Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

TheAgent posted:

feel free to quote the poo poo outta that, because CIG submitting that to court is going to make backers loose their fuckin minds

edit- i didn't ask for this
https://i.imgur.com/kD0nqiA.gifv

Morphix fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A mistranslation? LOL... that's stretching. Although i must admit, i frequrently mistranslate English into English.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I can't believe I wrote like a billion words and you come in and snipe the page. At least edit this post with your totally real accounts of what you did in Star Citizen the totally real The Matrix Galaxy today.

Remember there's so many things you can be. Why don't you talk about your experiences running data across blockades of a billion seamlessly integrated capital ships that were hundreds of miles long each full of players shooting each other between server meshes?

And then how you ended the night repairing your ship using different metals you acquired from various planets using your repairing laser systems and dedicated repair ship?

Because I'm dying to tell you about it but I don't think I have it in me tonight. :)

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

The Titanic posted:

I can't believe I wrote like a billion words and you come in and snipe the page. At least edit this post with your totally real accounts of what you did in Star Citizen the totally real The Matrix Galaxy today.

Remember there's so many things you can be. Why don't you talk about your experiences running data across blockades of a billion seamlessly integrated capital ships that were hundreds of miles long each full of players shooting each other between server meshes?

And then how you ended the night repairing your ship using different metals you acquired from various planets using your repairing laser systems and dedicated repair ship?

Because I'm dying to tell you about it but I don't think I have it in me tonight. :)

listen brother, let me tell you, sometimes you stare at space

but sometimes

it stares right back at ya

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Morphix posted:

listen brother, let me tell you, sometimes you stare at space

but sometimes

it stares right back at ya

In space, nobody can hear you make a purchase using your tokenized credit card for a new space jpeg.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
You know if you want a tutorial on some program, your only source will be a crappy youtube video with a hard to understand accent, with too quiet audio and a desk fan blowing into the microphone as they painfully describe what you need to know (or not) as slowly as humanly possible? That is also how I feel when listening to Chris Roberts speak. How people gave him money is beyond me.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
*Star Citizen is officially released*

"Wh-what are you doing, Morty!?"

"I-I don't know Rick, what just happened?"

"You ju-just released Star Citizen, Morty! You released it!"

"Oh god! Oh geeze! What's that's mean? I didn't mean to!"

"Well, Morty, it means you just killed Chris Roberts."

"Oh god no!"

"And his family too, Morty. Look at these little guys you killed. Look at these IMDb pages, Morty!"

"O-oh god Rick I didn't mean it! I'm just a kid Rick! Are they gonna arrest me?"

"No, no Morty. They w-won't arrest you. They might kill you though. Not right away at least. First this guy in black and a rifle is going to come for you."

*Morty falls to his knees, holding his head*

"Yeah Morty. Ju-just loving wait because I saw what these guys do. Look at these loving YouTube comments, Morty. Look how loving insane these motherfuckers are."

"Oh god, Rick! And that guy, he-he..."

"Yuh.. yuh he did. And they didn't even care. Man, once they get your juicy rear end. Morty... we-we can't let that happen!"

"What am I gonna do Rick! I-I don't even know what a Star Citizen is!"

"We-we're gonna change history, Morty! We're going to another dimension! One where Star Citizen never released accidentally!"

"Rick we already did that once and I buried my dead corpse! That's sick, Rick! This is a bad idea!"

"It's the only way, Morty. It's the only way! Come on! I hear those angry hordes at the- the door already!"

"I don't hear anything, Rick."

"It's cause-because... gently caress it Morty just jump in here! Hurry we got to go! Look at these IMDb pages!"

"Oh oh god Rick I'm going!"

"Th-that's good, Morty. loving.. Star Citizen death squad almost here."

*new dimension with unreleased Star Citizen, scene 2, act 4*

"Well, Morty, th-that was a close a call. A real close call. Looks like we're two weeks from release now."

"Oh my god, Rick. I-I what's going to happen now! W-we can't let it release?"

"There's only one thing we have to do now. We got to find these, loving programmers, and break their wrists."

"What!??!"

"It's the only way, Morty! Grab that hammer! Come on, d-do it! loving pick it up now! We've got some wrists to break!"

"Oh god, Rick this is horrible! I loving hate you!"

"You'll get over it, Morty. Once you're not anally raped by fat neckbearded mongrels. You'll th-th-thank me for this, Morty."

"N-no. I hate you, Rick!"

"Well, if you hate this, what do you think about the teenage mutant ninja turtles, Hello Kitty, Dune, Douglas Adams corpse, and a handful of poo poo from Alien and your loving Halo game? B-because after we break some wrists we've got a f-few other things we have to do too!"

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

The Titanic posted:

"Oh god no!"

