Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

shame on an IGA posted:

Furthermore, I'm offended by some of the items that weren't sold out at the grocery store. Y'all would really rather starve to death than eat salmon cakes?

And don't even get me started on the Dresden-rear end looking applesauce aisle that still had a full stock of unsweetened. Really? Really? You need extra sugar in some poo poo that's already MADE OUT OF loving FRUIT?

After Harvey the meat substitute section was pretty as a picture in the middle of empty shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

Also: The inland "S" is literally on top of my house can I shoot this thing for coming right at me or are hurricanes too white?

wave hi to my folks as the wind blows them inland

also

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/1039552751406141440

he has complete confidence, we're hosed

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

WaPo reporting that Manaforte is in talks with Mueller on a plea

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I'm sure that in a time when more actually progressive candidates than ever before have won their primaries, and knocked a lot of old guard liberals out in the process, now is the time to punish insufficiently left Democrats and risk Republicans retaining the House, instead of voting for every Democrat and concentrating on dragging the party even more left in 2020.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Don Dongington posted:

Has a first world nation ever actually tried it, though?

I know plenty of lovely banana republics have destroyed their currencies by printing more currency, but I'm not entirely convinced a fiat currencie'd OECD power couldn't do it without tanking their economy.

It's probably too risky to gamble on but still.

Yeah, France did it and had 50% inflation from 1945-48 or so. Absolutely wiped out the savings of every French citizen still standing after the war and led directly to a lot of broke/homeless pensioners in the 50s.

e: so yeah, not an ideal solution. The new hotness in economic theory, following Thomas Piketty's book Capital for the 21st Century, is to pay down sovereign debt with an exceptional tax on wealth rather than through inflation or austerity.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 12, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

e: so yeah, not an ideal solution. The new hotness in economic theory, following Thomas Piketty's book Capital for the 21st Century, is to pay down sovereign debt with an exceptional tax on wealth rather than through inflation or austerity.

Won't happen without guillotines.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

orange juche posted:

Won't happen without guillotines.

I would call that an exceptional tax, wouldn't you?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Yeah, France did it and had 50% inflation from 1945-48 or so. Absolutely wiped out the savings of every French citizen still standing after the war and led directly to a lot of broke/homeless pensioners in the 50s.

Argentina, which at one point was the 7th wealthiest country in the world, also tried this. It didn't end well.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Stormpost: the precipitation forecast makes it look like a decent bit of the NC coast between Wilmington, Havelock and Jacksonville might be getting over half a loving METER of rain over 5 days. Like, knee-deep water, coming from the sky, for every square meter.
And that doesn't even include the storm surges.

Peep these numbers.

:stare:

/edit:
MCAS Cherry Point is right around where Havelock is, do bases like that get skeleton crews to remain behind during full evacuation? I'm assuming you'd want to fly out everything you can't cram in a shelter, but surely, the poo poo still needs to be under considerable guard.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 12, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

But hey, don't worry, strong daddy's got this. He already did an incredible job with Puerto Rico, it'll be an even more incredible job when actual white voters of his are affected, nevermind the diversion of budget to ICE :downs:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1039600444568350720

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Thousands of idiots are going to die, and Trump will toss out paper towels to a crowd of Trump supporters and proclaim victory.

E: If that central number is 93, thats not 93 cm, that's 93 inches, because the precip measurement is in inches along the bottom.

The spot where it says 93 inches, will be getting 2.36 meters of rain during this storm.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 12, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

There's 16 nuclear reactors potentially affected by the hurricane's reach, including one plant that's near where it's going to make landfall.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

shame on an IGA posted:

Furthermore, I'm offended by some of the items that weren't sold out at the grocery store. Y'all would really rather starve to death than eat salmon cakes?

And don't even get me started on the Dresden-rear end looking applesauce aisle that still had a full stock of unsweetened. Really? Really? You need extra sugar in some poo poo that's already MADE OUT OF loving FRUIT?
Shame on an IGA, indeed.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

psydude posted:

There's 16 nuclear reactors potentially affected by the hurricane's reach, including one plant that's near where it's going to make landfall.

CROOKED HILLARY TO IRRADIATE NC OUTER BANKS - Future Fox News headline.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
trump bragging about letting thousands of Puerto Ricans die

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1039828966595616768?s=19

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

orange juche posted:

Thousands of idiots are going to die, and Trump will toss out paper towels to a crowd of Trump supporters and proclaim victory.

E: If that central number is 93, thats not 93 cm, that's 93 inches, because the precip measurement is in inches along the bottom.

The spot where it says 93 inches, will be getting 2.36 meters of rain during this storm.

Yeah, I read that too, but didn't point it out in my post, because I figured that either had to be wrong, or mean something else in the graphical context. It didn't make sense in the context of that graph to only demarcate a scale of up to 20 inches, but then have considerable spots of the map covered in precipitation density that is literally off the scale. If the majority of a region on a graph would be affected by something, you'd adjust the scale, which is why the graph didn't entirely make sense to me.

Though, if the explanation behind this is that it's a static default scale that cannot handle anything above 20 inches of precipitation, and those numbers are accurate, then...nevermind the 93 inches in the middle. Everything between Wilmington and Havelock is getting more than a loving meter of rain between early Thursday and midday Saturday.

God help them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hot Karl Marx posted:

trump bragging about letting thousands of Puerto Ricans die

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1039828966595616768?s=19

i mean wow

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Hell yeah if you stay ready you ain’t gotta get ready!!!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, I read that too, but didn't point it out in my post, because I figured that either had to be wrong, or mean something else in the graphical context. It didn't make sense in the context of that graph to only demarcate a scale of up to 20 inches, but then have considerable spots of the map covered in precipitation density that is literally off the scale. If the majority of a region on a graph would be affected by something, you'd adjust the scale, which is why the graph didn't entirely make sense to me.

Though, if the explanation behind this is that it's a static default scale that cannot handle anything above 20 inches of precipitation, and those numbers are accurate, then...nevermind the 93 inches in the middle. Everything between Wilmington and Havelock is getting more than a loving meter of rain between early Thursday and midday Saturday.

God help them.

I can't even comprehend over a meter of rain falling in 3 days, like that amount of water falling from the sky is just unfathomable to me. There is no loving way that plenty of people don't die in this.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I wonder if a storm destroying part of the east coast will kick people into gear regarding global wahahahahaha never mind

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
As mentioned earlier, the storm track just shifted so landfall moved from North Carolina to the north/south Carolina border.

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1039817782500761600?s=19

Gonna be bad.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

orange juche posted:

I can't even comprehend over a meter of rain falling in 3 days, like that amount of water falling from the sky is just unfathomable to me. There is no loving way that plenty of people don't die in this.

iirc, NWS precipitation scales still indicate precipitation per square meter, despite the imperial units for amount, so that's a literal ton, as in one thousand kilos of water per square meter, during the most intense couple of days. Like, swimming pool amounts of water.

I genuinely hope that the difference in models is an indication of lack of accuracy, and there's still some hope for a milder outcome.

/edit: ^^^^^ that unfortunately confirms the models from the last two days, so it doesn't look like they're too far off with their estimates. Welp

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
This past couple years feels like turning into that Roddy Piper movie THEY LIVE except instead of seeing everything reduced to OBEY and SLEEP and poo poo it all says GUILLOTINES

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
CBC (Canada's public news company) has an exclusive interview with Woodward right now

https://twitter.com/TheCurrentCBC/status/1039844309556703232?s=19

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

facialimpediment posted:

As mentioned earlier, the storm track just shifted so landfall moved from North Carolina to the north/south Carolina border.

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1039817782500761600?s=19

Gonna be bad.

Wow, if it drifts any further south it's gonna smash Georgia really bad.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I can actually believe Two Scoops cares about where this hurricane is going to land. The 2016 electoral map he tugs his dick to every night has the Carolinas red, so those people have value to him. Not as people of course but as the one, singular thing that matters; ego boosters.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

iirc, NWS precipitation scales still indicate precipitation per square meter, despite the imperial units for amount, so that's a literal ton, as in one thousand kilos of water per square meter, during the most intense couple of days. Like, swimming pool amounts of water.

I genuinely hope that the difference in models is an indication of lack of accuracy, and there's still some hope for a milder outcome.

/edit: ^^^^^ that unfortunately confirms the models from the last two days, so it doesn't look like they're too far off with their estimates. Welp

yeah um holy gently caress

bye carolinas

Hot Karl Marx posted:

CBC (Canada's public news company) has an exclusive interview with Woodward right now

https://twitter.com/TheCurrentCBC/status/1039844309556703232?s=19

christ when you're at the point where things are being snatched away to stop him signing them you might as well use the 25th because welp

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

His cabinet won't use the 25th because they basically have control of him and are using him as a tool to pass horrific legislation. For example, after giving the wealthiest $1.5 trillion last year (of which next to nothing went back to actual workers and instead almost entirely went to shareholders and executives), the GOP is set to pass another set of tax cuts costing another $2T over 10 years.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

His cabinet won't use the 25th because they basically have control of him and are using him as a tool to pass horrific legislation. For example, after giving the wealthiest $1.5 trillion last year (of which next to nothing went back to actual workers and instead almost entirely went to shareholders and executives), the GOP is set to pass another set of tax cuts costing another $2T over 10 years.

oh yeah i am fully aware that they've abandoned all pretence of giving a poo poo about anything but enriching themselves at the expense of the country

it's just incredible to me how goddamn naked it is and if even one of these fucks had the slightest hint of a conscience they'd be doing all they could to stop the devastation of the country

but, 2018, capitalism, and gently caress you got mine.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Seems like the plan is to do a smash-and-grab now for trillions of dollars of wealth from the country to the financial elite, then all the Legislative rats flee the sinking ship on their golden parachutes to super cushy jobs and let the Judicial turbo loving keep it in place for their benefactors no matter what the peasants vote for. If the nation wide propaganda machine gives them a shot in another few election cycles try it all again, but they're getting while the getting's good.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mr. Nice! posted:

Isn't there a limit to how much they can cut? At some point there aren't any taxes left.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Honestly, I'm wondering how much worse than Algiers Point the murders of "looters" will get, this time around.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Trickle down economics baby

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Man, gently caress local news
https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs...32bd4b7324.html

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BigDave posted:

Isn't there a limit to how much they can cut? At some point there aren't any taxes left.

That's where they just cut medicaid and SNAP to make up for it.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

BigDave posted:

Ever heard of a negative income tax?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

DaNerd posted:

The government is just giving money away!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DaNerd posted:

I have not.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BigDave posted:

The US has impressive deficit spending capacity, they can keep going for a a while. Then blame food stamps or Obamaphones when the system starts to creak.

• Locked thread