Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Solar Coaster posted:

I'm all for it, I hate being around drivers who cant put their phones down.

I'm from a place with a no cellphone driving policy, recently I was on vacation in Miami where it was actually rarer to see someone not using their phone and driving. I'm pretty sure I watched a guy vlogging while doing a u turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

computer angel posted:

I'm from a place with a no cellphone driving policy, recently I was on vacation in Miami where it was actually rarer to see someone not using their phone and driving. I'm pretty sure I watched a guy vlogging while doing a u turn.

The owner of the company I used to work for would livestream on Facebook while he drove down the road without a seatbelt. The day he gets in a wreck doing that will be a thing to see since he also has a dashcam.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the phone policy is reasonable, devices do naturally pull your attention from the road. Stuff like eating, drinking and smoking isn't blanket banned though, it's only a problem if it actually causes you to drive dangerously.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
there's a massive difference between hitting the Scan Forward button on your radio and repeatedly stabbing at whatever tiny on-screen touch UI you're using on your phone to do whatever the hell, even if it's not texting

mobile phones should not be used in cars

and i say this as someone who does that sometimes, because what the gently caress else am i gonna do, but i really wish there was a better way

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
i think i just realized the new gilded age has its own standard oil in amazon

and its own fuckin john d. rockefeller in jeff bozos

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

succ posted:

working from home is an extreme luxury for the professional working class.

many service sector workers are experiencing an opposite phenomenon fueled by data collection and analysis determined to extract as much labor out of a worker as possible on the job site (Amazon warehouses, retail, food service, hotel service etc)

:agreed:

literally everyone I know working retail (myself and spouse included) would kill for a 'boring' office job

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

only upside to working retail for us is that our 'commute' is an extremely short walk instead of an hour in Hell Traffic (which most of our respective coworkers have to do and idgi)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have had to work unpaid overtime from home after office hours lol

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

The Snoo posted:

:agreed:

literally everyone I know working retail (myself and spouse included) would kill for a 'boring' office job

I had a boring office job as a computer toucher and now I work in a bike store and I'm way happier.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

unironically that's awesome and I'm glad you had that choice

unfortunately a lot of people don't, and a lot of retail is poo poo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've worked retail and office and I would take my lovely office job but only because I don't have sale goals to meet. I still have to deal with idiot customers

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
work from home was cool when i had it but i vastly prefer my manual labor job in a heavily unionized industry where the idea of "unpaid overtime" is treated like a dead baby joke.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Powershift posted:

You can, just don't hit a bump in the road while you're doing so or a video of you drinking water will be sent to your boss, who will reprimand you for it.

How many truck drivers are wearing diapers these days?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i took an early out at work the other day and they just attached it to my schedule after my lunch— so like, it said LUNCH 7-730 EO 730. so at 7 i loving clocked out and went home.

i just saw on my time sheet that apparently my manager was emailed about me not taking a lunch that day. PLEASE call me into an office to admonish me for not hanging out at work for 30 min so i could click the appropriate clock out button to make the time sheet look right

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

everyone responsible for managing a time sheet is the absolute most fuckup idiot jackass.

i used 24 hour time to sign one once and the person in hr was confused and thought i worked 13 hours that week, not that i loving came in for my shift at 13:00.

those idiots got paid more than me.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
https://nypost.com/2018/09/10/young-blood-could-be-the-secret-to-long-lasting-health-study/

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Literal capitalist vampire

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Bet the teenagers aren't getting duely compensated for their plasma

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

starkebn posted:

Bet the teenagers aren't getting duely compensated for their plasma

They get the experience of being involved in a medical procedure.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Tomorrow I'm going to take part in a clinical trial, all I know is that it involves malaria, but will pay a few grand over several weeks.

Content:

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/...ntent=edit-swap

TheMostFrench has issued a correction as of 09:35 on Sep 12, 2018

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

My company installed a new telephony service so they don't have to pay for landlines any more. The expectation is that you will record a voicemail greeting every day with that days date, in case a customer calls.

No customer has ever called me, or indeed, been given my number, as I'm a computer toucher. I have not installed the new software, let alone recorded a voice greeting, though I did direct colleagues to useful resources that would let them automatically create and upload text to speech greetings so they'd waste less time on this imbecile stunt.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That "human Uber" is literally just an Arrested Development joke made real. I don't know how I feel about that.

Spuckuk posted:

My company installed a new telephony service so they don't have to pay for landlines any more. The expectation is that you will record a voicemail greeting every day with that days date, in case a customer calls.

Ours replaced our old phones with new fancy phones that are connected to the internet. The day they activated we started having problems with the fax machine and the system we use to do everything at work. And every phone conversation is full of static and drops regularly.

Turns out our internet isn't good enough to have these phones. So they bought us brand new phones that have made it harder to do our jobs. It's been two weeks and they still haven't figured out what to do.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Len posted:

That "human Uber" is literally just an Arrested Development joke made real. I don't know how I feel about that.

Ours replaced our old phones with new fancy phones that are connected to the internet. The day they activated we started having problems with the fax machine and the system we use to do everything at work. And every phone conversation is full of static and drops regularly.

Turns out our internet isn't good enough to have these phones. So they bought us brand new phones that have made it harder to do our jobs. It's been two weeks and they still haven't figured out what to do.

Your company either got duped by a lovely salesperson or the salesperson didn’t know enough to have your bandwidth checked which is like VoIP 101. You’re basically forced into upgrading your internet bandwidth now.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Your company either got duped by a lovely salesperson or the salesperson didn’t know enough to have your bandwidth checked which is like VoIP 101. You’re basically forced into upgrading your internet bandwidth now.

The salesperson's second job is for their ISP.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/979032888271429645?s=20

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

elmer chud posted:

The salesperson's second job is for their ISP.

If they work for the same company I did, the ISP and the phone system seller are the same. For the most part the reps knew what they were selling, but every once in a while you’d get someone who would try putting 40 voice and data users on a single T1. To be fair though, sometimes it was the customer being cheap and not understanding bandwidth, then complaining when it didn’t work properly.

In any case, there’s your Telecom Update, please resume making GBS threads on capitalism.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC0mTMz9CdM

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Surprisingly natural.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Duscat posted:

there's a massive difference between hitting the Scan Forward button on your radio and repeatedly stabbing at whatever tiny on-screen touch UI you're using on your phone

Not if you're driving a Tesla model 3 :imunfunny:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

No customer has ever called me, or indeed, been given my number, as I'm a computer toucher. I have not installed the new software, let alone recorded a voice greeting, though I did direct colleagues to useful resources that would let them automatically create and upload text to speech greetings so they'd waste less time on this imbecile stunt.

They don't even give us desk or cell phones here unless you're a customer-facing PM or something, which is fantastic and I hope this policy continues.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

what the gently caress is an "influencer"

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Filthy Hans posted:

its a person who makes pocket money off ads and selling products while living off their trust fund

but this time...on APPS!

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Filthy Hans posted:

a popular social media person that shills for products

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Filthy Hans posted:

It's like "job creator" except somehow even less believable as an argument for why someone is good.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
a moderately attractive person who posts selfies on instagram and has a huge following for some inexplicable reason, and then shills for profits

ostensibly anyone on social media who shills for profits as well

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Filthy Hans posted:

remember how you could join an MLM scheme and purchase a ton of cutco knives and amway products to try and shill to your family?

well now you can do that with any product and to a much larger audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Tetracube posted:

a moderately attractive person who posts selfies on instagram and has a huge following for some inexplicable reason, and then shills for profits

ostensibly anyone on social media who shills for profits as well

a few weeks ago at a brewpub I saw these guys spending an hour meticulously rearranging a plate of sliders and taking pictures. Monitored the geotag and they posted a single photo a week later with a caption shilling for the place.

It was a young asian bro and this shlubby middle aged guy, but the Instagram account only mentioned the bro. Shlubby guy was Cyrano de Bergerac'ing instagram