Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Star Man posted:

You're only getting Living End out of that, but sure.

Ha. Yeah. I caught that on the quick edit. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Walked posted:

Question for judges and folks who know more than me:

At Comp REL; a player casts an uncounterable creature (due to a Cavern of Souls). The other player casts Force of Will. Both players allow the card to be countered.

Is this a GRV for both players; nobody, or what?

Both I believe, and it's cheating if either player knew it shouldn't be contered but let it be anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I gotta say, the fact that this can tutor for living end even when you have no creatures in the yard doesn't seem super relevant given living end's text

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Went 3-0 tonight in Dominaria draft. Went and drafted green-white and put together a saproling token build with a Shalai, Pegasus Coursers, and the 3/2 Avens.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

This is handy to know what is valuable in a given set: http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz

basically almost any creature from early sets is worthless

GoutPatrol posted:

Yes to playing. You can use cards in any language. But Chinese cards, traditional or simplified, are usually a little cheaper than English cards. If you don't know the name of the card, look it up from the number and set number, those are the same in every language.

Thanks! You two just made me $25 :haw:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

cheetah7071 posted:

I gotta say, the fact that this can tutor for living end even when you have no creatures in the yard doesn't seem super relevant given living end's text

Sometimes you need to cascade into a card to put Living End in your hand.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sometimes you really don't wanna run Zealous Persecution but now you have a reason to I guess?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rutibex posted:

Thanks! You two just made me $25 :haw:

:eng101: That card is Japanese, not Chinese

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bad

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

no ellipsis, 1/5

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Why is this not expansion // expulsion :mad:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

This would be more interesting if either side of this is attached to a different split card. Copying spells is rarely worth the extra card and mana investment (if it's your spell it's rarely worth the extra card and mana, if it's the opponent's spell most of the time you'd rather just counter it then mirror the effect) but when it's good it can be really good. Meanwhile, while UURR is generally way too goddamn much to have to invest before even seeing anything out of the other side I could see it being an interesting option to have for a game running long for U/R Wizards or something as a way to blow a thing up and get some fuel back in your hand. Both of these are options I would be cool to have attached to a spell you're more likely to cast but, well, since they're stapled together it's just a junk rare unless something really wacky goes on with Standard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Disdainful Stroke is back

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
New cycle of Mana rocks

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Who's excited for more cluestones?

But actually being card advantage in the late game means these could be worth playing, idk

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Vivid Revival
Sorcery
Return up to three target multicolor cards from your graveyard to your hand. Exile Vivid Revival.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Limited plants. The more control-oriented ones like Dimir will probably be happy to run one to ramp and eventually sac for cards- as long as the format isn't so fast that you're going to get run over for spending turn 3 playing a mana rock, they'll be ok. (I see you there, Boros...)

These are worse for splashing then Cluestones since you need four colored mana symbols to crack them for cards but you'll still probably grab ones in your splash color if you're running a 3+ color deck just to have a colorless way to fix. Unlike Cluestones, the cost to crack for a card is also prohibitive enough that I can't imagine running more then one in anything but a dedicated ramp deck.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Jabor posted:

Who's excited for more cluestones?

But actually being card advantage in the late game means these could be worth playing, idk

The issue I see is that if your deck needs the color fixing it'll likely have a hard time cracking the locket, and if your deck can crack the locket it likely doesn't need the fixing.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I wonder if they are planning on printing something that would loop Vivid Revival, since the only historical card that does at anything approaching a reasonable rate is Izzet Chronarch.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

The issue I see is that if your deck needs the color fixing it'll likely have a hard time cracking the locket, and if your deck can crack the locket it likely doesn't need the fixing.

It's all hybrid costs, so I guess it helps you splash? Like if you have a UR deck with a W splash, the Boros one can help you cast your white spells, but you could spend RRRW to draw cards off it if you've already found your Plains.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I wonder if they are planning on printing something that would loop Vivid Revival, since the only historical card that does at anything approaching a reasonable rate is Izzet Chronarch.

It's just a fairly standard rider they put on spells like this now

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

It bugs me a lot that explosion doesn't follow the Sphinx's rev Mana cost template, woulda been neat

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Saw these on Facebook, unsure of the source.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Seems my phone makes it that I need to do these one at a time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I like all the golgari and dimir cards, they have a lot of cool stuff going on

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BizarroAzrael posted:

Saw these on Facebook, unsure of the source.

Unknown Shores/Painted Bluffs with a potential upside to compensate you for playing off-curve? Kinda neat, but I'm not sure whether that tips it over into being constructed playable.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Jabor posted:

Unknown Shores/Painted Bluffs with a potential upside to compensate you for playing off-curve? Kinda neat, but I'm not sure whether that tips it over into being constructed playable.

I would say almost certainly not, even if you could pay a creature deck of only gold critters. Unless something good with an effect like Champion of Wits that gets value from being bigger. Suppose it might help grow Mentor guys so they can impart more counters on the smaller guys.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

delve has seen better days

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

dragon enthusiast posted:

delve has seen better days

Nemesis of Mortals in Theros was very playable in Sidisi Whip decks, but they also had commune with the gods and satyr wayfinder to dump stuff.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I only just noticed it's uncommon, so it seems fine to excellent in limited and being just a 6/6 vanilla on the field probably not meant as a constructed card.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think people are going to sleep on this a little bit, if for no other reason than the fact that Wizards has rarely been able to balance any sort of cost-reduction effect.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

I think people are going to sleep on this a little bit, if for no other reason than the fact that Wizards has rarely been able to balance any sort of cost-reduction effect.

The problem is this doesn't really do anything worth jumping through hoops for, it's just a big dumb idiot.

Like, you could play a bunch of bad synergy cards to fill your graveyard with creatures, in order to accelerate this guy out on turn 4, or you could just ... play the 4 mana 6/6 hexproof dude.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Big dumb idiot that you have to jump through hoops for also describes Gurmag Angler, Hollow One... Tarmogoyf...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

The problem is this doesn't really do anything worth jumping through hoops for, it's just a big dumb idiot.

Like, you could play a bunch of bad synergy cards to fill your graveyard with creatures, in order to accelerate this guy out on turn 4, or you could just ... play the 4 mana 6/6 hexproof dude.

I'm not saying that it'll be an all-star for Eternal formats or anything, I just think that if there's any sort of graveyard-based deck in Standard then it'll be in it.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Gustav posted:

Big dumb idiot that you have to jump through hoops for also describes Gurmag Angler, Hollow One... Tarmogoyf...

Yeah but on those you get the big dumb idiot for 1-2 mana after you jump through the hoops

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

C-Euro posted:

I'm not saying that it'll be an all-star for Eternal formats or anything, I just think that if there's any sort of graveyard-based deck in Standard then it'll be in it.

There might be a GY deck but I don't know if it makes it, being just a vanilla 6/6 body and unlikely to be cast before t5. Unless you can really get something out of grabbing a land. Perhaps a Gate interaction or recurring sac lands.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Still waiting for a good mentor card...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the hoops you jump through for Tarmogoyf are literally "play the cards you wanted to play anyway". I guess for Gurmag Angler the hoop is "play the cards you wanted to play anyway, but also put a very slightly suboptimal cantrip in your deck if it's Modern"

Like, I actually do agree; I do think this card is worth keeping an eye on and even in older formats it could possibly fit in somewhere, but I think it's probably costed safely enough to not make it. The thing is, it's much easier to fill your graveyard with random cards than with specifically creatures that quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tainen posted:

Still waiting for a good mentor card...