Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Won’t make any difference. If your envelope has more than one ballot when opened by the counters, they will count as one vote if for the same party, or invalid if for two different parties.

To me, ballots behind the screens means the poll workers will have a harder time making sure nobody made off with the entire pile of a party’s ballots. They’d have to come behind the screens more often, which is disruptive and will look like they’re prying on and influencing votes.

How about this system, which is what we do in Finland. When you arrive to vote you are handed a single, folded paper by the poll worker, that has a circle inside that you can write one number on, then inside the booth all the parties and/or candidates are represented and so you can vote for anyone with a universal ballot paper, and you only get one to take with you into the booth. After you are done the ballot is stamped and put into a box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Fader Movitz posted:

Can someone explain what Västlänken is and why people hate it? I don't understand Gothenburg

A bit late but:
It's a big, expensive regional infrastructure project that involves a lot of train tunnels and multiple underground train stations across the city to make train commuting easier. This is to be mostly payed for by congestion fees on various roads leading into the inner city (such as it is), and will involve a whole lot of roadworks over the next decade.

Polls showed people in the city were (and are) ambivalent to negative about the thing. Rich bastards from the villaområden commuting by car absolutely hate it, both because of the fees and because half the inner city roads will be closed for a couple years, so they started a single issue party ("Vägvalet") to shut the thing down in 2010. They got 5% and some representation on the municipal council, where they complained loudly and put the congestion fees on the 2014 ballot with a result of 57% against keeping the congestion fees. The municipal council -- headed by S/V/MP but supported by all the non-SD parties on this issue -- responded with basically "that's nice, but this is a regional issue and riksdagen has already voted on and committed to paying for this project in this way. Unless you can get a concrete revision for the project passed there, kindly gently caress off". There was much shouting about whether this response was or was not democratic and respected the people's will of not wanting to pay money for things.

Martin Wannholt, one of the local M politicians, decided to go against the party line and oppose the congestion fees before the 2014 elections. M were not amused, and opted to not nominate him for re-election even though he'd gotten the most personal votes. Wannholt pulled some electoral voodoo and decided to cooperate with Vägvalet to keep his seat, leading to M kicking him out. He then started Demokraterna on the platform of "we're going to make everything safer and better and lower taxes and improve schools in unspecified ways. We will absolutely not do anything to make car travel worse or more expensive ever. We are not at all a single issue party". This is apparently enough to get 17% of the votes and become the 2nd biggest party after S, stealing a little from everyone but mostly from M.

Note, I am of course totally biased in this issue because I used to run a World of Warcraft raid group with the current head of V in Göteborg. Also because I think Vägvalet and Demokraterna are either self-serving populist jerkoffs, NIMBY idiots, or both.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's really all about the congestion tax. In Stockholm the population was asked before it was implemented, in Gothenburg they were not. The discussion might have warped since then but the underlying issue is still that the population was never properly bought in on the tax, the tax turned out to be widely unpopular (implementation was not entirely stellar) and since the tax finances Västlänken the two are intertwined.

Also, the consequences for pulling out of financing Västlänken would be getting sued by Trafikverket and then having to pay anyway. So yeah, there is no getting out of it and never has been.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The whole ballot paper thing got me googling and apparently it's like what I thought:
http://www.addeto.com/sv-SE/j%C3%A4mf%C3%B6rande-fakta/visste-du-detta-om-finland--25352299

And apparently the finnish system is not as common internationally.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

MiddleOne posted:

It's really all about the congestion tax. In Stockholm the population was asked before it was implemented, in Gothenburg they were not. The discussion might have warped since then but the underlying issue is still that the population was never properly bought in on the tax, the tax turned out to be widely unpopular (implementation was not entirely stellar) and since the tax finances Västlänken the two are intertwined.

Also, the consequences for pulling out of financing Västlänken would be getting sued by Trafikverket and then having to pay anyway. So yeah, there is no getting out of it and never has been.

