Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, LG has never given any guidelines on burn in other than "most people are unlikely to see it". 30,000 hours has always been runtime of the whole TV before it reaches half brightness. Which, under most viewing conditions, is more or less even.

4,000 hours of CNN is 8 hours a day for almost 1.5 years. If that's your viewing patterns, don't buy an OLED. Also, don't interact with members of the public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Who absentmindedly forgets to turn a TV off?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

5 year olds

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Who absentmindedly forgets to turn a TV off for 3 years?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Not so much that as it’s just kind of on all the time. The Panasonic plasma at my house is on 12-16 hours a day. I weep in anticipation of its death and the move to OLED and then getting burn in in a year or less.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Samsung's QLED just means quantum dots, which other brands have too. It means they have a good wide color gamut and lets them get bright while cutting down on energy usage. The high end models have fancy coatings and lots of dimming zones so their black levels are good for LCD panels. However they also dim too aggressively in an effort to combat halos and details are lost. They also apparently don't follow the proper brightness curve in HDR so their TVs look brighter than they should, which maybe has them look more impressive in stores, but when you sit down to watch them the image looks wrong and things like people's skin looks over bright and washed out. Like bull said the Sony TVs offer most of the performance of the Samsung TVs while costing a lot less and presenting a more accurate picture.

I hope I can get a couple more years out of my plasma too. I think I've had it 4 or 5 years and just recently I've noticed the cartoon network logo is burned in. Being a block of full white with black letters I think it's probably the worst case scenario for burn in. I can only see it when the picture is displaying a bright solid color, and only when I'm looking for it so it doesn't bother me. I'd hate to have that happen on an OLED after a year though. I really hope OLED burn in gets solved or something else comes along before I need a new TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You aren't going to see that with OLED after a year unless you are literally watching the thing that causes burn in for a year.

Burn in on OLED is cumulative. Throw out what you know about burn in from plasma, the behavior is completely different. There's no resting the set or varying content to "wash" the screen. 4,000 hours of that static image will do the same thing if it's 1.5 years straight, 1 hour a day for 4,000 days, or one hour a year for 4,000 years.

There have also been improvements year over year.

2016: No active wear compensation. The Pixel Refresher that's in the set that runs after every 4 hours or manually triggered is only concerned with voltage regulation on the backplane. That eliminates short term image retention and can help uniformity, but does nothing for actual burn in.

2017: Active wear compensation built in. The tv tracks how hard subpixels have been run and there's an output boosting algorithm to mask the brightness decline from wear. There's obviously a limit to how much it can compensate. There's also indications that the algorithm isn't perfect and can sometimes cause reverse burn in for a short period.

2018: Further refinement of the above algorithm along with structural changes to the TV. All of the colored subpixels got larger with the subpixel behind the red filter getting a 50% boost in size. Larger subpixel means it doesn't have to be driven as hard to get the same light level so wear decreases.

There's indications that the 2019 models will come from a new generation plant (at least the flagship models). 2016, 2017, and 2018 can all be considered iterative improvements of the same basic manufacturing process. 2019 (or possibly 2020) looks like it may be a true next gen design.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 11, 2018

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Ultimate Mango posted:

The Panasonic plasma at my house is on 12-16 hours a day.

Probably a $250/year difference in power usage alone between that and an OLED, so you'd probably break even before you see burn-in.

I started noticing image retention on my plasma recently -- especially during winter. Heart display from BOTW was visible for a few hours. I chalked it up to it getting older.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KS posted:

Probably a $250/year difference in power usage alone between that and an OLED, so you'd probably break even before you see burn-in.
lol

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Questions about curved TVs:

1) Is there any tangible advantage to the curve, or does it just look fancy?

2) Assuming there's a reason to buy one, will it work with a standard wall mount or do you have to buy a special one?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Curved TVs are kind of a gimmick from 3-5 years ago imho. I dunno if there would specifically be any reason to get one but if you like the look of them then knock yourself out. My dad has one of the 2015 LGs and I hardly even notice the fact that it's curved. Mounting should be the same as a regular set but it might varry by model.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Macaroni posted:

2) Assuming there's a reason to buy one, will it work with a standard wall mount or do you have to buy a special one?

I think the advantage is that if you sit right in the middle of the curvature it takes up a greater amount of your vision (in theory) than a flat screen. But the difference is minor and it's basically a fancy gimmick.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have an LG OLED 55" B6P

Which HDMI ports should I be using for my devices, or are they all equal? I have an Apple TV and a PC hooked up to it. Do all the HDMI ports support things like HDR or are there specific one which are preferred?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

They oughta be labeled. PC should go into DVI if its there.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
There's just 4 HDMI ports, two in back and two on the side.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Macaroni posted:

I never sat close enough for the curve to be immersive. You'd have to be a 7 year old playing their Nintendo on the floor in front of the media center (or a 35 year old dealing with the NES Classic tiny cords) for it to be noticeable.

