Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The_Franz posted:

a few weeks ago my aunt and uncle had some issues with amazon delivering a grill that involved a lot of back and forth with customer service and an eventual duplicate delivery that had to be resolved. a week after that was settled they got an unsolicited package address to "valued amazon customer"

a popcorn machine. not a little countertop one, but the big kind that you see in movie theaters. when they called amazon and told them to get it out of there, amazon told them that they can't because they have no record of the shipment

how exactly do you ship someone a $700 popcorn machine and have no record of it?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The_Franz posted:

how exactly do you ship someone a $700 popcorn machine and have no record of it?

jeff bezos' net worth increases by $1238 every second

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
wonder if his old honda is like rosebud to him

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

reminder: every time someone gets a blood transfusion even with perfect blood type matches and no diseases from the donor, there's a not insignificant risk of having a horrible reaction that can include death.

so peter thiel getting like 25 blood transfusions a year is far more likely to mean dying of it than getting any beneficial effects from it at all.

in particular stroke

countdown till thiel’s creepyass leer only comes outta one side of his face

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lmao

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

wonder if his old honda is like rosebud to him

so like sex in an uncomfortable place?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
ad profile keywords: bourgeois

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Jonny 290 posted:

i bought a nice power strip with 3 120v's and four USBs, a 32gb flash drive and a couple of u.fl to reverse SMA pigtails. the total was $28.50 or so

when the box showed up it was just the power strip

i hit up amazon support and explained the sitch and they were "ok sir we apologize. a credit for $28.50 has been applied"

thanks for the...free power strip?

yeah that's kinda how my support call felt because he went right to "OK I'm issuing a refund [buy it again if you feel like it or don't whatever not our problem anymore]"

I was annoyed because I bought it on sale and the sale was over so said gently caress it and stopped by Microcenter on the way home that day and walked out with one - felt good not having to wait

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

fishmech posted:

reminder: every time someone gets a blood transfusion even with perfect blood type matches and no diseases from the donor, there's a not insignificant risk of having a horrible reaction that can include death.

so peter thiel getting like 25 blood transfusions a year is far more likely to mean dying of it than getting any beneficial effects from it at all.

in any kind of just world peter thiel would end up with transfusion induced stevens-johnson syndrome

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
how long is it until alexa and siri merge with jc tenton

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cocoa Crispies posted:

standardizing package sizes means you're wasting volume on the void between the item and the package and weight on the package and the void fill to keep the item from destroying itself against the standard box

gluing poo poo to the item adds weight, volume, and then what do you do when the hook's in the wrong place

thx i flunked the bin packing problem

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Munkeymon posted:

yeah that's kinda how my support call felt because he went right to "OK I'm issuing a refund [buy it again if you feel like it or don't whatever not our problem anymore]"

I was annoyed because I bought it on sale and the sale was over so said gently caress it and stopped by Microcenter on the way home that day and walked out with one - felt good not having to wait

when micro center goes under I will be sad because despite living in NYC it will be hard to get last-minute random electronics which include raspberry pi's.

Adafruit has steadfastly refused to allow people to do local pickup too, which is annoying

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ate all the Oreos posted:

it didn't really seem like the purpose was "a box to control the robot from," it seems like the cage is so that a person could be a component of the otherwise robotic system, whisked around the warehouse in a tiny hell-box

and when you are commuting from the warehouse floor to the bathroom in the hell box you don’t get paid for that. also you get searched on the way i to the bathroom and don’t pay to wait in line for that.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Shoes from Amazon!? boy you best start runnin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8b4xYbEugo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Krankenstyle posted:

thx i flunked the bin packing problem

txt me

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

President Beep posted:

~*Ambrosia*~ lmao

would definitely hook up a drip to a billionaire with a tin of rice pudding on the end.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
It still surprises me how people deify the bad electric car man. I wrote one message on discord channel I sit at, it read:"Enron Musk", this started a day long derail by a whole bunch of loyal Muskites.
In the end a guy accuses me of getting all my opinions from reddit to which I respond:

TheCoach posted:

I never go to reddit lol
Also not everything is related to trump, Musk has been doing enough stupid poo poo on his own to slowly shift from respectable person to a mockable person

Which I thought is extremely mild but then this explosion happened:

Some guy posted:

No, Coach, SJW his rear end, quickly!
Judgement and execution by the mob, seems that our society is back to that now.
Coach do you understand what the guy is fighting, loving oil guys from Texas that own this world and have their other foot in military production...
Now the lefties are onto him for loving PC poo poo, if I was him I would go into military production, just to make a point.
Would be a treat to see how efficient his munitions are, measured in poo poo like dollars per kill.

That's a grown rear end educated adult right there, what the hell is wrong with these people.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/jjvincent/status/1039834968745287681

:lol: and :rip:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

TheCoach posted:

Some guy posted:
Coach do you understand what the guy is fighting, loving oil guys from Texas that own this world and have their other foot in military production...
Now the lefties are onto him for loving PC poo poo, if I was him I would go into military production, just to make a point.
Would be a treat to see how efficient his munitions are, measured in poo poo like dollars per kill.

spacex is already doing military poo poo lmao

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

really going to enjoy the increasingly likely hard militarization of space, wont change anything fundamental since icbms pretty much has things covered already, but as china keeps sending poo poo up there will be a much more clearcut sword-of-damocles psychology to it

best buy more ar-15s to preserve your freedom

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
can't wait until that brief glorious instant of space war, followed by kessler syndrome putting a total stop to it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

on the plus side, fewer poor brown people to collaterally damage in space.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

oh look, more dogshit EU internet regulation.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

gdpr owns, but yeah this is pure idiocy

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

TheCoach posted:

It still surprises me how people deify the bad electric car man. I wrote one message on discord channel I sit at, it read:"Enron Musk", this started a day long derail by a whole bunch of loyal Muskites.
In the end a guy accuses me of getting all my opinions from reddit to which I respond:

Which I thought is extremely mild but then this explosion happened:

That's a grown rear end educated adult right there, what the hell is wrong with these people.

tell him he's doing a great job of defeating that strawman

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

actually gdpr is mostly bad and regulation of the internet in general is bad.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shaggar posted:

actually gdpr is mostly bad and regulation of the internet in general is bad.

:wrong:

an unregulated internet breeds nazis and pedophiles

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Krankenstyle posted:

except for that RTBF poo poo and enshrining cookie panic into law it's pretty decent, yeah

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

TheCoach posted:

this person is mentally ill

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

:wrong:

an unregulated internet breeds nazis and pedophiles

we already have laws to take care of the worst parts of the internet, we don't need internet censorship.

but mostly we don't need bad EU regs designed to hurt superior US businesses because EU corps are trash that cant compete.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Oh I get to be the contrarian, ok. This is good as was GDPR. The goal should be destroying Google, Facebook, Twitter, Apple, Amazon etc. and making it impossible for any future tech monopolists to rise.

vvv Well the two provisions that people were mad at were specifically aimed at FB and Google and would really only affect a site doing similar volume.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 12, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
pretty sure the regs mostly entrench the encumbents and prevent new players from even getting a look at the market

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

nice

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

spain is panickedly trying to roll back their version of article 11 right as the larger eu is trying to ratify it, it caused a 10-15% drop in overall visitors to news sites

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Oh I get to be the contrarian, ok. This is good as was GDPR. The goal should be destroying Google, Facebook, Twitter, Apple, Amazon etc. and making it impossible for any future tech monopolists to rise.

lol gently caress you yo this new regs is dogshit that hurts regular artists and stuff while defending the right s of greedy rear end media companies

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

vvv Well the two provisions that people were mad at were specifically aimed at FB and Google and would really only affect a site doing similar volume.

they also affect something awful dot com but something awful doesn't have any money to fight them because of lowtaxes spine.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also its pretty loving stupid if its supposed to be a tax on goog cause all goog has to do is remove litigants from search results. seems like that would be farm more harmful to the content owner

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

you know who isn't hurt one bit by a regulation mandating content id? the people who already have a content id system set up and are using it anyway. it totally destroys anyone who would consider building a competing service though.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

also its pretty loving stupid if its supposed to be a tax on goog cause all goog has to do is remove litigants from search results. seems like that would be farm more harmful to the content owner

the trick is that this is only the first step.

basically, you force goog to pay for search results, which will lead to those results disappearing from the results or getting deprioritized or less prominent or whatever. then you yell at google for abusing its monopoly because it determines which sites receive traffic and force it to display the results in fair way (for a certain definition of fair).

this regulation is garbage. (gdpr is hilarious though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
reminder that 5% of all US electrical consumption is directly linkable to our lovely copyright laws.
it’s illegal for a cable company to make 1 recording of a show and stream it to multiple subscribers, you have to have every cable box recording its own copy separately. which means keeping that drive spinning in each cable box all the time and chugging 35 watts of power 24/7.