The tolls were supposed to reduce congestion
Except the congestion is the same but now we pay as well :argh:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

The tolls were supposed to reduce congestion
Except the congestion is the same but now we pay as well :argh:

Hey, imagine how bad the congestion would be without tolls! :v:

Living in San Francisco for the last two years has really made me miss the smoothly flowing traffic, efficient public transport and simple, cheap road fee system of home.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

How about this system, which is what we do in Finland. When you arrive to vote you are handed a single, folded paper by the poll worker, that has a circle inside that you can write one number on, then inside the booth all the parties and/or candidates are represented and so you can vote for anyone with a universal ballot paper, and you only get one to take with you into the booth. After you are done the ballot is stamped and put into a box.

Sounds pretty neat, but what stops somebody from using the privacy of the voting booth to swap out the list for a fake one?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I guess mainly skill and dexterity

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Xerophyte posted:

Göteborgstuff

Thanks for the write up. I'm shamefully uneducated on local politics outside of Stockholm. It doesn't help that media tend to ignore any part of sweden you can't reach with an SL-card.

It also confirmed my suspicion that "Demokraterna" is a rubbish populist party for angry middle class car commuters.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

And the Danish politician (!) they claim as an observer is notoriously right-wing.

Are we talking about Venstre's foreign affairs spokesman? Allow me to question his understanding of democratic principles. This is the same party that repeatedly ignored a majority in parliament and is preparing apartheid measures.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Ban cars in inner cities.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Car travel in Gothenburg is cursed anyway so just remove all vehicles tia

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Retarded Goatee posted:

I don't drive but this has been my experience whenever I've gone by car to Gothenburg. Absolute insanity.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I've never gone by car in gbg but just walking around there you can see how insane it is.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/mrhenko123/status/1039082159850577920?s=21

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

netcat posted:

I've never gone by car in gbg but just walking around there you can see how insane it is.

At Korsvägen you just close your eyes, pray and gun it

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SplitSoul posted:

Are we talking about Venstre's foreign affairs spokesman? Allow me to question his understanding of democratic principles. This is the same party that repeatedly ignored a majority in parliament and is preparing apartheid measures.
I figure he might understand them, he just ignores/promotes them based on their utility.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Retarded Goatee posted:

Walking or jogging to work would be a great public health benefit and the lessened appeal of the city would do a great deal to crash the housing market. So I see no problems really.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You are either old enough to remember the old clusterfuck or a sheltered youngling that has not known true terror behind the wheels. :colbert:
For the uninitiated trafikverket lies close by and almost all drivers license exams went/goes through korsvägen.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Clayton Bigsby posted:

The only traffic circle I ever saw where once you got into it. You had to give right of way to vehicles entering it (buses and trams)

Zudgemud posted:

You are either old enough to remember the old clusterfuck or a sheltered youngling that has not known true terror behind the wheels. :colbert:
For the uninitiated trafikverket lies close by and almost all drivers license exams went/goes through korsvägen.

Young drivers either get good or die trying. GBG is basically Sparta for drivers.

I worked in Borås and people there take their cars to the airport or something and then catch a bus from there rather than drive into GBG.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

I worked in Borås and people there take their cars to the airport or something and then catch a bus from there rather than drive into GBG.

I live in Borås and the few times a year I have to visit Gbg I do drive there but gently caress it's annoying with the traffic, tolls, expensive and lovely parking and constant construction. And the tram tracks everywhere, "bus only" lanes you might accidentally end up in and can't get out of, ugh. (Had to go to Gullbergsvass for a while and jesus christ what a loving mess that entire area has been for the past year or more...)

But I have to say, the drivers in Gbg tend to be pretty nice about people loving up driving there; I guess they are used to it.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Lol what a mess Stockholms kommun, -landsting and Sveriges riksdag is going to be.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
So at some point today we'll know the final result, I take it?

:lol: Ulf is definitely going to go with SD https://www.thelocal.se/20180911/malms-moderates-hold-talks-with-sweden-democrats

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Dirk Pitt posted:

So at some point today we'll know the final result, I take it?