As for the mounting, the Samsung set I had used these plastic spacer pads that went on the back of the set, between the mount plates and the TV back. I think it was to give the plate a flat surface to grab on to.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Thanks for the answers, everyone. My dad bought a curved Samsung and when I asked him why, he said "Because it looked cool." I figured there wasn't much reasoning behind it.

After reading this thread and some other resources, I'm thinking about getting an $800-ish Samsung or LG 55", and possibly upgrading in a few years when OLED improves/gets cheaper. Eyeballing this Samsung for its 240 refresh rate.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 12, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have an LG OLED 55" B6P

Which HDMI ports should I be using for my devices, or are they all equal? I have an Apple TV and a PC hooked up to it. Do all the HDMI ports support things like HDR or are there specific one which are preferred?

All LG HDMI ports are fully featured but you will have to enable UHD features within the menu.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Consider https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204548.p?skuId=6204548 instead.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I'll check that out, thanks! Didn't think TCL had 240Hz models but I wasn't looking at Best Buy previously.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Very much doubt its 240hz especially if its TCL, there is a lot of marketing fuckery involving refresh rates. Refresh is usually half what the advertised rate is, different manufacturers have different names on it

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Macaroni posted:

The curve will make the image look better in a narrow sweet spot at the focus point. From everywhere else in the room it'll be worse. It's not by much in either direction.

Personally I think curved TVs are stupid in most cases. A dedicated home theater with a huge screen and limited number of seats that can be right in the sweet spot, sure, it might be worth it. An average living room with a 49-65 inch display and a furniture layout suited for other things than just watching TV, probably not.

Curved PC monitors are great once you go beyond a certain width because you sit so close to them, TVs for the most part aren't the same, so you're just risking more backlight problems without any real benefits.

quote:

If it says it has VESA mounting holes it'll work with standard wall mounts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Macaroni posted:

I'll check that out, thanks! Didn't think TCL had 240Hz models but I wasn't looking at Best Buy previously.

I guess I'll ask why you think you need a 240hz refresh rate.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

bull3964 posted:

All LG HDMI ports are fully featured but you will have to enable UHD features within the menu.

Does it have to be a certain input type? I’m actually trying to get an HDR PC game to run but the HDR option isn’t recognized in the game. HDR works on the Apple TV so I know it has it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does it have to be a certain input type? I’m actually trying to get an HDR PC game to run but the HDR option isn’t recognized in the game. HDR works on the Apple TV so I know it has it.

No, there's no other configuration on the tv side needed other than turning it on. I know getting HDR output from games on PC can be challenging.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

bull3964 posted:

I guess I'll ask why you think you need a 240hz refresh rate.
FOR EXTREME VIDEO GAMING ACTION. Joking aside, I'm using refresh rate as a proxy to identify newer hardware. I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how old a given TV is, even when looking up model numbers and tech specs, but claimed 240Hz refresh rate on a cheaper TV is an indication of slightly more recent production.

I wouldn't care, but as far as I can see many retailers are still selling 2017 and even 2016 units without offering much discount, so I'd rather get a newer TV for roughly the same money.

Edit: It's not something I have to have, either.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 13, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My advice is to just look at rtings motion tests and call it a day. There's so much smoke and mirrors related to refresh rates and it's really only the results that matter.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ding ding ding! Unfortunately for me I want interpolation of 30 and 60fps sources and that seems to be limited to the mid upper mid range-high end

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

The Macaroni posted:

FOR EXTREME VIDEO GAMING ACTION. Joking aside, I'm using refresh rate as a proxy to identify newer hardware. I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how old a given TV is, even when looking up model numbers and tech specs, but claimed 240Hz refresh rate on a cheaper TV is an indication of slightly more recent production.

I wouldn't care, but as far as I can see many retailers are still selling 2017 and even 2016 units without offering much discount, so I'd rather get a newer TV for roughly the same money.

Edit: It's not something I have to have, either.

I mean, clearly TCL is updating their model basically each year. It's the de facto model to get at the price range. It has lovely vertical banding on a pure grey screen or some sports situations, but the rest of the TV is great. I pulled the trigger on mine.

I'm talking about the 2018 TCL 6 series.

It's impressive to see the Chinese brand give Samsung / Sony / Vizio a run for their money, unfortunately because of years of terrible Chinese TVs people have developed brand loyalty almost like car brands based on perceived quality, so a name like TCL will throw a ton of low-information buyers away. They ought to start a new cool-sounding brand.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 14, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Follow up to my earlier question, rtings says the TCL has a pretty bad viewing angle (though not altogether out of the ordinary). Can anyone speak to how bad it is in practice? If you had people sitting six across with the TV in the center would those on the outside have issues?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Every single non-IPS panel TV will get this rating. I dont think its all that bad unless you are on a really ridiculous angle. They make it out to seem like if you are 2 degrees off center than you will just see a big negative.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

ItBreathes posted:

Follow up to my earlier question, rtings says the TCL has a pretty bad viewing angle (though not altogether out of the ordinary). Can anyone speak to how bad it is in practice? If you had people sitting six across with the TV in the center would those on the outside have issues?

I have the 55R617 in my living room which is pretty bright and I sit fairly off-center most of the time and I haven't noticed any degradation. This seems like a non-issue most of the time.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

codo27 posted:

Every single non-IPS panel TV will get this rating. I dont think its all that bad unless you are on a really ridiculous angle. They make it out to seem like if you are 2 degrees off center than you will just see a big negative.

The way I can explain it, if you are more than 10 or 20 degrees off center, that means left right up or down off center, the image will seem more like a $300 or $400 panel in terms of black levels and color vibrance than the way it looks when you're dead center.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
If you have a three person couch 8 feet away centered up with a 65" TV then a person sitting on the ends of the couch will be looking more or less directly at one side of the TV and at about a 30 degree angle to the other side of the TV. That's probably the extreme for TV size and viewing distance, but it gives an idea of how bad the viewing angle can be even with ideal seating. It gives a weird effect where one side of the TV has more contrast, better black levels and more vivid colors than the other. It's also something most people don't notice unless it's pointed out to them and you can probably forget about it once you get watching something anyway. Personally I mostly only notice bad viewing angles when I move around. One TV I have is really bad if you look down at it instead of up at it so when you stand up the picture goes from vibrant colors to washed out grey colors. Of course you aren't doing that constantly while watching something.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Speaking of viewing angles...

I've started looking for a 55" TV. My living room is shallow and wide so I've got a 92" sofa with a small recliner next to it both facing the TV stand against the wall. So it's about 120" of seating and it's only about 7 feet from the screen.

I looked at IPS but the X800E seems to be kind of the only option in my price range. The other thing I thought about is going with a VA panel and then getting something like this. Is the viewing angle on an IPS screen worth considering if a swiveling mount will solve most of my viewing angle problems anyway?

I don't expect to have five people watching the screen at once, I just want to be able to see it well when I sit in the recliner.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Our situations are near identical. Really need to upgrade from my old 46" Samsung. I want 65" but recently been entertaining 55" due to financial reasons, but gently caress there ain't poo poo to be had in that size at a worthwhile price. Not in Canada anyway

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Something Offal posted:

I mean, clearly TCL is updating their model basically each year. It's the de facto model to get at the price range. It has lovely vertical banding on a pure grey screen or some sports situations, but the rest of the TV is great. I pulled the trigger on mine.

I'm talking about the 2018 TCL 6 series.

It's impressive to see the Chinese brand give Samsung / Sony / Vizio a run for their money, unfortunately because of years of terrible Chinese TVs people have developed brand loyalty almost like car brands based on perceived quality, so a name like TCL will throw a ton of low-information buyers away. They ought to start a new cool-sounding brand.
Speaking of which, Samsung used to be a brand I trusted implicitly until my UN50F6300 had a) a sluggish, buggy UI and b) a power board that exploded one night with a loud pop while watching TV.

I recently got a PS4 Pro and I'd like to go 4k to get the most out of it. I also like cool and good things for low prices. Cursory research tells me the TCL 55R617 is the way to go?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Gray Matter posted:

Speaking of which, Samsung used to be a brand I trusted implicitly until my UN50F6300 had a) a sluggish, buggy UI and b) a power board that exploded one night with a loud pop while watching TV.

I recently got a PS4 Pro and I'd like to go 4k to get the most out of it. I also like cool and good things for low prices. Cursory research tells me the TCL 55R617 is the way to go?

Yes sir, if you're looking for a 4k 55" panel I can't think of anything better in the price range. It's what I went with.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I was set to pick up a TCL 55R615 today but then I did some additional research into the vertical banding problem and that scared me off. Even on the display unit at Best Buy it was really obvious after 30 seconds of the in-store demo footage, and I can tell it would drive me nuts. Evidently some panels are better than others but I'm really not interested in playing TV lottery.

So now I'm thinking of jumping back up past the $900 price point (X800E, NU8000) all the way to the 55" Sony X900F :v:. I'm gonna sleep on it but it looks like it does everything I want without any deal-breaking flaws. It's more than I wanted to spend but still within my budget.

Of course at that price point I'm also well into the 65" entry-level range. At ~8 feet from the screen the money should go towards better image quality rather than more real estate, right?

EDIT: Looks like the X930E is available at a few local Best Buys. It's $100 cheaper and RTings seems to rate them about the same, is there a good reason to splurge on the newer model?

FBS fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Can any of you clever TV dudes tell me what the actual gently caress is broken in this? It does it across all inputs and the OS so it isn’t external https://youtu.be/wCfdJFlo2uc