Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Meat is pretty high in vitamin c if not overcooked. There's definitely other nutritional disorders an all-cow diet is flirting with (especially if you don't eat the organs), but not actual scurvy.

Meat isn't particularly high in vitamin C(some organ meat is, liver especially), but the main thing is that it competes with/is inhibited by glucose and so the lack of carbs/sugar means the relatively little amount of vitamin C is sufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Quote-Unquote posted:

A thing that actually happened and is in no way STDH

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1039670098435424257

I mean, even odds on it actually coming from a cop, but I have no issue believing that there exists a racist officer in the Toronto PD who feels stifled by being told he shouldn't be racist.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
officer albert einstein

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Thank you for your message, brave officer... and thank you also for immediately ending it by saying you won't follow up or message me again, so people can't ask for any more details or evidence that I didn't make this poo poo up.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Quote-Unquote posted:

A thing that actually happened and is in no way STDH

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1039670098435424257

I really appreciate how the cop says he is taking a chance dm'ing prison paul as if PC culture has so taken over that his superiors finding out he messaged some random internet shut would result in him being fired not them asking who the gently caress is Paul Joseph Watson and why should we care

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

pjw also retweeted an article on how roosh “rape should be legal” v is being unfairly maligned on Amazon

won’t somebody think of the oppressed conservative rapists?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Lol cops in Toronto are the most racist in the entire country

They even work openly with white supremacist groups

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Fried Watermelon posted:

Lol cops in Toronto are the most racist in the entire country

They even work openly with white supremacist groups

That's just 'cops'.

They still didn't contact a random British Nazi on Twitter to tell him how cool & good he is.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Look who is back on Twitter for a fifth time

https://twitter.com/jmannarino5?s=09

The goon who got his five other accounts banned, how did you report it? I don't see any report option for an account for evading a ban.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

The goon who got his five other accounts banned, how did you report it? I don't see any report option for an account for evading a ban.
Lowtax?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I'm a little late on the Peterson train, but maybe his experiment has some validity. Hear me out. A complicated way to discover if you have allergies to something is to eliminate practically everything in your diet, and then reintroduce things to find the culprit. Except that in this case, Peterson did what he always does, which is make false attributions to data and then universalize it.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

I always assumed they got ganked for doing the same poo poo again rather than proving to an outsourced report department that one guy is actually the same one that was running a dozen previous banned accounts.

Heavily photoshopping my face to own the libs

https://twitter.com/jmannarino5/status/1038962407106859008

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Knight posted:

I always assumed they got ganked for doing the same poo poo again rather than proving to an outsourced report department that one guy is actually the same one that was running a dozen previous banned accounts.

Heavily photoshopping my face to own the libs

https://twitter.com/jmannarino5/status/1038962407106859008

https://twitter.com/jmannarino5/status/1039263834551332864?s=19

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Don't you hate when you get photographed mid-smile.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/rodimusprime/status/1039358092075524096

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

During my foray into the world of beef, salt and water, I never heard a rebuttal to the science

quote:

There is so much evidence—abundant, copious evidence acquired over decades of work from scientists around the world—that most people benefit from eating fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, and seeds. This appears to be largely because fiber in plants is important to the flourishing of the gut microbiome. I ran this by some experts, just to make sure I wasn’t missing anything that might suggest a beef-salt diet is potentially something other than a bad idea. I learned that it was worse than I thought.

“Physiologically, it would just be an immensely bad idea,” Jack Gilbert, the faculty director at the University of Chicago’s Microbiome Center and a professor of surgery, told me during a recent visit to his lab. “A terribly, terribly bad idea.”

Gilbert has done extensive research on how the trillions of microbes in our guts digest food, and the look on his face when I told him about the all-beef diet was unamused. He began rattling off the expected ramifications: “Your body would start to have severe dysregulation, within six months, of the majority of the processes that deal with metabolism; you would have no short-chain fatty acids in your cells; most of the by-products of gastrointestinal polysaccharide fermentation would shut down, so you wouldn’t be able to regulate your hormone levels; you’d enter into cardiac issues due to alterations in cell receptors; your microbiota would just be devastated.”

