Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stitecin posted:

That’s possible?

This stuff is magic, cram your pads in the washing machine and put a couple capfuls in there. Comes out smelling like spring.

https://www.amazon.com/WIN-Sports-Detergent-Performance-High-Tech/dp/B07C28MZP2?th=1

Maybe wash twice if you're a typical hockey player and clean your gear once a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I thought a tub soak was the way you’re supposed to go to clean hockey gear. I’ll have to try this. Does it make your washing machine and all subsequent clothing that goes in it smell like death?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tub soak "works" but agitation cleans better, there's a reason we don't wash our normal clothes by throwing them in a sink overnight.

It's just not ideal for hockey gear if your washing machine has a central agitator.. make sure all the straps and poo poo are secured because otherwise they'll end up in knots. If you got a tumbler style washer it's no sweat.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

xzzy posted:

Tub soak "works" but agitation cleans better, there's a reason we don't wash our normal clothes by throwing them in a sink overnight.

It's just not ideal for hockey gear if your washing machine has a central agitator.. make sure all the straps and poo poo are secured because otherwise they'll end up in knots. If you got a tumbler style washer it's no sweat.

I threw it in the tub pretty warm water and 3 Tide pods.

I manually hand wash everything. That means taking apart inserts and hand rubbing everything as well as swirling the water. It gets mighty gross coloured by the end.

After that rinse it out under the tap to get out any soapy cleaning agent left. Hang dry as you normally would (takes 2-3 days to dry depending on how good of airflow you have, probably less if you have a fan/dehumidifier setup).

Not you but I know people have their minds blown about washing gear like it will melt apart. I mean really hockey gear is meant to withstand being covered in hot liquid sweat for hours while getting hammered by pucks at 100km/hr+ as full grown men slam each other into the boards at 25km/hr+. So yes, gear can withstand a light rinse.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Or let it soak, then scrub that poo poo with a vinegar dish soap combo, spray it down with a hose and let it dry in the sun.

I wash my easy stuff every few games though (jock, foot socks, jerseys, shin guard liners, socks etc). It keeps most of it from smelling too bad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or throw it in the washing machine, hit a button, and drink a beer while electricity does all the work for you.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Washing hockey gear? That's crazy talk.

There's 25 year old DNA on my Supra shoulder pads, that's like the survival of my bloodline if my son doesn't have kids

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
For those of us who don't have front load machines ...

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I have a top-loader but it doesn't have the middle agitator. Checkmate.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Verman posted:

Or let it soak, then scrub that poo poo with a vinegar dish soap combo, spray it down with a hose and let it dry in the sun.

I wash my easy stuff every few games though (jock, foot socks, jerseys, shin guard liners, socks etc). It keeps most of it from smelling too bad.

You know how out of shape we are, any manual labour to improve endurance is a must

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

Yep, new season starts this Sunday for me too. We have a new goalie because our old kickass goalie who tolerated all our bullshit can't play full time anymore, he's got two teenage sons that also play sports and his spousal unit put the kibosh on him playing on two teams.

Our new goalie is a bit new to the position so probably better suited to our level of play but defense is gonna have to step it up.

You guys have the opposite problem I do. I can't get full timers for poo poo right now.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

I have a top-loader but it doesn't have the middle agitator. Checkmate.

It's easy to keep your gear smelling clean when you don't play.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i got cleared to start skating again and i was able to jog a bit and kick a soccer ball yesterday

EXCITE

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bradf0rd posted:

It's easy to keep your gear smelling clean when you don't play.
Checkmate.

bewbies posted:

i got cleared to start skating again and i was able to jog a bit and kick a soccer ball yesterday
RIP the frolf dream

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I have never ever washed my hockey gear, in 25 years of playing.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I just want to know what the hell are on hands to make gloves smell as bad as they do. Only part of my gear that bothers me the most stinkwise.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

calandryll posted:

I just want to know what the hell are on hands to make gloves smell as bad as they do. Only part of my gear that bothers me the most stinkwise.

Its just because they are so enclosed, and take forever to fully dry.

I wear out gloves after a season or two so I usually replace them before it gets tooo bad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lots of oil on your hands and the glove palms are made of soft absorbent materials.

A squirt of hand sanitizer before you put them on apparently helps, but I don't bother because I toss 'em in the washing machine.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

calandryll posted:

The worst part about that is taking a shower and washing your hands thoroughly and then they STILL smell faintly of gloves later.

I have a deck where I can air my stuff out though and that does help a lot with the smell. I also use anti mold stuff now and then.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 7, 2018

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah that's what I'm talking about, how the hell does that poo poo stick around so long. I have one the drying racks that dries everything really well, even just over night.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
A brine pipe ruptured so the week old league has been suspended for two weeks. I feel like the ‘94 Expos. We won our season opener 2-1 versus a team that beat us three times last fall and they just let the loving ice melt to keep us from starting the season 2-0? Bull. poo poo.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I felt like today was the best hockey game I've ever played, even better than my hat trick game. My defense is usually non-existent, but today I blocked a bunch of shots, intercepted some passes, and overall found myself in the right spot on the ice to make plays. It was capped off by the prettiest goal I've ever gotten, just a perfectly-placed one-timer in the top corner over the goalie's glove. I started off the season disappointingly bad, but the last two weeks have been great and now that I'm past the honeymoon stage of seeing noticeable gains every time I skate, this has been a very nice confidence boost.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I felt like today was the best hockey game I've ever played, even better than my hat trick game. My defense is usually non-existent, but today I blocked a bunch of shots, intercepted some passes, and overall found myself in the right spot on the ice to make plays. It was capped off by the prettiest goal I've ever gotten, just a perfectly-placed one-timer in the top corner over the goalie's glove. I started off the season disappointingly bad, but the last two weeks have been great and now that I'm past the honeymoon stage of seeing noticeable gains every time I skate, this has been a very nice confidence boost.

:cool::respek::cool:

Congrats. Getting out of a funk and having everything "click" for a game feels amazing.

Did you do anything different or just kept grinding away?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How hard to push when a teammate likely got their head smacked and insists they're fine? I mean it's their life, but on the other hand you don't think right when concussed.

Dude went awkwardly into the boards, wasn't super violent but I think his temple hit the dasher on the way down. I was on the bench and he didn't move at all in the time it took me to realize something was wrong and hop on the ice to skate over. Eventually came back and complaining it was his neck/shoulder that got hit but we're talking 10-15 seconds before I saw life.

Eventually he agreed to see a doctor if he felt funny later and hopefully it's nothing but it made me wonder if there's more that can be done in beer league.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

doctor 7 posted:

:cool::respek::cool:

Congrats. Getting out of a funk and having everything "click" for a game feels amazing.

Did you do anything different or just kept grinding away?

I didn't consciously do anything different. I think I'm just finally comfortable enough on skates where I don't have to think about how to do everything. As soon as I start thinking too much, that's when I fall down.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Welp, fractured a rib tonight. Raced to keep a puck the zone along the boards, caught a rut at the worst place possible, and flung into the boards awkwardly.

It's also my first broken bone :toot:

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
First game with my new team and welp, at least it wasn't a shutout: 8-2. I think only three or four of their guys scored, with one dude notching 4 of them. I guess at least they were nice enough to take their foot off the gas in the third period.

The team is mostly new people, so I guess maybe over time we'll build some more chemistry, but overall the other team was just much better. It's weird going from a league that's pretty tightly controlled in terms of balancing teams and skills to the usual beer hockey environment. In my usual league, it's pretty uncommon to see scores higher than like 6.

We also had like three players who left during the game cause they had other teams playing. I held my own, I think, but I was absolutely gassed by the end. Had a few decent defensive plays, carried the puck in a couple times, made a few good passes.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

xzzy posted:

How hard to push when a teammate likely got their head smacked and insists they're fine? I mean it's their life, but on the other hand you don't think right when concussed.

Dude went awkwardly into the boards, wasn't super violent but I think his temple hit the dasher on the way down. I was on the bench and he didn't move at all in the time it took me to realize something was wrong and hop on the ice to skate over. Eventually came back and complaining it was his neck/shoulder that got hit but we're talking 10-15 seconds before I saw life.

Eventually he agreed to see a doctor if he felt funny later and hopefully it's nothing but it made me wonder if there's more that can be done in beer league.

Make sure you have a doctor on the team, and that he is respected.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pros of having firemen on the team: they are usually trained in first aid and are likely first-responders.

Cons of having firemen on the team: they never show up because California is a giant tinderbox and is always on fire.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

Yeah that's tough. We had some dude that was new on the team and like 21 or something look pretty bad after a fall and he wouldn't really listen to anyone and the refs wouldn't say anything to him. Unfortunately I think it just depends on your relationship because there's (probably) not any real mechanism to force anyone out of a game.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Glad I don't have to deal with that poo poo. We have 1 doctor and 3 nurses on our team so anytime anyone gets potentially injured everyone is saying take your time to make sure you're OK before you come back.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

xzzy posted:

Yeah, that's about all you can do. I'm a nurse so I might've tried to do a concussion screen, but it's really up to the person. Maybe he did just hurt his neck and shoulder and he was just still because OMG PAIN. That would be a little weird though, usually people don't just lie/sit still when something hurts.

Anyway, you did all you could - glad he agreed to get looked at if he's feeling off, though.

Unrelated: my quest to preserve my old-rear end gear has failed. Replaced my shoulder pads today. The end of an era.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
you don't replace old shoulder pads, you just stop wearing shoulder pads

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And then all the never evers on the bench gape in awe and are all "wow I'd never not wear shoulder pads, what if a puck hits you??"

Though at our level the puck either hits you in the toe or flies 20 feet wide of the net.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Please don't make fun of my shots.

I haven't worn shoulder pads since I pretty started back again. I do wear a padded shirt that has about the same thickness of protection that my shoulder pads had, so I feel ok about stopping a puck.

A bunch of us started a new team for our league and had our first game on Sunday. We had played together here and there but drat if we weren't like a well oiled machine. We just meshed well together. It was also nice not being the only dude in the locker room after 10 minutes.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I only wear shoulder pads in games, when I am playing defense. I've been hit up high enough to not wear them. I don't wear them on drop-ins, though. I just let people shoot unobstructed instead of trying to get in front of a shot.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Now that I think about it, most times I get hit up high by pucks they manage to miss my shoulder pads anyway. Or maybe those are just the ones I remember.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you think about the angles involved it makes sense. A winger fronting a shot is gonna get it in the shins. A defender in the crease tends to get it in the belly.

If it goes higher than that it's sailing over the net because the shooter is a moron or it got deflected.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Any chance one of y'all plays around Syracuse? I've been trying to find a team to no avail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I didn't consciously do anything different. I think I'm just finally comfortable enough on skates where I don't have to think about how to do everything. As soon as I start thinking too much, that's when I fall down.

This is where I'm at too, and have been for quite a while. It's good because I'm good enough to get around and get where I want, but bad because I'm also good enough that I don't go to public skate to work on stuff 2x/week like I did when I was starting. There are still huge holes in my skating. Weak side pivots, weak side transitions, backwards crossovers, and even weak side forwards crossovers are all things I just don't do in games, and I just naturally paper over them with the moves I'm decent at.

I signed up for a beginners class again because I talked my mom and sister into trying it out so I think I'm going to try to ignore my strong side as much as possible and force myself to do everything weak side until it starts to feel more natural.

The other thing that seems to be the difference between a good game and a bad game is just getting a good sleep the night before and eating right the day of. I came back from a vacation a few weeks ago and played one of the best games of my life, probably because I had a straight week of sleeping 9 hours.