlessbored/status/1039718648984870912

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Local Satire Publication Not Helping Things.

Satirists realize no one listening, begin readying for violence

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1039712520024588290

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bob dobbs is dead posted:

we kinda did, in the stagflation

As I understand it, (it ended the year i was born) the Stagflation period was kicked off by the rapid rise in oil prices, which lead to a massive increase in production costs. Central banks then tried to use economic stimuli to keep the economy going, as had worked in the past - but because this didn't address the root cause of the problem (insane relative production costs), all it did was inflate the poo poo out of the currency, while unemployment remained high.

Paying off state-held debts via issued currency in the absence of such conditions isn't necessarily guaranteed to cause similar conditions, in my opinion. Of course, in the hands of the current governments in the UK, US and AU, it would definitely result in negative conditions for the general public, while overwhelmingly benefiting the 1% - but I've seen nothing to convince me that a fiat nation, under controlled conditions with the right governance, couldn't wipe out debt with issued currency without tanking the dollar.

Of course, I'm under no delusions that the institutions that benefit from late-stage capitalism would not find a way to punish that government for "breaking the rules", nor that a subsequent neoliberal government wouldn't try the same trick without the safeties built in to protect the currency, and gently caress it up for everyone.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

So is this a gross failure of a federal agency or local gov't?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

So is this a gross failure of a federal agency or local gov't?

Something this stupid affords plenty of blame to go around

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

Weimar Germany turned out fine

Dammit Radium!

Also: The inland "S" is literally on top of my house can I shoot this thing for coming right at me or are hurricanes too white?

Furthermore, I'm offended by some of the items that weren't sold out at the grocery store. Y'all would really rather starve to death than eat salmon cakes?

And don't even get me started on the Dresden-rear end looking applesauce aisle that still had a full stock of unsweetened. Really? Really? You need extra sugar in some poo poo that's already MADE OUT OF loving FRUIT?

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 12, 2018

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Dude it's cool the President said no expense will be spared repairing any damage from Florence we will get it right this time :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Latest models apparently have Florence idling off the coast a bit and then turning south just after making landfall, NWS dudes are calling it the "storm of a lifetime".

I'm guessing coastal NC/SC isn't gonna be very happy about this

• Locked thread