"And his family too, Morty. Look at these little guys you killed. Look at these IMDb pages, Morty!"

"O-oh god Rick I didn't mean it! I'm just a kid Rick! Are they gonna arrest me?"

"No, no Morty. They w-won't arrest you. They might kill you though. Not right away at least. First this guy in black and a rifle is going to come for you."

"Yeah Morty. Ju-just loving wait because I saw what these guys do. Look at these loving YouTube comments, Morty. Look how loving insane these motherfuckers are."

"Yuh.. yuh he did. And they didn't even care. Man, once they get your juicy rear end. Morty... we-we can't let that happen!"

"We-we're gonna change history, Morty! We're going to another dimension! One where Star Citizen never released accidentally!"

"Rick we already did that once and I buried my dead corpse! That's sick, Rick! This is a bad idea!"

"It's the only way, Morty. It's the only way! Come on! I hear those angry hordes at the- the door already!"

"It's cause-because... gently caress it Morty just jump in here! Hurry we got to go! Look at these IMDb pages!"

"Well, Morty, th-that was a close a call. A real close call. Looks like we're two weeks from release now."

"There's only one thing we have to do now. We got to find these, loving programmers, and break their wrists."

"What!??!"

"It's the only way, Morty! Grab that hammer! Come on, d-do it! loving pick it up now! We've got some wrists to break!"

"You'll get over it, Morty. Once you're not anally raped by fat neckbearded mongrels. You'll th-th-thank me for this, Morty."

"Well, if you hate this, what do you think about the teenage mutant ninja turtles, Hello Kitty, Dune, Douglas Adams corpse, and a handful of poo poo from Alien and your loving Halo game? B-because after we break some wrists we've got a f-few other things we have to do too!"

This was beautiful,

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

like normally it'd be a press account and locked to certain people but they are giving them out to private accounts, where you can do whatever the gently caress you want with them

welcome to the beginning of a gray market crash (although it seriously can't get much lower anyway)

How do I get in on this? I've got a youtube account with a a dozen or so subs, thats never been associated with CIG.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
star citizen is the best game

man i cant wait for the final boss, 'Crasherus Implodus'

also when does love pledge deliver me my new PC?????? I have been streaming round table discussions going on 6 months now this is very frustrating

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the outside world is full of idiots who don't understand what's important it's just star citizen one hundred years star citizen forever and ever star citizen a hundred days forever a hundred times over and over star citizen dot com w w w dot star citizen dot com every minute star citizen dot com a hundred times forever and ever all day

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Golli posted:

3.3.1a System requirements have changed. 60 qubit processor is needed.

Don't worry, Sandi is lobbing to get it working at a 42 qubit processor, too.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Hobold posted:

How do I get in on this? I've got a youtube account with a a dozen or so subs, thats never been associated with CIG.

I've got some bad news for you, you know Star Citizen? The Totally Real Game? You have to play it.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

"You're lying, provide proof or STFU !"

*provides proof*

"Oh, they just made a small mistake, nothing to see here, move on".

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The Titanic posted:

Season 4 does not disappoint.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Somebody should ask this fine commando if the lack of worm/sandstorm presented in 2016 as "totally not a demo" is a mistranslation or miscommunication, too ?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Titanic posted:

I've written a metric fuckton of lore tonight guys. I hope you all enjoy it. Read it in the native language of the teenage mutant ninja turtles race for full impact. :black101:

Cowabunga! Please marry me. :eyepop:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Soarer posted:

Any updates on the lawsuit since they resubmitted the complaint after the hint hint from the judge?

‘Start your discovery, we have a conference on October 12th’

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

Why?

Why would anybody have been so stupid as to think they literally got an api connection between their bank income and some stupid internet graph? Of course it was an estimation and not reflecting reality.

I have this feeling CIG is going to come out of this so clean it's going to make people's heads spin, while they continue to shove art assets down peoples throats.

The best part will be when 99% of CIG turns out to actually be a marketing company dedicated to helping people make money off of their kickstarter projects and other things. Star Citizen is just a tiny little piece of that bigger conglomerate of marketing and is just an ongoing experiment and demo for prospective clients to see and evaluate before purchasing layers of marketing capabilities.

It will be one of the dozens of shell companies behind shell companies that actually turns out to be a genuine company somewhere, well versed in stealth marketing tactics to control public opinion.

Of course I may totally be wrong and it's really just a poo poo tier game studio run by a talking toupee wearing dick running an art asset store backed by lies. But they are "trying to make a game!" And are just hugely lacking in talent but thank heavens they have awesome artists and marketers on hand to make up for it! :grin:

Being cripplingly terrible at making a video game is not going to be the huge crime everybody is hoping for.

I wanted to trim back this to the initial ‘why?’, because it’s actually illegal to print material that misstates their financial posiition while they take payments based on future realization.

_illegal_, not just ill-advised. An admission in court that it’s fun-accurate opens the door for deceptive practices, and gives the fence-mounted whale a hell of an out.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

I wanted to trim back this to the initial ‘why?’, because it’s actually illegal to print material that misstates their financial posiition while they take payments based on future realization.

_illegal_, not just ill-advised. An admission in court that it’s fun-accurate opens the door for deceptive practices, and gives the fence-mounted whale a hell of an out.

I guess we'll see if they zero in on this then. I see it like one of those money thermometers at a school or a fund raising campaign. Is it 100% accurate? Well obviously not. But it's probably representative of where they think they are.

I want this to go up in flames, with the great Disney ending where CR and his group have to publicly admit they mislead everybody and that he's hugely inept and flat out lied to the world.

I don't believe this is going to happen, but one can still hope for the best. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Cowabunga! Please marry me. :eyepop:

I'm full of danger and fetishes the likes of which you would never approve of! It's not you, it's me! Forgive me, senpai, for I am not worthy!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

I'm full of danger and fetishes the likes of which you would never approve of! It's not you, it's me! Forgive me, senpai, for I am not worthy!

He’s only after you for your torque.

School funding thermometers generally stop well short of millions, don’t come with a rate card and tend to be -accurate-*. It’s one of those things i’m watching for, because it’s the coverup, etc.

If they do catch anything from it, it would be a slapped wrist or a fine, but it would be an indicator or ‘intent’.

* and ‘finite’, right now, they’re just taking money with no forecast realization date and no real promise.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 12, 2018

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

The Titanic posted:

"Oh god no!"

"What!??!"

:kiss:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

He’s only after you for your torque.

School funding thermometers generally stop well short of millions, don’t come with a rate card and tend to be -accurate-*. It’s one of those things i’m watching for, because it’s the coverup, etc.

If they do catch anything from it, it would be a slapped wrist or a fine, but it would be an indicator or ‘intent’.

* and ‘finite’, right now, they’re just taking money with no forecast realization date and no real promise.

I knew he was only using me for my massive, lush... transportation potential. :(

What I know about legal entanglements you can fit into a tiny thimble so small that only a mouse with an amputated paw could barely fit their crusted little stump of a tiny wrist into.

I look forward to all the things! I just feel like the people in CIG are so slimy they're going to slime out of this and come out on top like they always seem to do.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Would you make it fun and chain me to the wall with nothing but a half working Microsoft Surface Pro and a dead AAAA battery in the stylus with no tip while demanding AAA quality work so you can sell it this month?

Because I want the full experience here. :colbert:
gotta clear it with HR first

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

I knew he was only using me for my massive, lush... transportation potential. :(

What I know about legal entanglements you can fit into a tiny thimble so small that only a mouse with an amputated paw could barely fit their crusted little stump of a tiny wrist into.

I look forward to all the things! I just feel like the people in CIG are so slimy they're going to slime out of this and come out on top like they always seem to do.

There’s no justice, there’s just the pain of large groups of stupid people to sustain me in this, most basic of times. I’m all in for schadenfreude, which i couldn’t spell in 2015.

Then again, i didn’t expect Holmes to catch a fraud charge, and i’ve mentioned that i’m like professionally wrong for a living.

It’s a journey, not the destination.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Titanic posted:

*Sweats profusely*

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
But seriously, when the gently caress is Citizencon again?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But seriously, when the gently caress is Citizencon again?

wednesday october the 10th

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Hav posted:

There’s no justice, there’s just the pain of large groups of stupid people to sustain me in this, most basic of times. I’m all in for schadenfreude, which i couldn’t spell in 2015.

Then again, i didn’t expect Holmes to catch a fraud charge, and i’ve mentioned that i’m like professionally wrong for a living.

It’s a journey, not the destination.

The fraud charge is gonna be tough - but not impossible. It depends where they decide to draw the line. If you represent yourself as a doctor and you're not, it's pretty clear - because becoming a doctor is highly regulated and tracked and has oversight and committees.

If you claim you're an architect it's similar. If you claim you're a plumber it gets hazy, but you can check if someone is licensed, bonded, insured etc.

If you claim you're a game developer and then steal $200 million as you fail all over the place, is it fraud? There are no official regulated hurdles to clear to claim you're a game developer. I can make a tic-tac-toe game right now on my phone and claim the title.

Apparently after I do that, I can go online and tell the world I'm going to make a game and only Rockstar has a chance to catch me because I'm using the power in the machines to create tech never been done before because the publishers were too scared and nobody thought of it. And that, evidently, isn't fraud because "game development is hard?"

It's a really tough call. Chris is shades of stupid rarely seen before, and he definitely thinks he's something he's not. But does that absolve him, much like he absolves himself?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Daztek posted:

wednesday october the 10th

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA A loving WEDNESDAY!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Morphix posted:

https://i.imgur.com/GOS8OYb.gifv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lBmNXMxW-4

watch the first 30 seconds with music to get the full effect

looks like Roberts is aping The Shining. What this means for Star Citizen, or how this communicates a healthy and normal project, that I'm not sure about

I legit thought you had faked that clip about Lando sitting around with pills in an otherwise abandoned building. Until I watched the actual video :eyepop:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA A loving WEDNESDAY!

It is sandwiched between two weekends with a major festival happening in Austin. So not only is it Wednesday, but hotels are also a nightmare to book.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

The Titanic posted:

"Oh god no!"

"What!??!"

this was actually pretty good

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Can't wait for the eventual crazy backer to claim that Battlefield V was delayed by a month because the game that's releasing is too scared of the magic of Citizencon (which they will obviously release Squadron 42 for)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tokamak posted:

It is sandwiched between two weekends with a major festival happening in Austin. So not only is it Wednesday, but hotels are also a nightmare to book.

A wednesday, eh? *Nods in approval as he books the week off from work for an unfinished game*

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Wakes up.
Titanic has written a book.

Thanks for making the coffee more enjoyable :D

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dogeh posted:

Wakes up.
Titanic has written a book.

Thanks for making the coffee more enjoyable :D

:glomp:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Scruffpuff posted:

The fraud charge is gonna be tough - but not impossible. It depends where they decide to draw the line. If you represent yourself as a doctor and you're not, it's pretty clear - because becoming a doctor is highly regulated and tracked and has oversight and committees.

If you claim you're an architect it's similar. If you claim you're a plumber it gets hazy, but you can check if someone is licensed, bonded, insured etc.

If you claim you're a game developer and then steal $200 million as you fail all over the place, is it fraud? There are no official regulated hurdles to clear to claim you're a game developer. I can make a tic-tac-toe game right now on my phone and claim the title.

Apparently after I do that, I can go online and tell the world I'm going to make a game and only Rockstar has a chance to catch me because I'm using the power in the machines to create tech never been done before because the publishers were too scared and nobody thought of it. And that, evidently, isn't fraud because "game development is hard?"

It's a really tough call. Chris is shades of stupid rarely seen before, and he definitely thinks he's something he's not. But does that absolve him, much like he absolves himself?
Fraud is an intent to deceive. It requires the mens rea of "I'm doing something shady and will lie by commission or omission about important details in order to profit." The examples above are easy to prove this mental state -- you are objectively a doctor or not. You are or are not an architect, or a civil engineer, or an attorney. These are states that you can be and can prove by producing on demand the appropriate paperwork. Saying otherwise is a misrepresentation about your legal status which is easy to demonstrate and would only be done to explicitly deceive for personal gain. Easy peasy. Theranos was fraud because -- and this is an important thing here -- Holmes went to investors and said "I totally have a great way to violate all which is known about DNA testing!" and a bunch of (non-expert) people she knew vouched for her. In the aftermath when you can't in fact break the laws of physics and then ask for forgiveness later and is not the same thing as Uber breaking the local ordinances for ride hiring, and there isn't a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, the investors were defrauded when their venture capital went up "poof" based on demonstrable evidence that Holmes lied early and often about the product she was peddling.

The customers she served with her illusory technology? gently caress you I guess.

To bring this back to Crobbers: for a prosecution, can they prove that he, in his heart of hearts, know that this project he was selling an impossible task? Did he believe that the sizzle reel handed to him by Crytek oh so many years ago could never be a game, hid that fact, and then called everyone to pledge for an illusory goal that could never be reached? Is that something someone can, without doubt, prove in a court of law that Crobbers at some point switched from visionary to outright fraud? That's a very high bar to pass. That's harder to prove from a consumer perspective (which is why Theranos was attacked in the way it was, and also because we're in a nightmare oligarchy) because well, here's a product, isn't it great? What it doesn't work? It's still in alpha, sorry, here's a partial discount on your next Theranos testing service.

Is it fraud to try and fail if you believe you can still do it in your delusional little bear mind? That's a genuine question of law that needs to be answered before you can even approach a grand jury with charges. And that's no, because trying without intent to deceive people about the fact you're trying to make a game lacks the requisite elements of the crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

kw0134 posted:

To bring this back to Crobbers: for a prosecution, can they prove that he, in his heart of hearts, know that this project he was selling an impossible task?

I wanted to pick out this one part to ask this question: is there a difference between it being a truly impossible task, or it only being impossible for Chris Roberts because once he smelled money he kept increasing the scope until the project became impossible?

Wing Commander 2014 wasn't exactly a pie-in-the-sky concept.