Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

In 2016 when Ibrahim Abu Mohamed suggested this LNP senators dismissed it as asking for an anti-blasphemy law, if not sharia law. I wonder what the difference was when he suggested it?

But to be honest I couldn't be more strongly against it. In America there have been multiple legal cases where there being no religious anti-discrimination law is the only thing preventing universities from being forced to ban pro-palestinian groups. It is too easy to exploit, and would be a far more significant effort to thought police and limit free speech than anything conservatives have ever worried about. It is loving crazy that they want to simultaneously dismantle the racial discrimination act while expanding it to cover religion, except that you know how selectively they want it to be applied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What's with the women of the LNP why are they so spineless as to let ScoMo deny it all and not name names. Surely it would be better to give scomo a trigger to purge the Duttonistas rather than hiding it.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Anidav posted:

What's with the women of the LNP why are they so spineless as to let ScoMo deny it all and not name names. Surely it would be better to give scomo a trigger to purge the Duttonistas rather than hiding it.

Famous intrinsic power broker Bishop just got body slammed and humiliated and there's obviously intense pressure to not step out of line at the moment

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
It seems like the Liberal Party don’t like it when their female MP’s start speaking up.

quote:

Women within the Liberal Party are backing away from previous threats and comments they have made about party bullies.

Liberal senator Linda Reynolds, who called out bullying and intimidating behaviour in the Senate last month, now says that is not the appropriate forum to air the issue.

"If we are truly going to deal with the issues faced by many women in the workplace, cheapening it through theatrical politics here in Question Time, it doesn't assist the women in my party, it doesn't assist the women in this chamber and it certainly does not assist the women in any workplace in this country," Senator Reynolds said.

The ABC understands Senator Reynolds, who is now the Assistant Minister for Home Affairs, was one of the women who was put under pressure during the leadership challenge.

But she told the Senate today was the last time she planned to discuss the bullying claims publicly.

"It is not because I'm giving up the fight," she said.

"It's because I believe the appropriate way to do that, to get meaningful change, is within my party."

She's not the only female politician softening their stance.

Last week, Liberal senator Lucy Gichuhi threatened to name and shame the bullies. But she has now shelved that threat.

After a conversation with the Prime Minister, Senator Gichuhi has decided to give Scott Morrison a chance to assert authority and discipline within the party.

And last night, Mr Morrison told the ABC's 7.30 program Senator Gichuhi had told him she was not targeted by politicians during the leadership spill.

"When I spoke to Senator Gichuhi, she made it very clear to me that in terms of the events here in Canberra and the spill of the leadership, she told me very plainly that she was not bullied by anybody here in Canberra in relation to that matter," he said.

Labor has been upping the pressure on the Government over the bullying claims.

In Senate Question Time today, the Opposition grilled Finance Minister Mathias Cormann about what had prompted Senator Gichuhi to change her tune, and questioned whether she had been given a pre-selection guarantee in exchange for her silence.

After Question Time, Senator Reynolds said Labor was making "cheap political capital" out of an important issue.

"For those opposite, I would ask and I would plead, if you want to see a better future for women within this chamber, stop politicising it and making it even harder for us on this side to deal with it," she said.

Shame Gichuhi backed down. Not like she has anything to lose.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's great that ScoMo is going to make it illegal for religious groups and schools to have religious tests for employees.

I mean that will of course happen right, it's not like the religious freedom line would actually be about giving religious groups extra rights beyond everyone else.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

It's great that ScoMo is going to make it illegal for religious groups and schools to have religious tests for employees.

I mean that will of course happen right, it's not like the religious freedom line would actually be about giving religious groups extra rights beyond everyone else.

It will lead to Sharia Law

quote:

Wentworth poll puts Labor ahead in October 20 byelection

A second internal opinion poll in the federal seat of Wentworth has put the Liberal Party in a losing position, illustrating the threat from the Sydney byelection to the Coalition's one-seat parliamentary majority.

A poll of 400 voters conducted for would-be Liberal candidate Peter King put the party's support at 36 per cent, Labor at 29 per cent, Greens at 16 per cent and an unidentified independent at 18 per cent.

After allocating preferences, the poll put Liberal support at 47 per cent and Labor support at 53 per cent, a remarkable situation for what was estimated to be the Coalition's eighth-safest seat based on the last election and recent boundary changes.

An earlier poll reportedly conducted for another Liberal candidate, who has since dropped out, put the party's primary vote around 39 per cent for the byelection, which will be held on October 20.

The two polls appear to support speculation the Morrison government is in danger of losing its parliamentary majority.

Sharma loses support
Separately, the leading male candidate, former ambassador to Israel Dave Sharma, seems to have lost the support of Matt Kean, a NSW minister and moderate-faction leader.

Two leaders of Mr Bragg's left faction, which party members say is dominant in the seat, said it was leaning towards or had decided to support a female candidate.

The left's candidate will be Katherine O'Regan, a long-time political adviser and party activist in Sydney's eastern suburbs, one said.

The twist on Mr King's poll is that it suggests the Liberal party can win a seat without a female candidate - contradicting the earlier poll that allegedly said running a woman would increase the Liberal Party's chances of winning.

The Sexton Marketing Group, which conducted the poll for Mr King, said it showed Labor voters were more sensitive to a candidate's gender than Liberal voters.

"There is no actual difference with gender in terms of the Liberal Party," it said. "This, however, is not the case for Labor voters with a 10 per cent drop in the vote among women when are face with a male candidate.

"With Peter King as the Liberal candidate, Labor primary vote drops 4 per cent, and the preference flows come back to the Liberal Party from independents and other minor parties to put the Liberal Party in a winnable position."

Shorten is unpopular
The Labor Party's candidate, Tim Murray, is male. Labor's leader, Bill Shorten, has a negative 46 per cent rating in the seat, indicating he is very unpopular, according to the poll.

Mr King held Wentworth for the Liberal Party from 2000 to 2004, when he was removed by Malcolm Turnbull, whose resignation has triggered the byelection. He then ran as an independent.

One of the leading Liberal candidates, Andrew Bragg, dropped out this week because, he said, the Liberal Party should select a woman following allegations of bullying during the leadership change three weeks ago.

Mr Sharma has said he does not intend to pull out. The vote is scheduled for Thursday evening.

"The main thing party polling shows is that having a local candidate is not as important as having someone who can be a cabinet minister," said one person involved in the process. "The female stuff is a smokescreen."

'Choose the right person'
Ms O'Regan is executive director of the Cities Leadership Institute, a small not-for-profit organisation that conducts executive training and public forums to make "to make cities, towns and communities great places," according to her LinkedIn profile.

She is also stated as chair of the Sydney East Business Chamber and a director of the Sydney Institute, a political forum run by Gerard and Anne Henderson.

One candidate urged his fellow Liberals to make their selection based on merit.

"If you believe that a woman is the best candidate to campaign and win this seat, I urge you to vote for her," digital campaign expert Carrington Bringham said in an email.

"But don't vote for her because she's a woman: vote for her because she's the right person."

https://www.afr.com/news/politics/wentworth-poll-puts-labor-ahead-in-october-20-byelection-20180912-h159uu

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Birdstrike posted:

shut up. shut up

we all know it should be tithin singing slutty gay beet

I'm not sure I have that anymore.

lua
Jun 16, 2013

froglet posted:

Eh, I get that theyre often up to their eyeballs in debt but most of them have a couple of hundred grand if you liquidated everything. Which isn't nothing, way more than the average Australian household has at any rate.

Couple of pages late but

"abs 2012 posted:

The average equivalised net worth (taking into account both assets and liabilities) of farming households in 2009-10 was $1.3 million, much higher than the average across other households ($393,000).

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

It's pretty hosed up, he's using what he knows is a dead rear end Ministership to try ramrod his dumbshit American religious agenda in with one hand and trying to hold the abuse allegations back with the other

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Wouldn’t religious discrimination laws bite them in the rear end when Muslims start reporting actual cases of discrimination against them?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
If you are familiar with the excellent Satanic Temple and their tactics in the US, then the results will inevitably be equal parts LNP self own and hilarity.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Anidav posted:

Selection bias. Women willing to take a strong stand against male bullshit wouldn't sign up for the LNP to begin with, and if they did they would have been weeded out long before being allowed to run for parliament.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1039753895814340611 lol

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

:emptyquote:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I think I fixed it

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 12, 2018

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Enhance.

Enhance...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Pathetic. It doesn't even rhyme, dickhead.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Senator to Ambulance Chaser, what a fall

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do you reckon we could get one more spill before the next election?

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
We sang the West Coast Eagles club song at my primary school.

*puts hand on chest*

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Do you reckon we could get one more spill before the next election?

From Who?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
There’s nothing left in the cup but backwash. What I’m saying is, Australia Needs Tony.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

snoremac posted:

There’s nothing left in the cup but backwash. What I’m saying is, Australia Needs Tony.

Tonnnnnes

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

the major blood vessels of capitalists

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Jonah Galtberg posted:

the major blood vessels of capitalists

They've been in for like a hundred years

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
https://twitter.com/bevanshields/status/1039867063471235074?s=21

https://twitter.com/turnbullmalcolm/status/1039877963678928896?s=21

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

AHAHAHAHa

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Oh gently caress yes Turnbull go full scorched Earth.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
rich bastard. i had to settle for the shareware copy of scorched earth

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

rich bastard. i had to settle for the shareware copy of scorched earth

one of my fondest memories from school was playing scorched earth at a friend's place who had one of those 40 top game cd's

good game for straining friendships though

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

It's pretty cool that the people who got incredibly excited at Williams "bahaviour" can say who won the tennis sans google

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Late on new anthem chat: But this is obviously represents the views of mainstream Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SesmDqsbWm4

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Bit of a long-shot question here, but I'm getting a little desperate. Can anyone link to a poll by a news agency that's online that uses a leading question? Or even just one of those lovely news.com polls they do that are pointless because of self-selection bias? Finding news.com hard to navigate which doesn't bode well for my digital communication course.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Starshark posted:

Bit of a long-shot question here, but I'm getting a little desperate. Can anyone link to a poll by a news agency that's online that uses a leading question? Or even just one of those lovely news.com polls they do that are pointless because of self-selection bias? Finding news.com hard to navigate which doesn't bode well for my digital communication course.

https://twitter.com/KetanJ0/status/1038990407466545152
https://twitter.com/KetanJ0/status/1038997931561443328

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Gillard dies from schadenfreude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1039960197291098112

The gist is "I know he's done a lot of heinous poo poo that's entirely counter to the teachings of Jesus while immigration minister and treasurer but surely he'll do a complete 180 now that he's prime minister!"

Is this person naive or just trying to stir poo poo? Especially going with this kind of take the week after Morrison used his religion as the basis for some rancid anti-LGBT poo poo

• Locked thread