Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I did enjoy Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter apart from some of the puzzles that really yanked out my immersion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I liked the ideas behind the painscreek killings, so if some team can pull them off better i think that would be pretty great. I even felt that at the beginning painscreek was fine, it's when you managed to get to already 5 places and investigated them and then suddenly you don't know where else to go because you missed some drat pixel somewhere.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

From the alpha footage it looks like they just don't mark stuff on the map for you but you still get all the other trappings of that type of game, which is fine by me.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
What was the Sherlock Holmes one that dealt with eldritch shenanigans? And is it worth playing? I've finally bought a PC which can play games and I'm wondering what I've been missing out on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened, it's not bad but is very mid-2000's euro-jank and can get pixel hunt-y sometimes.

It did give us creepy Watson though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YlEPwOfmk

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Hahahah. It's the creepy Watson game? Well that all but seals the deal to be honest.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

both look interesting. ill probaly pick call of cthulhu up for christmas if the reviews are solid. i'll see how the sinking city does. it looks very jankey.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm picking up The Sinking City because it is totally my poo poo and I loved the Sherlock Holmes games!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I've only ever played SH2 on PS2 but I have a PC copy in a closet somewhere, gonna have to dig it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v1USVhtfjQ

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Basticle posted:

I've only ever played SH2 on PS2 but I have a PC copy in a closet somewhere, gonna have to dig it out

The PC versions of at least Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4 are fantastic because they allow you to crank up the resolution and they have a ton of customization.

Although that might just be 3.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Basticle posted:

This is beautiful, I wish we got Steam releases of the SH games that hit PC. I guess we have Homecoming but eh.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i cant say i'm a huge fan of oxenfree cutting of what people are saying constantly, and kind of makes me want to stop playing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Relin posted:

i cant say i'm a huge fan of oxenfree cutting of what people are saying constantly, and kind of makes me want to stop playing

But you wanted to make your decision while they're still talking immediately ending the conversation right?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Well you can just get the achievement/good ending by just not talking at all. I thought it was a nice option to give players who really wanted to be awkward teens.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Is this game remothered any good?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I played it when it went unfinished and only half of it was done. I remember reading that it goes off the deep end and ends up sucking. The game isn't that great from what I played and I wouldn't recommend it unless you get it for real cheap.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Relin posted:

The dialogue system in Oxenfree is novel but really inconsistent as to how it behaves. Sometimes you'll cut in right in the middle of a conversation, sometimes the line will play out first and you'll get a totally different result than what you wanted.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

oldpainless posted:

Is this game remothered any good?

bad

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This Halloween season I'm finally playing Dead Space, and it's good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Are you playing on PC? I've never played 3 and it has a coop campaign that I've heard is fun

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hexbox.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Len posted:

Are you playing on PC? I've never played 3 and it has a coop campaign that I've heard is fun

I don't know about co-op, but single player Dead Space 3 is just awful, largely because of a broken save/checkpoint system. I quit 13 hours in when I wasn't specced for a boss fight and couldn't go back to switch out my guns or get my massive cache of health packs out of storage.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dead Space 3 should really only be played co-op; it makes the fights easier and more fun since you're with a friend (also less aggravating), and there's parts of the game that aren't accessible because you don't have Carver with you constantly so you literally can't see some of the coolest parts of the game.

For instance, one part of the game early on you'll get an SOS beacon from someone on a derelict ship, but only Carver hears it so whomever is playing Isaac has no idea what the hell the other player is talking about because they'll never hear the voice comms. When you go there Carver keeps leading the way and hearing poo poo and Isaac is like, "Alright dude, whatever you say." Then you get to the end of the sidequest where Carver finds toys of his dead son and starts to pick them up. But as Isaac, you don't see any of it and have no idea what the gently caress Carver is picking up because it's all in Carver's head.

Later on in the game there's another one of these sections but the roles are reversed and Isaac starts loosing it because of the Markers and such. You finally get to one room and Isaac is teleported to some hellscape with shadowy necormorphs and a huge Marker to destroy. The thing is all this poo poo is in Isaac's head and Carver obviously can't help you, but whomever is playing Carver has to defend a now comatose Isaac from an onslaught of Necromorphs while he screams at him to snap out of it. It's a really tense moment because you're split up and can't do poo poo about it.

Both of these things are also optional and missable if you play co-op though, so you have to make sure you do all of the side missions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Well if anyone has the PC version and hasn't played it I would be down for playing the coop with someone.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

s.i.r.e. posted:

Both of these things are also optional and missable if you play co-op though, so you have to make sure you do all of the side missions.

All right, those are actually pretty cool.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/IcePickLodge/status/1039569639511076865

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Has anyone tried the pathologic alpha yet? If so does it look good? (Both gameplay and story wise)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

20 years later I just learned Silent Hill had a "self view" mode when you beat the game which puts the camera behind Harry's back giving the game a quasi-FPS view. A first person camera is even used in a few shots in the original E3 trailer. Immediately I began thinking of a From Software/Kings Field style Silent Hill but now I want a PS1 demake of P.T.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

20 years later I just learned Silent Hill had a "self view" mode when you beat the game which puts the camera behind Harry's back giving the game a quasi-FPS view. A first person camera is even used in a few shots in the original E3 trailer. Immediately I began thinking of a From Software/Kings Field style Silent Hill but now I want a PS1 demake of P.T.

Someone found a mini map in Silent Hill 2 a few months back after getting the alien ending. You never know what old games have hidden!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Basticle posted:

Havent seen much if any discussion of Call of Cthulhu (October 30) and The Sinking City (March 21, 2019)

Bit of a comparison article https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/08/27/lovecraftian-preview-top-trumps-the-sinking-city-vs-call-of-cthulhu/
Is someone finally making Lovecraftian games that aren't frustrating?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Halloween Jack posted:

Is someone finally making Lovecraftian games that aren't frustrating?

Bloodborne already came out

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

oldpainless posted:

Bloodborne already came out

No no, aren't.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

al-azad posted:

I mean, the FPS mode in Code Veronica is a (very awkward) thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I played the poo poo out of that FPS mode in Code Veronica. Properly aiming the knife in first-person was something else.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Meallan posted:

Has anyone tried the pathologic alpha yet? If so does it look good? (Both gameplay and story wise)

Yeah. (Editors note. I backed it.)

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Meallan posted:

Ive messed around in it for a little bit and it went as well as jumping into the haruspex did the first time i played the original.

It looks really nice, but it has some serious performance issues, mainly when you hit a loading zone in the map, which I hope they can fix before release.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

hell yeah https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/09/12/the-suicide-of-rachel-foster-asks-what-if-firewatch-but-also-the-shining/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh that sounds good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a73k70Eme2s

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sounds great, but my feelings were summed up at the end of the preview article.

quote:

All the same, I’m hoping that the finished game is less about dialogue between characters, less about Nicole’s rapport with Irving and her wrestle with the spectre of long-buried misdeeds, and more of a dialogue with Kubrick and his mazes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Skyscraper posted:

All right, those are actually pretty cool.

Yeah, not saying the game is perfect, but it seems like they put their effort into making a co-op title foremost and it really should be played as such. I love Dead Space, but 3 is probably the lowest point of the series since it doesn't have much tension and is pretty much a run and gun title.