:lol: Ulf is definitely going to go with SD https://www.thelocal.se/20180911/malms-moderates-hold-talks-with-sweden-democrats

Been seeing some people saying it might take until Thursday. You can follow it live here https://data.val.se/val/val2018/slutresultat/R/rike/index.html

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
The anecdote I've always heard was that Gothenburg had the best layed-out roads in Sweden - back when we had left-side driving. Then we switched to the right, and the city never recovered.

E: Hupp! Apparently the Alliance are opening up for co-operation with S: http://www.gp.se/nyheter/sverige/alliansen-bjuder-in-s-till-samtal-1.8216844
(The original source is Dagens Nyheter, but they won't let you view their site with an add blocker, so fuckem)

Mr. Sunshine fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 12, 2018

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Mr. Sunshine posted:

The anecdote I've always heard was that Gothenburg had the best layed-out roads in Sweden - back when we had left-side driving. Then we switched to the right, and the city never recovered.

E: Hupp! Apparently the Alliance are opening up for co-operation with S: http://www.gp.se/nyheter/sverige/alliansen-bjuder-in-s-till-samtal-1.8216844
(The original source is Dagens Nyheter, but they won't let you view their site with an add blocker, so fuckem)

:abrathink:

(Just add the following to your adblock filter for full access to this lovely news source)

auth.dn.se
campaigner.dn.se
fusion.dn.se

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Gothenburg is a really ugly city

Stockholm is much better

This is all

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
If Malmö weren't filled with terrible yellow racists, I would argue Malmö is the prettiest of the "major" Swedish cities.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Stockholm is much better

This is all

If we could just rid Stockholm of Stockholmers and fill it up with Goa Gubbar it would be the ultimate compromise.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Alliansen are going through the motions in order to place the pressure on S.
Honestly, a coalition of Alliansen supported by S would at least have a majority and if they can agree to deal with the things they are all agreeing on (but SD, MP and V are against), it might actually turn out ok.
It is however going to fall on the fact that S will never support a coalition they don't lead.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
It's pretty strange to have the biggest party be a minority party in a coalition...

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

Stockholm is much better

This is all

Du kan vara ful!

Central Stockholm with the Castle, Parliament and Old Town is nice, I'll give you that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
These are strange times, friend. In 16-17, Denmark had a minority government consisting entirely of Venstre (liberals) in spite of it being the third biggest party.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mr. Sunshine posted:

"Vi bjuder i dag in Socialdemokraternas partiledare Stefan Löfven till samtal. Vi vill bygga en Alliansregering på samarbete över blockgränsen.

Ahaha Alliance government. As if he'd hand over the prime minister post to save you from SD.

I will be wo dissapointed if Löfven settle for anything less than keeping the post or making the alliance take help from SD to commissar him.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

Central Stockholm is much betterprettier than anything east and north of Vasastan

This is all

Fixed

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Liseberg makes gröna lund look like Pripyat.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

"Vi bjuder i dag in Socialdemokraternas partiledare Stefan Löfven till samtal. Vi vill bygga en Alliansregering på samarbete över blockgränsen.
Ahaha Alliance government. As if he'd hand over the prime minister post to save you from SD.
I will be wo dissapointed if Löfven settle for anything less than keeping the post or making the alliance take help from SD to commissar him.

Löfven will be commissared as you say, Alliansen have been obvious about this pre-election.
One could also say that the only thing that can save Löfven from that is SD.

zokie posted:

It's pretty strange to have the biggest party be a minority party in a coalition...

Well, this have actually happened in Swedish politics.
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regeringen_Ullsten

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I went to Liseberg in the summer and agree that the park itself is far superior to Gröna Lund in every way. The problem is there were so many people there that, no joke, you had to wait in line for 40-50m for each ride in there - which kind of completely killed the experience for me

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I went to Liseberg in the summer and agree that the park itself is far superior to Gröna Lund in every way. The problem is there were so many people there that, no joke, you had to wait in line for 40-50m for each ride in there - which kind of completely killed the experience for me

That's why you go to Liseberg when it's raining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Liseberg makes gröna lund look like Pripyat.

:drat: