Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Syrinxx posted:

Short sellers are scum much like people that bet the don't pass bar in craps

Don’t come 4 life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
But the don't come has better odds why would I bet the come?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you are a retard like me loving with weed stocks CWEB is now on OTC, CWEBF on Fidelity

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Anyone eyeing $NIO for tomorrow? Maybe it'll be like TSLA but with less CEO idiocy and weed smoking?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Syrinxx posted:

Anyone eyeing $NIO for tomorrow? Maybe it'll be like TSLA but with less CEO idiocy and weed smoking?

At least they were able to get a car to last a lap on the ring

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hey guys, first-time investor here. Just turned 26 and I figure I should try to make some kind of investment with the few hundred bucks I have lying around.

Bought a few cheap shares of some Argentinian companies that seemed like might bounce back, a share of Tesla and Panasonic (batteries seem like a good long-term investment), a share of Twitter (I don't even know why), and some Costco. About $900 invested total, let's see where this goes.

Not really sure what I'm doing, but Costco seems like a very reliable and resilient pick. Didn't lose too badly in 2008 and bounced back pretty quickly with consistent gains. People always gotta eat.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I like Microsoft for the long game.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Same, I like the direction they've been headed the past few years in terms of the Surface and the way they've opened up development compared to the past.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
I don’t personally own MSFT, but I agree it’s a super solid long term play. I really like the direction they’ve been heading the past couple years, and I think they’ll excel at the cloud storage stuff.

jvick fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 12, 2018

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

literally this big posted:

Hey guys, first-time investor here. Just turned 26 and I figure I should try to make some kind of investment with the few hundred bucks I have lying around.

Bought a few cheap shares of some Argentinian companies that seemed like might bounce back, a share of Tesla and Panasonic (batteries seem like a good long-term investment), a share of Twitter (I don't even know why), and some Costco. About $900 invested total, let's see where this goes.

Not really sure what I'm doing, but Costco seems like a very reliable and resilient pick. Didn't lose too badly in 2008 and bounced back pretty quickly with consistent gains. People always gotta eat.

I’m a broken record about this, but this is the gambling thread where we make suboptimal investment choices for fun and sometimes profit. To actually invest your money you want this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

With that out of they way, what brokerage do you have and what kinds of transaction fees are they charging you?

For my picks, IIPR keeps trucking but LMNR shat the bed for me yesterday and my TSLA options are doing stupid poo poo that will result in me pissing away money.

$GE/$F Bagholder here, so ignore everything I say.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

F will eventually come back if you hold it long enough. If fully electric trucks catch on they will lead the way with the all new iF-150 or what ever.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Solice Kirsk posted:

F will eventually come back if you hold it long enough. If fully electric trucks catch on they will lead the way with the all new iF-150 or what ever.

F is the smart persons TSLA.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Another day, another 5% down for Micron.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I remember using little electric trucks for stuff on base in the military, and they were super convenient. I would like one of those little gas blue trucks I see in se asia but I would get yukonned to death I'm sure. I think the closest thing you can get to a little utility truck right now is the tacoma, I'd like an electric tacoma.

I bought INTC $48 oct calls yesterday for way too fuckin' much lol.

I guess F is starting to sell the ranger again: https://www.ford.com/trucks/ranger/2019/
My neighbor has a pristine 90s ranger and I put a lot of effort into not asking to borrow it all the time.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 12, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Almost time to avg down on MU and go long

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

dougdrums posted:

I remember using little electric trucks for stuff on base in the military, and they were super convenient. I would like one of those little gas blue trucks I see in se asia but I would get yukonned to death I'm sure. I think the closest thing you can get to a little utility truck right now is the tacoma, I'd like an electric tacoma.

Yeah, the SUVs are starting to appear with the Audi E-Tron, BMW iX3, Hyundai Kona Electric, Jaguar I-Pace, Kia Niro EV, Volvo XC40, etc. So hopefully light trucks will not be too far behind.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

In $NIO at 6.10 so I'm sure Trump will put some tariff that will cause it to bottom out now

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

crazypeltast52 posted:

I’m a broken record about this, but this is the gambling thread where we make suboptimal investment choices for fun and sometimes profit. To actually invest your money you want this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

With that out of they way, what brokerage do you have and what kinds of transaction fees are they charging you?

For my picks, IIPR keeps trucking but LMNR shat the bed for me yesterday and my TSLA options are doing stupid poo poo that will result in me pissing away money.

$GE/$F Bagholder here, so ignore everything I say.

Eh, I'm just learning how things work by throwing money into the void and hoping that some of it comes back to me, so this seems like the place for me.

I using Robinhood right now, so no fees or anything like that (is Robinhood OK to use?). I was on Acorns before, but it really wasn't doing anything for me. That $1 / month fee was really killing what little gains I did have on there.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Robin Hood is good, I think a lot of people here use them. Fees will eat you alive at that price point so it was a good move.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Last week I bought AOBC ahead of an anticipated Democratic win in at least the House in Congress.

Also put a couple hundred bucks on GERN at $5.75 who is a possible acquisition by Johnson & Johnson sometime between now and the 28th. It's in the low $6.00 range now and if it gets acquired it might go to 8 or 10. More likely it won't get acquired and will fall to $5 ish.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Eh, I'm just learning how things work by throwing money into the void and hoping that some of it comes back to me, so this seems like the place for me.

I using Robinhood right now, so no fees or anything like that (is Robinhood OK to use?). I was on Acorns before, but it really wasn't doing anything for me. That $1 / month fee was really killing what little gains I did have on there.

Ya I was hoping you used robinhood for those trades! But don't let free options tempt you ... yet.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I reckon at this rate AMD will hit its all time high but as soon as investor sentiment changes it will tank back to what it was a couple months ago.

I will probably add *some INTC if it hits 43. They have a lot of good stuff they are working which will probably only come into fruition next year.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Ulio posted:

I reckon at this rate AMD will hit its all time high but as soon as investor sentiment changes it will tank back to what it was a couple months ago.

I will probably add *some INTC if it hits 43. They have a lot of good stuff they are working which will probably only come into fruition next year.

I don't think so, the new Nvidia GPUs coming out in the next month or two might drop it 10% if there's loads of news about them taking more market share. When the reviews start dropping for Zen 2 in 1H 2019 it'll be another big spike I think (assuming they don't gently caress it up). Intel don't have an answer to it, this could be the first time in nearly 10 years AMD have a process and IPC advantage over Intel, even if it's only for a few months - could be lots of uncertainty towards the end of 2019 with Navi's release.

I am waiting for a little dip before throwing more in though

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Risky Bisquick posted:

Almost time to avg down on MU and go long

I chickened out it didn't go below 40. I don't want some crazy % of my portfolio tied up in the case the bears are right about dram forecasts.

I bought AMD / SQ / NFLX / AMZN instead. AMD already up bigly, everything else is sub 5% bleh

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I don't think so, the new Nvidia GPUs coming out in the next month or two might drop it 10% if there's loads of news about them taking more market share. When the reviews start dropping for Zen 2 in 1H 2019 it'll be another big spike I think (assuming they don't gently caress it up). Intel don't have an answer to it, this could be the first time in nearly 10 years AMD have a process and IPC advantage over Intel, even if it's only for a few months - could be lots of uncertainty towards the end of 2019 with Navi's release.

I am waiting for a little dip before throwing more in though

Waiting for a dip on Intel or aMD?

Throwing more in what. I don't doubt AMD has a good product and they are now competing in both CPU/GPUs. I just think investor sentiment is irrational if anytime of selling starts it will tank but that might just be some sort correction in the long run.

INTC has already invested in 5G and machine learning/deep learning which AMD have 0 market share when it hits.. Some think there is no room for both of them but I think people will realize the semi conductor industry will just keep growing with more automation/iot/dl ml.. Ya the semiconductors are not doing too hot right now but September is always a slow month.

Anyway I am probably gonna add INTC sometime this month. Looks like the resistance at 44.84 was passed maybe it will do good on the open tomorrow.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

dougdrums posted:

Ya I was hoping you used robinhood for those trades! But don't let free options tempt you ... yet.
So, what the heck are these 'options' I keep hearing about.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on SUPV? It's some Argentinian financial company that's tanked pretty hard over the last year, but looks like it's bottomed out and might start to make a comeback. I know nothing about Argentinian economics (on top the the next to nothing I know about stock trading), but it seems like very little risk for potentially large gains. Even if it ends up being a wash, it only costs a few bucks.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Robinhood won’t even let me buy HMNY don’t use it

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
https://www.theocc.com/about/publications/character-risks.jsp

The third paragraph on pdf page 5 is the textbook definition. tldr stock insurance.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Ulio posted:

Waiting for a dip on Intel or aMD?

Throwing more in what. I don't doubt AMD has a good product and they are now competing in both CPU/GPUs. I just think investor sentiment is irrational if anytime of selling starts it will tank but that might just be some sort correction in the long run.

INTC has already invested in 5G and machine learning/deep learning which AMD have 0 market share when it hits.. Some think there is no room for both of them but I think people will realize the semi conductor industry will just keep growing with more automation/iot/dl ml.. Ya the semiconductors are not doing too hot right now but September is always a slow month.

Anyway I am probably gonna add INTC sometime this month. Looks like the resistance at 44.84 was passed maybe it will do good on the open tomorrow.

AMD on both. not interested in owning Intel. I'd buy NVDA, though. waiting for this new GPU release to see how well it goes and if it presents a buying opportunity

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Comrayn posted:

Robinhood won’t even let me buy HMNY don’t use it
you should be putting your life savings into ARYC any ways

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
$TSLA also up today for 4% on I guess news that a Chinese competitor’s IPO didn’t go well? Also their VP / Director of Worldwide Finance left and the stock popped. I have no idea anymore.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Lote posted:

$TSLA also up today for 4% on I guess news that a Chinese competitor’s IPO didn’t go well? Also their VP / Director of Worldwide Finance left and the stock popped. I have no idea anymore.

Musk is cutting some of that executive fat now the tent factory will be more efficient!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I sold out of my TSLA call today, paid for both options, so the put is just chilling as a lottery ticket for the next tweet/interview.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on SUPV? It's some Argentinian financial company that's tanked pretty hard over the last year, but looks like it's bottomed out and might start to make a comeback. I know nothing about Argentinian economics (on top the the next to nothing I know about stock trading), but it seems like very little risk for potentially large gains. Even if it ends up being a wash, it only costs a few bucks.
Argentina is getting clusterfucked. I know an expat guy who went down there a few years ago, and he returned urgently this year. Rates are over 50% I think. I mean, thats the government, it's that risky.

You should take currency risks into account when you trade foreign stocks, especially banks.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 12, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have two coworkers that live in Argentina, we pay them in USD and they have to go to a bank in BA staffed with armed guards every two weeks to get money.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 12, 2018

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

The more I think about it, the more I like the play that Dems will end up winning the House and reel Trump's dumb rear end in, which will help all markets, but especially EM. I know some people that are worried about the market making GBS threads the bed when Dems win, but I don't see it. Tax cuts are already a done deal, and Trump is an inverse "Key Man Risk".

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

shame on an IGA posted:

I want to play major supply disruptions in pork and softwood pulp products, what do?

I'm circling back to this, you did some solid DD, I ran across a post made yesterday in an unrelated forum

quote:

There will be an unfathomable amount of pig manure in the floodwater. Hog futures were way up this morning, as all signs are pointing to a massive impact to the epicenter of US pork production in eastern NC. Those around the Neuse river basin would do well to stay out of the water and stay sanitary.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...icane-florence

Those of us elsewhere in the US ought to stock up on pork now.

Signed, your friendly neighborhood environmental engineer/bbq competitor

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 13, 2018

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

So, what the heck are these 'options' I keep hearing about.

Options are good if you like to speculate on asymmetric bets. Very time-sensitive securities that typically the trades are losers, but if your bet is correct the gains can be huge.

Are you Argentinian by chance? Do you enjoy mate? My favorite brands are Playadito, Union and Taragui.
I'm asking if you are from Argentina or lived there, since that's the only reason I can think of you would want to invest in a financial company based there (meaning perhaps you have an edge).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

numberoneposter posted:

you should be putting your life savings into ARYC any ways

Username / post combo :clap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Had to sell all my TGIF this morning :negative: I bought them on the Frankfurt exchange because my broker doesn't trade on the CSE and Clearstream, the company that settles transactions for the Frankfurt exchange, are delisting them tomorrow - would've made a fortune if they hit 1 euro again. At least I got something from it.

Same poo poo is happening to EAT as well but I'm down over 50% on them - can't decide if I should sell now and take the hit or go through the process of getting them moved to another broker and then moved over to the Canadian exchange in case they're back up again in a year or two.