While much of the internet has been following this story in a somewhat snide way, Gilbert appeared genuinely concerned and saddened: “If she does not die of colon cancer or some other severe cardiometabolic disease, the life—I can’t imagine.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/08/the-peterson-family-meat-cleanse/567613/

This guy is dumb as gently caress OP

e: misread it, I am the one who is owned.

Shageletic has issued a correction as of 16:11 on Sep 12, 2018

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

How can someone be incapable of cooking a steak? Make metal hot, put meat on metal.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Hellsau posted:

I don't understand how this grift works. Like is it just for attention? How is he making a profit out of this patently ridiculous 'diet'?
As others have said, it's not so much a grift as it is unchecked mental illness among hypochondriacs. There is a kind of religious zealotry among people trying to attain "wellness" that becomes an expression of their identity for the same type of people that already believe conspiracy theories or have an emotional need to be seen as a "free thinker." The appeal of thinking that everyone else is eating wrong and you know the one true diet that will cure all your ills is intoxicating to them. Diet is important to them because it also allows themselves a feeling of control in which they can both flex their willpower and purify their body of sin, while reinforcing this identity multiple times throughout the day and being able to make a performance of it to others. Someone on Twitter once pointed out that the trajectory of someone who adapts a wellness identity after experiencing an undefined medical issue is identical to that of someone who suddenly decides to purchase a bunch of firearms to defend themselves. There's a reason a whole bunch of these ideologies fit together.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Dr. Stab posted:

How can someone be incapable of cooking a steak? Make metal hot, put meat on metal.

I know someone that honestly has never cooked anything without a microwave. The concept of not just setting a time and waiting is terrifying to him - he won't even try things like 'put pasta in boiling water, wait a few minutes'.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its cool to grow up with helicopter parents, or whatever loving brain disease leaves you unable to cook.

like, im not good at it, but i can do it. same with like, sewing and basic home repairs. how can you possibly grow up so inept

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The best part is that there's no excuse for not being able to learn how to do that stuff in this, the era of youtube instructional videos for anything you can imagine

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Quote-Unquote posted:

I know someone that honestly has never cooked anything without a microwave. The concept of not just setting a time and waiting is terrifying to him - he won't even try things like 'put pasta in boiling water, wait a few minutes'.

Being afraid of cooking pasta should be considered a disability.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

cash crab posted:

I'm a little late on the Peterson train, but maybe his experiment has some validity. Hear me out. A complicated way to discover if you have allergies to something is to eliminate practically everything in your diet, and then reintroduce things to find the culprit. Except that in this case, Peterson did what he always does, which is make false attributions to data and then universalize it.

He and his daughter both tried reintroducing things and found that doing so hosed them up pretty badly, the daughter much more so, their immune systems are hosed.

Knight posted:

As others have said, it's not so much a grift as it is unchecked mental illness among hypochondriacs. There is a kind of religious zealotry among people trying to attain "wellness" that becomes an expression of their identity for the same type of people that already believe conspiracy theories or have an emotional need to be seen as a "free thinker." The appeal of thinking that everyone else is eating wrong and you know the one true diet that will cure all your ills is intoxicating to them. Diet is important to them because it also allows themselves a feeling of control in which they can both flex their willpower and purify their body of sin, while reinforcing this identity multiple times throughout the day and being able to make a performance of it to others. Someone on Twitter once pointed out that the trajectory of someone who adapts a wellness identity after experiencing an undefined medical issue is identical to that of someone who suddenly decides to purchase a bunch of firearms to defend themselves. There's a reason a whole bunch of these ideologies fit together.

Having your the cartilage in your joints disintegrate until you need an ankle and hip replaced rules out being mere hypochondriacs.

Shageletic posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/08/the-peterson-family-meat-cleanse/567613/

This guy is dumb as gently caress OP

quote:

Gilbert has done extensive research on how the trillions of microbes in our guts digest food, and the look on his face when I told him about the all-beef diet was unamused. He began rattling off the expected ramifications: “Your body would start to have severe dysregulation, within six months, of the majority of the processes that deal with metabolism; you would have no short-chain fatty acids in your cells; most of the by-products of gastrointestinal polysaccharide fermentation would shut down, so you wouldn’t be able to regulate your hormone levels; you’d enter into cardiac issues due to alterations in cell receptors; your microbiota would just be devastated.”
e: misread it, I am the one who is owned.

A Canadian ethnologist/explorer spent a decade doing his thing in the arctic and spent the vast majority of that time eating nothing but meat and he lived to the ripe old age of 82. He was part of a study in which he and another guy ate just meat and fat for a year.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It should make you a candidate for euthanasia.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Will Jorp actually die from this?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Dying of scurvy to own the libs

You don't get scurvy if you're eating meat from the grocery store because it still has enough vitamins left in it. To get scurvy in modern society you have to be eating a way more insane diet than JPee's.

Like nothing but uncooked ramen, beef jerky, and filtered water for months insane.

Vincent Van Goatse has issued a correction as of 17:42 on Sep 12, 2018

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

lohli posted:

Having your the cartilage in your joints disintegrate until you need an ankle and hip replaced rules out being mere hypochondriacs.
Oh, did the carnivore diet replace their joints, too?

If someone tells their doctor they have depression, psoriasis, allergic reactions to wifi and bugs under their skin, it is still entirely possible they are depressed and have psoriasis. That does not rule out mental instability or hypochondriasis.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

business hammocks posted:

Will Jorp actually die from this?

nothing good ever happens in this poo poo world, so no

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

As someone who still has mild anxiety issues related to cooking, it's not too surprising that a person who never got taught and could survive on microwaved meals/eating out would avoid it. You have to buy all the ingredients, and then hope you do it right, or you're either stuck with something gross or something completely inedible and then you've wasted all that money. Bundle that with a fear of failure in general and you've got a recipe :v: for someone who would rather avoid the stove forever!

Of course, it's not that hard to just learn to do it anyway, and once you get a few tries under your belt it's pretty painless. Other than when you're sauteeing and the oil jumps on you like an rear end in a top hat. :(

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Knight posted:

I have a friend that went down the latter rabbit hole. His wife's ex-boyfriend tried to kill him by waiting in his car and slitting his throat. A totally reasonable thing to make you fell unsafe. But since then he's degerated into a typical gun nut anti govrenment type. He started out just buying a pistol and not he owns like 3 dozen guns and thinks the government is turning frogs gay. I was a pretty surreal thing to watch happen. At least he's not racist.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

MrTargetPractice posted:

I have a friend that went down the latter rabbit hole. His wife's ex-boyfriend tried to kill him by waiting in his car and slitting his throat. A totally reasonable thing to make you fell unsafe. But since then he's degerated into a typical gun nut anti govrenment type. He started out just buying a pistol and not he owns like 3 dozen guns and thinks the government is turning frogs gay. I was a pretty surreal thing to watch happen. At least he's not racist.

[Narrator] He was.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ekuNNN posted:

from that article:

:psyduck:

edit: later on

Why is this journalist too incompetent to cook a steak?

lmbo:

you can have smoke and a damned fine steak. I always get smoke when searing my steaks, and they are perfect edge-to-edge medium rare with great browning.

how do you avoid it?

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

lohli posted:

A Canadian ethnologist/explorer spent a decade doing his thing in the arctic and spent the vast majority of that time eating nothing but meat and he lived to the ripe old age of 82. He was part of a study in which he and another guy ate just meat and fat for a year.

It should make you a candidate for euthanasia.

CLINICAL CALORIMETRY.
XLV. PROLONGED MEAT DIETS WITH A STUDY OF KIDNEY
FUNCTION AND KETOSIS.*
BY WALTER S. MCCLELLAN AND EUGENE F. Du BOIS.
(From the Russell Sage Institute of Pathology in AjZiation with the Second
Medical (Cornell) Division of Bellevue Hospital, New York.)
(Received for publication, February 13, 1930.)
* These studies were supported in part by a research grant from the
Institute of American Meat Packers.

:thunk:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

He'll do supernoodles in the microwave

He is just really loving stupid afaict

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm poo poo at cooking, I'll admit it. I loving hate it.

Still, waiting for Peterson to keel over.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I can't remember seeing someone get owned this loving hard.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Niwrad posted:

I can't remember seeing someone get owned this loving hard.

You mean, like slavery?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
There was an episode of house where the disease was scurvy

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A STEAK IN THE PAN.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/pedroliveira_/status/1039206265921196033

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frh
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/jmannarino5_/status/1039869350914740225?s=19

Only registered members can see post attachments!