Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

this broken hill posted:

actually they will both be killed, roasted and served up as a banquet to the other characters, who will all find over the course of a few horrifying weeks that everything around them is transforming into flesh and normal people can't see it unless they've tasted of their fellow human

actually you're thinking of the wendigo arc in F*R*I*E*N*D*S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Could I BE hungrier for human flesh

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i could be. im really more of an ironage fan than long pork

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

this broken hill posted:

actually they will both be killed, roasted and served up as a banquet to the other characters, who will all find over the course of a few horrifying weeks that everything around them is transforming into flesh and normal people can't see it unless they've tasted of their fellow human

Tantalowned

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
look at these hairy bastards. imagine what it tastes like when you cross the modern pig's refined meat back to a wild boar's gamier, leaner flesh. thats a pork i wanna try, friends

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I really wasn't sure how to feel about the part where Chandler's robot arm grew back flesh, but started decaying if he didn't eat more Marten regularly. Like, him having to figure out how to get it was good, I just like those kind of stories better when they leave it ambiguous whether what the characters are experiencing is really happening

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tollymain posted:

at some point were going to see marten and claire get engaged (and later married) in qc and i dont know why but that feels really weird to me to think about
Because it feels inevitable if only because Jeff is going to be terrified of the potential backlash of having Marten break up with a trans woman.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao i guess thats also a thing that is true

but nah its more of a "jesus how long have i been reading this how old am i" thing

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tollymain posted:

lmao i guess thats also a thing that is true

but nah its more of a "jesus how long have i been reading this how old am i" thing

And yet only days have passed in the QC Universe (QCniverse)

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Because it feels inevitable if only because Jeff is going to be terrified of the potential backlash of having Marten break up with a trans woman.

Nah pretty easy, he just wouldn't be the one doing the breaking up. Despite Marten being the biggest inoffensive doormat of a character Claire could get mad about "something" he does. Then he botches an apology by being a bit of a screw up, and she decides she wants some time apart, and being a huge pushover Marten agrees without standing up for himself.

Actually they sort of just did this minus the break up. It was something like "Marten you aren't listening to me" "oh sorry Claire" "well Marten you're lucky to have your job so there! (for some reason?)" "oh jeez I guess I am wow I'm a horrible person for holding a job and listening to you when you called me out for not doing a good enough job at that just this one time right now (but totally with no sarcasm because Marten has no backbone)". All it would take is for Claire to say something about how she's stressing out and wants a break and -presto-!

Bonus if they actually do get married first, cut to a different story arc for a while, then cut back to Marten and Claire have something like the above happen like months later in real time but only like a week after the wedding in QC time.

Jeph pretty much only writes "these people get together, these people break up or are mostly forgotten about" or "maybe these people will get together" with an occasional "this person has a problem then tries to better themselves, possibly with a weak social justice lesson mixed in these days". When in doubt, ignore old cast members and introduce new ones that do the same thing so now it's "fresh".

I mean I don't hate it, and I'll check in to see what happened to who, but it's been a pretty straightforward formula for a really long time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Bubbles memory lock thing was the lowest point for Hipster Marmaduke in a very, very long time. It managed to end with a literal Deus Ex Machina ending that was somehow also completely pointless.

I'd say my favorite (if pretty formula) thing in a while was the miniarc with Tilly. It didn't pretend to not be mostly self-contained, but still actually did something major with the status quo at the end, and the ending was refreshingly consistent with what we knew about the characters. As someone who had a very controlling and kind of morally hosed up mom, that in-person interaction between Hannelore and her mother felt very true to life, especially just the complete emotional breakdown as soon as she was out of the immediate blast radius.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Let's refresh our palates with a silly comic called Swords, which is about swords. If you like swords, this comic will certainly swords. Swords!

It's kind of similar in temperament to Oglaf, but with swords instead of sex. Not quite as good, mind.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thanks to a recommendation in the Strong Female Protagonist thread I've binge-read O Human Star, and I liked it a whole lot. The only downside I have found with it is that I get the feeling it has a glacial pace; it looks like one of those comics that are very good when read all at once, but waiting for the next page is torture. Anyway I've added it to my reading list.

Does anyone have any recommendations for similar comics? In themes I mean.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mikl posted:

Thanks to a recommendation in the Strong Female Protagonist thread I've binge-read O Human Star, and I liked it a whole lot. The only downside I have found with it is that I get the feeling it has a glacial pace

It only JUST got out of a loving multi month (year?) flash back scene

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Burkion posted:

Year. I've been reading the comments section too, and when the flashback ended the top comment was "oh hey we're back! Welp time to re-read since I've forgot where we were in this timeline", and I couldn't help but empathise with them.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Tenebrais posted:

but with swords instead of sex.
what if

what if they could be combined

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Fish Noise posted:

what if

Friendo, do I have the game for you.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Fish Noise posted:

what if

Oglaf has the answer.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So does A Serbian Film, and holy God do I wish I could forget that movie. :psypop:

(Don't be like I was, kids. Don't hear about a movie so horrible and reprehensible that people say to never watch it, and then take that as a challenge. You aren't proving anything, you're just watching something you can't unwatch.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 12, 2018

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Mikl posted:

Year. I've been reading the comments section too, and when the flashback ended the top comment was "oh hey we're back! Welp time to re-read since I've forgot where we were in this timeline", and I couldn't help but empathise with them.

o human star is great, but the author has a day job doing art for two other paid comic gigs that get priority i think

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Let's refresh our palates with a silly comic called Swords, which is about swords. If you like swords, this comic will certainly swords. Swords!

It's kind of similar in temperament to Oglaf, but with swords instead of sex. Not quite as good, mind.

I like this, thanks. I wish I had a sword of thanking people for recommendations right now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Burkion posted:

You're not meant to think of it like that; I'm pretty sure the whole comic is going to be switching back and forth between past and future until it ends.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

You're not meant to think of it like that; I'm pretty sure the whole comic is going to be switching back and forth between past and future until it ends.

See I'm fine with that

The problem is that we went to the past and then didn't come back for OVER A YEAR

The other flip flops never took that long

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Burkion posted:

See I'm fine with that

The problem is that we went to the past and then didn't come back for OVER A YEAR

The other flip flops never took that long

and much of that time was spent with extremely little happening

it's a good comic and otherwise reasonably paced but your flashback scenes in particular should, uh, not be padded

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

The weapons turn into hot guys before you date them? Cowards.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mikl posted:

Thanks to a recommendation in the Strong Female Protagonist thread I've binge-read O Human Star, and I liked it a whole lot. The only downside I have found with it is that I get the feeling it has a glacial pace; it looks like one of those comics that are very good when read all at once, but waiting for the next page is torture. Anyway I've added it to my reading list.

Does anyone have any recommendations for similar comics? In themes I mean.

If you're interested in LGBTQ comics with limited color palettes, Band vs Band Comix is a fun, light story. It's a modern Riverdale-y setting vs an optimistic-but-serious scifi future though. I'm currently drawing a blank on another good queer-transhuman webcomic, unfortunately.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 13, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Decrypting Rita gets weird with it

Crossed Wires isn't good at all, but it's there

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 13, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
RIP Paranatural Chapter 5

December 22, 2014 - September 18, 2018

It died as it lived: with 10 paragraphs of text stabled to it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, see you all next year

e: wait a minute this isnt the paranatural thread

you poor bastards are stuck w my posting

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 19, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also RIP MGDMT. It's been three months without an update, and I don't care enough to dig through her Twitter to see what she's said about it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Christ almighty, I stopped following years ago. Maybe I'll catch up in the mean time, but that chapter reaaally stretched on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Christ almighty, I stopped following years ago. Maybe I'll catch up in the mean time, but that chapter reaaally stretched on.

That's the thing about webcomics, because they're largely self-produced and insular, you're your own editor, so quality control begins and ends with you and if you're lucky, the readers who are willing to criticize you. And Zack is one of those people who really needs an outside editor to reign in his excesses. He's a phenomenally talented artist and comedian, he just doesn't know how to kill his darlings.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cool

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Did Sleepless Domain get cybersquatted?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Did Sleepless Domain get cybersquatted?

Uhh, no.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Looks like it to me. Maybe it's a temporary glitch?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Yeah, at this moment in time, I'm seeing a Bluehost page.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

But now I'm seeing the real page. Some kind of DNS issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absum
May 28, 2013

from a bunch of hours ago: