Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Haha it was part of the show. Well done Timmy.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Oh my god my HomePod just gave me directions to the theater

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
didn't run face first into the glass, not realistic 0/10

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I made a live stream thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868625

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

e: hungover and being crotchety, ignore my pedantry.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 12, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The most unrealistic part about this Mission Impossible video is the part where Siri worked.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
VapeWatch.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lmao

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Cool camera. I just hope they have at least have one new feature like they usually do for S's

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Every time they show off the new camera I’m like “Wow! What a camera! Truly a bold step into the future” even though I know I would just use it to take the same lovely pictures of my kid smearing food on his face

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
So the XR is the new SE

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Vintersorg posted:

do they sound any better than the buds that come with the iphones?

AirPods? Yea, just a bit. Better low end. It's not "holy poo poo how do these sound so much better" but more "cool, these actually sound a little better than the wired version somehow, instead of trading off sound quality for convenience."

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Over There posted:

So the XR is the new SE
Except it's bigger than the XS and costs $800.

There will never be another SE, which is exactly why I'm going to buy some new-in-box while I still can and keep my small phone dream going for the next 10 years.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
lol they hate 3D Touch, even two years later the cheapFor EverybodyTM model doesn't get it

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I may have missed it but is the ios 12 release on Monday?

CarPlay Ball is in your court now Waze/Google!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I see you can now get AppleCare by the month rather than in one lump sum and it also optionally covers theft and loss.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
$750 for XR, $999 for an XS. And the XR doesn’t launch until frickin October.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Over There posted:

So the XR is the new SE

It feels a shame they're just trying to do a cutdown XS rather than making something at a lower price point that's also the best at what it is, but eh. I'll probably get one anyway.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

iPhone 7 still the best phone

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

EL BROMANCE posted:

It feels a shame they're just trying to do a cutdown XS rather than making something at a lower price point that's also the best at what it is, but eh. I'll probably get one anyway.
I haven't looked too deeply into the specs but it seems worse in every conceivable way and is also only $250 cheaper than an XS. Unless you're SUPER strapped for cash I can't imagine buying an XR would be a good decision for anyone. If it were somewhere in the $600 range I could see the benefit, but when they're that close it just doesn't make much sense to go for the gimped one. At that point just get a 7 or an 8 for considerably cheaper.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I hope the absence of iPhone XR cases from Apple’s online store is just because it’s not launching for another few weeks and not because they don’t intend to make any. Apple cases are so nice and I definitely wouldn’t use a glass-backed phone without one.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m considering an Xs and taking my 20mp 25x optical zoom point and shoot out of my hiking bag. Apple says these dual lenses have “optical zoom.” Is it any good or should I keep my other camera for things like mountain shots?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

I see you can now get AppleCare by the month rather than in one lump sum and it also optionally covers theft and loss.

Is that part of the AUP or a standalone thing?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Weedle posted:

I hope the absence of iPhone XR cases from Apple’s online store is just because it’s not launching for another few weeks and not because they don’t intend to make any. Apple cases are so nice and I definitely wouldn’t use a glass-backed phone without one.

I thought the XR phones were aluminum or some poo poo, only the Xs ones were glass?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

OldSenileGuy posted:

I thought the XR phones were aluminum or some poo poo, only the Xs ones were glass?
They've all got glass backs to allow for wireless charging.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

American McGay posted:

Except it's bigger than the XS
Wait is it really? Is it the body size that's bigger? I can't believe they'd make the cheaper option have a bigger screen.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just paid off my 7+ and I was going to update but tbh I might just get a battery replacement and hold on for another year. It's still great.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait is it really? Is it the body size that's bigger? I can't believe they'd make the cheaper option have a bigger screen.

XS: 5.8”
XR: 6.1”
XS Max: 6.5”

The XR’s display is still cheaper than the XS’, despite its larger size, because it’s LCD rather than OLED.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Did they not mention airpower?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So the xr is the only phone that doesn’t have a buy unlocked feature. Looking at prices it’s also cheaper to get a 128 gig of that at $800 than it is to get an iPhone 8+ 128 unlocked 😂 I’ll be buying one in December or January (I have a 6s+ and use Cricket, so I buy outright ). I guess I’ll have to wait till at least December before they throw the buy unlocked button.

Also color wise. Blue, coral or red. :homebrew:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

American McGay posted:

I haven't looked too deeply into the specs but it seems worse in every conceivable way and is also only $250 cheaper than an XS. Unless you're SUPER strapped for cash I can't imagine buying an XR would be a good decision for anyone. If it were somewhere in the $600 range I could see the benefit, but when they're that close it just doesn't make much sense to go for the gimped one. At that point just get a 7 or an 8 for considerably cheaper.

Isn't the 3 major things

* OLED screen (I have an OLED TV, it rules and it'd be nice if my phone had it too but not essential)
* Better Camera (I have a good DSLR/lenses for when I need to take something better than cellphone quality)
* No 3D Touch (I don't have it on my 6 anyway, so wouldn't miss it)

I'm sure there'll be full breakdowns to see if there's anything more than this, but I'm not seeing $250 of value for myself.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Tell me if I missed this, but they didn't announce a price drop for the iPhone 8 line, did they?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Weedle posted:

XS: 5.8”
XR: 6.1”
XS Max: 6.5”

The XR’s display is still cheaper than the XS’, despite its larger size, because it’s LCD rather than OLED.
Oh wow, that's weird.

I was confused at the end of the keynote when they showed that they've got fuckin' 6 models of the iPhone they're currently selling: 7, 8, XR, XS and XS Max.

Haven't they usually stuck to 3 or 4 at a time?

I was sure that when they announced the 3rd new X model, they'd phase out the 7 (and maybe even the 8), but nope :thunk:

nerox
May 20, 2001
What all interferes with wireless charging? I use one of those Magnetic phone mounts for my car which has a plate you stick on the back of the case so it sticks to the magnet. Will using that plate block wireless charging?

Edit: Basically I want to be able to stick my phone onto my dash without having to adjust any clamps and retain wireless charging. If there is a mount that does this and charges as well, that would be even better. My truck has the round air vents that spin and roll pretty easily, so an air vent mount is no good, I like the cd-player mounts (cause I haven't touched a CD in like 5 years).

nerox fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 12, 2018

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

American McGay posted:

I mean some people genuinely don't care about the features that extra $250 gets you, but want the newest phone, so why not? The XR is also using the A12 chip, which is a big deal. My wife doesn't give a gently caress about oled/lcd, 3d touch, and for the camera just wants to have portrait mode. Sure she can afford a XS but it isn't going to provide her any more value. Actually, I assume the XR has a better battery life too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Macaroni posted:

Tell me if I missed this, but they didn't announce a price drop for the iPhone 8 line, did they?

They're $100 cheaper. Starting at $599 instead of $699.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Rolo posted:

I’m considering an Xs and taking my 20mp 25x optical zoom point and shoot out of my hiking bag. Apple says these dual lenses have “optical zoom.” Is it any good or should I keep my other camera for things like mountain shots?
They don't "zoom" like a P&S camera, you can just switch between the 2 different ones, and one is more zoomed in than the other. So, like, you can't dial it in to be halfway in between. It's either zoomed in or it's not.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

nerox posted:

What all interferes with wireless charging? I use one of those Magnetic phone mounts for my car which has a plate you stick on the back of the case so it sticks to the magnet. Will using that plate block wireless charging?

Yes and no. I have the same thing and I can position it under my case so that it still sticks and can still charge. That being said... wireless charging is kind of dog poo poo. It takes forever compared to just plugging it in. I can get to like 80% in 20 minutes I feel like plugged in and it takes hours and hours to charge up on wireless with fast charging. I'm sure some people like the wireless charging but for me it's been completely underwhelming (iphone x).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001

particle9 posted:

Yes and no. I have the same thing and I can position it under my case so that it still sticks and can still charge. That being said... wireless charging is kind of dog poo poo. It takes forever compared to just plugging it in. I can get to like 80% in 20 minutes I feel like plugged in and it takes hours and hours to charge up on wireless with fast charging. I'm sure some people like the wireless charging but for me it's been completely underwhelming (iphone x).

I am way more interested in wireless charging for my bedside overnight.